Silenced SMG is kinda decent so far.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Author membership
  • Show
Clear All

• Silenced SMG is kinda decent so far.

It may not be AR but its not unreliable as the other subs.
    So far I manage to take down 2 people with it with other people in close proximity but they were oblivious to my precence. ( the opponents did not manage to get a shot of )
    got into multiple firefights with it without feeling I died because of the gun. (which I often do when I have the other ''scrubs'')

Wonder what other people experience with this piece of equipment is.

Great to hear you've been having success with the new Silenced SMG! How is everyone else enjoying their experiences with it so far?

Comment

I like it, it’s always cool to have more veriations of weapons. I found the silenced SMG drop rate a little off. I found only 2 of them in 10 games. (I did find some late game when I kill people) but I’m taking about spawns and chests

Comment

The problem remains that there is just no reason to carry one, like what are you going to give up from your ideal equip, or would you seriously take a top-tier Rare Silenced SMG over a standard (now rather overpowered) AR? The AR's are now so deadly, that a slight reduction to sound isn't worth the trade.
        I am now able to use AR's and Scar's regularly at close range, making even switching to a shotgun much less necessary. I don't think the two changes go hand in hand... A buff to SMG's, but a far greater buff to AR's. I think the balance between the two should be as such to make the player consider: "Hmm, should I opt for good close-mid range... or good mid-long range?". Currently with the damage you can pump out (and extremely accurately even from hip-fire) with the AR, all SMG's stay in this "If I don't have anything else" space.

To make the SMG's shine, they have to perform better than all AR's up close, every time. AR's need to have reduced damage at close and long range. I just did something like 98 damage to a guy that looked like a single pixel on my screen in the last match I played... I am now also jump/hip-fire killing guys with AR's in the same situations I'd have done it with a shotgun.

Comment

Originally posted by 88Infamous View Post
          The problem remains that there is just no reason to carry one, like what are you going to give up from your ideal equip, or would you seriously take a top-tier Rare Silenced SMG over a standard (now rather overpowered) AR? The AR's are now so deadly, that a slight reduction to sound isn't worth the trade.
          I am now able to use AR's and Scar's regularly at close range, making even switching to a shotgun much less necessary. I don't think the two changes go hand in hand... A buff to SMG's, but a far greater buff to AR's. I think the balance between the two should be as such to make the player consider: "Hmm, should I opt for good close-mid range... or good mid-long range?". Currently with the damage you can pump out (and extremely accurately even from hip-fire) with the AR, all SMG's stay in this "If I don't have anything else" space.

To make the SMG's shine, they have to perform better than all AR's up close, every time. AR's need to have reduced damage at close and long range. I just did something like 98 damage to a guy that looked like a single pixel on my screen in the last match I played... I am now also jump/hip-fire killing guys with AR's in the same situations I'd have done it with a shotgun.
          I don't agree with the "roles" idea. Shotguns rule close range, I don't even see the need to use an SMG, ever. SMG's are low tier weapons meant for the first couple minutes of the game, and rightfully so. They're weak in theory and in turn, are weak weapons in the game. I think the silenced SMG needs a slight buff in damage, however, as I still seem to be taking a regular SMG rather than a silenced one.

AR's on the other hand, I feel as if they are perfectly balanced now. They don't need a damage nerf, they just need a hipfire nerf.

Comment

Originally posted by AG_Carnivor View Post
            AR's on the other hand, I feel as if they are perfectly balanced now. They don't need a damage nerf, they just need a hipfire nerf.
            I completely disagree.
            I don't see the logic in being able to land for almost 100 damage on an enemy at a great distance, this is more rewarding than a semi-auto sniper. With an AR I don't have to lead my shot or specifically be precise with my shot to be awarded a headshot. Of course they need an adjustment to their damage values with regards to range.

As for the SMG's... You're basically highlighting the problem they have in the game. When you say "SMG's are low tier weapons meant for the first couple minutes of the game" where exactly are you getting this from? Is this official word?
            Let's just use others games as a barometer here... SMG's are indeed typically weaker than AR's in their overall damage output, but they will typically shine in places and playstyles where AR's cannot. Games like Battlefield will literally have an entire class limited to the use of SMG's and they can be extremely efficient, that cannot be said here.
            The reason for that is a poor balance between AR and SMG. I cannot imagine that Epic are making all these revisions, adding a new weapon to the class, all for them to continually be ignored or "for the first couple minutes of the game" - in fact, I highly doubt that. I am sure they would like to see this weapon class utilised more, hence why they're making adjustments to improve the weapons' overall ability, I suspect we will see more improvements yet. All that work isn't worth doing for an "intended" first few minutes of gameplay.
            It would be much better if players had it in mind that they would not want to use an AR at close range and make a choice between an SMG or shotgun. Otherwise the weapon class cannot have a place. I really appreciate the strategical consideration you have to make when changing loot and swapping out equipment, SMG's still do not come into that consideration. I barely even waste my time picking them up at the beginning of a game. A common SMG / bandage chest is known as a Troll Chest.

"I don't even see the need to use an SMG, ever."

Comment

I prefer now to run this now as my ideal setup with this new update.
              Slot 1: AR-
              Slot 2: Silenced Smg
              Slot 3: Bolt or Semi-Auto Sniper
              Slot 4: Explosive, grenade launcher, or rocket launcher
              Slot 5: Medkits or bandages

The new silenced smg is great, most people never use light ammo so you can get a ton of it and its great to try and use on peoples bases or just spraying up close due to its high damage now.
              The silencer makes it a lot quieter that most people cant determine where you shot from and the distance away you shot it from. Yes the bloom on the silenced is very bad, you need to be close to kinda mess someone up but i have a lot better chance of messing someone up with it than a shotgun.

Comment

Better than other SMGs, but still not worth carrying if you have an AR and a Shotgun. Or even just AR actually.
                I like the idea of adding more weapons, but at the same time it just means there's slightly less chances or getting an AR, which feels too good in most situations.

Comment

in my opinion bloom is ok with trigger dicipline. I Can get solid 4-5 hits per burst at medium ranges, It also seems that opponents take longer to pinpoint my location when I get the drop on them.

I won a game almost exclusively using the Silenced SMG. except to wipe someone trying to build up into my fort with a rocket launcher and a disgusting long range scoped rifle kill.

maybe its not a powerhouse, but I just am glad its an viable option.

Comment

I completely disagree.
                    I don't see the logic in being able to land for almost 100 damage on an enemy at a great distance, this is more rewarding than a semi-auto sniper. With an AR I don't have to lead my shot or specifically be precise with my shot to be awarded a headshot. Of course they need an adjustment to their damage values with regards to range.

As for the SMG's... You're basically highlighting the problem they have in the game. When you say "SMG's are low tier weapons meant for the first couple minutes of the game" where exactly are you getting this from? Is this official word?
                    Let's just use others games as a barometer here... SMG's are indeed typically weaker than AR's in their overall damage output, but they will typically shine in places and playstyles where AR's cannot. Games like Battlefield will literally have an entire class limited to the use of SMG's and they can be extremely efficient, that cannot be said here.
                    The reason for that is a poor balance between AR and SMG. I cannot imagine that Epic are making all these revisions, adding a new weapon to the class, all for them to continually be ignored or "for the first couple minutes of the game" - in fact, I highly doubt that. I am sure they would like to see this weapon class utilised more, hence why they're making adjustments to improve the weapons' overall ability, I suspect we will see more improvements yet. All that work isn't worth doing for an "intended" first few minutes of gameplay.
                    It would be much better if players had it in mind that they would not want to use an AR at close range and make a choice between an SMG or shotgun. Otherwise the weapon class cannot have a place. I really appreciate the strategical consideration you have to make when changing loot and swapping out equipment, SMG's still do not come into that consideration. I barely even waste my time picking them up at the beginning of a game. A common SMG / bandage chest is known as a Troll Chest.

In what situation do you actually prefer using SMG's? There's no need to use them once you get a better weapon. Not every weapon needs to shine. There is a perfect reason why shotguns are preferred close range rather than SMG's, wanna know why? Because they're better, and that's how it should be. In no way, shape, or form should shotguns perform worse than SMG's. SMG's only perform better than shotguns between the close and medium ranges, where shotguns have a damage drop off. So, I'm not sure what isn't balanced? SMG's are meant to be that way, and if they weren't, guess what, they wouldn't be.

And where are you getting 100 damage at long ranges with an AR? I main AR's and have never hit 100 damage with any AR other than a Golden Scar. Please explain.

Also, I'm not sure if you noticed, but there are no classes in this game. You pick up a gun, and use it. That's it. How many times do you find yourself using or even bringing an SMG late into the game? Almost never. With that said, my statement is 100% true and I guarantee a high majority of the community will agree with me, that SMG's ARE low tier weapons meant for the first couple minutes of the game WHEN you have nothing else to use.

Comment

I'm not sure you've been following what's going on here, so I'm going to break down your reply one point at a time...

In what situation do you actually prefer using SMG's? There's no need to use them once you get a better weapon.
                      None aside having no other weapon whatsoever. This is my point and you are agreeing with it, whilst assuming I'm opposed to this.
                      I literally come into this thread opening with "The problem remains that there is just no reason to carry one" in reference to SMG's and the new Silenced SMG specifically.

Not every weapon needs to shine. There is a perfect reason why shotguns are preferred close range rather than SMG's, wanna know why? Because they're better, and that's how it should be.
                      Yes, every weapon category should shine in its own respective place. It is fine for a player to prefer a shotgun at close range, there's nothing wrong with that. My position is to draw a greater balance between weapons within the same range, which helps promote weapon diversity and creativity in player choices and actions.

In no way, shape, or form should shotguns perform worse than SMG's. SMG's only perform better than shotguns between the close and medium ranges, where shotguns have a damage drop off. So, I'm not sure what isn't balanced?

SMG's are meant to be that way, and if they weren't, guess what, they wouldn't be.
                      If you have been following the updates and constant player feedback, you will be well aware that constant improvements are being requested and made for the SMG's to bring them into a better place, for the aforementioned reasons I am promoting.

And where are you getting 100 damage at long ranges with an AR? I main AR's and have never hit 100 damage with any AR other than a Golden Scar. Please explain.
                      As I said "almost 100 damage" but I guess you don't really need an explanation as you just said you've experienced it...
                      Anywho, you named one of them. The top tier Scar is almost in every top 10 situation, if not every single one. Despite the gun having the Legendary status, it is not rare at all. You'll have a harder time finding a blue (Rare) Burst Rifle than you will a Legendary Scar. The Legendary Scar can headshot for either 96 or 98 damage at long range. The Rare Assault Rifle can hit for 88 headshot at long range.

Also, I'm not sure if you noticed, but there are no classes in this game. You pick up a gun, and use it. That's it. How many times do you find yourself using or even bringing an SMG late into the game? Almost never. With that said, my statement is 100% true and I guarantee a high majority of the community will agree with me, that SMG's ARE low tier weapons meant for the first couple minutes of the game WHEN you have nothing else to use.
                      Again, this is the exact problem I'm addressing and hoping to see worked upon, so as to help improve weapon diversity.
                      I don't use SMG's, I'm saying they're still bad and the buff's they keep doing aren't working as intended, especially not with such a startling buff to the AR's. Rather than a weapon being "almost never" I hope to see that changed. Diversifying and deepening the field of play, rather than gearing toward a specific one-dimensional meta is the sort of gameplay I promote.
                      Bear in mind, while you may think your statement is "100% true" on what the SMG's are meant to be, it isn't determined by you or me. If Epic decide tomorrow that SMG's are meant to be vicious close range weapons, that's what they'll be.

Let me just stress once more for total clarity... I am not requesting for SMG's to be made better than a shotgun or any of your other favourite weapons, I am in hopes that they better balance the weapon class to bring them out of the obsolete "If I don't have anything else / first few mins" place they're currently in. Does this potentially mean that they may perform better in a specific scenario than one of your current favourite weapons? Sure. But it doesn't mean that they would have to be made better overall. I am sure even with better balancing, that most will opt for a shotgun (this is fine!!!), this is more about incentivising tactical consideration and again; diversifying play.

Comment

I'm not sure you've been following what's going on here, so I'm going to break down your reply one point at a time...

None aside having no other weapon whatsoever. This is my point and you are agreeing with it, whilst assuming I'm opposed to this.
                        I literally come into this thread opening with "The problem remains that there is just no reason to carry one" in reference to SMG's and the new Silenced SMG specifically.

Yes, every weapon category should shine in its own respective place. It is fine for a player to prefer a shotgun at close range, there's nothing wrong with that. My position is to draw a greater balance between weapons within the same range, which helps promote weapon diversity and creativity in player choices and actions.

If you have been following the updates and constant player feedback, you will be well aware that constant improvements are being requested and made for the SMG's to bring them into a better place, for the aforementioned reasons I am promoting.

As I said "almost 100 damage" but I guess you don't really need an explanation as you just said you've experienced it...
                        Anywho, you named one of them. The top tier Scar is almost in every top 10 situation, if not every single one. Despite the gun having the Legendary status, it is not rare at all. You'll have a harder time finding a blue (Rare) Burst Rifle than you will a Legendary Scar. The Legendary Scar can headshot for either 96 or 98 damage at long range. The Rare Assault Rifle can hit for 88 headshot at long range.

Again, this is the exact problem I'm addressing and hoping to see worked upon, so as to help improve weapon diversity.
                        I don't use SMG's, I'm saying they're still bad and the buff's they keep doing aren't working as intended, especially not with such a startling buff to the AR's. Rather than a weapon being "almost never" I hope to see that changed. Diversifying and deepening the field of play, rather than gearing toward a specific one-dimensional meta is the sort of gameplay I promote.
                        Bear in mind, while you may think your statement is "100% true" on what the SMG's are meant to be, it isn't determined by you or me. If Epic decide tomorrow that SMG's are meant to be vicious close range weapons, that's what they'll be.

Let me just stress once more for total clarity... I am not requesting for SMG's to be made better than a shotgun or any of your other favourite weapons, I am in hopes that they better balance the weapon class to bring them out of the obsolete "If I don't have anything else / first few mins" place they're currently in. Does this potentially mean that they may perform better in a specific scenario than one of your current favourite weapons? Sure. But it doesn't mean that they would have to be made better overall. I am sure even with better balancing, that most will opt for a shotgun (this is fine!!!), this is more about incentivising tactical consideration and again; diversifying play.
                        What would you like for them to do? You say you'd like this and that, but don't give any suggestions on how this could be achieved. They just got a buff, and I see no reason why they need to be further buffed to fit your needs. They seem fine now, I only find myself using SMG's when I don't have a shotgun. I think that's a fine combination. SMG's and Shotguns are practically in the same range class, with SMG's having a slightly higher consistency of damage at a further range, but that doesn't mean they aren't usable.

I'm just not understanding your need for the SMG's to have their "own place". Like I said before, shotguns and SMG's fall into the same close quarter area, and clearly one is better than the other. Just like every other game, some weapons shine over others. This isn't Battlefield, either, that's an irrelevant connection to make. SMG's are overall bad guns, that's why they aren't taken to end game, unlike shotguns. They are fine the way they are. You got a buff, deal with it.

Comment

What would you like for them to do? You say you'd like this and that, but don't give any suggestions on how this could be achieved. They just got a buff, and I see no reason why they need to be further buffed to fit your needs. They seem fine now, I only find myself using SMG's when I don't have a shotgun. I think that's a fine combination. SMG's and Shotguns are practically in the same range class, with SMG's having a slightly higher consistency of damage at a further range, but that doesn't mean they aren't usable.

I'm just not understanding your need for the SMG's to have their "own place". Like I said before, shotguns and SMG's fall into the same close quarter area, and clearly one is better than the other. Just like every other game, some weapons shine over others. This isn't Battlefield, either, that's an irrelevant connection to make. SMG's are overall bad guns, that's why they aren't taken to end game, unlike shotguns. They are fine the way they are. You got a buff, deal with it.
                          You're contradicting yourself for the point of argument.

You do realise that SMG's already have their own place right, we've been over this and you've literally highlighted it yourself? I then highlighted it for you again. It's about improving where they sit. Again, there is nothing wrong with one weapon being better than the other within a set range, this is literally a thing in practically every shooter, across all weapon categories. Nobody is expecting replication of efficiency or cloning here.

"They seem fine now" but you have literally came away from saying "I don't even see the need to use an SMG, ever." - how is this fine? Unless of course you do not support improvement and you want less from your gaming experience? Weapons being treated as obsolete by a large population is fine to you? If that's your position and you want less, then fine; not a contradiction. That is where we differ and that seemingly won't change.

Battlefield was used as a barometer, I made that painstakingly clear for you. It stands as just one example of many. It was in response to:
                          "SMG's are low tier weapons meant for the first couple minutes of the game, and rightfully so. They're weak in theory and in turn, are weak weapons in the game." it is a counter to said theory in your broad statement. When you use the word "meant" you really need to fully understand Epic's intention for the weapons. Judging by the pattern in front of me and continual adjustments being made to improve the weapon category, it appears they are intending for them to be in a better place (specifically what I am supporting). It's all a work in progress and I encourage and applaud their efforts thus far; adding a weapon to the category is another good step.

Again, where I think we differ is that I want to see improvements made to help support diversity and you don't want to see such improvements and are happy with less. I will post suggestions for balance on a number of things, including SMG's in another post rather than continuing to go in circles here. You may have the last word.

Comment

You're contradicting yourself for the point of argument.

You do realise that SMG's already have their own place right, we've been over this and you've literally highlighted it yourself? I then highlighted it for you again. It's about improving where they sit. Again, there is nothing wrong with one weapon being better than the other within a set range, this is literally a thing in practically every shooter, across all weapon categories. Nobody is expecting replication of efficiency or cloning here.

"They seem fine now" but you have literally came away from saying "I don't even see the need to use an SMG, ever." - how is this fine? Unless of course you do not support improvement and you want less from your gaming experience? Weapons being treated as obsolete by a large population is fine to you? If that's your position and you want less, then fine; not a contradiction. That is where we differ and that seemingly won't change.

Battlefield was used as a barometer, I made that painstakingly clear for you. It stands as just one example of many. It was in response to:
                            "SMG's are low tier weapons meant for the first couple minutes of the game, and rightfully so. They're weak in theory and in turn, are weak weapons in the game." it is a counter to said theory in your broad statement. When you use the word "meant" you really need to fully understand Epic's intention for the weapons. Judging by the pattern in front of me and continual adjustments being made to improve the weapon category, it appears they are intending for them to be in a better place (specifically what I am supporting). It's all a work in progress and I encourage and applaud their efforts thus far; adding a weapon to the category is another good step.

Again, where I think we differ is that I want to see improvements made to help support diversity and you don't want to see such improvements and are happy with less. I will post suggestions for balance on a number of things, including SMG's in another post rather than continuing to go in circles here. You may have the last word.
                            1. The SMG's are fine, in my eyes, because I see them as sitting where they are suppose to. Low tier weapons that you don't need, but will use if there is no other substitute. You don't seem to get that. How do SMG's being used more give me a better gaming experience? Don't base your judgement off of your own wants that aren't even implemented into the game yet.
                            2. It has nothing to do with diversity. I believe in better balancing and gameplay. Buffing SMG's does not do this. Shotguns are naturally better than SMG's, which is BALANCED.

I'm not dismissing your opinion or argument, as obviously it's an opinion. I can't say that your argument will or will not work out in the future, as I just don't know. I just find the weapon balance in the game to be better now, as I did see the SMG's as too weak of a weapon in the past. I think the new buff is a good change and I think it's the best change. I don't see what you can do to them to make them better other than increasing the damage. But I find the fire right and range to be just fine. Like I said, they are substitutions for shotguns, that's just what they are, and I'm sure everyone can agree on that.

I'm sure EPIC tracks weapon data, and we'll see if the new Silenced SMG is under or over performing or performing just right, and we'll most likely see some changes.

Comment

its awesome compared to the normal smg, iv only found normal silenced smgs, no green or blue yet??
                              its a great change, like others have said i really only use it early game if i have nothing else, soon as i get an AR ill change.
                              shotguns still rule close range, and they should but having the option there is good, at least ill actually pick up the smg now.

Comment

Hell yeah it's awesome compared to the basic one. We need to see some new ones though, like the variables and stuff.

And the opportunity for scopes would be nice!

Comment

What's the point of the silencer when every round is a tracer or am I using the wrong version?

Comment

I main AR's
                                    Don't we all? Unless you're point blank VS a shotgun, AR will most likely win any situation. Snipers is technically better at very long range, but I still see more AR's than snipers since they're hitscans and therefore easier to land, even though it's mostly RNG at this point.

Comment

Meh,Im just sitting here,and waiting the devs to make smg (submachine guns) more powerfull like they said

Comment

Originally posted by [EPIC] MrPopoTFS View Post
                                        Great to hear you've been having success with the new Silenced SMG! How is everyone else enjoying their experiences with it so far?

Oh okay, so youll respond to people complimenting your **** but you wont respond to the people having issues with this false ban ****?

How unethical of you....

Comment

I have seen somebody comment about the new SMG that pretty much hit the spot "it's better then the normal SMGs, but it's still a SMG" and thats pretty much it. I shot a person with full shields yesterday full autofire at short range while even hitting like 2 headshots ... The TTK is pretty high at short to medium distance. Sure if you can get the entire clip in their face it works out, but i would never pick one up over a shotgun with the current TTK on short to medium distance.

Also the "silenced" part doesn't really work out as your opponent still fires and thus making people flock to your general direction. Since the SMG is pretty much a CQC weapon you will most likely be near your opponent. Near enough to also get killed by whoever joins the fight.

Comment

We recently released changes to the Assault Rifle and SCAR in Monday’s hotfix, and have been seeing a lot of discussion about headshot multipliers since then. After some internal testing we have decided to make some changes.

What’s changing?
                                            • Reduced Assault Rifle base damage.
                                              • Common reduced from 32 to 30.
                                              • Uncommon reduced from 33 to 31.
                                              • Rare reduced from 35 to 33.
                                              • Epic reduced from 37 to 35.
                                              • Legendary reduced from 39 to 36.
                                            • Reduced Assault Rifle headshot damage from 2.5x to 2.0x.
                                            • These changes do not affect the Scoped or Burst variants of the Assault Rifle.
                                            EDIT: This hotfix is now live. A big thanks to everyone who participated in the discussions leading up to this change. Because of you, we were able to turn this around very quickly. Be sure to let us know what you think about these changes!

Happy Holidays,

The Fortnite Team
                                            This is a very positive balance adjustment. People don't understand the damage that weapons are dealing, even when they main an AR for example. Changes to other weapons will over time help balance out issues between each of the weapon categories, making lesser used or even treated as obsolete weapons - find a better place. I'm all for that.

Better balancing produces better gameplay and promotes diversity. All go hand in hand and it's bizarre that some people just cannot grasp that. Epic are clearly wise and are making continued adjustments to better balance things.

Originally posted by Rawrzory View Post
                                            I shot a person with full shields yesterday full autofire at short range while even hitting like 2 headshots ... The TTK is pretty high at short to medium distance. Sure if you can get the entire clip in their face it works out, but i would never pick one up over a shotgun with the current TTK on short to medium distance.

Also the "silenced" part doesn't really work out as your opponent still fires and thus making people flock to your general direction. Since the SMG is pretty much a CQC weapon you will most likely be near your opponent. Near enough to also get killed by whoever joins the fight.
                                            Haha, yeah I'd actually like to prefer picking one up over at least the pump-action once in a while. I have found one half decent use for the gun, but again it is taking up a slot you'll probably want for something else... If you don't have an explosive, then it is half decent to hold one to take down builds and breakable objects at distance. I know, seems a bit ridiculous right? But no, seriously, it can actually damage and take down walls at a long distance... With no real damage drop off you're still hitting for the same amount, you will also likely have loads of ammo and shooting from such a distance keeps your location somwhat unknown (of course the damage to wall gives away basic trajectory).

Comment

I really don't see what all of the fuss is about. If SMG's were buffed to the point to where they were just as good or better than shotguns, they would be out of place, period. They are weak weapons, by theory. And I believe they fit perfectly where they are now. There's no reason you should substitute any other gun mid to late round for an SMG. It's unnatural.

Comment

And I believe they fit perfectly where they are now.
                                                I don't even see the need to use an SMG, ever.

Comment

Comment

You accuse of everyone who doesn't support your idea against diversity and balancing. Really? It's ridiculous.

It's like someone asking me what my favorite ice cream is, I say chocolate. Then they accuse me of not supporting freedom and diversity because I don't like other flavors. Just stop talking.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X