X

PSA: Don't help the enemy husks.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PSA: Don't help the enemy husks.

I've seen this quite a few times now in the past few days. Players, on occasion meaning well, will help the enemy.

They see an airstrike coming, they build a roof over the target (usually a mini-boss or boss tier enemy). The roof blocks the airstrike and obviously, the boss survives what probably would have wiped out at least half the boss's health. Even better is when they see 3 airstrikes and they block all three.

Ally summons a unit, Another ally builds a wall between the unit and the enemies. This isn't so bad since eventually the enemies should get through the wall, but then they summon a decoy and do nothing so the unit gets wasted with a 60s cooldown (Bear, Lightning, Drone, etc.). (Especially bad for players who are still in the earlier stages (don't have everything unlocked and maxed out) and are specialized into tech). That may just be a mistake because of the decoy end explosion, but the alternative is building a box around the unit, which is hard to consider a mistake.

Building a huge complex fortress... on the opposite side that the enemies spawn from. This just doesn't work and counts against our building limit.

Building stairs to the sky is fine, but making one by the objective also counts against the building limit and if you pass this value, you lose the bonus that you'd get. You can build further away to have it not count against the limit and still do your dives.

Building bypasses to the defenses that the enemies can use does not help your team.

Destroying another player's work in order to push the enemies into your own work. This doesn't work well since in some cases, you may have just completely negated your ally's defenses, especially complex combo based ones (such as a launcher convoy to push enemies into a pit filled with damaging traps.

Hording the bluglo for no reason also does not help your team when it can be used for raising difficulty, team boosts, helping survivors, and other objectives. If you have more than you need, you can throw it onto the ground for other players to use.

Rushing the main objective point at the start, activating the main objective, then leaving (with no defenses built). I've seen this a few times now - usually from players with power far higher than the area (such as 50s in a 9). This is rather clearly malicious as I can't see any way that a person would do this without malicious intent.

Similar, except for two part objectives and smaller missions like storm chests, starting the second part of the objective immediately. Ask if everyone is ready, there is even a quick chat message option for that. If people respond with OK or Ready?, they are probably ready, but it gives people time to go over. It doesn't hurt to first mark the storm chest with "loot" or "party zone" and then let everyone know, then do some nearby objectives to give people time to head over. Sure, you might have to share the loot, but being selfish is more of a PvP mentality, PvE is about working together with other players.

Spamming the difficulty up without warning does not help your team. I've nearly died from this happening (We nearly failed the main objective after since I had to spam my skills to stay alive between each attempt and thus all my skills were on CD when we started, putting the first wave behind and it just got worse as our defenses fell apart). Instead, look at the map. See an ally surrounded by red? They are probably either in combat or trying to get away or haven't noticed. If you start spamming, you will do damage to them and potentially kill them. Instead, give a warning (even if you don't check the map first) that you intend to start hitting the difficulty ups and to get out of combat. Even on the ps4, this does not take very long to do. Simple warning and you won't get players annoyed and considering revenge. (And yes, I've seen players destroy the base themselves because they wanted revenge).

Similar to what I mentioned before about rushing objectives, except for two part objectives and smaller missions like storm chests, starting the second part of the objective immediately.
    Instead, unless you absolutely know that you can solo the objective as is, ask if everyone is ready, there is even a quick chat message option for that. If people respond with OK or Ready?, they are probably ready, but it gives people time to go over.
    Also, it doesn't hurt to first mark the storm chest with "loot" or "party zone" and then let everyone know, then do some nearby objectives to give people time to head over. Sure, you might have to share the loot, but being selfish is more of a PvP mentality, PvE is about working together with other players.

If you see someone fighting with a pickaxe and you don't like it, hand them a weapon. It could be that they've had a lot of trouble (A streak of joining malicious players as an example since they tend to cause players to consume resources with no gains (especially since there is no option to not party with someone)) or made a mistake and have no weapon that is better than their pickaxe, or are just that unlucky that their pickaxe is their best weapon.
    A quick: "Hey, do you need ammo" or "Hey, here is the weapon that I was using, use this instead of your pickaxe" helps a lot more than "OMG, WHY ARE YOU USING A PICKAXE YOU CRAZY!?"
    That said, some players like myself play an Outlander, we get a buff if we hit with a pickaxe periodically such as movement speed or damage resistance (that and pickaxes have an surprisingly high aoe impact value with their heavy). On the other hand, for Outlander players that do use the pickaxe for the buff or for an emergency knockdown, remember that your pickaxe (as does your rush) does a lot of damage to structures relative to other weapons, so know your damage radius/range or you'll do more damage than the enemies would have.

Don't have everyone go after the miniboss if you are having trouble killing it. They leave a wake of destruction and can easily lead a large group of enemies to the objective, this means that someone should be repairing the damage and defending against the husks that will follow through the damage.

Also, slightly off topic, but make use of your class. Outlanders have high resource gains timewise and many have good vertical movement. Constructors have low building costs and generally high build and/or repair speeds. This means that an Outlander could hand materials to a Constructor for faster and cheaper repairs/base construction. Ninjas have high vertical mobility, making them very good at gathering bluglo and good for getting to places without stairs. Soldiers have strong firepower.
    This means that Ninjas and Outlanders tend to have very strong roaming power, making them very suitable for defending a large amount of space.
    Outlanders also have the ability to summon units that take up space. This means you can block a smasher or a sploder or flinger or even blaster. In addition, Outlanders have the ability to knock most of these units back/down with relative ease, cancelling their special attacks (sploders will drop their canister, which can be used as an environmental weapon if not lit).

TL;DR
    Basically, use common sense and courtesy towards your fellow players as it seems both are rather lacking.
    Last edited by SinのAria; 05-11-2018, 04:44 PM.

Ahhh, yes... The behaviors of players who played Battle Royale first, then came to STW mode. Gotta un-learn all those "just stick a wall in front of it" tendencies -- they're wrong here. ;)

Simple tip: You're building a MAZE OF DEATH, not a "giant wall." The traps only work if the husks CAN get through the maze's path.

Comment

Originally posted by Pyr0sa View Post
      Ahhh, yes... The behaviors of players who played Battle Royale first, then came to STW mode. Gotta un-learn all those "just stick a wall in front of it" tendencies -- they're wrong here. ;)
      I had to re-learn building for StW, lol.
      Funny thing is now that I'm much better at the PvE I see myself using PvP build more to escape sticky situations with my skills on cooldown and husks swarming or ranged husks unloading on me. Works surprisingly well and is quite fun.
      A reason I try to leave a good margin in build limit before starting.

Comment

Similar to what I mentioned before about rushing objectives, except for two part objectives and smaller missions like storm chests, starting the second part of the objective immediately.
        Instead, unless you absolutely know that you can solo the objective as is, ask if everyone is ready, there is even a quick chat message option for that. If people respond with OK or Ready?, they are probably ready, but it gives people time to go over.
        Also, it doesn't hurt to first mark the storm chest with "loot" or "party zone" and then let everyone know, then do some nearby objectives to give people time to head over. Sure, you might have to share the loot, but being selfish is more of a PvP mentality, PvE is about working together with other players.

If you see someone fighting with a pickaxe and you don't like it, hand them a weapon. It could be that they've had a lot of trouble (A streak of joining malicious players as an example since they tend to cause players to consume resources with no gains (especially since there is no option to not party with someone)) or made a mistake and have no weapon that is better than their pickaxe, or are just that unlucky that their pickaxe is their best weapon.
        A quick: "Hey, do you need ammo" or "Hey, here is the weapon that I was using, use this instead of your pickaxe" helps a lot more than "OMG, WHY ARE YOU USING A PICKAXE YOU CRAZY!?"
        That said, some players like myself play an Outlander, we get a buff if we hit with a pickaxe periodically such as movement speed or damage resistance (that and pickaxes have an surprisingly high aoe impact value with their heavy). On the other hand, for Outlander players that do use the pickaxe for the buff or for an emergency knockdown, remember that your pickaxe (as does your rush) does a lot of damage to structures relative to other weapons, so know your damage radius/range or you'll do more damage than the enemies would have.

Don't have everyone go after the miniboss if you are having trouble killing it. They leave a wake of destruction and can easily lead a large group of enemies to the objective, this means that someone should be repairing the damage and defending against the husks that will follow through the damage.

Also, do everyone a favor and let everyone know what missions you are looking for. If you need chests, let people know so that they can let you open them (you can be nice and give them the loot you gained if so), but this will allow for players to do things like leave a bluglo gathering mission intact instead of doing the run and burn method that has been rather common, especially if you let people know early on.
        As an addition to that, if you are expecting players to join in, you could choose to avoid doing certain missions early, such as relay towers or medbots as there are often only one per map and sometimes late joining players need those missions. This helps them progress faster, which means that they could potentially help you out in later missions.

Also, slightly off topic but two tips:
        1) make use of your class. Outlanders have high resource gains timewise and many have good vertical movement. Constructors have low building costs and generally high build and/or repair speeds. This means that an Outlander could hand materials to a Constructor for faster and cheaper repairs/base construction. Ninjas have high vertical mobility, making them very good at gathering bluglo and good for getting to places without stairs. Soldiers have strong firepower.
        This means that Ninjas and Outlanders tend to have very strong roaming power, making them very suitable for defending a large amount of space.
        Outlanders also have the ability to summon units that take up space. This means you can block a smasher or a sploder or flinger or even blaster. In addition, Outlanders have the ability to knock most of these units back/down with relative ease, cancelling their special attacks (sploders will drop their canister, which can be used as an environmental weapon if not lit).

2) Remember that wood has the fastest build time and upgrade time. This makes wood good for an emergency situation where you don't have much time between waves if you aren't a constructor or have high build/repair speed. While metal will survive many attacks that wood won't, sometimes you are just making walls to slow down the enemy.
        Last edited by SinのAria; 05-11-2018, 10:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X