X

Obsidian or Shadowshard

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Obsidian or Shadowshard

What's the consensus of which upgrade is better and at what point in-game should we choose to upgrade? (Ex. Beginning of canny valley or twin etc)

Shadowshard items have more damage/impact per attack at the cost of speed and durability. I generally prefer Shadowshard because:
    + The damage bonus means I will need less shots = less durability actually lost to kill something (balances it out).
    + The speed reduction makes ARs specifically easier to handle (the recoil) and the downside is IN MOST CASES barely noticeable.
    + When you die you lose a PERCENTAGE of your durability, so dieing with a weapon that has less base durability to begin with means you'll lose less durability compared to the Obsidian variant (don't quote me on this, because the last time I tried this was months ago)

But there are some reasons NOT to pick Shadowshard:
    - The speed reduction is not preferred on melee weapons because it can screw you over with how the current melee mechanics work.
    - The materials are slightly harder to find.

Obsidian is just the next upgrade after malachite. I wouldn't bother T4ing anything until you reach late Canny (67-70) and you get the occasional ore deposit, and even then always have a backup 3star.
    Last edited by Bleeder91<NL>; 11-09-2017, 08:42 AM.
    "Just a little something in times of need." - RaY

Comment

• Rul1n commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the info!

I decided to turn my Buzzcut into an Obsidian version. It is Super Duper OP @ LVL 91 when I can use it but I never have enough SLEEK MECHANICAL PARTS or OBSIDIAN.

Does anyone have a good way to FARM OBSIDIAN or SLEEK MECHANICAL PARTS?????

Comment

• xd_ici gaming commented
      Editing a comment
      add me my fortnite name is ici gaming add me i will give you as much as you need and i'll give you double the obsidian to give me guns

When is a good time to make t 40 weapons? Twine? Is it generally 1 star per world? So stonewood is lvl 10, Plankerton lvl 20, canny valley level 30 weapons?

also where are Shadowshards mostly common? Malachite seems abundant in canny valley
    Last edited by thesicilian0ne; 11-10-2017, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Shadowshard is pretty much better in everything including durability actually so if you're looking for an all encompassing general answer if you had to live with just one it'd be Shadowshard. Any time you save a bullet that also saves durability from the Shadowshard side so if that number becomes greater than 20% you essentially got more use out of your Shadowshard weapon than your Obsidian weapon. So if a husk takes 3 Obsidian bullets but only 2 Shadowshard bullets that's saving 1 shot from your Shadowshard weapon which means you Shadowshard gun will effectively last longer. Take the Nocturno for instance the Nocturno consumes .1 durability per bullet which means Obsidian can fire 3750 bullets per craft while Shadowshard can fire 3000 bullets per craft if I save 1 bullet per kill using the previous example at 3 to 2 I can kill 1250 husks with the Obsidian Nocturno, but I can kill 1500 husks with the Shadowshard Nocturno. In the end DPS is always boosted with Shadowshard and the reduced firerate can reduce the recoil a little bit from firing more slowly so there are gameplay factors you can't calculate on paper that MAY come into effect. Shadowshard at the very least helps bullet economy which is can be annoying to farm for, but that can be relieved by crafting ammo instead of purely farming it. The main difference is the rarity of the respective. Shadowshard is more rare and forces you down the shard evolution so that carries into tier 5 and obsidian is more abundant.
      -
      Stonewood has Copper, but has Silver in the later areas and your Stonewood tree lets you use Silver weapons to their fullest.
      Plankerton has Silver, but Malachite in the later areas and your Plankerton tree lets you use Malachite weapon to their fullest. You can still get Copper from certain objects.
      Canny has Malachite and Tier 4 materials in the later areas and your Canny tree lets you use tier 4 weapons to their fullest. You can still get Silver from certain objects.
      Twine has Tier 4 and Tier 5 in the later areas and obviously Twine lets you use tier 5 to their fullest.

General rule wait until you actually start getting the material before upgrading a tier. Tier 4 are the common materials in Twine Peaks, but you can have Tier 4s in Canny by playing the higher regions of Canny. It says right on the description where items are found and the ore will specifically say the rarity in the region as well as the environment they're found, never really paid too much attention to the descriptions of other items, but as I recall it says the lootable objects they're found at the very least unsure if it says the region or not however.
      Last edited by Dwlr; 11-12-2017, 12:30 AM.

Comment

Always remember that shadowsharding a weapon changes the cost to make the weapon. In general I would advise people to obsidian a weapon that's a a base go to like the noct, but shadow a weapon you need in a pinch to do real damage.

Not only do you need both ores, shadow weapons switch the requirement from blast powder to crystals. If you're far enough in progress at this point you're using only launchers/lights/freeze traps, which freeze traps take crystals too. So having fall back weapons you can make which don't require the same mats as your baseline traps is a great advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwlr View Post
          Stonewood has Copper, but has Silver in the later areas and your Stonewood tree lets you use Silver weapons to their fullest.
          Plankerton has Silver, but Malachite in the later areas and your Plankerton tree lets you use Malachite weapon to their fullest. You can still get Copper from certain objects.
          Canny has Malachite and Tier 4 materials in the later areas and your Canny tree lets you use tier 4 weapons to their fullest. You can still get Silver from certain objects.
          Twine has Tier 4 and Tier 5 in the later areas and obviously Twine lets you use tier 5 to their fullest.
          thank you for this, i decided to T3 my trusty blue shrike now that im doing 40 - 46 missions in plankerton! I suddenly felt the combat pressure ease off, but the annoying thing is the rain drops requirements, Jesus Christ 40 rain drops for a legendary to go T3! Not to mention heroes/traps D:

Comment

Shadowshard is always better. Every time. The only question is how much time you're willing to spend hunting shadowshards and their T5 variants later on. High-level players don't seem to have a problem accumulating Shadowshards, and except for a turdy obsidian Terminator I use on low-tier stuff when I don't want to waste valuable dura, I'm pretty sure I'm going to Shadowshard everything.

Make RLs with that spare obsidian (RLs can't be shadowsharded).

Comment

When I was nearing the end of Canny valley (going through 64 and 70 lvled missions) I accumulated a couple stacks and a half of obsidian from doing storm chests about midway through my 70s. Finishing it off while using these obsidian weapons (shredder and nightcleave (two epic weapons)) I found I ran out and needed to trade for obsidian. I don't die more than once every other game, if that but I do kill everything in sight so that would also cause enhanced cycling of my resources.
              I think if you have legendaries at obsidian and have a couple stacks (full) of obsidian you should be alright midway through the lvl 64 quest chain (going into Canny Valley Storm Shield 5). The Sleek Parts will be difficult to find so keep an eye out and always break those electrical boxes/power boxes for more parts.

Later in Twine you'll find Shadowshard is much more abundant, taking the place of about 20% of quartz crystal whereas obsidian is more rare, much like Malachite is in Canny (well, if you're passively looking). However the durability on Obsidian means you don't go through Sleek parts as quickly as Shadownshard.

Dwlr did make a good point with killing faster but in reality shadowshard doesn't provide that big of a bonus. If you use a soldier and use your guns excessively on all manner of husk and mist monster than Obsidian and Brightcore Ore route isn't one you want to take. If you're primarily shooting at the mist monsters and letting traps handle the little guys then shadowshard is also the one you want to take. If you're just breaking out your shredder as a dragon slash ninja to take out tiny husks, pitchers, lobbers, huskys and Cyclops' than obsidian will provide more than enough damage for that kind of gun to one shot on a headshot (obviously huskys and Cyclops' take more). As the counterpoint to Dwlr's argument is; would you rather use 2 durability on your shadowshard weapon or 1 on your obsidian.

Personally I find so much shadowshard over obsidian in Twine that I'll probably make most of my weapons Shadowshard but there is a large need for Sleek Mechanical parts. The other crafting materials for the gun are easy enough to find in bulk.

Comment

Originally posted by ElJefeHEB View Post
                I decided to turn my Buzzcut into an Obsidian version. It is Super Duper OP @ LVL 91 when I can use it but I never have enough SLEEK MECHANICAL PARTS or OBSIDIAN.

Does anyone have a good way to FARM OBSIDIAN or SLEEK MECHANICAL PARTS?????
                treasure chest, reward encamp and outlander skill diamond dude

Comment

i have obsidian and sleek and all the stuff to craft obsidian or shadowshard guns but im in plankerton not in canny so i wont know how to get to canny that fast because it is too hard and i took soo long and im still at page 3 of plankerton this sucks because my friends are giving me 130s and now my whole inventory is 130s what do i do to get to canny fast i have 350 shadow and 380 obsidian but i cant do anything with them and i want to be able to craft 106s i would love to because 106s can make 130s if you trade 2 for a 130 and can have more since im getting fake scammer gets scammed by my friends when i dont even scam and then the next day they give it back but they dont give all of it back and they accidently keep 1 of my 130 nocs or graves

Comment

• Pegalonia commented
                    Editing a comment
                    With all due respect, but i when i read your post then i see a huge sign reading "I want taxi to Twine so i can make bling bling and scam the noobs"

• Trail 160 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Punctuation can be your friend if you let it.

Periods mean so much to me right now.

Comment

I still cant decide for my Dam Buster. Obsidian can provide that dura but its most damaging launcher so maybe to shadow to max max damage... I dont want to mess it cause it´s my only recipe for it.

Comment

I still didn't clear enough SSDs to move to Twine, so my only source for Obsidian and Shadowshard is high-Canny. Which is very unreliable. Eventually, I did aquire about 50 of each material. So, I decided to upgrade my second favourite gun, the Hammercrush, to Obsidian.

Things I took into consideration for this upgrade:
                      -Since my aquisition of these two materials is unreliable, only Obsidian was an option for this upgrade. Shadowshard equipment breaks down much faster, which means less time to aquire enough materials for replacements.
                      -The Hammercrush schematic is relatively easy to get, in case I ever want a Shadowshard Hammercrush. My Tiger schematic on the other hand, is irreplacable, Shadowshard will be the only option for that gun, and I can pick only once.
                      -The Hammercrush is my SECOND favourite weapon. The Tiger is still my go-to weapon. I only use the (currently much better) Hammercrush in games where I really need a bit more punch than the Tiger provides, again extending the time I have to aquire materials for replacement.
                      https://www.stormshield.one/pve/stats/staggerhat

Comment

• kilo23mc commented
                        Editing a comment
                        You need some help with Ssd, let me know, Staggerhat!

How do u find shadow and sleek parts

Comment

• LoosersKlub commented
                        Editing a comment
                        You don't need them if you can't get them, as simple as that.

• CarolinaKingme commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That’s the best answer right there.
                    Working...
                    X