X

RNG won't let me do the main quest so here I am

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RNG won't let me do the main quest so here I am

Yeah, Epic Games made RNGesus rule The World of Fortnite, and now RNGesus won't let me do my Main Quest because there are no options on the map to do it. I don't want to level up anything or play random stuff until I unlock the next zone. So I thought I'd come here and dump my frustration with this problem in the game, which happens for what feels like the 100th time now. Over and over again, I can't do the Main Quest! This game is a lot of fun when it works but an immense amount of frustration when it doesn't, and a game that won't let you follow your Main Quest is definitely a game that's not working in my book.

The worst thing is that this is pushing me to stop playing for good, not just to take a break. It's off-putting when a game forces you to "take a break" or do something random, rather than leaving you empowered with the ability to make that choice yourself. If this is expected due to scheduled maintenance, then that's not an issue because you know it's coming, but when it happens this way, it really puts me off.

How did this design decision remain active until now? I really don't understand; I've never played a single game in my life that does this to me ... blocks me from progressing on a main quest chain by leaving me with no options to do it!

I hear your frustration, and I think this hopefully would get resolved when more story content gets added so the main quest line isn't just "Beat X types of missions in a X+ difficulty zone", because that's what you're running into. Regardless, I do think that is in part the nature of Fortnite. Not necessarily the main quest progression, but the general gameplay, building, and even if you aren't progressing your main quest-line, you're still accumulating resources, XP, etc. which to me personally, I can never get enough of. I often find myself doing non-quest missions just to seek out those specific materials.

Now I know my opinion might not be shared by everyone, but I do still hope Epic finds more ways to address the RNG part of the Main Quest, maybe by changing the main quest requirements to make it a bit broader (ie. complete a Mission Alert mission of any type at X+ difficulty).
    PSNProfiles | Started playing Fortnite in December 2017.

Comment

• Monotheist commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for empathizing at least, Dead-Sync.

Yes, more "narrated" quests could be slightly more fun, but you know what? Just like you can play this game like a never-ending sandbox game without any quests at all, I'm actually fine with the generic Main Quests of Canny Valley and Twine Peaks, of the "Commander, keep fighting the good fight and save the world by completing more [generic] missions". I'm really fine with that, especially because the previous narrated quests weren't even that different from what I'm doing now in Canny Valley to be perfectly honest! They just involved a few extra recorded voice-over lines by the talented actress behind Ray. However, in the grand scheme of things, they were kind of the same generic quests for the most part anyway; I don't even remember any of the quests, other than the Valentine quests that kind of stood out a little, even if the writing was as brilliant as it was with the main storyline here and there. I do remember that the writing was good but I don't really remember any special events in the story TBH. So yeah, this is why I'm okay with the generic quests in CV; I just want to be able to DO them without interruptions!

And I swear, once I make it to Twine Peaks, I'll be perfectly happy ignoring the Main Quest half of the time while just playing the game like a sandbox game for the rest of the time. It's just that I really don't feel like doing this now; not before I unlock the end-game zone.

And generally speaking, the level of RNG implementation in this otherwise fun game is border-line fanatic!!!

I have no idea which specific quest you mean. But i often have the same thing with the survivor relay quest. Whenever a player with such quest joins a game, there simply must be at least 1 antenna for them to complete. And this should be for all quests. When having to find 4 and 50% of the time there isnt any, it means you are forced to play 8 games only to just complete 1 part of the quest. If they realy want you to play 8 games, it should just explicitly state that.

Finish 4 relay survivor missions in a X+ zone
    Finish 8 missions in an X+ zone

Is better than just letting it all decide by random. And i have seen worse where a player didnt find such mission 5x in a row. In this case you at least know that you have to finish 8 missions. And that is fine.

Comment

I feel your pain. I'm currently slogging my way through Canny and there's been several times that I've ended up stuck because none of the missions I needed to advance were even on the map at the required level. Even if the mission is there, you're lucky if you get even one other person to join you on it.

If they're not going to bother with any kind of story line, they should just change all of them to "do 3 missions (of any type) of level x".

Comment

• Galinet commented
        Editing a comment
        Canny Valley is not complete; the current quests there are placeholder. One reason you have trouble finding other players is that many, like myself, are waiting for the real quests, so we're not really playing there.

Fortnite will go free to play this year so I expect the real quests/storyline to be released soon (within 4 months).

Originally posted by UkcsAlias View Post
      I have no idea which specific quest you mean. But i often have the same thing with the survivor relay quest. Whenever a player with such quest joins a game, there simply must be at least 1 antenna for them to complete. And this should be for all quests. When having to find 4 and 50% of the time there isnt any, it means you are forced to play 8 games only to just complete 1 part of the quest. If they realy want you to play 8 games, it should just explicitly state that.

Finish 4 relay survivor missions in a X+ zone
      Finish 8 missions in an X+ zone

Is better than just letting it all decide by random. And i have seen worse where a player didnt find such mission 5x in a row. In this case you at least know that you have to finish 8 missions. And that is fine.
      Oh You won't be able to wait for the NEXT complete relay survivors mission
      (I think it's 8, can't remember)

Comment

I hate that RNG dictates the quests as well! I am in the 70+ missions looking for 3 anomalies. I have played 24 missions over a 4 day period and still only have 2 of the 3 anomalies. I uncover the entire area each time, look through the map afterwards, and ask other to let me know if they see it just to make sure i didnt miss it.. With an average of 20minutes per mission (which is low for a 70+ mission) that is 8 hours for 2 anomalies. And the mission before this (3 bluglo trolls) took me 16 missions to complete.. Its absolutely ridiculous!

I've had the same issue with dailies as well (which isnt as big of a deal imo).. But still, 8 missions to destroy 3 fire trucks is a bit much..

Comment

• CrazySquiggle commented
          Editing a comment
          2 weeks and 50+ missions later for last fire trucks mission I had :l

same problem here... cat1/2/3 at 70+ and none in last 3 days... thats frustrating... even more when you see 4 copies of the same mission that dosen't fit your quest...

Comment

I had the same issue with 'complete 3 radar missions'. It took 5 days for me to even see one pop up at the right level.

Comment

I’m done Canny Valley Part 1 after ssd 3 and the mission after that now it won’t let me go into part two!! And it’s making me mad!!!! FIX THIS

Comment

Working...
            X