Fortnite Battle Royale - State of Development

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Author membership
  • Show
Clear All

• Fortnite Battle Royale - State of Development

We hope you all have been having a good time playing Fortnite Battle Royale. We’re working hard to make sure you have plenty to look forward to in your quest to earn umbrellas. So, we want to give everyone an update!

Our big news is the initial version of Squads coming 9/26 with support for DBNO (down but not out), duos (2 players) and squads (1-4 players). Emphasis is on “initial” as we are optimizing for getting the feature out ASAP and will continue to iterate and polish afterwards. The squads playlist will be enabled on 9/26 and we will monitor population numbers to decide when to enable duos. In-game communication (text, voice, hints, etc) is crucial for auto-filled teams and is next on the list.

We hope the introduction of Squads will reduce the desire for teaming in solo play. That being said, we stood up a system that will automatically and swiftly ban teamers. We’ve been manually running the detection tool to verify results and Player Support has been using the results to ban teamers for almost a week. The full automation will go live with the 9/26 update.

Cheating (aimbots, overlays, and such) is something we take seriously on both the legal and development front. Going free increases the challenge and is lighting a fire under our efforts. It is hard to talk about what we’re doing here without making it easier for cheat creators… so we won't :-) Cheaters are banned!

Coming in the Sept. 26 build:

1) Squads!

2) A mid-range scoped assault rifle and a mid-range SMG to round out the weapon line-up.

3) HUD tweaks to make it easier to see markers and direction indicators.

4) Lots of other tweaks that will be documented in detail in our release notes.

Coming soon after the Sept. 26 build:

Supply drops will allow introduction of some of the more zany weapons from the “Save the World” Campaign, and help us tune the timing of when specific weapons drop during a match. Our internal playtests showed supply drops adding more excitement to the mid-game over the fight to secure them. Depending on how balancing and testing goes they might be in 9/26 or the following week.

Combat feel encompasses a broad area and we have a few initiatives in the works that deserve their own post in the next week. See our post here for recent changes.

Improvements for inventory management like picking up ammo, resources, and traps by just walking over them. In the long term we are going to overhaul the inventory system.

We love stats and analytics and will show you the basics over the next few weeks.

After providing stats we’ll focus on Leaderboards / Scoreboards and Rankings. Leaderboards / Scoreboards reward successful placement and game actions, while Ranking is a direct reflection of your skill. We’re evaluating algorithms for each of them and want to be careful we don’t change the goal to be the last player standing.

Cosmetic items are coming soon. New glider skins are a first example of this and there will be other categories as well. This requires the ability to select and choose variations in the UI, and of course a way for you to earn them by playing the game.

Console controller layouts are being revisited right now to see whether there is a different approach. This is something that will take some time to get right, but we will give you updates as progress is made.

The following information is a bit more on the engineering side, but I’m an engineer so hey :-)

We are currently running dedicated servers in Virginia (USA) and Frankfurt (Germany). Our infrastructure allows us to fairly easily spin up servers in other regions once a certain population threshold has been reached to ensure a good matchmaking experience.

We are happy with, but always looking to improve the minimum network bandwidth required to play the game and server performance after the first few minutes. What we’re not yet happy with is server performance during the lobby and very early phase of the match. This is an area that is requiring some higher level optimizations to our networking code.

Overall client performance is something we need to keep an eye on to ensure it is not getting worse. Same goes for input latency. [update:We do have improvements to console input latency coming soon]. Please holler if you are experiencing issues with either.

Client stability settled at around 100 hours of MTBF (mean time between failure) for Battle Royale. That means on average the game crashes every 100 hours of gameplay. Crashes are never acceptable and we are continuously working on the top crashes. Please let us know if you are running into frequent crashes to help us track them down! The 100-hour number is on the lower end of our comfort zone, but we also want to make sure we don’t sacrifice development velocity and deliver new features at a rapid pace.

Server stability thus far has been good *knocks on wood*… which is crucial as a single crash can impact up to 100 players at once! The goal here is to be above 10,000 hours MTBF and very rapidly address crashes and deploy servers with rolling updates as to not impact players further.

Thanks and we’ll see you in game,
    Daniel Vogel
    Last edited by [EPIC] Daniel Vogel; 09-22-2017, 09:18 PM.

It is good to know I dropped 250 bucks for Epic to pay more attention to a mode that wasn't marketed......Thanks Epic.

Comment

Originally posted by Oobembar View Post
      It is good to know I dropped 250 bucks for Epic to pay more attention to a mode that wasn't marketed......Thanks Epic.
      Just for clarity, our Executive Producer, Zak Phelps just posted the new updates coming to the Save the World campaign yesterday.
      Last edited by [EPIC] SKY-LG; 09-22-2017, 02:43 PM.

Comment

This looks amazing good work EPIC! Just hoping the duos will be released shorty after squads. Keep up the good work!

Comment

Oh look, a team that ACTUALLY does something, including communicate. Can we dump the horrible pve team and just have you guys take over? At least you guys actually respond, and have done more for the game mode you are working on since it's been out than the "other" team has since EA launch.

Pretty easy to see what side of the game is getting the A team and attention.

Comment

Lets goooo! Can't wait for the leaderboards to drop!

Comment

Will this update include new view-modes such as first person or will I have the ability to move the camera around?

Comment

Originally posted by GodricVankalth View Post
                Will this update include new view-modes such as first person or will I have the ability to move the camera around?
                Nope. We're chatting about what's best for camera options, but haven't committed to anything yet.

Comment

Originally posted by [EPIC
                  arCtiC;n68478]

Just for clarity, our Executive Producer, Zak Phelps just posted the new updates coming to the Save the World campaign yesterday.
                  Just for more clarity. Notice the difference between real up and coming info and vaguebook up and coming content. Its obvious which is getting the attention.

Comment

Originally posted by Oobembar View Post

Just for more clarity. Notice the difference between real up and coming info and vaguebook up and coming content. Its obvious which is getting the attention.
                    We also released our Dev update. Hopefully that provides some more information to questions you may have in regards to the Save the World campaign.

Comment

Great changes, very excited for the 26th and the future of the game.

However input latency is pretty poor on Xbox One (I've heard ps4 is the same). It's not perfect in general gameplay (albeit okay) but where things really get bad is when you aim down a scope e.g sniper scope. There's a real painfully noticable hit to input latency when scoped vs non scoped. Makes sniping suck, alot.

Have you guys got any plans to solve this scoped input latency on consoles?? Or will it be fixed on Tuesday?
                      Last edited by Lucifon; 09-22-2017, 06:41 PM.

Comment

This is awesome ! Thanks for the hard work and communication, It's the best way to make an awesome game ! :)

Comment

Thanks for including everyone in your updates. I play PvE much more than the PvP due to the years of exposure from being in 8 OTs. Is there anything big coming as far as changes to the basic Save the World? Events are great and keep me interested, the mutant storms were/are perfect!! Stormshield Defenses (Outpost Defenses) past 10 sounds really fun! Perhaps changes to the environments? New buildings, texture recolors that fit the region (Canny, Twine..) they are in so the game doesn't feel so dull with repetitive missions. Balance changes to the heroes so I feel like I am not pigeon-holed into Power Base, MegaBase, Ranger Deadeye, Urban Assault, or the Master Grenadier which refuses to show up. Introduction of new mission types, or the finishing of the Canny storyline?!

Thanks for ALL the work you put in to keep the game updated and fresh. Thanks for the community outreach. I'd also like to add onto that: the updates you release are great, and we all love frequent updates but also understand things take time to develop, and I think your updates are great time wise, thank you <3.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifon View Post
                            However input latency is pretty poor on Xbox One (I've heard ps4 is the same).
                            Good catch - I need to update my post to correct some errors. We have known issues on console that we found a good solution for today. The changes are being merged to our release branch and I would expect them to make it to players in early October.

Comment

sorry, but what is DBNO mode?

Comment

Will there be trophies for Battle Royale?

Comment

When you win a game it should say Winner Winner Husk's for Dinner!!

Instead of PUBG's one of, Winner Winner Chicken Dinner

Comment

Trophies coming? Also picaxe should down in 3 hits

Comment

Originally posted by Massidm View Post
                                      sorry, but what is DBNO mode?
                                      I'll throw a wild guess here and assume it means that you get on your knees and can be revived when shot down.

Also, unless I missed something... anything about being able to select your character? Maybe even Heroes other than Soldiers, purely for aesthetic of course.

Comment

Cosmetic items are coming soon. New glider skins are a first example of this and there will be other categories as well. This requires the ability to select and choose variations in the UI, and of course a way for you to earn them by playing the game.
                                        Will this include the ability to pick which character we're playing as (even if the selection is only what's currently chosen randomly in the mode)?

Comment

Will you guys be implementing Free Look? For instance, push or hold a key and look around without turning your character. I feel this game is missing that

Comment

every time I load in to a pvp game my game crashes and I get a LS-0018 bs what is this and how do I fix this bs

Comment

I think everyone of us players missing option to create own character, choose man/women etc. ... I have ,,Save the world,, so I know how many variations in the game are... PLS Epic add it too PvP mode soon.. thx! :)

Comment

battle royale needs a training room,where we can test the guns,and build mechanics

Comment

Originally posted by Skru3d View Post
                                                  battle royale needs a training room,where we can test the guns,and build mechanics
                                                  Welcome to the lobby.

Comment

Daniel Vogel] Client stability settled at around 100 hours of MTBF (mean time between failure) for Battle Royale.
                                                    Too bad, I've played only 2 hours and already got 3 crashes, last one when I was about to win my first game after 10 kills in a 1v1... pretty frustrating I must say.

Comment

Originally posted by C.vLd View Post

Too bad, I've played only 2 hours and already got 3 crashes, last one when I was about to win my first game after 10 kills in a 1v1... pretty frustrating I must say.
                                                      I’ve played around 40hours and have yet to have a crash. Maybe you need to update drivers or reinstall?

Comment

Originally posted by C.vLd View Post

30 hrs playtime - not one crash

Comment

My bad, seems the problem was my video card overclock. I've played a lot of games with the last oc settings and I didn't had any problems... I've decreased the gpu clock with 50 mhz and now seems stable.

Comment

can you add aiming down sight sensitivity as well :D

Comment

will you be adding some custom matches or something like that so there will be possibility of some tournaments?

Comment

Are you going to do something about the 1.17 patch which ruined some people w/o graphics cards or low graphics gameplay? So far i've read on reddit something one week and some days ago and still nothing official on the forums besides some crapy topic that you removed support for DX10... I stil haven't got a response to how does that affect me as a user of a HD 530 from intel which has support for DX12...

Comment

I just hope that I will receive something for my wins until now... Other things I hope for are character select and customization.
                                                                  Last edited by Endocard; 10-09-2017, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Endocard View Post
                                                                    I just hope that I will receive something for my wins until now... Other things I hope for are character select and customization.
                                                                    To be fair, you have already received something for your wins. That's why your glider is now an umbrella.

Comment

Originally posted by drunkNun View Post

To be fair, you have already received something for your wins. That's why your glider is now an umbrella.
                                                                      For one win. I have more....

Comment

This is such an awesome game!! I am anxious to see the leaderboards coming out soon!! And to find out my Ranking!?? Thank you for a cool game!!

Comment

I like the game as a whole but I would like some visuals to be a more properly scene when playing the game. Examples, some more work on the textures for those who can handle the heavy stuff (details on characters, maps, items.) While in-game it seems fun to play and stuff but I feel like there is a lack of detail in come things while playing especially if I'm running on the highest settings. Also the snipers look a little odd somewhat like as if they were old glass pieces that were coughed on and you couldn't clean them no matter what you use. Most all though the skins for weapons would be a amazing feature if it was something you could buy, like a specific type of rifle has a specific type of look to you or since you opened a chest or something it would spawn as if it was a "custom item" by the one who opened the chest and it would have your name on the weapon with your skin like in cs:go if that doesn't sound too displeasing to implement a similar idea. Also possibly making the map larger which would allow vehicles to actually be implemented and useful for avoiding the circle and actually have places to hide in which you won't get bombarded by 9 people in the same area because there is almost no where on the map to get loot. Also fix the ratios of what types of items spawn where because many learn how the map works and go for the best items because they tend to spawn in the same areas or just general spawning should be a bit more random.

Comment

If the game becomes a buy able thing I'd like it to be something with a option (not first option but rather a secondary open) to a monthly payment plan or such as it would permit those who don't have immediate money to pay over time and if they don't pay their account would be deactivated until the next payment it payed until the whole payment is done (with like a 5% interest for those who chose to miss payments) ant it would allow you to cancel if you simply didn't wish to have the game (no refund option would be applied as you are paying for the time you played) essentially like a paid trial.

Comment

• #39
                                                                              Please work on teamkilling I am tired of getting killed for weapons I have by my teammates. Any way to make it so if team killed you they can not pick up your loot!

Comment

• #40
                                                                                Aside from lag when picking up and/or equipping items, there is one one real problem that I have with the game, being the fact that is is SO easy to finish off a downed player. This is incredibly frustrating when considering the fact that there is no disadvantage to simply finishing off a downed enemy player when attempting to take out a duo or squad. Instead of encouraging the advantageous squad to hunt down and finish the other players they are attacking, they may as well just kill the incapacitated player that is hiding under some stairs. It barely takes any ammo either, so why not at least take out one, even if you end up losing the fight to the rest of the team. From the perspective of either the player that ends up being finished or their teammate(s) this type of situation does inevitably sucks, as someone is either now forced to either sit on their phone for the at most 15 or so minutes remaining in a game, simply go play by themselves, or beg their teammate to leave the match.

I propose either doubling the health of downed players, or reducing the damage that some weapons deal to downed players, such as pump action shotguns. It's a very road bump, especially for new players who have difficulty staying alive. The current setup doesn't allow for a mistake on one persons part; if one person dies and they aren't right next to a teammate, there is little to no chance they will be left alone. There is almost never a chance for their team to compensate for the mistake of one person.

Well, sorry for rambling long enough, I look forward to perhaps seeing some thought on the matter, but overall a very well put together game. Thanks!

Comment

• #41
                                                                                  I have an idea of a weapon
                                                                                  the idea would be a pump shotgun but grey all over
                                                                                  this weapon would have an eotech or red dot style optic
                                                                                  it will come with shells that would be blue instead of red
                                                                                  this will be slug shotgun that does not spray,but shoots one big shell
                                                                                  the distance of shell disappearance would increase more and more with rare type
                                                                                  this will be a rare, epic, and uncommon weapon
                                                                                  it will be used for close to medium range

some one if u like my idea, try and let epic games see it

Comment

• #42
                                                                                    When is save the world be free for everyone I know 2018 but when in 2018.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                    X