X

Trap Ideas

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trap Ideas

Some time ago my buddy and I developed a trap design that has proven itself time and again. With little adjustments here and there, for each unique situation, this little gem has provided safety—sometimes it's the only thing that saved us—and laughs more than once. While I have tried to share this idea while playing, there isn't always time to do that. So here are some blueprints to get you started. Enjoy and happy gaming!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image_10942.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	525.6 KB
ID:	249032Click image for larger version

Name:	image_10943.jpg
Size:	489.6 KB
ID:	249033
    Last edited by Jonathan_Wolff; 04-02-2018, 10:39 PM. Reason: Fixed and updated images.

Im gonna try it. Looks good

Edit: Tested it. Worked nice.
    LVL70 protect the van.
    Behind the trap was a way down to the van.
    ​​​​​​Trap was left alone and only in the last 2 minutes the backwall broke.

​​​​
    (**** ​​​wallspikes picked up on map)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Mayonaiske; 01-30-2018, 04:13 PM.

Comment

• Jonathan_Wolff commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm glad to hear it! My buddy and I like to set it up with an opening to the target (like the van). If we do that the husks almost always head straight into the opening. Then we just sit back and watch and shoot as needed (like the big guys, wall bashers and such). We defended Lar's van using nothing but the Jarcih Frame a few times (when the landscape allows). The husks just get launched off of cliffs and we only shoot because we want to, not because we need to.

Tried again. 2 flipflop traps (better more catchy name :p) on a fight the storm lvl 70.

Worked great it eats husks for dinner.
    1 side was completly destroyed by bombers and smashers in last part of the match. But the other side's trap was unharmed!
    (Did not leave the end open but double walls next to it so husk choos the 1wall with the wall launcher trap to break. They all went in.)

Sry dark picture.

Comment

Editing a comment
      At the risk of sounds rude, 'better' is subjective, and since my my buddy and I came up with it, we get to name it :) (it's a nickname he and I have shared).
      Anyway, I am glad you are finding ways to make it work for you. Our initial idea, in the lower levels, was to slow the horde down by sending them backward so we had more time to reload and shoot. But as the game has advanced and so have our versions of it and our uses. We have had much success in sending husks off cliffs or into basements, or just off to the side from a second story, all in the name of buying some time (and maybe killing them).
      It looks like your setup sends them into more traps. I hadn't thought of that. I can see how that kind of crowd control could be very helpful. Thanks for the new idea!

• NokarStormBlade commented
      Editing a comment
      I think he meant a better name for the floor launchers.

This idea is fantastic just due to the fact that the slanted ceiling pushes them back with that launcher force. Thanks for the strategy Jonathon

Comment

Lvl 70 worked great. But the higher i get in twine peaks its less usable. To many smashers.
      slanted walls ' stairs round objective is about only thing that stops them. Even lvl3 iron goes down like butter 2,3 smashers at same time in same spot is rip trap. :(

Comment

Editing a comment
        Sorry it's not working for you anymore. At the level I am at, it continues to hurl everything (even smashers). The design was intended to funnel and to slow down, not stop, husks. The first design has a ceiling trap on the other side so when the floor launcher sent them back, the defender could reload, and while the floor launcher reset the ceiling trap would do additional damage. It was never meant as a "Shall Not Pass" kinda thing, again, just a support.

Here is the 3rd installment in the series that was never meant to be a series.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Jarich_Frame_High5.jpg Views:	1 Size:	541.2 KB ID:	249080

Here is the 4th and 5th. Both are sort of a joke based on the 3rd. But they still kinda work.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Jarich_Frame_Ridiculous.jpg Views:	1 Size:	436.1 KB ID:	249095
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Jarich_Frame_Carnival.jpg Views:	1 Size:	271.2 KB ID:	249098
      Last edited by Jonathan_Wolff; 04-02-2018, 11:24 PM. Reason: Fixed text and updated images.

Comment

Oh, you guys put a lot of effort in making these... I was playing something like that when the early access launched last year. Usually used a lot of wall launchpad to throw them into a giant hole when one of my friends told me I could place sloped walls over launch pads and choose a direction for the husks.
        Never really used it if I got no hole, but with your addition, i feel the urge to test it again!

Comment

Editing a comment
          It started with desperation and low ammo and a hilltop. We needed to just hold out for 5 minutes but had very little ammo. So this trap sort of happened. Then we just kept trying new things for different situations/terran. I just used three 'High Five' traps, side by side, on a hill top to send the husks backward so they wouldn't jump off and land on the van. By the time they got through the traps they were half dead. And the big guys that shot lasers out their eyes would just stand there and set the trap off over and over again.
          Also, I'm glad this inspired you.

• Nimassus commented
          Editing a comment
          I tested it and it works like a charm. Definitely one of the best trap designs I have seen so far!

Editing a comment
          Thank you! I am glad it worked for you!

Here is another design brought to you by my buddy and I. We have seen multiple "Death Tunnel" ideas and we thought if we could control the flow of the Husk traffic then we stand a better chance of survival. We have also noticed that the Husks go after opportunities that seem easier. With the arch in the wall design at the entrance, the Husks usually leave the walls alone, walk into the Dragon, and get frozen or cooked. When they freeze they back up the tunnel. With the wall lights they stop walking and back up the flow. We have found that multi-targeting traps do the best—like the Ceiling Electric Field. We tried an Ice and Fire Dragon side by side just to see what would occur. We almost laughed to the point where we couldn't shoot watching the Husks stumble through. Eventually the front traps wear out just as traps do, we did well just the same.

Name:	Dragon_Tunnel.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	333.4 KB
ID:	256182
        Attached Files

Comment

Nice , old school blueprint. Where did you get it ? My most used is electric ceiling fields with floor launchers.
          Last edited by Catalyst_Light; 04-07-2018, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Catalyst_Light View Post
            Nice , old school blueprint. Where did you get it ? My most used is electric ceiling fields with floor launchers.
            I make these. I am a Graphic Designer by profession.
            I love my Electric Ceiling Feild! With its ability to target multiple husks it's great to set on the ceiling of entryways or similar openings just to weaken them. And floor launchers are great too. I didn't think so at first because the husks just went into the air, but after employing into the Jarich Frame or High Five trap designs it has become a favorite of mine.

Comment

• Catalyst_Light commented
              Editing a comment
              I love the launchers to mess with the husks path, send them back, giving time for traps to reset and hit them again. My favorite was launching a smasher with a floor trap up into an angled ceiling and to my surprise in flew across the map , 4-5 tiles. It still makes me smile thinking of it . Electric Ceiling Fields, well my master grenadier focus is on aoe so with 2 or 3 rows of ECF and an occasional grenades with little husk are decimated.But honestly I could happily build traps alone for my defenses , if only I had Machinist Constructor sigh !

I just have to say wow after looking at all these blueprints. The trap ideas are amazing and the blueprints are easy to understand and in my opinion really cool looking. Also love the name and the names of the variations, even though I’ve only used the original and second variation so far I’ll make sure to try them all out. Anyway good job this is really cool.

Comment

• NokarStormBlade commented
              Editing a comment
              Also the death tunnel is amazing too, it would be cool to see some variations of that but besides different traps not sure how you could change it up.

Editing a comment
              I am currently setting The Dragon on the sides of one of my Amplifiers in Plankerton. The Amplifier is in a spot where the Husks can only attack from two directions and so I set up two Dragons on two sides so both mouths are next to each other, this way the Husks will walk into either one. The ends of the tunnel have the open archway (like the picture in the lower right corner) into the Amplifier structure. Then I copied the design on the other sides. I am adding other security measures and such around the structure, but not much. I have found if there is an easy opening, the Husks usually walk right into it.
              I don't know yet how well this will work only because I have to wait for the mission. I hope it works out. However, you are right about it's limited use. It came out of the problem of a two tile long tunnel wasn't long enough. Three tile long tunnels and the Husks break through somewhere. With an arcway, you can not only have an extra floor tile but then a ceiling tile and that thin bit of wall makes them walk onto/under those extra traps (plus it just kinda looks cooler). It's like getting the damage of a three tile tunnel with the structural security of two!

This works great in Stonewood and OK in Plankerton, but I haven't tried it in Canny Valley at all.
            Last edited by Jonathan_Wolff; 05-19-2018, 01:53 AM.

Comment

This works great in Stonewood and OK in Plankerton, but I haven't tried it in Canny Valley at all.

Name:	SDF_Map.jpg
Size:	329.4 KB
ID:	373905
              Last edited by Jonathan_Wolff; Yesterday, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X