X

What do you carry into missions?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you carry into missions?

This is up for general discussion. Even with ALL the Founder's perks, upgraded skills, etc., you can only carry so much into a mission with you.

Myself, I generally carry into a mission:

500 of each crafting material, IF I have that many on hand. Usually it's 500 of the very common stuff (dropping or now trashing the excess), with varying amounts of Fibrous Herbs, Nuts & Bolts, Ores, Charcoal, and Mechanical Parts, etc. I really dislike with how much limited pack space we have that crafting mats only stack to 99, but we're still in Early Access, so here's to hoping.Most missions I try to have 999 each of wood, stone, and metal so I can help out any others that are in mission with me, but sometimes I go in with near nothing, but we make it. The only time I have more that that quantity is if I am building up for an SSD event and I store a bunch of it in my Storm Shield. When I am running with mt son and friends, I generally don't fret, but when I'm running with strangers I find myself worrying that I can't contribute enough to the group (uncommon feeling, I know...). With all that said, most missions I find myself struggling to keep enough stuff on-hand to make ammo, traps, etc.

What and how much of each do you guys carry with you and why? Do you find yourself struggling to keep resources on hand?

I'm actually glad you posted this thread, as someone who's only been playing the game for about 10 days now, I'm at the point where I'm really starting to stock up on crafting materials and they're starting to butt up against the limit of my 70 backpack slots. I'm curious to hear what people say.

Obviously for W/B/M I try to have as much as possible going in. I haven't really needed to consider stacks of other materials until now. Nuts and bolts and planks are the biggest to consider for me. I think I have like 5/6 stacks of N&B and Planks. Maybe it's overkill, but I like not having to worry about it for crafting. I'd almost rather have more mats in my inventory than weapons.

Speaking of weapons, I have only 1 legendary sword, because melee-wise that's all I use right now. Ranged, I maybe have 4 different guns, whatever I'm using at the moment.

If it was just that I'd be fine, but it's always a balance of "why do I have these traps and do I need them with me?" I think I need to get into a better habit of after each mission or 2, going into my storm shield and laying down some of the powerful traps I have with me, and then use traps I find right away on missions, in the missions.
    PSNProfiles | Started playing Fortnite in December 2017.

Comment

My approach is a little bit different, rather than hoard materials I keep traps & weapons stocked up. I usually maintain 1-3 stacks of my favorite traps and at least 1 extra replacement rifle. Beyond that 2 stacks of N&B plus a stack of each of the weapon crafting materials.

As I enter mission I restock ammo and gather wood / metal while looking for the objective / bluglo. Once located I'll drop at least half of my wood, stone, and metal and start crafting traps back to that 2ish stack threshold while restocking materials. I deconstruct weapons and traps as I find them, only holding onto heal pads which I place when I return to the objective. Once back at the objective I apply or share traps liberally, if someone else happens to be laying down a field of traps and I'm topped off I drop whatever surplus materials they need.

For me this system keeps my inventory uncluttered although it does bite me on the rump from time to time when I find myself grouped with back to back early starts.

Comment

Yeah you save inventory space by crafting stuff beforehand. So I try to have 40 floor, ceiling and wall traps to start a session (not a mission, but a session). When I do farming missions I tag those traps and farm until I can make 40. If I do 3 or 4 missions I may run out but then I just either do survivors / encampments or farm again.

Comment

The crafting materials needed depend on the level of your weapons and traps. If they are levels 1-10 then you need tier 1 (Stonewood) crafting materials and if they are level 11-20 then you need tier 2 (Plankerton) crafting materials. Having both triers of weapons and traps will rapidly fill up a backpack with two tiers of materials. So try to level up everything you regularly use.

For weapons I always carry a spare. If your weapon breaks and you need to take a timeout to craft a new one, bad things can happen.

I tend to fill up on planks and rough ores (10 stacks or more). If grouped with others, drop them near the base; they might be low and appreciate the extra.
          Last edited by Galinet; 12-18-2017, 07:11 AM.

Comment

As far as what's in my Inventory is concerned, I usually just think on the fly at the moment. At the very least, I try to have enough resources to Craft Ammo when I need it, and try to farm for it when I'm running low. With Weapons, I usually try to set it up in a way where I can be effective at most ranges, meaning one weapon designated for close range, another for mid to long range and the last one dedicated to Crowd Control. Right now, I'm in Plankerton at the moment, which may or may not explain the lack of a dedicated pre-mission strategy on my part.

Comment

What I usually start a session with:
              Three primart weapons
              A backup of any weapon with low durability
              One melee weapon
              One rocket launcher
              Full stack of traps for ones I use regularly
              Two stacks of blasting powder and duct tape (saves room)
              Full or close to full building materials
              Ammo at least half of max
              A smattering of crafting materials

Comment

Regarding weapons / ammunition.

I carry an assault rifle (Nailer) that uses medium bullets; great against normal husks. It has good range.

Another assault rifle (Hydra) that uses shotgun bullets: great against husky and smashers. This has a lesser range but greater impact.

Finally I have a sword against flingers, that I swap out for sniper rifle to bring down the balloon and sometimes those pesky, far away lobbers. And sometimes an explosive weapon or rocket launcher, although most of the time my Rescue Trooper's Frag Grenades and Shockwave take care of swarms.

And when the mission is challenging, I bring out a defender sniper that uses heavy bullets and another defender pistol that uses light bullets.

My "trick" is to use different types of bullets such that when I find an ammunition cache, I replenish everything, without having to craft a ton of ammo. Sadly this tactic does not always work.

Comment

Originally posted by Galinet View Post
                  My "trick" is to use different types of bullets such that when I find an ammunition cache, I replenish everything, without having to craft a ton of ammo. Sadly this tactic does not always work.
                  Nothing at all wrong with an approach like that if you can pull it off, I just never seem to be able to find ammo cache's unless I'm topped off on a particular ammo type :P

Comment

My Bagpack is always 1second away of exploding. I have my shredder and my stormblade always with me and for an emercency higher level weapons and a granatelauncher in case things get nasty. I also stacked more than 600 Traps , so I am prepared :) And usually I start with between 0-500 buildingmaterials , depending on the mission type.

Comment

Originally posted by kakamouth View Post
                      My approach is a little bit different, rather than hoard materials I keep traps & weapons stocked up. I usually maintain 1-3 stacks of my favorite traps and at least 1 extra replacement rifle. Beyond that 2 stacks of N&B plus a stack of each of the weapon crafting materials.

As I enter mission I restock ammo and gather wood / metal while looking for the objective / bluglo. Once located I'll drop at least half of my wood, stone, and metal and start crafting traps back to that 2ish stack threshold while restocking materials. I deconstruct weapons and traps as I find them, only holding onto heal pads which I place when I return to the objective. Once back at the objective I apply or share traps liberally, if someone else happens to be laying down a field of traps and I'm topped off I drop whatever surplus materials they need.

For me this system keeps my inventory uncluttered although it does bite me on the rump from time to time when I find myself grouped with back to back early starts.
                      I just did this earlier and it dropped me from 50 odd slots to just under 40 for a bit. But i agree a lot of the basic crafting things just don't stack high enough IMO. It makes inventory more of a pain than it should be.

Comment

Working...
                      X