Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Building Tips and Tricks You May Not Be Using!

Collapse
X

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I left something out comment in here and let me know!

I think you have some good stuff in there for new players and I think you're earnest in wanting to make some good content which sometimes feels a bit rare, are you open to some constrictive criticism and feedback?
    Last edited by Jacob Armitage; 01-03-2018, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacob Armitage View Post
      I think you have some good stuff in there for new players and I think you're earnest in wanting to make some good content which sometimes feels a bit rare, are you open to some constrictive criticism and feedback?
      Always open for criticism!

Comment

Originally posted by P_PP3T
        1st criticism,dont openup with its your boy like everyone else,i obviously know who you are and its douchebaggy generic
        Get me a catch phrase

Comment

Originally posted by Very_Common View Post

Always open for criticism!
          Ok, so some of this you may very well be aware of and some may just come in practice but i'll go over a few thoughts i had when watching your video and i do mean this all as kind feedback.

First off, as P_PP3T said, i would totally drop the "Its ya boi" intro, it comes off a bit old hat and even slightly juvenile, i always think just a simple and welcoming opening is great. "Hello, this is Very Common and welcome, in todays video we'll be going over some building tips you may or many not be using, this video is geared towards newer players and if you have any additional suggestions please discuss them in the comments for a potential future video on this subject, thank you." Or something like that. The actual Very Common title card with the music track is also perhaps a bit much, i'd pick something thats more in line with the outro music you used in that video for the highlights at the end, it'll be more cohesive and a bit less obnoixious.

Second, be sure to script your intro and stick to it. If you don't get it sounding tight, re-record it. Right now its a bit too loose and off the cuff and while that can sometimes come off as endearing, i don't think you quite have the experience to be there yet. Your video is just a bit of a mess off the start, you tend to repeat yourself a lot, don't setup the content of the video very well and its very meandering.

Third, for your live recording I think you're fine, you make some mistakes but thats ok, you point it out with playful edits, you're clearly a bit nervous but that'll get better with practice. The major issue here is your recording equipment, I get that this is just a hobby but if you're hoping to build an audience i'd recommend picking up just a simple hobbyist grade mic. Something like a Blue Yeti for around $100, they aren't amazing nor professional grade by any means, but for that cost they will do you great. You have a lot of audio clipping and distortion and it makes it a bit unpleasant to listen to. If you are using something of that quality already, be sure to check your settings. I would also work hard on trying to get the volume levels of the different sections to match up more evenly, your intro is considerably louder compared the gameplay footage, then when you edit back in with showing off the different building layouts you're quite loud and clear again, then back to the quieter and lower quality of the gameplay. You should be able to even out these with your video editing software, it'll just take a bit of practice.

Finally, and these are probably the least important tips for just starting out on a hobbyist level but probably worth noting, i'd work on putting up an end slate card linking to some of your other videos while your highlight video plays at the end in a smaller window, this may seem like a lot of work and it may be, but its just something you have to do once as you can reuse it each video. You also are going to want to work on your thumbnails - right now its just so generic, you need to develop something that makes it stand out, something that gives you your own style, even just in a colour scheme. I don't know if you have any goals of trying to this professionally, but even just to build a small audience to do this as a hobby upping your production quality a bit would be a necessity. This final one may be a bit rude and it may be a bit late in the game, but Very Common is maybe not the best name to be using either, it, uh, doesn't really stand out very well especially having "common" in there. Perhaps this is more of a nitpick than actual advice, but maybe something to keep in mind.

Good luck, i'll be rooting for you.

Originally posted by Very_Common View Post

Get me a catch phrase
          You don't need one, and if you do want one try something thats more natural and fitting for you. Something unique, that stands out.
          Last edited by Jacob Armitage; 01-04-2018, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacob Armitage View Post
            Ok, so some of this you may very well be aware of and some may just come in practice but i'll go over a few thoughts i had when watching your video and i do mean this all as kind feedback.

First off, as P_PP3T said, i would totally drop the "Its ya boi" intro, it comes off a bit old hat and even slightly juvenile, i always think just a simple and welcoming opening is great. "Hello, this is Very Common and welcome, in todays video we'll be going over some building tips you may or many not be using, this video is geared towards newer players and if you have any additional suggestions please discuss them in the comments for a potential future video on this subject, thank you." Or something like that. The actual Very Common title card with the music track is also perhaps a bit much, i'd pick something thats more in line with the outro music you used in that video for the highlights at the end, it'll be more cohesive and a bit less obnoixious.

Second, be sure to script your intro and stick to it. If you don't get it sounding tight, re-record it. Right now its a bit too loose and off the cuff and while that can sometimes come off as endearing, i don't think you quite have the experience to be there yet. Your video is just a bit of a mess off the start.

Third, for your live recording I think you're fine, you make some mistakes but thats ok, you point it out with playful edits, you're clearly a bit nervous but that'll get better with practice. The major issue here is your recording equipment, I get that this is just a hobby but if you're hoping to build an audience i'd recommend picking up just a simple hobbyist grade mic. Something like a Blue Yeti mic for around $100, they arn't amazing nor professional grade by any means, but for that cost they will do you great. You have a lot of audio clipping and distortion and it makes it a bit unpleasant to listen to. If you are using something of that quality, be sure to check your settings.

I would also work hard on trying to get the volume levels of the different sections to match up more evenly, your intro is considerably louder compared the gameplay footage, then when you edit back in with showing off the different building layouts you're quite loud and clear again, then back to the quiter and lower quality of the gameplay. You should be able to even out these with your video editing software, it'll just take a bit of practice.

Finally, i'd work on putting up an end slate card linking to some of your other videos while your highlight video plays at the end in a smaller window, this may seem like a lot of work and it may be, but its just something you have to do once. You also are going to need to work on your thumbnails - right now its just so generic, you need to develop something that makes it stand out, something that gives you your own style, even just in a colour scheme. I don't know if you have any goals of trying to this professionally, but even just to build a small audience to do this as a hobby i hope these tips can help. This final one may be a bit rude and it may be a bit late in the game, but Very Common is maybe not the best name to be using either, it, uh, doesn't really stand out very well especially having "common" in there. Perhaps this is more of a nitpick than actual advice, but maybe something to keep in mind.

Good luck, i'll be rooting for you.

You don't need one, and if you do want one try something thats more natural and fitting for you. Something unique, that stands out.
            I appreciate all the help. I do just do it as a hobby as I love Fortnite. Definitely new to YouTube. I started a month ago from absolutely no experience. Thanks for the input!

Comment

Working...
            X