PS4 balance: controller vs. keyboard + mouse

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• started a topic PS4 balance: controller vs. keyboard + mouse

PS4 balance: controller vs. keyboard + mouse

Hello, just wondering: what is this game doing to balance controller use vs. use of keyboard & mouse on PlayStation 4?

Seems pretty unfair/unbalanced to me to play with a controller against players who use a keyboard and a mouse?

• replied
    I think that it is ok to play keyboard and mouse on ps4. because some people might not want to spend alot of money on buying a pc. think about how many people fortnite will lose if they take mouse and keyboard out of ps4 fortnite.

Leave a comment:

• commented on 's reply
    Not at all :p

• commented on 's reply
    What a stupid comment. Are you thick?

• replied
    Hey i get allot of hate got using keyboard and mouse but I don't have a choice. I bought an Alienware 17 r5 to okay on PC with keyboard and mouse and they falsly banned me in PC and literally I played for an hour couldn't build a wall and didn't hit a single door the whole hour so....

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Let's define some structure to this post, rather than "a feel".
    I propose we leverage an actual scenario and discuss specific stages where the AIM component takes place and what is the difference between K/Bm vs Ctrl.

AIM

Given my gameplay experience here are the details:
    1. Same Ping - Same technical setup - scenario - PS4 (not PRO) / 30 ping (two dueling players), 100+Hz Monitor
    2. One player uses Keyboard&Mouse (P_KB) and one player uses Ctrl (P_Ctrl)
    3. Range - medium to low (optimal for Rifle/SMG) (shotgun too far)
    4. Weapon used - both use GOLD SCAR
    5. No Jumping, Moving - both players stand still (not actual game experience, but let's standardize)
    Above ensures that player skill is not relevant and does not influence the outcome.

Key Stages

1. First Aim - meaning that both P_KB and P_Ctrl start with their cross-hairs close to their target, but not actually on their target . At this stage both are not locking in on their target. As soon as you lock in (default scheme - pressing R2 on PS4 or "right mouse button" on K/Bm ). In this scenario - P_Ctrl has the advantage as "locking in" actually engages AIM ASSIST (very heavily)- you just have to tap R2 and your crosshair moves to the general body of the target. KB DOES NOT - P_Ctrl has a split second Advantage and can start spraying (CTRL WINS)
    2. Continuous Fire - both players locked in on their targets and they start spraying - P_Ctrl does not have to "manually adjust" the reticle position - he can literally not move the RIGHT JOYSTICK to "AIM Better" - it is done For him. Recoil is the only thing that will push the reticle. P_KB has to manually and slowly adjust the positioning. (CTRL WINS)

Based on Above scenario - CTRL has an advantage.

Although the above scenario is an ideal state, I would say that on consoles, the game is less punishing for Controller Players, from an aiming perspective.

BUILDING

I can't really consider this to be an issue (use builder pro) - K/B input (on console) is fairly lacking, in the sense that if you want to place a floor, ramp, wall, based on my experience, it usually places it further away. Especially when you "spam build" this becomes a real issue as I find myself most of the times double building (meaning you build two walls instead of one, placed at different distances compared to your char).

CTRL has an advantage (utilizing less resources), K/B feels more "snappy"

SNIPING

Sniping is rather less cumbersome on K/B.

K/B has an advantage, but it can easily be offset by the AIM ASSIST LUCK FACTOR
    (bullets do CURVE via controller, hitting shots that should be a clean miss)

HARDWARE/SOFTWARE CONSIDERATIONS

Somebody mentioned already that K/B has a weird acceleration curve on PS4 (vs PC). It is for this purpose that I've clearly stated that the scenario is based on console play, PS4 specifically.
    When you get into the details of how movements from the input (i.e controller, mouse) are translated into the graphical motion (i.e how your cursor moves on screen), there is a weird acceleration curve that is best described (verbally) by many on Youtube comparing some K/B inputs vs the controller.
    That's why, given the chance, people that use dedicated PS4 gear similar to K/B+Mouse still use it as a "Controller" - because it enables the AIM ASSIST.

Coming back to the accelaration, what happens is that if you (based on a specific mouse/ in-game settings i.e 10 speed / 1600 DPI), move your mouse 5 inches on your mousepad in one way, then come back to the starting point (with same speed for the full duration of this back and forth movement - same length), YOUR CURSOR WILL NOT END UP IN THE SAME POSITION AS IT WERE WHEN YOU STARTED MOVING THE MOUSE.

OVERALL

I find it that K/B does not make you better on consoles vs CONTROLLER, stating that if you take the same guy that knows how to play well on both, that choice is driven by other factors, definitely not by an increased sense of accuracy whatsoever. (could be positioning, playing from the couch vs chair, display choice monitor, tv, projector etc...)

FORTNITE, at its core, is a LUCK GAME. With bloom, random weapon spawns, various minor bugs, place a floor and yet you still fall...etc...
    There are more things that can go "Wrong" in a given game, as opposed to a recipe than ensures a win. (this applies to the majority of players; streamers- the famous ones, make up for less than 0.001% of the TOTAL PLAYER BASE FOR CONSOLES* Fortnite is a game of in the range of 20+ million players (across platforms) vs up to 100/1000 streamers that might be locally or internationally famous)

So in conclusion - debating over K/B - and making it "look" like you can start your first day of Fortnite on k/B and win in a duel vs a seasoned controller player is fundamentally WRONG.

Funny enough though, the opposite applies - meaning that a new player using a controller, still has a high chance to deal full dmg with a shotgun to your face, even if his aim is off.

Cheers,
    CapSun

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Kb&m>scuff>default controller if Sony and Epic games let you choose which input controls to use. Who’s fault is it, that you choose to play on inferior controls?

Leave a comment:

• commented on 's reply
    They're working on that

• replied
    Maybe epic should make a separate lobby for m+k users? How hard can that be? There is a definite advantage over controller but it would be unfair to people who play with m+k to remove it completely. At present it is op against controller and whole not cheating is an unfair advantage. Someone wrote "it's therefore everyone to use, so use it" ridiculous statement. So I can just pick up a mouse and keyboard and become a god? Please epic, see sense and split users into two separate groups, m+k and controllers. Seems fair to me.

Leave a comment:

• commented on 's reply
    this is not a problem for me most likely your keyboard

• replied
    Controller crowd won’t have anymore excuses after they separate the servers.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Funny listening to KBMers trying to justify it. Easy, KBM servers Controller servers. How can anyone complain about that.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    what do yall think about mouse and keyboard users being moved into pc servers im sure they can do that

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Psilo-cybin View Post
    People still use mouse and keyboard even on a pc ? Jeeez .. nothing more sociable playing a game in your living room on your couch through your tv - pc or console ! Those reclusive desk days are over **** try hards !

What the hell goes through this guys head. He sounds like an angry parent!

Leave a comment:

• commented on 's reply
    I would play on PC but mine is too bad ( 20-30 fps on 1280x960 and all settings on low) so i take the constant 30 fps on ps4 with better graphics. But it feels like there is high input lag on ps4 when it comes to mouse movements compared to pc i dont think playing with m+k on ps4 isnt really a advantage
Working...
X