The_Urgist's New Player Guide & Recommendations

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Author membership
  • Show
Clear All

• The_Urgist's New Player Guide & Recommendations

Click image for larger version  Name:	NewPlayerGuidenRecommend.jpg Views:	1 Size:	142.0 KB ID:	63895

Contents:
    • Preamble
    • Things to Note
    • Getting Started
    • Explore and Gather
    • Mini Quests
    • Reading Your Map
    • And Radar
    • Managing your V-Bucks
    • Rescuing Survivors, and Putting them to Work
    • Building
    • Trapping Basics
    • Managing your Schematics and People (The Armory)

Preamble:
    When I first joined Fortnite back in Online Test 6 I had no idea of the amount of systems I would have to learn and master to become proficient at this game. We were learning blind back then, under NDA meant there was No online information except what we put on the forums or learnt ourselves. So I spent a very large portion of my early game experiences experimenting with different styles, base designs, combat methods, trap combinations.. So now I can share many of the things I learned that probably helped me the most, or the things I realised too late that would have helped me had I known.
    I apologise for the slightly odd order of topics, a quirk of the forums forced me to do it this way. I also apologise for my antiquated graphics card feeble attempts to do Fortnites true graphics justice.

Thing to Note:
    Stonewood (The first zone) is essentially a giant training zone, firstly through the tutorial missions, then from the fact the difficulty is far lower than you might expect considering what you will eventually face. If you think the game is too easy then it's 100% certain you haven't completed the 2nd zone yet. That is where things start to get truly scary. From there it goes all the way up past ridiculously scary to seeing if you can actually finish a mission without dying at least once or needing new underwear. And quite possibly a combination of the two.

Getting Started:
    Doing the tutorial mission(s) will give you a reasonable start in the game. It will teach enough for you to succeed (At least for long enough to learn more), but not how to excel or be efficient. I can't actually remember everything it covered so I will go over the most common systems and concepts.

Explore, Loot & Gather!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Complete_Guide_Gameplay_Intro_6.jpg Views:	1 Size:	61.9 KB ID:	63896
    Looting and gathering is a core mechanic within the game. Until you build up some stockpiles I'd suggest to spend a goodly amount of time just exploring and collecting as much stuff as you can lay your hands on. You will be using all of it to build and craft your way to success.

You can destroy almost anything within the world and gather materials, just remember to loot before you gather ^^ Once you complete a few missions & unlocked the skill you'll be able to speed up gathering by hitting the blue weak spots on objects you are harvesting to strike it for double damage. Everything gives Wood, stone or metal, as well as a small quantity of the associated crafting material. As you spend time gathering and looting you'll learn what to find where; Eg: Cars give metal, and potentially Nuts n bolts, batteries or mechanical parts, red toolboxes tend to be crafting materials and sometimes even a rare component.

If you look at most objects and they look neat and ordered chances are it is lootable. If it is messy and looks like someone has looted it they probably have.

There are also 4 tiers for several of the materials and you tend to find them primarily in their appropriate zones; You'd find much more Rusty mechanical parts in Stonewood, but in Plankerton you'd find more Simple mech parts. (See Managing Your Schematics and People (The Armory))

Mini Quests:
    There are many mini quests around each mission map. They are great to complete as the rewards are quite handy, building & crafting materials, old weapons, even rare components and bluglo. Some are simple and just need you to kill some husks or rescue a survivor, others involve more effort, like defending a side objective, building a radar or searching for survivors belongings.

Reading Your Map:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	MAP.jpg Views:	1 Size:	59.9 KB ID:	63897
    Outlander fragments can be used by Outlanders for offense and to supply the team with materials. If there is an Outlander on the team be a good chap and activate fragments you find would you? ^

And Radar:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Radar.jpg Views:	1 Size:	8.7 KB ID:	63898
    The main thing to note on the radar that wasn't covered in the Map above is the white mark to the North (In this case). This is where the husks will be spawning. Go over there and you will see vortexes on the ground. This is very handy so you can gauge where the husks will be walking on their way to your objective and makes it far easier to be efficient in your material usage.
    Radar is also incredibly handy in battle. You can be scoped in aiming at enemies and still be aware of husks getting too close. Or sneaking around your defenses.

Managing Your V-Bucks:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Llamavbucks.jpg Views:	1 Size:	122.3 KB ID:	64919
    While you get a lot of free v-bucks from your early quest chains, defenses and achievements bear in mind that you'll eventually have to start putting in more effort to earn them and the amount won't be quite as generous. Except the landmark daily rewards, which can be Very generous.

For this reason I strongly suggest using your v-bucks wisely. Don't be silly like me and splurge everything you get instantly on upgrade llamas. Yes, you will get better value in terms of the amount of stuff you get vs how much you spent, BUT it will be FULL RNG. If you don't care what you get, then by all means, Smash away Sir. However, if you'd like to get your hands on specific things sooner it's far more efficient to make use of the Super Speciality llamas.

It also depends on how thrifty you feel; If you want to Totally Min-max your chances and timescale to get something specific you could refrain from upgrade llamas totally and depends on mini llamas to get you enough starter items to keep going, then you'd have to wait (Sometimes a couple of weeks, sometimes two days in a row. Full RNG again ^) You'd be sure to have enough v-bucks ready for when your chosen Super llama(s) trot by.

For the average player I'd say treat yourself to at least enough upgrade llamas for one to upgrade, see how you feel from there.

There are multiple types of llamas:
    Llama Type V-Bucks Cost Loot Category Llama Quality Chances to upgrade*
    Upgrade 100 Everything! Anything! Approx 1 in 20 go Gold, 1-2 in 10 go Silver
    Possible to have 0 of 10 upgrade, OR
    have 2 Golds 2 Silvers (Extremely lucky)
    Upg llamas have a higher chance to upgrade than other basic llamas
    Speciality 350 Single Category Anything! Not entirely sure, I think slightly less than upgrade llamas. I never opened a large enough amount of these to get a good feel for it.
    Troll Stash 500 Everything! Gold Automatic upgrade to Gold, Minimum 8 items
    Troll Truck 1500 Everything! Gold Automatic upgrade to Gold, Minimum 20 items
    Super Speciality 1500 Single Category Gold Automatic upgrade to Gold
    Event Varied Event items + Other Random loot N/A Don't upgrade but loot is far superior. Well worth particpating to get some
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Loot Category Possible Items
    People Heroes, Survivors, Defenders
    Weapons Ranged, Melee
    Ranged Ranged
    Melee Melee
    It's a Trap! Traps
    Hero Heroes
    Survivor Survivors
    *Note: These chances are high approximations made by my own experiences opening llamas, and recently loot chance testing threads. For a more accurate picture on llama upgrade percentages I recommend searching the forums for an up to date thread about it.

All llamas have a chance to upgrade, when the loot is chosen that has a chance to upgrade too (Turning an Epic drop into a Legendary for example), the perks on items can upgrade (They have rarities) AND you can even have the quantity of cards upgrade. I think the most cards I ever got from a single llama (Upgrade) was around 40-50. I had some smaller 30 odd jackpot llamas too.

Rescuing Survivors, and Putting them to Work:
    As you explore the world you will find people in need of assistance. Sometimes it's as simple as giving them a teleport beacon, other times you will have to fight for their survival, or safely collect their belongings, either way it's worth doing. You get a direct reward and they will join your pool of volunteers that you can then send out on expeditions to collect materials for you while you are away. It takes time, but it a great boost to start your daily missions with a nice pile of building and/or crafting mats.

The other survivors you will be working with come from mission rewards and/or llamas. These guys are what gives you a Lot of your power and statistics. (See Getting Stronger)
    Last edited by The_Urgist; 09-27-2017, 11:36 AM.

Building:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	RadarTower.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	64914
    Once you encounter a Radar station you can learn a lot of the structure shapes by following the blueprint. Each blueprint highlight has a grid on it (top right) showing you how to duplicate that piece. Once you know what shapes are available you can start getting fancy slotting them together in creative ways to build your Fortress of Glory.

Traps have a shape as well, and as such will only fit on walls which are the right shape(s) to support them. Eg: Wall spike traps are a single low line; they will fit on all walls that have those 3 squares available. This allows you possibilities like putting light traps around windows so you can still shoot out, or low walls that still have traps on them.

Some particularly useful things for a Builder to know are if you edit a structure before placing it, it will remember it so you can place multiple, and if you right-click while in edit mode you'll reset the blueprint to it's default; ie: full wall, full floor etc. Once you get the common movement patterns practiced you can make fancy buildings surprisingly fast. I will be doing a Construction focused Guide next, keep an eye open

Trapping Basics:

Name:	Complete_Guide_Traps_Floor_Traps.jpg
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	64913
    Traps will eventually become the bread and butter of your success. They save you ammo, time and damage taken. Using them effectively means you'll have more left over to use to buff out your Outpost. Each traps has it's shape as mentioned above, they also have different effects, trigger areas and target zones. Dart traps for example have a 3 block range, trigger area and needs a full wall. Electric dynamo traps however only need the low 3 parts of a wall and have HALF of a blocks attack and trigger zone. Ceiling electric fields have a 3x3 target zone.

To maximize your trapping efficiency find (Or make!) a place that forces the husks into a 1-3 wide funnel, be sure to check there are no random stairs or other routes that lets the husks easily bypass your trapped barricade. Slather that puppy up with traps and you're set. There's a whole herd of trapping styles to choose from, but I won't go into that in detail here, will leave that for another 'Mini' Guide.

All you need to do then is babysit the funnel. These trap zones are glorious but they are weak to Propane husks, and lobber bombardment, and occasionally a wave of enemies has just enough oomph for a few (Usually husky husks) to sneak past and put you on cleanup duty. And of course there's always the odd Smasher that has to be dissuaded from hitting your nice clean, undented walls.

Managing your Schematics and People (The Armory):
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Armory.jpg Views:	1 Size:	207.1 KB ID:	63907
    There are multiple rarities for cards which affect their power and available upgrade options. For weapons and traps, the more rare, the more perks are available and the more durable the resulting weapon/trap will be. For heroes and defenders, the more abilities & skills will be available. Survivors are the simplest as leveling them 'only' provides a boost to your Core Stats (The boost is pretty significant ^).

Upgrading the weapon or trap improves its base stats, and every 5 times will unlock another perk; The maximum amount of perks is 5 on Legendaries. Perks have a rarity value as well so it's definately worth examining your schematics very closely before Collecting or Recycling anything. Don't assume just because it isn't Legendary that it won't be a Destroyer of Husks.

Upgrading an item adds a level to it, Evolving adds 10 to the maximum. When evolving items it requires the relevant xp plus some upgrade resources (Manuals, Drops of Rain, Lightning in a Bottle and Eye of the Storm).

If you decide to Recycle that item later you get something like 90% of the xp back, but none of the upgrade resource. Bear this in mind when upgrading past 10. If the item is less than Epic (Purple) I suggest thinking very hard about if you *really* want that upgraded as you won't have the full amount of perks/abilities.

It is important to remember when you get to Evolving your weaponry to the next tier that it will require the more advanced crafting materials to craft. Don't upgrade your best gun to the next tier if you can't yet afford to make or maintain it.

You can also add cards to your Collection Book for rewards, Cards you collect are PERMANENTLY collected, you can replace them with better cards for more collection points, but you can't Extract them.

You can Favourite cards to prevent you being able to Collect or Recycle them and make them easier to spot amongst your less used cards. Inspect the card you want to protect and click Toggle Favourite.

Transformations are a way to convert unwanted cards into rerolls for other items, or to in effect convert excess lower rarity items to a higher rarity. You 'pay' in up to 5 items to increase the points total to qualify for each possible rarity. If you fill the bar you will get the maximum rarity available on that transform.

You can earn permanent transforms from some quests (I think!), your skill & research trees. There are also single use transforms that tend to be more specific in the item type you will recieve. There is a slight chance for Any mission to give a Random single use transform key.

The Resources tab is handy to see how much of each xp and other upgrade resources you have.

Getting Stronger:
    There are 5 main things that contribute to your Base Stats and damage output:

Spending Skill Points:

Name:	SkillTree1.jpg
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	64912
    This increases your power in many varied ways; Direct boosts to yours stats (Usually +5), access to new skills and gadgets, heroes and most importantly survivor and Lead survivor slots.
    There is a Central 'Upgrade' branch to the tree, as well as 4 branches that deal with each class and associated skillsets; The Outlanders branch for example gets access to Supply drop gadget, Explorer and Think Tank survivor slots, as well as harvesting and looting related skills.
    At the top of each branch is the node which lets you upgrade that class to the next tier. You have to spend a certain amount of skill points to access more advanced skills so you'll find that you have to develop things more evenly.

Which is actually good; you can focus on the things you're interested in first, but still have to upgrade enough of your other core skills to not nerf yourself accidentally. Eg: I went **FULL** builder in OT7 and started having issues in early Canny unless I was with a team. I could build amazingly, but my fighting skills were just pathetic.

Researching:
    Similar to Skill points but time-based. I highly recommend that the moment you are able to unlock the next tier of research do so: There is a node in your Core upgrades on the Skill tree to boost generation speed and unlocking a new research tier increases research points storage and generation limit. Once you have that you can continue to upgrade the lower tier, but at the faster rate.

Survivor Power:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	SurvivorsSquad1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	75.1 KB ID:	63908
    This is the largest contributor to your overall power. Very early game you can actually get more power from an upgraded hero and weapon but that changes the instant you start unlocking survivor slots and get some survivors slotted and upgraded.

Putting your survivors into their Squad slots will improve your base stats. There are 8 Squads, 2 per primary stat; slotting survivors in each squad will boost their relevant stat set. Lead survivors should be slotted into their appropriate squad, you gain more power when they work in their chosen field. Plus who'd trust a Doctor that keeps sharpening his Katana and talking about the best ways to stab things.

Each survivor has a personality that should be matched to their Lead survivors personality for best effect. You can also match survivors perk sets together to get additional boosts. Eg: 3 x Melee damage boost will yield a 5% increase in base melee damage.

When leveling up survivors to gain more stats I recommend concentrating on your Leads first, as they generate the most Power per xp spent.

Hero Power:
    Leveling and Evolving your hero not only gives you increased base Stats but also unlocks their Skills and abilities. Similarly to schematics a better rarity will have more abilities and skills, for this reason I'd suggest to only upgrade Epic heroes beyond 10 unless you only want that hero upgraded to gain access to his Hero Squad bonus.

Hero Squad Bonus: Yes there's another bonus you can get (When unlocked) by slotting others heroes into the Support and Tactical slots. Some of these bonuses are really powerful for your characters playstyle, it's just a case of finding good combinations and actually having the associated heroes to use.
    For example on my Ninja I have a critical hit sword, so I slotted the melee critical damage boost support and the increased movement speed after melee kills as tactical. On my Soldier I love using the Thunderbolt (Double barrel shotgun), so I went with faster reloading support and increased movement after using shockwave.

Weapon Power:
    The simplest and most obvious system here; Better weapons means better damage. There are a few tiny points to make though; Your maximum weapon level will limit the effectiveness of your upgraded weapons, this is boosted by 10 in the first Node of a new skill tree. You start with 10. On the reverse note there is a maximum effective weapon level cap on each zone to prevent highly upgraded weapons being ridiculously overpowered in lower zones.

Teaming with Others:
    You also get a boost from shared stats. Each person that joins contributes some bonus stats to everyone in the team. You Literally get stronger by teaming up with other heroes.

If I have left out any glaringly obvious things that you think should be communicated to new players, or things you wished you'd known earlier that I haven't mentioned, please do not hesistate to post so I can add them too. Ty!
    Last edited by The_Urgist; 09-14-2017, 12:17 AM.

Comment

These are all extremely important things that new players could take advantage of. I think this will provide new Fortnite players with some great insight and allow them to get started off on the right foot. We really appreciate you taking the time to type this up and share with everyone!

Comment

Hehe thanks. 12 hours worth of thinking, typing, taking breaks to chat in discord and doing some matches to get better screenshots, then news of the update started dribbling into Discord and when the update completed I stopped again to take part in the first BR match :D I almost got into the Top 50 but fell for a sucker trap "Here's a nice gun in the open" *BANG* Ah fun times ^^

Comment

Originally posted by The_Urgist View Post
          Hehe thanks. 12 hours worth of thinking, typing, taking breaks to chat in discord and doing some matches to get better screenshots, then news of the update started dribbling into Discord and when the update completed I stopped again to take part in the first BR match :D I almost got into the Top 50 but fell for a sucker trap "Here's a nice gun in the open" *BANG* Ah fun times ^^
          Keep trying! I'm sure you'll get a win in Battle Royale soon enough.

Comment

Thanks for the explanation!

What are the max weapon lvls in each area? I'm in Plankerton right now and my weapon is at lvl20. I can barely resist the urge of evolving (even though I don't have a steady supply of Malachite yet), so I need another reason to stay at lvl20..

Comment

You're at the max for plankton; Starts at 10 in Stonewood, and when you unlocked the Plankerton tree it went to 20. It will hit 30 when you unlock the Canny tree.

I evolved in Plankerton, but I also knew I had a whole herd of L20 weapons to use in the meantime

Comment

Have

The_Urgist: Have you considered doing a Hero guide for new players? I see a lot of questions regarding what Hero is "good." I know that is a very subjective thing but I also know that giving a bit of detailed information on the various Heroes may help new players know what they would like to keep an eye out for.

Just a thought.

~ Mal
                Technology is best when it brings people together. - Matt Mullenweg

Comment

I have lots of Guides I'd like to do, am just wary of spending much time typing em up after losing my 'Complete' guide to fortnite to the first forum wipe. While I appreciate they wanted up to date info available I still could've re-used a large portion of it and saved myself *hours and hours* of typing

Comment

As a complete newb who just started., Thanks for giving me a heads up of what I can expect

Comment

Originally posted by The_Urgist View Post
                      Click image for larger version Name:	NewPlayerGuidenRecommend.jpg Views:	1 Size:	142.0 KB ID:	63895

Contents:
                      • Preamble
                      • Things to Note
                      • Getting Started
                      • Explore and Gather
                      • Mini Quests
                      • Reading Your Map
                      • And Radar
                      • Managing your V-Bucks
                      • Rescuing Survivors, and Putting them to Work
                      • Building
                      • Trapping Basics
                      • Managing your Schematics and People (The Armory)

Preamble:
                      When I first joined Fortnite back in Online Test 6 I had no idea of the amount of systems I would have to learn and master to become proficient at this game. We were learning blind back then, under NDA meant there was No online information except what we put on the forums or learnt ourselves. So I spent a very large portion of my early game experiences experimenting with different styles, base designs, combat methods, trap combinations.. So now I can share many of the things I learned that probably helped me the most, or the things I realised too late that would have helped me had I known.
                      I apologise for the slightly odd order of topics, a quirk of the forums forced me to do it this way. I also apologise for my antiquated graphics card feeble attempts to do Fortnites true graphics justice.

Thing to Note:
                      Stonewood (The first zone) is essentially a giant training zone, firstly through the tutorial missions, then from the fact the difficulty is far lower than you might expect considering what you will eventually face. If you think the game is too easy then it's 100% certain you haven't completed the 2nd zone yet. That is where things start to get truly scary. From there it goes all the way up past ridiculously scary to seeing if you can actually finish a mission without dying at least once or needing new underwear. And quite possibly a combination of the two.

Getting Started:
                      Doing the tutorial mission(s) will give you a reasonable start in the game. It will teach enough for you to succeed (At least for long enough to learn more), but not how to excel or be efficient. I can't actually remember everything it covered so I will go over the most common systems and concepts.

Explore, Loot & Gather!
                      Click image for larger version Name:	Complete_Guide_Gameplay_Intro_6.jpg Views:	1 Size:	61.9 KB ID:	63896
                      Looting and gathering is a core mechanic within the game. Until you build up some stockpiles I'd suggest to spend a goodly amount of time just exploring and collecting as much stuff as you can lay your hands on. You will be using all of it to build and craft your way to success.

You can destroy almost anything within the world and gather materials, just remember to loot before you gather ^^ Once you complete a few missions & unlocked the skill you'll be able to speed up gathering by hitting the blue weak spots on objects you are harvesting to strike it for double damage. Everything gives Wood, stone or metal, as well as a small quantity of the associated crafting material. As you spend time gathering and looting you'll learn what to find where; Eg: Cars give metal, and potentially Nuts n bolts, batteries or mechanical parts, red toolboxes tend to be crafting materials and sometimes even a rare component.

If you look at most objects and they look neat and ordered chances are it is lootable. If it is messy and looks like someone has looted it they probably have.

There are also 4 tiers for several of the materials and you tend to find them primarily in their appropriate zones; You'd find much more Rusty mechanical parts in Stonewood, but in Plankerton you'd find more Simple mech parts. (See Managing Your Schematics and People (The Armory))

Mini Quests:
                      There are many mini quests around each mission map. They are great to complete as the rewards are quite handy, building & crafting materials, old weapons, even rare components and bluglo. Some are simple and just need you to kill some husks or rescue a survivor, others involve more effort, like defending a side objective, building a radar or searching for survivors belongings.

Reading Your Map:
                      Click image for larger version Name:	MAP.jpg Views:	1 Size:	59.9 KB ID:	63897
                      Outlander fragments can be used by Outlanders for offense and to supply the team with materials. If there is an Outlander on the team be a good chap and activate fragments you find would you? ^

And Radar:
                      Click image for larger version Name:	Radar.jpg Views:	1 Size:	8.7 KB ID:	63898
                      The main thing to note on the radar that wasn't covered in the Map above is the white mark to the North (In this case). This is where the husks will be spawning. Go over there and you will see vortexes on the ground. This is very handy so you can gauge where the husks will be walking on their way to your objective and makes it far easier to be efficient in your material usage.
                      Radar is also incredibly handy in battle. You can be scoped in aiming at enemies and still be aware of husks getting too close. Or sneaking around your defenses.

Managing Your V-Bucks:
                      Click image for larger version Name:	Llamavbucks.jpg Views:	1 Size:	122.3 KB ID:	64919
                      While you get a lot of free v-bucks from your early quest chains, defenses and achievements bear in mind that you'll eventually have to start putting in more effort to earn them and the amount won't be quite as generous. Except the landmark daily rewards, which can be Very generous.

For this reason I strongly suggest using your v-bucks wisely. Don't be silly like me and splurge everything you get instantly on upgrade llamas. Yes, you will get better value in terms of the amount of stuff you get vs how much you spent, BUT it will be FULL RNG. If you don't care what you get, then by all means, Smash away Sir. However, if you'd like to get your hands on specific things sooner it's far more efficient to make use of the Super Speciality llamas.

It also depends on how thrifty you feel; If you want to Totally Min-max your chances and timescale to get something specific you could refrain from upgrade llamas totally and depends on mini llamas to get you enough starter items to keep going, then you'd have to wait (Sometimes a couple of weeks, sometimes two days in a row. Full RNG again ^) You'd be sure to have enough v-bucks ready for when your chosen Super llama(s) trot by.

For the average player I'd say treat yourself to at least enough upgrade llamas for one to upgrade, see how you feel from there.

There are multiple types of llamas:
                      Llama Type V-Bucks Cost Loot Category Llama Quality Chances to upgrade*
                      Upgrade 100 Everything! Anything! Approx 1 in 20 go Gold, 1-2 in 10 go Silver
                      Possible to have 0 of 10 upgrade, OR
                      have 2 Golds 2 Silvers (Extremely lucky)
                      Upg llamas have a higher chance to upgrade than other basic llamas
                      Speciality 350 Single Category Anything! Not entirely sure, I think slightly less than upgrade llamas. I never opened a large enough amount of these to get a good feel for it.
                      Troll Stash 500 Everything! Gold Automatic upgrade to Gold, Minimum 8 items
                      Troll Truck 1500 Everything! Gold Automatic upgrade to Gold, Minimum 20 items
                      Super Speciality 1500 Single Category Gold Automatic upgrade to Gold
                      Event Varied Event items + Other Random loot N/A Don't upgrade but loot is far superior. Well worth particpating to get some
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------
                      Loot Category Possible Items
                      People Heroes, Survivors, Defenders
                      Weapons Ranged, Melee
                      Ranged Ranged
                      Melee Melee
                      It's a Trap! Traps
                      Hero Heroes
                      Survivor Survivors
                      *Note: These chances are high approximations made by my own experiences opening llamas, and recently loot chance testing threads. For a more accurate picture on llama upgrade percentages I recommend searching the forums for an up to date thread about it.

All llamas have a chance to upgrade, when the loot is chosen that has a chance to upgrade too (Turning an Epic drop into a Legendary for example), the perks on items can upgrade (They have rarities) AND you can even have the quantity of cards upgrade. I think the most cards I ever got from a single llama (Upgrade) was around 40-50. I had some smaller 30 odd jackpot llamas too.

Rescuing Survivors, and Putting them to Work:
                      As you explore the world you will find people in need of assistance. Sometimes it's as simple as giving them a teleport beacon, other times you will have to fight for their survival, or safely collect their belongings, either way it's worth doing. You get a direct reward and they will join your pool of volunteers that you can then send out on expeditions to collect materials for you while you are away. It takes time, but it a great boost to start your daily missions with a nice pile of building and/or crafting mats.

The other survivors you will be working with come from mission rewards and/or llamas. These guys are what gives you a Lot of your power and statistics. (See Getting Stronger)
                      Trying to figure this forum out, this can be deleted

Comment

hmm? You mean it outdated already? Or not needed?

Comment

The_Urgist,

This is awesome thanks! I just started playing about a week ago, and luckily have had some great friends help me understand the systems and mechanics pretty well (boy are there a lot) but this was a wonderful, clean way to review everything and compare what I knew to see if I had the right idea or not. Loving this game and it's awesome to see such a great community behind it! I definitely plan on sticking around for some time to chop down some fire trucks and take out some husks!
                          PSNProfiles | Started playing Fortnite in December 2017.

Comment

Working...
                          X