X

Bullet Economies

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bullet Economies

I hate farming bullets so I decided to test which bullets farm fastest and essentially attempt to determine how you can extrapolate that into which weapons are actually more efficient in terms of bullet economy. I'll admit my test is flawed but I dumped too much time in it not to share it with people.

I was playing Rescue the Survivors with only Melee Weapons to not skew the results and wasn't leeching so it took time to help look for medkits and such from my bullet hunting, I only did it once, I left my group open to public so I was competing with other players who also looted the area, and I played only the event area for the duration. I also I didn't have a stop clock and didn't discount time I was in menus or load times so the results are a bit skewed by default hence being up front that the test is flawed but in general it might be helpful to some people.

Shotgun Shells filled in about 4 hours from 0-1000
    Heavy Bullets filled in about 5 hours from 0-1000
    Medium Bullets filled in about 5 hours from 0-3000
    Light Bullets filled in about 6 hours from 0-5000
    Energy Cells filled in about 12 hours from 0-3000

Like I said bias ignored Shotgun Shells are the effectively the most efficient weapons by default being farmed at the highest and Energy Cells are simply ridiculous expensive and not worth using IMO since I hate farming bullets. (which is why I ran the test)

For one hour
    Shotgun Shells 250
    Heavy Bullets 200
    Medium Bullets 600
    Light Bullets 833
    Energy Cells 250
    --
    Now some calculations to determine the thresholds in which a Shotgun Weapon is more efficient than a Light Weapon or any other comparison
    *All efficiency refers solely to bullet economy and doesn't take into account ANY other stat. So if that weapon gets it's higher damage per bullet from headshots, base damage, average expected damage factoring in crit chance and crit damage or even elemental differences (which element particularly matters with Energy Cells ofcourse since they deal bonus to elemental, but Energy Cells have garbage economy as the calcs will show you're trading DPS for a terribly expensive economy in their case) it doesn't matter as long as that threshold is meant, it also doesn't take into account if an enemy is killed in a single shot so assume the full damage is applied as if you're hitting a Smasher or something that surely won't die in a single shot.* Calculations for each weapon are in terms of the the weapon whose header it is under so the percents change when comparing Shotgun to Heavy or Heavy to Shotgun, but it's actually the same ratio just in different terms. 500 is 125% of 400 meanwhile 400 is 80% of 500 for instance. And once again this doesn't factor in creating bullets what-so-ever.

Shotgun
    A Heavy weapon needs to deal 125% of the Shotgun weapon's damage.
    A Medium weapon needs to deal 42% of the Shotgun weapon's damage.
    A Light weapon needs to deal 30% of the Shotgun weapon's damage.
    An Energy weapon needs to deal 100% of the Shotgun weapon's damage.

Heavy
    A Shotgun weapon needs to deal 80% of the Heavy weapon's damage.
    A Medium weapon needs to deal 33% of the Heavy weapon's damage.
    A Light weapon needs to deal 24% of the Heavy weapon's damage.
    An Energy weapon needs to deal 80% of the Heavy weapon's damage.

Medium
    A Shotgun weapon needs to deal 240% of the Medium weapon's damage.
    A Heavy weapon needs to deal 300% of the Medium weapon's damage.
    A Light weapon needs to deal 72% of the Medium weapon's damage.
    An Energy weapon needs to deal 240% of the Medium weapon's damage.

Light
    A Shotgun weapon needs to deal 333% of the Light weapon's damage.
    A Heavy weapon needs to deal 417% of the Light weapon's damage.
    A Medium weapon needs to deal 139% of the Medium weapon's damage.
    An Energy weapon needs to deal 333% of the Light weapon's damage.

Energy
    A Shotgun weapon needs to deal 100% of the Energy weapon's damage.
    A Heavy weapon needs to deal 125% of the Energy weapon's damage.
    A Medium weapon needs to deal 42% of the Energy weapon's damage.
    A Light weapon needs to deal 30% of the Energy weapon's damage.

Impressive research!

while in my earlier games I tried a few different weapons to see how everything worked out. I tried a little of everything. What I soon found out matched what your saying. I started running with a Rare over and under shotgun, an assault rifle, and a sniper.

I soon found out that I rarely ever used my sniper and wanted to replace it with something I could get some use of. I consider using melee, but found it to be extremely underwhelming.

during that scavenger event I came across a semi auto shot gun and was very impressed with the results. It was pure bliss. It would completely destroy smashers and the like. It also had a pretty fair ammo efficiency. I use it sparingly though because you can use quite a bit of shells with it.

so now my load out is rare over and under, epic semi auto shotty, and epic equalizer. I use the O&U for small adds and stuff the gets to close. It will stun or knock down what it doesn't kill. I use the semi auto for health heavy adds that are in range, and use my assault for picking off ranged targets and far off health heavy adds.

i can usually rock that set up for a few games before needing to resupply. When I do need to, I just get my outlander and go into a private game and get mats and ammo boxes. It's usually shotgun shells that I need, but as long as I'm above 500 I'm not worried.

i am currently level 32 and I can normally net more kills then most. Those that usually out kill me are those with about 10 levels higher and the occasional ninja.

Although, my Rare over and under is starting to loose its one shot capability on small husks unless I upgrade it, and I'm not seeing the resources enough to feel comfortable upgrading right now. I'm forced to use back breaker in its place, and it's not as good at creating that wall of lead that kills adds.

anyway, awesome research and happy hunting!

Comment

I think there should be more ammo, more material, and everything should be more obtainable.

Also think we should be able to earn more V-Bucks in STW

im early game, and the halloween event and quests so far, are pretty repetitious, which is boring.

Comment

to the OP:

or you can just stop using bullets and use this instead. I call it, “The Last Resort” I don’t always shoot but when I do, I nuke em.
        Last edited by D00M3D2D13; 11-28-2017, 04:45 AM. Reason: my laughing emoji didnt work ????

Comment

Fun stuff. Of course you can easily craft your own ammunition, turning your hours of farming into just a few minutes of whacking some trees and stuff. And then there's the issue of weapon durability and the resource costs of creating replacement weapons. So you might have one weapon that seems ammo efficient, but in the long run it might require more resources than another weapon.

Thank goodness ammo is more than plentiful by just queuing up some crafting mixed with what you find in the wild. Well, except for in the scavenger event I suppose. Ammo got scarce by the end of 14 day runs sometimes.

Comment

Just craft...

Comment

Working...
            X