Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does my Device not run Fortnite? Read this.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As the Android Beta of Fortnite rolls out on Android Devices, we are receiving a flood of topics stating their device cannot play Fortnite, though they claim their phone can handle it.

First let's take a look at the minimum requirements to run Fortnite on an Android device:
    Originally posted by Official Android FAQ
    Minimum Requirements:
    • RAM: 3GB or higher
    • GPU: Adreno 530 or higher, Mali-G71 MP20, Mali-G72 MP12 or higher
    Operating System (OS):
    1. Your device needs to run on an ARM chip that is 64-bit. Fortnite does not support 32-bit devices.
    2. Your device must be on Android 5.0, also named Android Lolipop, or later.

RAM:
    1. Android devices require at least 3 GB of RAM in order to be able to run Fortnite.

Q: But iPhones are able to run on 2 GB of RAM. Why does Android require 3 GB?
    A: Apple's products are using proprietary technology and has a limited selection of devices manufactured. Android is an open-sourced Operating System, not a device that is manufactured. It's easier to test and optimize for iOS over Android as there are millions of devices running on Android using different manufactured parts and brands. Therefore a general optimization safety net is used as all Android devices utilizing 3 GB of RAM should be able to handle Fortnite, where as major possibilities of 2 GB devices on Android wouldn't be able to play nor enjoy the experience.

GPU (THIS IS THE BIG ONE):
    1. The minimum GPU required is listed as one of three standard GPU chips:
    - Adreno 530 or higher
    - Mali-G71 MP20 or higher
    - Mali-G72 MP12 or higher

You need to look at GPU specifications for your phone. Many budget phones come with 64-bit Android OS (6.0, 7.0, 8.0), 4 GB+ of RAM, but then have a budget GPU in them. That's like building a BEAST of a computer, but then put a 5 to 10 year old Video Card in it. There's no issue with that when using a device for the specific purpose of what the device was made for, but the GPU just isn't good enough to handle a high-end mobile version of a game like Fortnite.

Q: I have a Mali-G71 GPU (listed in the minimum requirements), but it still doesn't work or says my GPU isn't supported?
    A: There are different manufactured versions of a named GPU Chip. The Multi-Processing (MP) number listed with the GPU defines how much your particular GPU is able to process at once. The difference in MP number reflect the GPU's clock speed a number of processing units it handles. Example: A Mali-G71 MP2 is able calculate 2 processing units clocked in the 700 MHz range, while a Mali-G71 MP20 (minimum Fortnite requirement) is able to calculate 8 processing units in the 900 MHz range. This is a huge difference in processing.

How do I know if my device meets the minimum requirements?
    If you know your device model, and the manufacturer's year of design, then a quick search that uses "<My Device> Full Phone Specifications" will bring up several websites which you can use to see what parts are in your phone, including the CPU Chip, OS, RAM, and GPU.

Will Fortnite's Minimum Requirements be lowered?
    While anything is possible, do not expect Fortnite's minimum requirements to be lowered for Android.

Originally posted by Tim Sweeney, CEO and Founder of Epic Games
    Fortnite is the same game across platforms and is playable with friends across platforms. That means we can’t make any gameplay-changing optimizations for low-end Android devices, as PUBG Mobile does.
    This essentially states that because Fortnite Battle Royale is the same game ported to mobile devices, and allows cross-play with every other platform, changing requirements would affect gameplay not just on the device, but the value of entertainment across all devices with cross-play support.

Fortnite Battle Royale is not a game designed for budget phones. It's a huge achievement to even be able port a game of it's caliber to mobile devices at all. Please understand that many devices will not be able to handle the game. However, if your mobile device meets ALL of the requirements stated above, including a GPU's MP identifier, and still doesn't work, then chances are it may become available in the future.

I hope this post is informative and everyone understands.

Thanks!
    - Tank.
    Last edited by TΑΝK; 08-12-2018, 06:27 PM.
    Community Moderator (Forum Llama )

Note: I do not work for Epic Games. I'm only an active community member volunteering information where I can.
Working...
X