X

Retrieve the data drop zone build suggestion

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retrieve the data drop zone build suggestion

Hi, had this pointed out to me during a mission (aka can’t take credit for it), and think it’s worth a post.

For “retrieve the data,” the drop zone is a 2x2 blocked area, but if you’ve noticed, the machine only fills one tile. If you look up, you can figure out which tile it will land on, and build 2 of the 4 walls while waiting for it to land and to clear the 4 tiles to build on. At that point you can throw up two walls and a ceiling and only need to defend one tile, not 4.

Pros: you only have 4 walls to protect, not 8. You also save traps as you only need 4 wall traps instead of 8. Third, your field of fire is wide open, and you save yourself having to sprint around to get after husks on the opposite side. Lastly, it will save you resources on lower levels as you can minimize the fort size. On higher levels the build will require to be more impressive, as smashers and the like appear and can crush a small fort quickly leaving the machine exposed to husks to corrupt the files.

cons: you have to wait until the balloon lands to finish your build, creating a hasty throw-together and takes a bit to get your walls and roof to tier 3 if you need to improve them. Another con is everyone LOVES to find the drop zone, slap up 8 walls and roll on to hunt for chests and side missions, so unless you control the drop zone it won’t really matter.

You can also build a 1 square pyramid.

Comment

Rather than look up, use your minimap. If you go to each corner of the 2-by-2 square and check your minimap, there is only one corner that shows your icon/arrow inside the objective's white circle. The is the corner in which the data balloon will land.

Comment

I typically toss together the bulk of my fortifications prior to the data hitting the ground. I put up two walls with push traps in the corner the data will land on, then I lay out floor tiles with spike traps so they extend 1 tile to either side of the data. Lastly I toss up a pair of wall with spike launchers in the corners of that 3x3 floored section... it can be expanded a bit and ceiling sections can be added as needed. But generally speaking I'm placing 1 ceiling, 2 walls and 5 walls traps once the data is down and it forms a happy little mouse trap the team can run around.

The only downside is when you get someone who doesn't think it's good enough and insist on adding extra walls which really hampers the designs effectiveness.

Comment

Slygumbi's design is minimal and basically covered by prior comments on this thread. It's pretty op for these missions and cheap.

Comment

"The only downside is when you get someone who doesn't think it's good enough and insist on adding extra walls which really hampers the designs effectiveness."

This! More often than not, others on the team refuse to consider and follow the 1-by-1 plan. When this happens, I stop any building and let them worry about it. It's wasteful, but resources are easy to come by.

Comment

Once you have identified the corner, put up two walls on that corner, and then put two reversed stairs on the walls with a floor under each stairs - place floor launchers on the floor pieces. This causes Smashers to come up to the reversed stairs and punch rather than charge through the box. Once the data lands, repeat the construction on the two exposed sides.

Comment

Thanks this is very helpful! Will have to mention in chat to people not to build though

Comment

Working...
                X