Guide: Surviving a fortnight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Author membership
  • Show
Clear All

• Guide: Surviving a fortnight

These are a few tips based on experience from closed test that will help you to get through the survival mode, especially 14 days missions. Some of it is more obvious, some of it is less, but it's all here because this is what you will need if you want to survive 14 days of the storm. Good luck out there, commanders!

Survival mode

Your task is to survive from 3 to 12 days. During the day you’ll be placing new generators or upgrading existing ones and gathering materials to improve your base to build protection for the generators. During the nights you will have to protect the generators from increasingly larger and tougher waves of husks that may attack from multiple directions at once. Each night the husks power will increase: for example in Stonewood you will start with power 5 husks and will face power 19 in the last wave. The key to beating this mode is cooperation and resource sharing. Voice-chat for coordination will make things a lot easier.

For those going onto 7 and 14 day missions:

The mission is going to be long. ~ 2h 10m for 7 days and ~ 4h 15m for the 14 day version. Get some snacks, and large cup of tea beforehand. Having a comfortable seat will help as well. If you need to do something, better do it at the beginning of the day – this way you will have about 10 minutes to get back and be right there when your team will need your help during the next night.

Gameplay tips

The countdown for the first day starts as soon as you spawn into the mission, so don't waste your time and get building as fast as possible.
    • Each day the first thing you must do is to make sure you install or upgrade the generator!
      If you fail to do that before the day’s end, the mission will instantly fail. Believe me, it’s more painful to lose because of that than to being overrun by hordes of husks.
    • Communicate
      The key to beating this mode is cooperation. Voice-chat for coordination will make things a lot easier even if some of the players will only be able to listen.
    • Split your responsibilities
      Decide who is going to build and who is going to gather resources. The day time is limited, so make sure you make the most of it.
    • Share building and crafting materials with whoever is building the base or crafting traps
      This way gatherers always have room for more stuff and builders won't have to worry about running out of building materials.
    • Scout out the approaches for each wave before building
      This will save you time and allow you to prepare for the most immediate threat. Keep in mind that some of early spawns will destroy some of your defences.
    • Build funnels
      Husks will often attack on a very wide front, so funneling them to one place to wear them down with traps is a must. Let the funnel traps deal with husks and clean up the stragglers.
    • Focus enemies that attack structures
      To survive the waves you need to keep your funnels and walls intact, so first and foremost you need to focus the enemies that will try to damage those: ‘Sploders, Smashers, and Lobbers.
    • Revive your teammates
      Since this a long mode, there’s no set numbers of respawns. Dead players will either have to wait for someone to revive them or respawn back at the spawn point and backtrack to the base. Last but not least - their weapons won’t break if they are revived and this will also help save resources.
    • Build “tent” above outlying generators
      Lobbers will spawn and in longer missions your outlying generators will be quite close to the wall of your fort, so they will bombard those from outside of the fort’s perimeter. Roofs will give you some extra time to deal with those and reduce the damage to core structures.
    • Prepare spare traps
      The traps will expire, especially on the longer missions. Always keep a few at hand so that your funnels wear down the husks as much as possible before you have to deal them.
    • Save some materials for immediate repairs
      While pooling resources does help building, keep around 200-250 of each building material for emergency repairs and building.
    • Use jumppads
      Late in the game, especially in 14 day missions, your base will be huge. Use horizontal jumppads to move across the base faster. They will also help you scavenge the corners of the map - just leave a trail of these and you’ll be able to get back to the base much faster. Vertical jumppads by the outer wall of the fort will also save you time on running to the nearest entrance.
    • Leave space for generator upgrades
      Upgraded generators are two tiles high, so when building defences around a new generator build a 1x2x2 box around them, or they will tear down roof when upgraded.
    • Make sure you have enough resources to craft your weapons
      You’ll be getting mechanical parts and ropes, but it may be a good idea to stock up on ore for your weapons as whatever ore you will be able to find on the map very likely won't be enough.
    • Outlanders can help a lot with resources
      Outlander fragments respawn each night, so go get those llamas!
    • Keep an eye on the minimap
      Some husks may and will go way around and try breaking through walls or attack some of generators that are way away from action, so keep an eye on the minimap to notice those stragglers in time.
    • Keep track of the timer
      You don’t want to be caught out harvesting on the edge of the map or worse, not having placed the generator when the day time runs out.

Building and resources

You start this mode with whatever building/crafting materials that you have in your inventory. Same goes for your weapons and traps. Starting with the second day, each player will get a package containing some resources reducing the need for harvesting. However you will still need to harvest for extra building and crafting material, which is why it’s best to determine who is going to build and who is going to scavenge from the get go. Last but not least, make sure to pick up any leftover stuff before the end of the last day - you won’t be able to pick it up after the last night!
    Last edited by _Lynx; 09-16-2017, 11:13 AM.

I have yet to play this mode. would you recommend one of each class? or are you looking for 4 soldiers? what would be the ideal comp to make it 14 days

Comment

Good luck....when you get booted out at night 13, look me up

Comment

Originally posted by _Lynx View Post
        These are a few tips based on experience from closed test that will help you to get through the survival mode, especially 14 days missions. Some of it is more obvious, some of it is less, but it's all here because this is what you will need if you want to survive 14 days of the storm. Good luck out there, commanders!

Survival mode

Your task is to survive from 3 to 12 days. During the day you’ll be placing new generators or upgrading existing ones and gathering materials to improve your base to build protection for the generators. During the nights you will have to protect the generators from increasingly larger and tougher waves of husks that may attack from multiple directions at once. Each night the husks power will increase: for example in Stonewood you will start with power 5 husks and will face power 19 in the last wave. The key to beating this mode is cooperation and resource sharing. Voice-chat for coordination will make things a lot easier.

For those going onto 7 and 14 day missions:

The mission is going to be long. ~ 2h 10m for 7 days and ~ 4h 15m for the 14 day version. Get some snacks, and large cup of tea beforehand. Having a comfortable seat will help as well. If you need to do something, better do it at the beginning of the day – this way you will have about 10 minutes to get back and be right there when your team will need your help during the next night.

Gameplay tips

The countdown for the first day starts as soon as you spawn into the mission, so don't waste your time and get building as fast as possible.
        • Each day the first thing you must do is to make sure you install or upgrade the generator!
          If you fail to do that before the day’s end, the mission will instantly fail. Believe me, it’s more painful to lose because of that than to being overrun by hordes of husks.
        • Communicate
          The key to beating this mode is cooperation. Voice-chat for coordination will make things a lot easier even if some of the players will only be able to listen.
        • Split your responsibilities
          Decide who is going to build and who is going to gather resources. The day time is limited, so make sure you make the most of it.
        • Share building and crafting materials with whoever is building the base or crafting traps
          This way gatherers always have room for more stuff and builders won't have to worry about running out of building materials.
        • Scout out the approaches for each wave before building
          This will save you time and allow you to prepare for the most immediate threat. Keep in mind that some of early spawns will destroy some of your defences.
        • Build funnels
          Husks will often attack on a very wide front, so funneling them to one place to wear them down with traps is a must. Let the funnel traps deal with husks and clean up the stragglers.
        • Focus enemies that attack structures
          To survive the waves you need to keep your funnels and walls intact, so first and foremost you need to focus the enemies that will try to damage those: ‘Sploders, Smashers, and Lobbers.
        • Revive your teammates
          Since this a long mode, there’s no set numbers of respawns. Dead players will either have to wait for someone to revive them or respawn back at the spawn point and backtrack to the base. Last but not least - their weapons won’t break if they are revived and this will also help save resources.
        • Build “tent” above outlying generators
          Lobbers will spawn and in longer missions your outlying generators will be quite close to the wall of your fort, so they will bombard those from outside of the fort’s perimeter. Roofs will give you some extra time to deal with those and reduce the damage to core structures.
        • Prepare spare traps
          The traps will expire, especially on the longer missions. Always keep a few at hand so that your funnels wear down the husks as much as possible before you have to deal them.
        • Save some materials for immediate repairs
          While pooling resources does help building, keep around 200-250 of each building material for emergency repairs and building.
        • Use jumppads
          Late in the game, especially in 14 day missions, your base will be huge. Use horizontal jumppads to move across the base faster. They will also help you scavenge the corners of the map - just leave a trail of these and you’ll be able to get back to the base much faster. Vertical jumppads by the outer wall of the fort will also save you time on running to the nearest entrance.
        • Leave space for generator upgrades
          Upgraded generators are two tiles high, so when building defences around a new generator build a 1x2x2 box around them, or they will tear down roof when upgraded.
        • Make sure you have enough resources to craft your weapons
          You’ll be getting mechanical parts and ropes, but it may be a good idea to stock up on ore for your weapons as whatever ore you will be able to find on the map very likely won't be enough.
        • Keep an eye on the minimap
          Some husks may and will go way around and try breaking through walls or attack some of generators that are way away from action, so keep an eye on the minimap to notice those stragglers in time.
        • Keep track of the timer
          You don’t want to be caught out harvesting on the edge of the map or worse, not having placed the generator when the day time runs out.

Building and resources

You start this mode with whatever building/crafting materials that you have in your inventory. Same goes for your weapons and traps. Starting with the second day, each player will get a package containing some resources reducing the need for harvesting. However you will still need to harvest for extra building and crafting material, which is why it’s best to determine who is going to build and who is going to scavenge from the get go. Last but not least, make sure to pick up any leftover stuff before the end of the last day - you won’t be able to pick it up after the last night!
        Solid tips, Lynx. Thanks for taking the time to share this.

Comment

You forgot how an Outlander can help reduce the stress on gathering building mats by simply placing down their loot llama during the day for everyone to had at it!

Comment

Originally posted by Icebolt123 View Post
            You forgot how an Outlander can help reduce the stress on gathering building mats by simply placing down their loot llama during the day for everyone to had at it!
            Always an awesome way to keep the resources flowin'!

Comment

Originally posted by [EPIC
              Tense;n65555]

Always an awesome way to keep the resources flowin'!
              Outlanders can be a life saver on building mats in STS! They really are useful in this mode

Comment

Going in for my Level 40 - 14 day tonight. Thanks for the tips and tricks. I know how demanding this mode can be but after looking over all of the information I feel more confident. I will definitely be bringing my Llama game for the group!

~ Mal
                Technology is best when it brings people together. - Matt Mullenweg

Comment

Originally posted by Maleficara View Post
                  Going in for my Level 40 - 14 day tonight. Thanks for the tips and tricks. I know how demanding this mode can be but after looking over all of the information I feel more confident. I will definitely be bringing my Llama game for the group!

~ Mal
                  By Llama game you mean you're going to be an Outlander right or was it a pun on bring my A game? If not a pun... good on you for trying to give Outlanders a good name after the lashing and hate players have caused towards them outside of STS

Comment

Originally posted by Maleficara View Post

~ Mal
                    Good luck!

Originally posted by Icebolt123 View Post
                    Yeah,thanks for the addition! This was written a few days before the StS release and on the runs that we did we had no Outlanders so I didn't pay attention to the fragments, but they actually do respawn each day!

Comment

I hate to be this way but you want a guide for Survive the Storm?

Find four competent players.

That's it.

Comment

Working...
                      X