X

Why does my damage suck?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why does my damage suck?

My damage output seems to be falling way behind. I am at power 17 and in power 15 zones, it is taking 3-4 headshots with an epic pistol to bring down a single regular husk and 3-4 headshots with a shotgun to bring down a husky husk. I am starting to fail 'protect the survivor' missions because I can't bring husks down fast enough.

My weapons are all rare or epic. I have maxed out my skill tree as far as I can at this point. My squads are almost all epic or better, with matching leaders & personalities where possible & sensible (ex: using an unmatched epic over a matched common).

I would plow more experience into the various places (schematics, heroes, and survivors), but the impact seems to be minimal.

I seem to be missing something and I don't know what.

Screenshots attached.
    Attached Files

I have the same problem before and what I did is recycle and retires things and survivors and heroes and level up only about 3 weapons and my used survivors. You can't use more than one weapon anyway. Also, that pistol does somewhat low damage. It even says it the description. Though not 4 headshots bad.

Only if a weapon has a great perk or extremely rare than you should keep it.
    Last edited by ZNemerald; 11-06-2017, 09:25 PM.

Comment

First off people are prolly more apt to help if you attach images not downloads to your post, I for one am not downloading those pdfs, but I'll still offer input.

Enemies get tougher and tougher as the game goes on which means a single headshot will eventually become 2 and eventually become 3 etc etc, this is pretty normal in games enemies get harder as you get stronger and you haven't ran into elemental husks which get various damage resistances including 50% damage reduction from non-elemental damage.

Some weapons don't have a high headshot modifier an example would be shotguns that barely get a bonus and you're usually better off shooting center mass so more pellets hit the target effectively increasing your damage more than a headshot offers in most cases.

Offense is the only character stat that contributes to damage of weapons so boosting your hero level will improve your health and skills, but not weapon damage likewise boosting survivors not on offensive squads won't help either. Leveling schematics obviously boosts the damage of your crafted weapon and unlocks the perks which also serves as a boost to damage so putting exp there will improve the damage you deal, but only up to a point. You have an effective level stat which is increased through the purchase of the skill tree entering each area, for Stonewood that effective level is 20 for Plankerton 30, Canny it's 40, and Twine allows full benefit from level 50 weapons so if you really find yourself lacking you can utilize tier 2 weapons (silver quality) in Stonewood. When you backplay you lose the trees from previous areas for instance if I backplay I wouldn't be able to get full benefit from any of my Malachite or higher weapons because the node to use level 20+ weapons is unocked in a tree higher than the Stonewood tree, the exception is that you get to keep hero skills and gadget skills that you unlocked, but the stats of your heroes are reduced accordingly still. So my level 40 Jonesy is essentially a level 20 when playing Canny likewise my survivors count as level 20 instead of anything above though with survivors it tends to be a bit moot as there are also stat caps for each area for your FORT stats and once you hit those caps they're capped and you can only get stronger for those areas through party stats being given to you from other players which are also subject to the cap.

One thing with the weapons you listed is they both have low range, if you shoot past their range their damage dramatically reduces, the higher you go the harder enemies are going to be so you might be tempted to fight from a larger distance, but that reduces the damage you deal so you run the risk of failing objectives if you try to play it too safe.

If you're still having trouble dealing damage and you really feel like you need to increase it you can forsake some of your other stats by matching bonuses on squads that give Fortitude, Resistance or Tech making sure your survivors in that squad give Range Damage (or melee damage, but you only mentioned ranged weapons) Matching 3 survivors with Range Damage as their ability will give you 5% damage.

You should ignore ZNemerald though since you can get by on weapons you loot in game so any perk even a poor one makes your crafted weapons better. You should level weapons that are types you like and even if they don't have great perks having the weapon you're most comfortable with is a largely benefit then a weapon with great perks that you loathe using. Play the Halloween event, you should still be able to complete it and completing it gives you the Grave Digger a legendary Assault Rifle that uses Medium Ammo and has a solid set of guaranteed perks. If you feel your weapons are lack luster it's a very solid weapon that you're guaranteed to get for completing the event and along the way you'll get a Pathfinder AC a Legendary Sword Schematic your choice of an Epic of some of the best heroes in the game and your choice of a legendary hero which though are "worse" classes in most cases (Sarah is the 2nd best Ninja in the game IMO and the best being from a previous event and thus unobtainable at this point) they're still pretty solid. Weapon type trumps perks, if you loathe sniper rifles even if you have perfect rolls on it, you should use your just okay Pistol or whatever that you actually like over it.

*Edit*
      Upon reading ZN's full post it sounds like you're using the Haywire variant pistol and with you mentioning it being an Epic going out on a limb as saying you're using the Founder's Revolt. The Founder's Revolt is capable of 2 shot kills on normal husks through most of Stonewood when leveled to 10 so it sounds like you don't have it leveled properly. Power on the weapon doesn't mean much it's just an arbitrary calculation of the rarity combined with it's level/tier all Legendaries start at 20 power, but an Epic that reaches 20 power will be stronger than a lvl 1 legendary this gap increases as items level so the power level of a legendary gets higher faster than a lower rarity but if that lower rarity match the power level it'll be stronger as it'll be a much higher level which you have to watch the cap for the area you're at, but lower rarities are cheaper to level so early on it's definitely easier to level lower rarity guns to the cap than higher rarities one for a cheap power boost albeit fleeting since a level 20 legendary vs a level 20 epic the legendary will of course be stronger, that said it's nice to have an epic since they use Rotating Gizmos instead of Active Powercells so they're not competing for the same rare ingredient. Level up the Revolt to level 10 and don't try to match the weapons power level to the area you're playing since an Epic at level 1 is displayed as 15 power. If you're going to craft something you want them to be max level so if you're going to make a copper weapon you want it to be level 10 to get the most out of it. Only when deciding to change the material do you have to think about if it's worth it or not otherwise there's 0 loss to leveling a weapon and you only need to think about the tiers since if you're not finding silver and you increase the weapon to t2 which then requires silver you may not be able to craft it until later and when you change the tier personally I'd wait to do so until I have the schematic exp to max it's level in the next tier making sure I can go from level 10 copper to level 20 silver in one go instead of keeping it a level 10 silver or anything below max level for that tier since again leveling doesn't increase the cost and it does increase the effectiveness quite a bit.
      Last edited by Dwlr; 11-06-2017, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Mainly because you're using the fast rof pistol. Try a hand cannon or even a six shooter would better than what you have (I'm assuming you enjoy using the pistols like me lol) always keep an eye on the "roll" you get too, the extra perks make the difference between an average and God weapon. Also you need to start spending some experience to take advantage of the extra perks. Depending on the perks on your assault rifle it can be good as well as fun to use

Comment

Okay with the attachements appearing as screens I don't have to download I'm just going to make a new post with the info.

Dealing with your screens of your survivor squads, if you're mainly concerned with damage which judging by the topic you are you're not optimize the squads that give damage. Matching personalities is all fine and well and gives you a bonus, but the amount of bonus you get is based on the rarity of the lead survivor, matching the personality of a mythic lead gives the most bonus and going further not matching the personality of a mythic actually decreases the survivor's power level (It's minor seems like a flat 2 power, but my highest survivor is level 20 since I've spaced my exp out among a large number of survivors instead of focusing on level a single survivor as high as they can go, that maximizes your power since it's cheaper exp to level them evenly.) Legendary leads provide the large and they don't give a downgrade to the survivor if the survivor's personality doesn't match theirs obviously if you have a mythic they have higher power themselves and the downgrade isn't really worth using a Legendary over a Mythic lead MOST of the time, if you have a legendary and you can match enough survivor's personality to the legendary and your mythic matches none then the Legendary Lead can afford you a higher bonus than the Mythic one, but I tend to just level my highest rarities and hope things fall into place later rather than hassling with optimizing at any given time based on personalities, yes it's worse, no it doesn't really weaken me enough to make a real impact, but I digress. If you primary concern is power your best survivors should be attached to you combat squads. As if stands now you have a Legendary Smasher that doesn't even match the personality on your tech squad, you have a Legendary Lobber you could move over from Scouting Party sacrificing some Shields to move over a stronger survivor to offense and since you'll likely want the legendaries leveled in the end you can focus on leveling them instead of your epic survivors to ensure that even if they don't match your leader they still give larger bonuses than what you have to offense. I personally use my Resistance and Fortitude squads for extra offense I sacrifice stats in those areas since I don't have a problem with surviving and prioritize matching abilities that increase my Range Damage on those slots, it's not that much 5% for 3 slots, but every little bit helps and I don't really lose anything since I don't need the survivability, you could do the same on your EMT Squad and your Scouting Party and at the lower levels that 5% is going to have a much larger relative impact on your damage than it does mine.

Centurion is a pretty middle of the line Soldier IMO, it's the only Soldier to have Kneecapper, Lingering Pain, and War Cry so you get a hefty boost there, but consider that you really lack anything outside of that. War Cry is pretty strong base and improvements too it are kind of wasted since it's 10 seconds up and 90 seconds down so for 90% of the time any passives that go to buffing War Cry aren't doing you any good at all and you're not going to notice a real significant difference from a standard War Cry and Centurion's tbh. Looking at your roster Epic Beetlejess and the Ranger has good damage passives in regards to pistols where the Ranger lacks is that you don't really have combat actives, but consider that most of the game you're relying on gunplay and melee not your skills you can get by with the Outlander's lackluster active skills, but if you're using a pistol primarily you're probably going to notice larger numbers using Beetlejess. Out of your roster however I'd personally recommend waiting to level any more heroes and finish the Halloween event. The legendary Shuriken Master is still a top tier Ninja much better than the Founder Assassin Ninjas despite the grumblings of those who used the class pre-nerf which are honestly just bitter about losing any power, but if Dragon has an edge over it as it stands IMO. Personally would rank Dragon Ninja the 2nd best Ninja behind the previous events Energy Thief and at the end of the Halloween event Sarah Hotep is the Dragon Ninja class with that said you're using the Assassin as both your support slot and the ability they afford is sub-par IMO. I notice your Ken isn't leveled and your Sarah is I would recommend using your Beeltejess as your support as you get a boost to Pistol Damage which you said you were using and it's an actual offensive stat instead of Energy which currently your hero can't even use very effectively if you wanted to (since War Cry has such a long duration you're using Energy mostly for running and you don't need the extra). and for your tactical you need to have that hero at 2 star before you can unlock their skill there and I'm not seeing a lot of good choices so I'd hold off and just put the best hero you're not using in the Tactical Slot for now. (Rescue Trooper Ramirez has a decent tactical, but you're not using Assault Rifles and right now you just have a Rare and you really want Epic or higher for heroes so you can get all their skills, the differences between and Epic and Legendary are pretty negligible so don't get rarity blind and use a legendary just because they're legendary, which I feel like is somewhat happening when you're not using Beetlejess and instead using your Legendary Assassin Sarah as a Support.) If you luck into a Skull Trooper Jonesy it's pretty much the undisputed best ranged character in the game (if you don't mind burning more resources for the DPS trade off) and they come at Epic or Higher (if you haven't done any of the Halloween event you can pick the Epic version, but I'm just guessing that that's where Beetlejess came from) and even if you don't want to use him as your active character Headshot Damage from his Support is very good and universal to all weapon types.

I wouldn't bother with anything below Epic, they cap out at 4 stars instead of 5 so in the long run they're going to fall short you're also spacing out your schematic experience instead of focusing on one or two weapons THAT is going to greatly impact the damage you deal since you could have had one weapon level 10 by now and you're going to see a much better trade off focusing on your favorites rather than trying to spread it evenly. The Founder's Revolt is a great choice, it's rapid fire, accurate, elemental, and semi-auto so you can control the bullet expenditure better than a spray and pray weapon, but you only have it level 3 out of 10 because you've been spreading your schematic exp around if it was 10 out of 10 not only would it be much more effective you'd save resources since it'd go further for you. You said it takes you 4 headshots now to kill a basic husk if you leveled it, you'd reduce the number of shots it takes to kill them easily and less shots used means less time/resources for getting bullets, less durability loss since it's based on your usage not the damage dealt thus saving you on Rotating Gizmos, String, Blast Powder and Ore since your weapon will go farther with each craft. Basically you're not maximizing your damage, because you're not committing to a single weapon, you can only use one gun at a time after all so focus on maximizing that gun's damage first even if it means you just craft one type of weapon for awhile at your level you don't need to worry about matching elements since there are none so a single gun of any type will do you. Secondly I see you leveling your great axe melee weapon you clearly chose the Ninja so you're going to get the Legendary Founder Masamune which is a high tech elemental melee, you don't need to worry about that now, but it's going to be the better option in general. You're not showing the perks so it's hard to comment on how your weapons are, but you're also hovering over rares which again I wouldn't bother with so it doesn't matter and the Revolt's perks are fixed. The ones that would be helpful to see are your Ranger and that legendary Sniper you have, but if you focus on the Halloween event you'll get the Gravedigger a legendary medium ammo rifle that is well above average since your Revolt is Epic it'd be nice to have a legendary so you can split use of Active Power Cells and Rotating Gizmos so you can use both. it's good to have different elements and ammo types too so Revolt being Nature and Light while Gravedigger is Fire and Medium syncs as well.
          -
          Level an Epic or higher schematic to 10 and use it instead of spreading your schematic exp around you'll notice a vast immediate power boost.
          You should prioritize finishing the Halloween event it's gone soon and if you miss the Gravedigger and the free legendary sword schematic and the free legendary hero at the end you could be kicking yourself later. The Gravedigger is a good weapon and you don't have to rely on RNG to get it so you really don't want to miss it while it's available.
          Blazing Masamune is high tech and fire it's likely he legendary sword schematic from the event won't roll better than the Masamune so try to focus on getting the legendary version of the Masamune and prioritize leveling your Gravedigger when you get it, your legendary or epic Masamune, I'd probably not do both though, and your Revolt. If you luck out with the Legendary Schematic from the Halloween event considering leveling that sword and then leveling the Epic Masamune so you have a Gizmo and Power Cell option among your melee weapon as well and potentially different elements since the Masamune is fire and the Gravedigger is fire so it'd be nice if you could get a water something or another to have at least 1 of each to set yourself up for the easiest time later on or even an Energy weapon if you want to use a more specialized load out and need a general purpose weapon to accommodate the other slots havign a specific purpose.

Comment

what you need to do is level up the guys in your offense to lvl 20, then you will do much more damage.
            Also I would level up beetlejuice to 20 and use her instead of wildcat, if you want to use pistols. A lvl 20 beetlejuice can work all the way up to twine if u like.
            don't bother leveling any survivors unless they are slotted into your offense slots. Keep the rest lvl 1 its' fine. Later when ur offense is max u can lvl tech.
            if you need hero exp, offer to help when people are asking for help with thier stormshield defenses.
            Last edited by macsdf1; 11-12-2017, 07:40 AM.

Comment

I saw there Charger shotgun ( blue one ). Check if you got it with elemental damage. I use it and it works like a miracle for whole first map in PvE. In second part of Plankerton i stop to use it ,but still we have some good time together bashing some zombies:-)

Comment

ok its simple. if you can upgrade it. do it. if you can evolve it do it. if its not unlocked unlock it. that solves your problem. your hero is nt capped, your guns arnt capped. your squads arnt capped, and i bet niether are your traps. also make a note to yourself just putting a person in a slot doesnt make you better. check the bonuses they all give before slotting them. and if your not going to use it. recycle it

Comment

Originally posted by Honsoku View Post
                  My damage output seems to be falling way behind. I am at power 17 and in power 15 zones, it is taking 3-4 headshots with an epic pistol to bring down a single regular husk and 3-4 headshots with a shotgun to bring down a husky husk. I am starting to fail 'protect the survivor' missions because I can't bring husks down fast enough.

My weapons are all rare or epic. I have maxed out my skill tree as far as I can at this point. My squads are almost all epic or better, with matching leaders & personalities where possible & sensible (ex: using an unmatched epic over a matched common).

I would plow more experience into the various places (schematics, heroes, and survivors), but the impact seems to be minimal.

I seem to be missing something and I don't know what.

Screenshots attached.
                  I suggest you recycle (it gives you schematic xp) all your blue schematics and focus on upgrading either the raygun or the pistol. I wouldn't really focus on Hero level or defender level until end game. When you upgrade the pistol or raygun, it will probably give you damage or crit boost. It should be good for a few pages of quests.

Hope this is helpful

Comment

For Heroes & Weapons, recycle anything that is blue or below, choose which hero's playstyle you refer, and rank it up. Then look which weapon will synergize with it, and rank it up. Remember to focus your XP expenditure, and depending on your level, consider leveling up your weapons from T1 (tier 1) to T2, or T3.
                    Match survivors symbols, you'll get boosts.
                    In the future, once you'll be geared enough, put in the collection anything that is below Legendary for weapons and heroes, even if you never had it before. Traps are an exception : keep the plans of the highest rarity.

Comment

Working...
                    X