Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So i heard Epic Games/Fortnite is suing players.

Collapse
X

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Author membership
  • Show
Clear All

• So i heard Epic Games/Fortnite is suing players.

Fortnite Review
    Enjoyment for Gamers

Not going stand by this game and play as they sue players just get $$$ to develop their game.

The players who were sued should of repeatedly get ban regardless.

Almost like suing people for posting negative reviews for this game.
    Starts
    12-07-2017 04:00 AM
    Last edited by Valesoldier; 12-07-2017, 05:44 PM.

Well, they're suing cheaters. People who break EULA. Its more so just to set a precedent that cheating is absolutely not acceptable and to try to ensure a safer and more enjoyable game for those who play fairly, not to actually get any money. I'm not saying its necessarily the right step for Epic to take (especially with that one fellow who is rather young), but i can certainly see where they are coming from and its not in the slightest like suing people for posting a bad review. I mean, gamers are always complaining that developers don't take enough action to curb cheating so i can commend Epic for trying a new avenue. They are doing this to protect their playerbase, ultimately.
    Last edited by Jacob Armitage; 12-07-2017, 04:29 AM.

Comment

You should actually read and research the information before posting "you heard" type accusations that border on blatant ignorance.

Go read articles, read the court documents (yes, they are available online), or watch some of the videos.

There are even a few youtube videos made by a copyright lawyer about the whole situation if reading comprehension is difficult for you.

Comment

Originally posted by DestructoSloth View Post
        You should actually read and research the information before posting "you heard" type accusations that border on blatant ignorance.

Go read articles, read the court documents (yes, they are available online), or watch some of the videos.

There are even a few youtube videos made by a copyright lawyer about the whole situation if reading comprehension is difficult for you.
        Ok ignorance,
        Cheating ....alleged Copyright...whatever

Talking the about approach they made.

The approach to sue players is highly inappropriate regardless, the user should have been banned repeatedly (even if just 9 times)
        They want to make Money by mass suing players...to develop that game.

Such inappropriate approach.
        Last edited by Valesoldier; 12-07-2017, 04:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Valesoldier View Post
          Talking the approach,

The approach to sue players is highly inappropriate regardless, the user should have been banned repeatedly (even if just 9 times)
          They want to make Money by mass suing players...to develop that game.

Such inappropriate approach.
          Such an ignorant post.

You don't have a clue what you are talking about, literally.

I'm not sure if you are purposely being obtuse, or if you're not quite old enough/mature enough to comprehend law and business, but you might want to at least try to understand what you are weighing-in on.

The fact that 2 of the three defendants already settled should be a sign of who was in the right, legally. The one outstanding case is still open due to the defendant being an idiot and making it worse for himself.

Just a tidbit of information for you. The players weren't just cheating. They were involved with marketing, distribution, and monetization of the cheat software.

Comment

Yes you are one saying people ignorant
            Those were alleged accusations and Epic games knew they wont have money pay for lawyers to defend the players so they would settle.

So they end up mass suing players just for breaking the rules. Nice..

use the money to develop the game instead of normally banning them repeatedly.
            Last edited by Valesoldier; 12-07-2017, 05:00 AM.

Comment

Holy...

Read the court documents if you are so intent on knowing the truth.

They banned them upwards of 14+ times. There was more to it than just cheating. It is about more than breaking the rules. You clearly don't have the capacity to even attempt to understand these cases.

Comment

More like bait and catch.

Those were alleged accusations and Epic games knew they wont have money pay for lawyers to defend the players so they would settle.

Comment

Ok, I'm done with you. You can't even help yourself or even attempt to comprehend the subject.

I'm not going to spoon feed you.

Comment

Ok, I'm done with you. You can't even help yourself or even attempt to comprehend the subject.

I'm not going to spoon feed you.
                    Calling people ignorant , let see what happen if you sued by Epic games. Dont be crying on this topic or say kys to people.

Comment

Why does it feels like TS is one of them cheating scrubs? you got what you deserved :)

Comment

Originally posted by Hardcorefail View Post
                        Why does it feels like TS is one of them cheating scrubs? you got what you deserved :)
                        watch we going get sued by Epic games for team killing.

Comment

Developers have every right to sue cheaters and cheat developers. Don't cheat, it destroys the game, end of story.

Comment

Enjoyment for Gamers

Not going stand by this game and play as they sue players just get $$$ to develop their game.

The players who were sued should of repeatedly get ban regardless.

Almost like suing people for posting negative reviews for this game.

Just like what jacob said you didn't seem to really bother looking into the issue at hand here. They did not sue them they took one kid to court for using and promoting cheats.. A court order was brought up against the kid to stop and to at which the kid said #@@! that and continued to do it I would doubt they would pull this stunt without banning this kid a 100times.

As for the other user was caught being a person who created and distributed cheats on his website and a cease and desist order was brought up against this person and then I believe went to jail for continuing activity within their website. I believe the website is taken down but they never released that.

As for the 3rd its still going through.

These actions had no money value what so ever, if anything they spent more taken them to court than anything.. So they spent money to make sure these people never cheat again.. If you still can't understand that then sorry.

Also its not that they couldn't defend themselves its the fact they ignored the EULA which they agreed too and which case not much you can do at that point because well you broke their rules they set forth.
                            Last edited by Dakone12; 12-07-2017, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Whats next players get sued for unintentionally team killing or harassing another player instead of banning them appropriately .

Yea i saw it long ago, they cant defend their self, so they had no choice to admit to the alleged copyright claims.
                              Last edited by Valesoldier; 12-07-2017, 05:21 PM.

Comment

I heard Epic Games have a secret prison full of rapist and they are locking cheaters in there and give them to rapist, so they have a taste of their own medicine.

Comment

You know i am not defending the cheaters or "alleged" copyright players...this game seem be surviving through lawsuits only.
                                  Originally posted by tre3fla View Post
                                  I heard Epic Games have a secret prison full of rapist and they are locking cheaters in there and give them to rapist, so they have a taste of their own medicine.

More like mass suing people who plays the game. There goes the playerbase.

Of course they went to files lawsuits against players...
                                  scaring players away (not just cheaters)
                                  Last edited by Valesoldier; 12-07-2017, 05:40 PM.

Comment

I hope more company's start suing people like this. Better to target the people making and maintaining the cheats then then the cheaters

Comment

Honestly I'm okay with the suing. One of them was stupid enough to get banned over a dozen times, broadcast it on their stream. Take his bannings and copyright strikes public to defame Epic games and post links and info to how to use an aimbot. Kid deserves it, besides epic settled some of the lawsuits with injunctions and for MUCH less than what they could have gotten. I hope more companies set an example that **** wont be tolerated. The only people imo who should be shaken up over the lawsuits are cheaters/hackers are you one of them? If not why so butthurt?

Comment

News Flash for all the idiots out there trying to argue for Epic:

The lawsuit was filed as a "Loss of Profits" on Epic's behalf. How do you think that's going to go in court?

Please tell me how a 14-year old hacker forced Epic Games to lose profits via Fortnite: Battle Royale - a free to play game. I'd like to see a video of that in court. Also, let's just take note that Epic Games had no idea the 'player' was 14 years of age. Legally, you cannot sue a 14 year old, you can sue his mother though. One problem, she did not give her son consent. The lawsuit stops right there. They will not win, and it's a scum move to start this lawsuit in the first place. Absolutely pathetic.

Can't wait until some big-time streamers are caught cheating, we'll see if Epic sues them. But wait, they won't. Want to know why? Because they have actual lawyers and management teams with money who will fight the case. A 14 year old boy and his mother don't have that kind of team to do it for them. Scummy.

Comment

Its pretty easy. Don't cheat and you wont get sued. If it where up to me in would sue every cheater. Cheaters if left alone scare away paying customers. I have left many games in the past due to cheaters and i don't believe i'm the only one.

Lost customers is lost money, you make it sound like cheaters are the victims here...

Comment

Originally posted by Rawrzory View Post
                                            Its pretty easy. Don't cheat and you wont get sued. If it where up to me in would sue every cheater. Cheaters if left alone scare away paying customers. I have left many games in the past due to cheaters and i don't believe i'm the only one.

Lost customers is lost money, you make it sound like cheaters are the victims here...
                                            Truth! Cheaters should have no rights and should be sued. They ruin the game for people who love to play!

Comment

More game companies should be suing cheaters imo. Cheaters cause players to stop playing their game, thus they make less money. Game companies can go under if they can't control cheating. In South Korea and Japan cheating in online games has been made a crime punishable by fine and jail time. I think the US and Europe should do the same. These game companies should be investing time and money into making and improving games, not stopping cheaters from hacking their code. Cheating is not fair for players but it is especially unfair to the companies that produce the games. Its like this, what would happen if someone walked into a McDonalds and went in the back and started spitting in everyone's cheeseburgers? They would probably get arrested. You can't tamper with a company's product and expect no consequences. Cheaters in online games have been getting away with ruining game companies' products for way too long. I applaud Epic Games for taking a strong stand and I hope Activision, Blizzard, EA, etc follow suit.
                                              Last edited by Pyr0cL4st1cFLoW; 12-08-2017, 07:22 AM.

Comment

????

Epic aren't "mass suing". It's basically 3 cases of copyright infringement, and one hundred un suable cases of uninformed people spreading mass suing rumors.

Comment

Isn't it the guy who was banned like 14 times? Honestly, I haven't followed any of that, I don't know what's true and false, what claim is right or exaggerated, but if a cheater is actually being sued after 14 bans, then I'm all for it. An actual consequence to cheating that might make others think twice before doing so? Hell yeah.

Comment

I hope they keep suing all the hack makers.

Comment

In my opinion, a Cease and Desist letter would have been enough to scare the EULA defaulters...

Sony took the same route with geohot when he released the PlayStation 3's root key to the public.
                                                      Want to improve your building skills? Have fun in a private match? Support my newest idea!

>>> Battle Royale: Architect Mode <<<

Comment

Originally posted by THEREALHAWKINGS View Post
                                                        In my opinion, a Cease and Desist letter would have been enough to scare the EULA defaulters...

Sony took the same route with geohot when he released the PlayStation 3's root key to the public.
                                                        Oh hey look, another post by the same fool that keeps advertising his ****** gamemode. No one cares.

Comment

Originally posted by AG_Carnivor View Post

Oh hey look, another post by the same fool that keeps advertising his ****** gamemode. No one cares.
                                                          Thanks! You're a very kind person.
                                                          Want to improve your building skills? Have fun in a private match? Support my newest idea!

>>> Battle Royale: Architect Mode <<<

Comment

You know i am not defending the cheaters or "alleged" copyright players...this game seem be surviving through lawsuits only.

More like mass suing people who plays the game. There goes the playerbase.

Of course they went to files lawsuits against players...
                                                            scaring players away (not just cheaters)
                                                            are you fing kidding me, the guy thats getting sued thats a teenager is doing so because he refused to take down a video on his youtube chanel on how to hack the game and make an aimbot for it, kid deserves all he gets

Comment

The lawsuit was filed as a "Loss of Profits" on Epic's behalf. How do you think that's going to go in court?

Please tell me how a 14-year old hacker forced Epic Games to lose profits via Fortnite: Battle Royale - a free to play game. I'd like to see a video of that in court. Also, let's just take note that Epic Games had no idea the 'player' was 14 years of age. Legally, you cannot sue a 14 year old, you can sue his mother though. One problem, she did not give her son consent. The lawsuit stops right there. They will not win, and it's a scum move to start this lawsuit in the first place. Absolutely pathetic.

Can't wait until some big-time streamers are caught cheating, we'll see if Epic sues them. But wait, they won't. Want to know why? Because they have actual lawyers and management teams with money who will fight the case. A 14 year old boy and his mother don't have that kind of team to do it for them. Scummy.
                                                              well that all just proves what a bad parent is mom is, you know allowing him to go onto the internet and download games without keeping an eye on him, not to mention the kid broke the law by not asking his parents if he could download it, it swings both ways,

Comment

Originally posted by Jabba007UK View Post

well that all just proves what a bad parent is mom is, you know allowing him to go onto the internet and download games without keeping an eye on him, not to mention the kid broke the law by not asking his parents if he could download it, it swings both ways,
                                                                Are you joking? Please tell me what law he broke. There is no law saying a minor cannot buy a game without the parents permission. The only law that is even close to that is if a seller such as Gamestop sells an M-rated game to a minor, willingly, without a parent/guardian's consent. Now you just sound dumb.

Remember, it's a video game. The mom is not a bad parent, chill out.

Comment

News flash the game maybe free to play, but it's still built to generate profits via micro-transaction! If people hear the game is infested with cheaters they are less likely to play it reducing profits. If people come a cross a lot of cheaters while playing they are more likely to uninstall instead of purchasing cosmetic items.

News flash the people in question did more than just cheat, they informed others on how to cheat! The 14-year old in question was posting videos online on how to cheat! There is a huge difference in facilitating more cheaters than just cheating yourself. EPIC wanted to send a message and guess what THEY DID THAT.

As far as the mother not giving 14-year old consent goes, PLEASE! She just consulted with a lawyer and that's what the lawyer told her to say and it will all go away. He clearly had his mothers permission to play the game, I'm sure she is fully aware he was a gamer and played way more mature games than this one. She allowed him access to the internet(that's permission in it's self). She allowed him to have or use a computer(that's permission in it's self) She allowed him access to a console connected to the internet(that's permission in it's self). It's obvious the lawyer read the ToS noticed the minor detail and advised the mother to say she never gave him permission.

In order for her to technically not give him permission to play it he would have to had ask her if he could play it, then she would have had to say NO. Do you know how many kids are playing Fortnite right now who never asked their parents if they could play it? The majority of them. But they all gave them the tools to play it thus they gave them the thumbs up.

EDITED
                                                                  As far as those big streamers go I would imagine they would get sued if they were showing others how to cheat like this kid did. But they wouldn't! Popular streamers would not risk their reputation on promoting cheating. I'm very certain they do not make as much as you want to believe. Lawyers are not cheap and I highly doubt most of them have ever even spoken to one. The mother had a lawyer, you're making the assumption that she has less money than popular streamers! She could easily be more well off.

About the 14-year old! ACTUAL FACTS! Instead of the ignorance being spit in this topic.
                                                                  http://www.pcgamer.com/mother-of-14-...-is-scapegoat/
                                                                  http://www.pcgamer.com/fortnite-play...ent-with-epic/
                                                                  Last edited by All the Rage; 12-08-2017, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by All the Rage View Post

News flash the game maybe free to play, but it's still built to generate profits via micro-transaction! If people hear the game is infested with cheaters they are less likely to play it reducing profits. If people come a cross a lot of cheaters while playing they are more likely to uninstall instead of purchase cosmetic items.

News flash the people in question did more than just cheat, they informed others on how to cheat! The 14-year old in question was posting videos online on how to cheat! There is a huge difference in facilitating more cheaters than just cheating yourself. EPIC wanted to send a message and guess what THEY DID THAT.

As far as the mother not giving 14-year old consent goes, PLEASE! She just consulted with a lawyer and that's what the lawyer told her to say and it will all go away. He clearly had his mothers permission to play the game, I'm sure she is fully aware he was a gamer and played way more mature games than this one. She allowed him access to the internet(that's permission in it's self). She allowed him to have or use a computer(that's permission in it's self) She allowed him access to a console connected to the internet(that's permission in it's self). It's obvious the lawyer read the ToS noticed the minor detail and advised the mother to say she never gave him permission.

In order for her to technically not give him permission to play it he would have to had ask her if he could play it, then she would have had to say NO. Do you know how many kids are playing Fortnite right now who never asked their parents if they could play it? The majority of them. But they all gave them the tools to play it thus they gave them the thumbs up!
                                                                    Let's see how that holds up in court. My assumption is that Epic is going to drop the case once the judge realizes how stupid this case is. This is why Epic would never sue any major streamers (once some get caught cheating), because they actually have a team of lawyers and a big sum of money to back them up. It's disgusting that Epic Games would even continue the case, ****ing idiots.

Comment

Let's see how that holds up in court. My assumption is that Epic is going to drop the case once the judge realizes how stupid this case is. This is why Epic would never sue any major streamers (once some get caught cheating), because they actually have a team of lawyers and a big sum of money to back them up. It's disgusting that Epic Games would even continue the case, ****ing idiots.
                                                                      That's the thing. If you read the court documents, or did any small amount of research, you would be aware that EPIC can't drop the lawsuit.

DMCA law requires that when a counter claim is made, as the kid made, the plaintiff in the case either has to drop its case or follow through with the law suit.

Since no company would ever drop a copyright claim and risk losing all of their claim on IP, EPIC must follow through. The kid made it worse by filing a counter DMCA claim.

No offense, but you really shouldn't call people idiots when you actually don't know law. You are speaking from your assumptions and feelings, not from actual legal knowledge.
                                                                      Last edited by DestructoSloth; 12-08-2017, 10:19 PM.

Comment

That's the thing. If you read the court documents, or did any small amount of research, you would be aware that EPIC can't drop the lawsuit.

DMCA law requires that when a counter claim is made, as the kid made, the plaintiff in the case either has to drop its case or follow through with the law suit.

Since no company would ever drop a copyright claim and risk losing all of their claim on IP, EPIC must follow through. The kid made it worse by filing a counter DMCA claim.

No offense, but you really shouldn't call people idiots when you actually don't know law. You are speaking from your assumptions and feelings, not from actual legal knowledge.
                                                                        Point taken. Anyways, I was calling Epic Games idiots.

Comment

Point taken. Anyways, I was calling Epic Games idiots.
                                                                          They're idiots for trying to protect their business and IP?

It's not "just a video game". It's a business.

Businesses have a right to legally protect their assets, no matter if you think it's justified or not.

The law is in the favor of EPIC on this one.

Comment

They're idiots for trying to protect their business and IP?

It's not "just a video game". It's a business.

Businesses have a right to legally protect their assets, no matter if you think it's justified or not.

The law is in the favor of EPIC on this one.
                                                                            It was a loss of profits, lawsuit. How does cheating generate a loss of profits? I'm not sure how they're going to prove that one...

Comment

• #39
                                                                              Actually, quite easily.

Businesses have a vast amount of analytical data at their finger tips. A scary amount of data actually.

It would not be difficult to link cheating reports, sales, login info, concurrency, microtransactions per users, etc.

Just because the game is F2P doesn't mean a company doesn't have tabs on their profits and sales levers.

Every company has a business model, even free to play games. They can easily track, and prove in court, what factors/actions directly affect revenue. Otherwise the publisher wouldn't give them money to make the game.

Edit:

The lawsuit wasn't only about loss of profits. There were five claims for relief in the suit. It was his DMCA counter-claim that set it all in stone.

10 minutes of your time will make this clearer. Skip to 6 minutes if 10 minutes is too much time.

Last edited by DestructoSloth; 12-08-2017, 11:17 PM.

Comment

• #40

It was a loss of profits, lawsuit. How does cheating generate a loss of profits? I'm not sure how they're going to prove that one...
                                                                                It was actually a copyright infringement case which included loss of profit. Which includes manipulation of game code, distribution of hacks which manipulate game code, Loss of profit tied to damaged game integrity from the outbreak of aim bots which can be blamed on this kid and easily proven from all the evidence he self published through links, videos and streams on how to use it. Games riddled with hacks lose business, quake champions is a great example of loss of business from aim botting it's out of control in that game. After receiving punishments like bans and copyright strikes on his Youtube channel the kid chose to put a public battle against epic games at which point after this kid got banned over a dozen times Epic games sought action. They didn't go on a suing spree for just ANY hackers they went after the worst examples who already made the issues public and used it as an example for other who plan to cheat.

Btw legal or not, the kid agreed to all the terms of use, EULAs, and all the other same **** we all agree to when you open the account. Not Epics fault the stupid kid didn't read a contract. Breaching a legal contract you can be sued for it. Most times companies opt not to sue because lawsuits are expensive but for the ones who run rampant and distribute or make the situation out of control yes they will get sued and it will be easy if they made themselves public like this kid did because he has evidence against himself splashed all over the internet.

The last person who got sued was settled for 5 grand and an injunction. He still gets to play the game provided he stays within the injunctions rules. Got off pretty easy imo and that guy didn't take it anywhere near as far as this kid.

Whether you think it is right or not is completely irrelevant courts rarely decide ruling based on social justice warriors beliefs or "political correctness". If you go to school for legal studies one of the main things they teach you about lawsuits is not letting personal beliefs get in the way of a case. If you're expecting a good old "boys will be boys" case like in the simpsons you're so ignorant it hurts. I think at best case scenario they cut this kid a break slap him with an injunction, an IP ban and a small charge of around 5k-10k to recollect legal fees and send him on his way. It's about making an example to hackers will not be tolerated, i'm sure Epic isn't out for money but to scare off hackers and make 'em run to the next game.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                X