• Filter
  • Time
  • Author membership
  • Show
Clear All

• Holiday Survival Musings

'Tis the season...

Play
    The progression quests are displayed in the "Play" tab by clicking the "View Event" button. The first quest is "No Joy". To figure out what you need to do, head to the "Quests" tab, in the Event section and lookup the quest of the same name. Spoiler: you need to listen to 8 radio broadcasts. Huh, hrm, what? Go to a zone and find radios and activate them. To make it easier to locate, they'll show up as a yellow exclamation point on the radar map once someone in the group has come within range of them.

Quests
    While you are in the "Quests" tab, have a look at the others. Some require you to play 3 or 7 day "Survive the Storm" missions, which you can access via the special pin in the "Map". Others require you to kill "Epic Mini-Bosses". Those are visible on the main map (not the in-game map): they show up as white skulls besides the pins (rather than a storm).

Some quests can only be completed if within a Survive the Storm event, some can only be completed in regular zones (i.e. not within a Survive the Storm event) and some can be completed in both areas. Be sure to read the fineprint if you have any problems advancing a quest.

Collection Book
    As with every event, it is worth looking at the heroes and schematics that can be obtained during this event and make decisions before being presented with a Llama choice: do you want an assault rifle or a sniper rifle? It's difficult to make that decision when you do not know what you are getting, unless you look at them in the collection book, via the Preview button. Also, take a loot at all the rewards and plot your decisions accordingly. For example, the "Cold as Ice" quest rewards you with the legendary sniper rifle "Frostbite". Knowing this, you may not want to select a sniper rifle as a choice reward from a Llama (unless you wish for different perks).

4 festive heroes
    5 Vacuum Tube ranged weapons
    4 Crystal Tube ranged weapons
    3 Vacuum Tube melee weapons
    3 Crystal Tube melee weapons

Currencies
    This event comes with three new currencies:
    • Daily Coins earned by completing daily missions (in addition to V-bucks)
    • Seasonal Gold earned by completing a mission
    • Snowflake Tickets earned by completing a mission
    The tickets are used to purchase Llamas, in the "Loot" tab and the coins and gold are used to purchase items in the "Seasonal Store".

Seasonal Store
    Naturally, to find the "Seasonal Store" you head to the "Store" tab to look at what you can buy and...nothing, nada, it's not there! It turns out the "Seasonal Store" is within the "Loot" tab. At the very top you'll see a "Pinatas" and an "Event" toggle. Click on the "Event" to see what you can purchase.

There are two sets of items. The "Event Items" last 40 days i.e. the entire duration of the event. And the "Weekly Items", which should last 7 days but since the week is already in progress, it may last only until next saturday 2017-12-15 at 8 pm EST (I'm guessing on this, but that's when the right-most Llama normally changes).

Of particular interest are the Armory slots. These are permanent account upgrades that cannot be obtained any other way. Sure it's tempting to buy heroes, schematics or flux, but armory slots cannot be obtained by playing the game.

Also note that there are two types of currencies: daily coins and seasonal gold. The coins appear to only be used to purchase weekly items but the gold is used for both the event and weekly items.

Upgrade Hero Rarity
    The rarity upgrade mechanism allows us to upgrade an uncomon (green) hero into a rare (blue) hero, a rare hero into an epic (purple) hero, and an epic hero into a legendary (orange) hero. There do not seem to be level requirements: I can upgrade my rare hero of level 9/10 as well as my epic hero of level 1/10.

You need 100 Flux to upgrade your hero from one rarity to another. There are different "rarities" of flux. The flux needed to upgrade a hero is the same as your desired hero rarity. To upgrade a rare hero to epic you need 100 epic flux. And to upgrade an epic hero to legendary you need 100 legendary flux rarity.

Flux can be purchased from the "Seasonal Store", at the cost of 75 gold for 5 legendary flux, 75 gold for 10 epic flux, and 30 gold for 10 rare flux.

The following only relates to the upgrade of epic into legendary heroes.

The "Event Items" section has a limit of 20 purchases over the entire event and the "Weekly Items" section has a limit of 5 purchases per week. I'm assuming that after the week resets the flux will still be available for purchase and that the limit will have reset i.e. we can buy 5 per week.

Warning, warning, math coming up!

The event lasts 40 days. The first "week" only has 3 days, followed by 5 full weeks and a last week of 1 to 2 days; a grand total of 7 weeks. So 5 purchases per week for 7 weeks = 35 purchases. Adding the 20 purchases from the "Event Items" gives a total of 55 purchases. Each purchase consists of 5 flux, giving us 55 x 5 = 275 flux in total.

Since each hero upgrade needs 100 flux, only 2 epic heroes can be upgraded to legendary during this event. It remains to be seen how we'll acquire gold once the event is over.

Backpack and Storage Access
    Included with the event, but not limited to its duration, is the access to the Backpack and Storm Shield Defense Storage, from the "Armory" tab. We can now view (but not craft) our inventory from the Homebase, as well as move contents between the backpack and the storage without having to zone into the Storm Shield Defense zone. [This was removed due to a bug.]
    Last edited by Galinet; 12-18-2017, 08:28 AM.

Mini-Bosses

They are quite stronger than regular enemies: my level 56 rescue trooper soldier found a level 21 mini-boss challenging and had to swap to her good weapons to kill it! Don't be fraid to request assistance. On the PC you can click the middle mouse button (aka the mousewheel button) to paint a target on an enemy. Doing this to a mini-boss makes it easier for others to find.

/Rant on. I've seen many high level players going to Stonewoods to kill those mini-bosses (me included, obviously). But for Saint Nick's sake, LET THE LOWER LEVEL PLAYERS HIT THE MINI-BOSS!!! This is such bad behavior. We know you are high level, that you're doing the event in your sleep, that you are ubah, godly and whatever else. Don't be jerks and give the lower levels enough time to hit the mini-boss.

Survive the Storm
    First, two cryptic messages. 1) The thing you seek is NOT a statue but under water. 2) Things
    in your visor are closer than you think!

Second, there's a slight change from the previous version. After surviving a night, you will not
    have to loot a package of supplies; the supplies are automatically moved into your backpack.

Some generators will need to be upgraded: be certain to leave room for vertical growth i.e. don't build a roof right on top of the generator. To skip the rest of the day, operate the generator.

Each player is allowed to spawn 1 defender each. Please observe proper defender etiquette:
    • Only use appropriately leveled defenders: don't spawn a level 1 defender in a level 70 storm!
    • Give them a weapon and sufficient ammo
    • Be sensible about their placement i.e. don't place a ranged defender in the middle of the path of oncoming enemies. Or at the very least build them a protective structure
    • The storm moves around so yes, you can lay down multiple defender pads and relocate your defender
    • Check the integrity of their weapons and make certain they have sufficient ammo

The level 70 zones were visible at Power Level 59. They may have been visible at 57 or 58 but I had not checked. To increase your Power Level, level up and evolve your Survivor Squads.

Mini-Boss Spawns

Survive the Storm
    • On day 3 at 5:00 remaining
    • On day 7

Timed Zones
    On the main map look for a skull icon; a mini-boss will spawn in that zone, when 2:30 (2 minutes 3 seconds) remain.

Here's how the mini-boss looks on the radar map: a purple flower. Notice the white skull in red background: this means that there's a mini-boss modifier in effect i.e. it will spawn when there's 2:30 remaining. Yes, I'm repeating 2:30 a lot but 2:30 is the time you need to be on the lookout for the mini-boss to ensure you get some hits on it before it gets destroyed, a few seconds after 2:30 if there are high level players.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Mini-boss on Radar Map.png Views:	1 Size:	65.8 KB ID:	122459Click image for larger version  Name:	Mini-boss Flower.png Views:	2 Size:	3.1 KB ID:	122460

Welcome to the Party, Pal!

The quest description says: Find Ray's present stash, and make with the merriment! Ok. Hrm. The reward is an epic Blitzen Base Kyle, so yeah, I want to do it. But what am I supposed to do? Well, there's an objective at 0/1 that says: Complete the Spread the Joy mission. Ok. Hrm. What the grinch am I supposed to do?

I looked through Stonewood, Plankerton and Canny Valley but found nothing. NOTHING! Ok. Hrm. Oh!! I haven't looked in Survive the Storm. TADA! There's a new region called...Spread the Joy. That must be it!

Alright, we completed it (reread the second word, it says "we", plural, a group, not solo). And, now, I have to lay down. Having flashbacks to Horde Bash. Smasher wave. There weren't as many but still, you put one down and another one's making its way toward you. On and on and on they came. Trying to smash all the presents.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Galinet; 12-21-2017, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	Mini-Boss Pin.png Views:	3 Size:	234.9 KB ID:	119551
      Mini-boss Icon on Main Map: a mini-boss will spawn in that zone.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	EpicHusk.png Views:	2 Size:	204.9 KB ID:	119552
      Mini-boss show a special health bar in upper screen. Please let everyone hit it to get the 20 gold reward.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	image_4969.png Views:	2 Size:	305.0 KB ID:	119550 Should you wait until x-mas to open your presents? If you're like me, you cannot wait. And from time to time you'll find a SUPER present, which gives gifts to everyone in the group.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	There's Something About that Ice.png Views:	2 Size:	611.9 KB ID:	120392

There something about that ice...in a survive the storm zone.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Galinet; 12-18-2017, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Quest Progression Items
        Click image for larger version  Name:	1.MiniMap.png Views:	1 Size:	43.1 KB ID:	120133
        Progression items show up on the in-game mini map when a team member gets near enough.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	1.Radio.png Views:	1 Size:	182.2 KB ID:	120134
        Listen to the radio
        Click image for larger version  Name:	2.Ornament.png Views:	1 Size:	71.8 KB ID:	120135
        Get the ornaments out of the storage box. Be thankfull you do not have to untangle the lights!
        Click image for larger version  Name:	4.Tree of Fruits and Nuts.png Views:	1 Size:	115.9 KB ID:	120136
        Get fruits and nuts from a special tree, sometimes.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	7.StreetLight.png Views:	2 Size:	85.8 KB ID:	120139
        Get Switch Board parts from Street Light
        Click image for larger version  Name:	8.Fridge.png Views:	1 Size:	141.6 KB ID:	120140
        Get Freezer parts from refrigerators
        Click image for larger version  Name:	9.Secret Santa Gift.png Views:	1 Size:	67.8 KB ID:	120203
        Find secret santa's present, but do not open until x-mas!
        Click image for larger version  Name:	10.Small Pine Tree.png Views:	1 Size:	269.7 KB ID:	120204
        Get pristine trees from small pine trees
        Click image for larger version

Name:	11.Holiday Story Book.png
Views:	1
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	120275 Story books

Name:	12.Christmas Trees.png
Views:	1
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	120276
        Christmas trees
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Galinet; 12-17-2017, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Hero rarity upgrade, what do we get?

Here's an example with my level 40 epic Rescue Trooper soldier:
          • 13 power level
          • 4,913 health (12%)
          • 3,214 shield (13%)
          Epic and legendary have the same perks, so nothing new there. However the health and shield gain are a nice bonus.

Name:	Hero Rarity Upgrade.png
Views:	3
Size:	294.3 KB
ID:	122455
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Galinet; 12-20-2017, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Repeating this because it is ticking me off royally.

/Rant on.

I've seen many high level players going to Stonewoods to kill those mini-bosses (me included, obviously). But for Saint Nick's sake, LET THE LOWER LEVEL PLAYERS HIT THE MINI-BOSS!!! This is such bad behavior. We know you are high level, that you're doing the event in your sleep, that you are ubah, godly and whatever else. Don't be jerks and give the lower levels enough time to hit the mini-boss.
            Last edited by Galinet; 12-20-2017, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Galinet View Post
              Repeating this because it is ticking me off royally.

/Rant on.

I've seen many high level players going to Stonewoods to kill those mini-bosses (me included, obviously). But for Saint Nick's sake, LET THE LOWER LEVEL PLAYERS HIT THE MINI-BOSS!!! This is such bad behavior. We know you are high level, that you're doing the event in your sleep, that you are ubah, godly and whatever else. Don't be jerks and give the lower levels enough time to hit the mini-boss.
              What would be the point though, can get more snow tickets, rewarded xp, resources and gold (plus the gold from mini boss) just by spending the same time in a higher leveled mission. Save perhaps if you're in the middle or early stages of Canny.

Comment

Working...
              X