Helpful Tips For New Players

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Author membership
  • Show
Clear All

• Helpful Tips For New Players

Okay folks- the idea of this forum is players helping players- so let's put together a list of useful tidbits for all the people who've recently been gifted a standard edition or preordered the game.
    • Adding Bluglo to an ATLAS, Lars' van, or other device without activating it will give you an idea of where the Storm is going to manifest husks. This means that it's very useful to add Bluglo before you start to build fortifications, although subsequent waves may come from a different direction.
    • Learn what all the searchable props look like on the maps; sometimes you'll find them stacked in a pile or you might find two, three, four, or more on metal shelving. You can check them all, not just one.
    • Always look behind things, particularly rocks in corners. There's often a tin can full of nuts & bolts, a tin of bacon, or a box of ammo hiding back there. It's worth looking even if you don't need stone.
    • It's worthwhile to keep a few low-level schematics around for when you need a weapon or trap but your crafting materials are scarce. Higher rarity items require equally rare parts, so if you're missing just one more thing, you might be able to get by with a lower rarity version. Don't forget to level up the schematics you intend to keep while you're at it!
    • If you're playing with a Constructor (or you are a Constructor) be sure to leave a good spot for setting up the BASE, so that it reinforces the parts of your fortifications that you are most dependent on.
    • It can be a good idea to leave your slow-resetting and low-durability traps further back in your defenses, while letting your damage-over time and high durability traps bear the brunt of the attack. This way the DoTs get to do their full allotment of damage, and you aren't wasting your more fragile traps on husks that can easily be destroyed.
    • Traps that fling enemies away can be very useful for herding them together or just sending them back to the beginning of your maze-o-death, allowing you to get the most out of your automated killing machines. Note that pairing a trap that throws the enemy back to the start with one that'll inflict damage over time (such as a ceiling gas trap) can be very effective. Especially for those DoTs that aren't big on durability (this lets you put them further back in your defenses, you see).
    • If you notice Bluglo sitting in an easily accessible area with props that form something of a square around it, be prepared for a Troll. Legit Bluglo finds tend to be in hard to reach areas or up close to props, where the Troll minigame doesn't have enough space.
    • Try to mix up the ammo used by your equipped weapons. This way if you run out of bullets for your assault rifle, you don't also run out of bullets for your pistol. Generally try to have something for long, mid, and short range/melee, too. Damage is reduced if you fire at an enemy that's too far away for your current weapon, and you'll find it's easier to engage certain enemies at certain ranges.
    • Reload before switching weapons if you can, and reload everything when you get a break in the action. Finding out you need to put shells in your shotgun before it'll put shells in those husks is right up there with sand in your bathing suit.
    • Keep in mind that husks will try to find the easiest way to their target- not necessarily the shortest way. And that target can be you- so where you stand can affect how husks approach your defenses. Make sure you don't lead them past the traps by drawing them towards yourself.
    • On a similar note, healing pads are great to have, but put a trap or three around them. Heroes who need to use the pad may be dragging husks along with them, so it's best to have a way to get rid of hangers-on before they eat up all that health you just recovered.
    • Smash gnomes. I have it on good authority that when you smash a garden gnome, you have a good chance to get rare crafting materials, like active power cells. You need those. You don't need gnomes. Smash gnomes.
    • There's often a few searchable props hidden underneath stairways or behind half-destroyed walls. It's always worth a look to find chests.
    • Ceilings are really useful to have, not only because you can put traps there. A layer (or two- you can put a pyramid on top of a floor piece) of construction above you can protect you from lobbed projectiles, leaping husks, and more.
    • The big husks with propane tanks? You can shoot the tank, which will light and then explode. This can be very useful for taking out a knot of husks, but it can also harm your fortifications. Aim wisely.
    • Keep in mind your personal play style when picking what schematics and bonuses you want. If you never use traps, a bonus to trap durability won't do you much good. Similarly, if you love sniping, that +20% headshot damage may be more useful than a +10% magazine size.
    • Try out everything, even if you don't think you'd like it. There's a tremendous number of weapons and traps in the game, and it's difficult to really get a feel for what they're like before using them. I wanted nothing to do with slow, heavy weapons until I found out just how effective a sledgehammer can be at knocking down or stunning opponents.

Thanks! Really appreciate this guide!

Comment

Awesome! Thank you friend.

Comment

Nice, tips I haven't found before.

Comment

Thanks for restarting this Stormcaller, kinda sucks that thread went poof, but here goes from memory what I posted there / can remember.

- Terms & Phrases common from Alpha testers
          • OD - Outpost Defense - Referring to your home base defense missions, also called Storm Shield Defense.
          • SW / PL / Canny / Twine - Short hand for the zones Stonewood, Plankerton, Canny Valley & Twine Peaks
          • SW OD2 or PL OD9 - Short hand for Stonewood Outpost Defense 2, or Plankerton Outpost Defense 9 - format goes [Zone] OD[Outpost Defense Level]. The region matters as much as the level to figure out difficulty. If you're new & join a Twine OD3 you're gonna get rekt.
          - You can knock husks into natural holes in the terrain or off the map using traps. This will kill them as long as they don't have a path up.
          - Can you destroy that floor? There might be something under it! A few areas on maps have hidden holes which sometimes have goodies.
          - Instead of stairs, use a triangle wall to get up to places you don't want husks getting to. They can go up stairs or slanted roofs but not triangle walls.
          - Survivors are extremely important, not only make sure you have them filled in, but properly matched up & levelled up as much as you can.
          - Favouriting a schematic/survivor/hero will prevent them from being listed as available to recycle. If you want to prevent accidental recycling - favourite that item!
          - If you have XP Boosts - don't forget to use them.
          - Retrieve the Data mission doesn't need a 2x2x2 wall, you can build a 1x1x1 and save the materials and add more space to defend if you look up or match the ! marker on the radar.
          - Flingers are weak to melee (and rocket launchers kinda :P thx for reminding me Hyung Lo)
          - You can shoot the skulls that Lobbers throw, and also the husks that Flingers throw.
          - Sploder's will throw their tanks at players, you can kite a thrown propane tank away from vulnerable structures & traps.
          - Bees, hate'em - pop their bee nests off their head with a few well placed headshots. ASAP!
          - Retrieve the Data Missions, you can shoot the balloon down early at 8 minutes left.
          - If you don't want pipes facing the outside on your metal walls, you can flip the wall around like this - https://clips.twitch.tv/LovelyGiftedSkirretDuDudu - (left door = pipes on inside, right door = pipes on outside, reset after to go back to normal wall)

There are some more i'll reply to / edit my post.

Shameless plug - if you have questions you can catch me on twitch at http://twitch.tv/pyrochemist13
          Last edited by PyroChemist; 07-31-2017, 05:47 AM.

Comment

WOW great advice in the main post and some really good tips from PyroChemist, ill make sure to use this information to the best of my abilities!

Comment

Some really good tips in here. One thing id like to add thats extremely important is dont go by what you read ln paper. Meaning try everything out and figure out how it actually works. The descriptions and stats dont always do things justice. Soooo many things in this game are situational. Take the time to learn what is effective in different situations. Also, rocket launchers are super fun!

Comment

Nice tips!

Comment

Thanks Stormcaller,

I cannot stress enough how important it is to give weapons, traps and heroes enough time in-game to make a good judgement. It takes about 3-5 matches at a minimum with varying elements of teams, husk spawn, etc to understand the merits and drawbacks of each. This game was intentionally designed for linear progression AND deviating progression. Sure you can run in a straight line and hoof it to Canny, but by then you'll want the flexibility of having mastered a couple different hero types.

Pyrochemist mentioned the importance of survivor squads. One of the quickest ways to upgrade your power level is to keep your survivor squads leveled and up-to-date.

Got a ninja in your squad? Save your ammo for the specials - flingers, lobbers, sploders, BEeeeeees! - and keep those bad boys from mobbing your ninja. As a ninja main, I've watched teammates unload thousands of rounds in a match when I could have meleed a wad of husks in seconds. Additionally, ninjas are awesomesauce for leading groups of husks into Stormcaller's aforementioned murder pits, murder rooms, murder walls...ya know...gobs of traps. Ninjas are fast and have a superjump that gets them out of trouble quickly. If you've got a ninja, drop a healing pad or two on the periphery of your fort :).

Be cognizant of everyone's dailies. If a soldier needs a 100 kills, make it happen. Communicate your own daily goals with your team as well. I want to help you get your daily fulfilled but can't if you don't tell me. :) We gotta clear the scourge together; people, and the only path to canny valley is through community and cooperation.

Have fun, level your survivors and protect your flank!

Comment

Good stuff. Haven't played the game or even been following it very long, just saw a few gameplay vids and decided to pre-order a few days ago. The tips are appreciated.

Comment

Thanks for all the tips really appreciate it. Now the more i read the more i cant wait to play even tho i can start tomorrow haha.

Comment

Does anyone know what timezone the release will be in? Wanna get the download going as soon as possible lol.

Comment

Really Appreciate all the tips being posted.

Comment

Great advice, much appreciated!

Comment

Don't disregard the Power of a sniper rifle or a player who snipes. (I normally don't snipe in games anymore, I did fortnite alpha because of how useful it can be to the team, when I first started playing I rushed to the assault rifle and didn't really consider the larger role other weapons play, ranged damage drop-off is really harsh in fortnite - over max range of the weapon the damage lowers after it hits its target for reference each square is 1000)

The Bullseye pieces targets in a line so it can be great for Tunnels, but if you have a 4 man team send someone to the roof to Spot specials (middle mouse button, it makes for everyone so you all know where the special is) and pop Propane > Lobbers > Bee's (pop head and ignore) - you may not get the most kill's but it can save your base. (pretty much ignore flingers)

A solider class, but any is fine is best to stack vulnerability before the husks get to your team (having a special with stacked vulnerability before they get to your team is a huge damage boost (45% at max rank)

Knockdown is amazing and works on specials, all weapons have an impact effect, if this is high enough it can daze or push enemies away from the direction you are firing (even off a ledge) Shotguns and a few pistols have the highest impact effect, those low magazine capacity weapons are actually very powerful being able delay a smasher is key to late game tactic's and not getting your objective taken.
                            Last edited by Demonsunder; 07-20-2017, 06:50 PM. Reason: Additional info

Comment

Working...
                            X