X

[Horde] Guide To Becoming A Badarse Horde Basher

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Horde] Guide To Becoming A Badarse Horde Basher

Click image for larger version  Name:	Fortnite Horde.png Views:	1 Size:	606.1 KB ID:	76652

Made: October 5th, 2017

Click image for larger version  Name:	Fancy Line.png Views:	1 Size:	18.7 KB ID:	76653OPENING Click image for larger version  Name:	Fancy Line.png Views:	1 Size:	18.7 KB ID:	76653

Hey, you! Yes, you! Are you looking to become a badarse horde basher? Well then, this guide is for you! I'll be sharing some tips, tricks and strategies that will ensure that you will gain the ability to dominate the storm in Fortnite: Horde Bash.

So then, let's begin!

Disclaimer: As the name implies, this is a starter guide and as such, anything said may not apply to higher level content.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Fancy Line.png Views:	1 Size:	18.7 KB ID:	76653UTILIZING DEFENDERS Click image for larger version  Name:	Fancy Line.png Views:	1 Size:	18.7 KB ID:	76653

In horde mode, each player starts off every match with a handful of free defender pads. EVERY player within the match can summon one defender for a total of 4 players and 4 defenders. Note that this is how the mode is intended to be played and everyone within the match should absolutely place down one pad per base, utilizing the pad near the base currently under attack within the wave. Be aware that there is absolutely no reason not to use defenders in this mode! The more defenders, the higher the damage output, the faster you complete the kill x amount waves!

At the initial, lower levels of horde mode, I recommend that each player use a rifleman type defender as they are effective at every range. They should be given a semi-automatic assault weapon that uses light or medium rounds for the highest ammo efficiency. Weapon rarity should be common, uncommon or rare, kept at 1 star but leveled to 10. The reason for this being that said rarities can easily dispatch enemies and yet take very few materials to craft within the mode. This is especially important if you don't have the 'Horde Combat Resources: Weapon Ingredients' nodes unlocked within the horde research tree.

Using this strategy, you will be able to craft two rare weapons at the very start of the match. I recommend one weapon for your defender and one weapon for yourself.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Fancy Line.png Views:	1 Size:	18.7 KB ID:	76653SHARING AMMO Click image for larger version  Name:	Fancy Line.png Views:	1 Size:	18.7 KB ID:	76653

Sharing is caring and is imperative to your success! At the start of the match and after every successful wave, you will be given ammo of every type. All ammo (and materials) you receive through the match are lost after every match, regardless if you win or lose. As such, there is no reason to hoard! Remember, this is horde mode, not hoard mode!

If a defender or player is in need of some ammo, consider helping them out, especially if they require an ammo type you aren't even using. Remember, you'll be given ammo of every type after each successful wave, so you'll always have ammo to spare!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Fancy Line.png Views:	1 Size:	18.7 KB ID:	76653WEAPONRY Click image for larger version  Name:	Fancy Line.png Views:	1 Size:	18.7 KB ID:	76653

As I said within the Utilizing Defenders section, at the initial, lower levels of horde mode, common, uncommon and rare weapons do more than enough damage to dispatch most enemies within 1-3 hits. Going by material cost, damage and efficiency, both you and your defender should be using a rare weapon that is kept at 1 star but leveled to 10 within these levels. Said weapon should have a medium to high attack speed and use light or medium ammo if ranged. Avoid using slow melee weapons and burst ranged weapons. I recommend having any fast melee weapon and a pistol, assault weapon or sniper rifle.

To conserve ammo, you should consider crafting a melee weapon if you made a ranged weapon at the start of the match. To increase killing speed and efficiency, you should consider crafting a ranged weapon if you made a melee weapon at the start of the match. WARNING: You will not be able to craft evolved weapons within these early matches as you are only supplied with copper ore and have no means of obtaining other ore types.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Fancy Line.png Views:	1 Size:	18.7 KB ID:	76653HEROES Click image for larger version  Name:	Fancy Line.png Views:	1 Size:	18.7 KB ID:	76653

Due to how quickly you'll be able to kill enemies with your weapons at lower levels, I highly recommend that you take a hero that is capable of AOE damage. As such, soldiers and ninjas are highly valuable. Since gathering is disabled within horde mode, avoid using outlanders outside of Deadeye. Constructors with a strong BASE are helpful, but unnecessary at earlier levels where the enemy should get nowhere near your base. The best defense at these levels is a strong offense!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Fancy Line.png Views:	1 Size:	18.7 KB ID:	76653HORDE SKILL TREE Click image for larger version  Name:	Fancy Line.png Views:	1 Size:	18.7 KB ID:	76653

You'll want to focus on offense as best as you can in the earlier stages of horde mode. Doing this will ensure that you are able to kill your enemies before they get to your base. I recommend that you start by unlocking the bottom nodes listed as 'Horde Combat Resources'. In my opinion, the best order to unlock these nodes is as followed: Wood, Trap Ingredients, Ammo, Stone, Weapon Ingredients, Weapon Ingredients, Metal, Trap Ingredients

Click image for larger version  Name:	Fancy Line.png Views:	1 Size:	18.7 KB ID:	76653BUILDING Click image for larger version  Name:	Fancy Line.png Views:	1 Size:	18.7 KB ID:	76653

At the start of the match and after each successful wave, you'll be given various materials in order to build. At the early levels of horde mode, I recommend using these materials to build uncommon or rare wall darts on stone walls. Avoid using wood and metal as you'll be using these materials to craft ammo. As with your weapons, said uncommon or rare wall darts should be kept at 1 star and leveled to 10. Since wall darts are ranged traps, you should consider placing them in strategic positions at a distance from the enemies path.

Doing so will ensure that your traps aren't destroyed by propane. You'll want your wall darts to hit the enemy before they come into your defenders range. If the traps are able to kill the enemies before they make it to you and your defenders, you'll save ammo. Wall traps also kill propane husks without setting them off! Avoid placing these traps on the walls near your base.

This will ensure that they aren't attacked by ranged enemies or any stray melee enemy that makes it through, such as a smasher. Defender pads should be built on stone floors that you can upgrade as time goes on. Said pads should be built away from your base for the same reason as the wall traps. Remember to keep defender pads repaired! If a defender pad is destroyed, your defender vanishes until a new pad is placed!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Fancy Line.png Views:	1 Size:	18.7 KB ID:	76653CLOSING Click image for larger version  Name:	Fancy Line.png Views:	1 Size:	18.7 KB ID:	76653

I hope this guide was able to help you in some way. Please keep in mind that everything you see is subject to change and I will consider updating the thread if necessary. Feel free to leave feedback and suggestions and consider up-voting this thread if you found it helpful!

Last edited by ᴷ9000; 10-06-2017, 01:50 AM.

Well thx for the guide, good info there. I do have some question tho so maybe you might know the answers...

1. How can I reset my base itself, if it's even possiable to do?
    2. How do I get more resources so when in the setup stage I can actually build a larger base to go into the mode with?

Comment

Originally posted by Mishtif View Post
      Well thx for the guide, good info there. I do have some question tho so maybe you might know the answers...

1. How can I reset my base itself, if it's even possiable to do?
      2. How do I get more resources so when in the setup stage I can actually build a larger base to go into the mode with?
      1. You can edit your base at any time by going to Map > The Horde > Build The Fort. To be clear, if you destroy anything, all of the resources will return to your inventory.
      2. You can increase your base size and the amount of resources you can use to build your base by going to Skills > Horde. The top trees level up your staging area.

Comment

As a Constructor, our strategies are very different!

Base design is tantamount to success or failure, especially if you get one of the disastrous "Propane Waves" or "Lobber Waves" while repairing is temporarily disabled.

Maximizing your pregame bonus is important, especially if your BASE has recycling. You never know how AWFUL your teammates will be until you look; assume you will be spending everything you get each wave, on everyone else's forts; your own fort needs to stand with no attention at all. You can save early on by having a large, well-designed initial fort and therefore have the flexibility to, say, completely overhaul someone's bad idea of a pyramid sandwich.

But I do agree you should use a Defender in every round! I prefer Sniper defenders myself, they can be set up on top of a building and they will pick off units with a minimum of maintenance.

Comment

The supply drop gadget was also useful IMO, get to use it quite a few times due to the timeframe for the mission.

Comment

I just did a successful tier 2 defense and got neither a tier 1 skill node nor a tier 2 skill node. Is that a bug or is this part of the "6 times a day limit" that I've seen in chat? If it is the 6 times a day thing then when does it reset because it gave no warning and I did it after midnight server time. So that means it doesn't reset at 6pm EDT (because I played twice before then) nor 12am EDT. (because the 7th run was after that)

Comment

Originally posted by Doombringer101 View Post
              The supply drop gadget was also useful IMO, get to use it quite a few times due to the timeframe for the mission.
              Agreed. Especially when you are just starting out and don't have the resource skill nodes unlocked yet.

Comment

Originally posted by ShaggyLives View Post
                I just did a successful tier 2 defense and got neither a tier 1 skill node nor a tier 2 skill node. Is that a bug or is this part of the "6 times a day limit" that I've seen in chat? If it is the 6 times a day thing then when does it reset because it gave no warning and I did it after midnight server time. So that means it doesn't reset at 6pm EDT (because I played twice before then) nor 12am EDT. (because the 7th run was after that)
                See it as 6 slots you have for reward. You do one missions,one slot goes in cooldown for 24 h. It will be available 24h later. You do another mission behind,same story.
                Each reward is on a separate timer,depending on when you made it go on cooldown.
                And yes,the skill points count toward that.

It also means that,if you can,you might want to get your 6 first point then rush horde bash as much as possible to get as high as possible and start gaining t2 skill points,get better tickets rewards and to get xp if possible. (Or you do the same and rush t3 if you're in Canny)
                You MIGHT come back to t1 for the expand staging area,and even,I'm not sure it will be mandatory.
                Yes,it's tedious as **** to spam horde bash,especially with no reward,I know about it (Although it has it's fun moments). But be it xp,reward or skill tree wise,this is the most efficient way.

Comment

Great post, great work!

Comment

Nice guide. Definitely helped me out the first time in. Forgot to level a dang melee weapon tho :(

Comment

Originally posted by Tolinar View Post
                      As a Constructor, our strategies are very different!

Base design is tantamount to success or failure, especially if you get one of the disastrous "Propane Waves" or "Lobber Waves" while repairing is temporarily disabled.

Maximizing your pregame bonus is important, especially if your BASE has recycling. You never know how AWFUL your teammates will be until you look; assume you will be spending everything you get each wave, on everyone else's forts; your own fort needs to stand with no attention at all. You can save early on by having a large, well-designed initial fort and therefore have the flexibility to, say, completely overhaul someone's bad idea of a pyramid sandwich.

But I do agree you should use a Defender in every round! I prefer Sniper defenders myself, they can be set up on top of a building and they will pick off units with a minimum of maintenance.
                      Any suggestions on base design so we don't end up as the bad idea of a pyramid sandwich?

Comment

After filling up the bottom of tier 1 nodes, making one tier 1 spike trap and 10 metal left over in base mode, these are the mats I have to start a tier 2 fight. Scavenger weapons come in very handy because even though they don't have a lot of durability, they are cheaper to make so with these mats I can start with a 2 star epic sword, 2 star epic scavenger axe (for my defender) and a 2 star epic scavenger sniper ( to take out those pesky lobbers and propane canisters)

Comment

Originally posted by Kalizaar View Post

Any suggestions on base design so we don't end up as the bad idea of a pyramid sandwich?
                          The base design I'm working with right now is good against Smasher parties and Lobber frenzies. It's a flat top pyramid with four arches to connect a B.A.S.E. one floor above and then two more arches on the B.A.S.E. lvl to attach an umbrella above. I added two slanted walls to give easy access for a constructor to get up without being a path for husks. Smashers run right over pyramids only damaging the arches, so I hang around up top rebuilding arches as they smash them to save the umbrella. It helps to have a rocker launcher schematic handy so you can do some major damage to the Smashers before they charge or when they stop.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalizaar View Post

Flat walls are your friend. They can hold traps and defender pads. Make sure your base has room for a variety of help. In particular a tower with a Z Level at least 3 high is handy for snipers, and a building with windows is a good place to put an Assault or Shotgun defender. Defenders without defenses tend to die quickly,ironically. Just have good places to put Defender Pads and clever players will do the rest.

If you have recycling, build plenty of tier 1 walls and maximize your gains.
                            Otherwise, make sure the bottom floor of your base is made of especially hard stuff.

Don't make your base hard to navigate. Wander around it aimlessly for 15-20 minutes and see if you get stuck or confused even once. If you do, it needs fixing big time - it's your base, how could YOU get lost in it?

You can build lots of good things, like pillboxes, sniper towers, overhangs, palisades.... your creativity is a powerful weapon. But be wary of the Horde, they get rather creative mods as well.

Comment

Do tier 1 point investments translate to higher teirs? Especially the base materials and footprint expansions?
                              Last edited by Promethien; 10-07-2017, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X