Glider positioning matters, tested and proven

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glider positioning matters, tested and proven

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyRLvdGmQE4

Better method to test would have been to jump off the bus right at the start, move outside of the map (directly above water instead of land) and start timing when your glider is deployed instead of when you jumped off the bus.

Comment

Hm interesting, I might have to re-test that way.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the way it works is like this:

- There is a set height, approximately around ground level for most of the map.
        - Glider opens if you are X vertical distance from that plane.
        - If a plane you can stand on (mountain, building, tree...) is above the default plane, you open the glider when X vertical distance from that instead.
        - The check is performed serverside, meaning that ping affects how early or late you open the glider.
        - I'm fairly sure either a random number generator or the hiccups caused by 100 clients being connected at once make it a little random.

These are my conclusions from just playing the game and noticing the following:

- Flying over a mountain or building definetly force-opens the glider early.
        - Seeing how the height difference between any of the map's edges and the water (and consider that the ground below that water goes about twice as far, I've seen it after glitching through the ground when my internet died as I was jumping out of the bus), you'd think that the difference between skydiving over water vs the map's edge would give wildly different results, but you open the glider at pretty much the same height.
        - I've glided over out-of-map water, auto-opened the glider as late as possible then noticed players who still went on skydiving even over land and opening their glider several seconds later than me, landing much, MUCH earlier. I mostly skydived straight downwards for maximum speed as well.

If EPIC could reveal how it works exactly, it'd be great.

Comment

I wish they would reveal how it works exactly but then again trying to figure it out ourselves is interesting too lol

Comment

PH is correct, when your glider is x distance from a plane you can stand on it is deployed, and there is a global minimum distance which is why going over water does not mean your glider is deployed earlier.

I think this is common knowledge and there is no debate around these facts, which is why there is no need for Epic to outright state it (everyone knows how it works).

This test intends to demonstrate the difference between the different gliding techniques, and the reason why I recommended you fly over water is because throughout the map you will hit the global minimum distance limit since the elevation of water is equal around the entire map (this eliminates the factor of different ground elevation affecting when your glider is deployed and skewing your results).

Comment

Originally posted by DPGunn View Post
              PH is correct, when your glider is x distance from a plane you can stand on it is deployed, and there is a global minimum distance which is why going over water does not mean your glider is deployed earlier.

I think this is common knowledge and there is no debate around these facts, which is why there is no need for Epic to outright state it (everyone knows how it works).

This test intends to demonstrate the difference between the different gliding techniques, and the reason why I recommended you fly over water is because throughout the map you will hit the global minimum distance limit since the elevation of water is equal around the entire map (this eliminates the factor of different ground elevation affecting when your glider is deployed and skewing your results).
              Makes sense, if I test again I'll do it that way.

Comment

Working...
              X