Building Guide: The Inverted Pyramid

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Author membership
  • Show
Clear All

• Building Guide: The Inverted Pyramid

Some of you already now it, but for those not familiar with this build, this is the guide for you!

To be honest, seeing pyramid builds since early alpha is getting a bit old, so why not spice it up a bit and try something new?

Some might say it does not provide the same mobility as the normal pyramid but in my opinion it just needs a bit more flexibility. There will be jumppads on each side to quickly get on top if necessary and running around is even faster.

Here is a "schematic" how to build the inverted pyramid, and where to place the right traps. Traps are crucial for this build, so make sure you have at least 4 good floor launchers in your inventory.

Husks will only attack one of the 4 slanted roofs, don't worry about the corners. You can close these with 8x triangle walls to calm your nerves, but it is not really necessary. Tip: T3 Stone triangles have openings and allow you to shoot through them.
    Above you see 3 variations of the inverted pyramid, each one getting a bit stronger.
    You can even go further depending on the mission difficulty. Just make sure you don't place a roof above the jump pads!

You can wait with placing most of the traps when you think they will only attack one side. Just make sure to place the floor launchers first, they are the most important trap!

For a detailed look, check the attachments!

Any questions or comments?

Additional tipps:
    When you place defender beacons in on of the corners instead of a healing pad, the defender will take cover behind the windowed walls.
    You can also add normal walls with darts for some extra dmg. Just leave one tile open next to the windowed wall and then 2 walls on each side, allowing the darts to shoot the launched husks. Wall darts have a range of 3 tiles.
    To increase the delay even more, add wooden floor spikes between the "landing zone" and the floor launchers.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Rul1n; 09-11-2017, 05:44 AM.

I like that... will test it myself.

Comment

This looks awesome. Will certainly try. Thank you Rul1n!

Comment

From personal experience, the screaming Witches will bombard the Base right off, when it's in the open on a roof (or ground).

Personally I want to be able to shoot down on Husks beating on the walls. In your build I cannot see them. It's annoying to get down for 1 Husks and spend more time getting back up again. The ground layout with the traps I do like.

Comment

Awesome ideas! Thanks for sharing with everyone.

I'm going to try some of your ideas myself.

Cheers,
          Tense

Comment

I really like this. Cheap, compact and effective. Puts the B.A.S.E. to good use too.

Comment

I give this build a full 100% thumbs up. This has advantages that standard pyramids don't have, but it loses the main advantage of pyramids. If a smasher charges a pyramid he runs over the top doing no damage. But this design is 10x better for repelling propane tank attacks. They work out relatively evenly since both smashers and propanes can wreck walls fast.
              This design however is better from the point of view of trappability tho. ^

Comment

I use something similar to this when playing vans and I have a bunch of traps I don't normally use that work pretty well at any level like the floor launchers, but I have legendary wall darts I'm fond of and are leveled so I add some around the edges.

I put the healing pads on the roof and forego the jump pads in favor of launch pads positioned around the outside using a slant to get ontop of my wall dart locations and launcher from there so I can not only reach the healing I have a fast travel around the outer parameter if something big should come up. Same basic design but I sub in 4 extra traps on the floor. I don't have good wall dynamos so I leave the low wall as an obstacle more or less, but I usually extend it with a partial low wall to make their path a little longer and haven't had them break it yet, just use basic wood for the extension though so if it breaks no harm no foul if the pathing gets messed up it's easy to remove in the middle and they should path around it not attack it so the quality doesn't much matter.

Comment

That wont work very well later on.

Comment

Originally posted by infused View Post
                    That wont work very well later on.
                    A good follow-up to a comment like this would be to detail why it wouldn't work and possible examples of how to fix the issues for later on down the road.

Otherwise someone can just come along and simply say:

"Yes it will."

and leave it at that.

Comment

Originally posted by kittikat View Post

A good follow-up to a comment like this would be to detail why it wouldn't work and possible examples of how to fix the issues for later on down the road.

Otherwise someone can just come along and simply say:

"Yes it will."

and leave it at that.
                      Challenge ACCEPTED!! The most glaring thing, is the tile that has the launchers and healing pads. With only that thin wall, pitchers, lobbers, flingers, exploders and smashers will plow through that weak point at higher levels. Husks were coded with low health and stupid AIs until late plank. Once you hit mid plank its more about the funnel and less about the base because the husks hit way too hard to be allowed near it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nadira View Post

Challenge ACCEPTED!! The most glaring thing, is the tile that has the launchers and healing pads. With only that thin wall, pitchers, lobbers, flingers, exploders and smashers will plow through that weak point at higher levels. Husks were coded with low health and stupid AIs until late plank. Once you hit mid plank its more about the funnel and less about the base because the husks hit way too hard to be allowed near it.
                        nice! and thanks! I was wondering why many builds after plank all started becoming Pyramid+Maze/Funnels as the "go-to" build without much deviation. Seems like Pyramids are the Meta passed Plank, though they're so boring looking.

Comment

nice! and thanks! I was wondering why many builds after plank all started becoming Pyramid+Maze/Funnels as the "go-to" build without much deviation. Seems like Pyramids are the Meta passed Plank, though they're so boring looking.
                          There's also, the donut. Slanted Roof, Balcony Floor, Straight Wall with some sort of wall traps. All around the objective like a donut, and roof it with a base. A few slanted walls to use to get up to the top, no stairs or jump pads needed. That's the one Nyan uses the most.

I have a little more variety, but I play a constructer and having a BASE is a little more forgiving for creativity.

Comment

Funnel makes them all go to the same spot. Far easier than chasing them all over the place while they beat on random places on your walls. Its far more resource efficient to trap up a funnel than to make a ring of traps. Also when funnels get damaged its generally just the far end of it. A smart funnel just becomes a little shorter when that happens and can be thrown back up quickly.

Comment

Seems like Pyramids are the Meta passed Plank, though they're so boring looking.
                              I'll agree that the various pyramid layouts are all boring. But they're easy to traverse, extremely easy to modify (adding 1 block high walls to create emergency funnels), and offer clear lines of sight. All of the plus sign shaped forts run into trouble later on because the spawns are so dense husks (charging smashers & thrown propane tanks are particularly rough) get caught in those corners. As Nadira mentioned the focus for your fort moves outwards in the form of funnels, the pyramid is really just a cheap cover for the objective. That's not to say Rul1n's design is bad, it's an absolute meat grinder that defends itself early on, and even at later levels a build like that is good for dealing with the odd husks that slip (or gets thrown) past your team.

Comment

Working...
                              X