X

Helpful Tips For New Players

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Author membership
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Folks, here are a few more items I've noticed during my time in the 4 day head start:
    • Take a few minutes to read through the Commander Skill Tree. There is no way to respec, however there is no limit to the number of skill points you unlock, so you'll get it all eventually. In order to "Evolve" a Hero you need to unlock that branch of a tree, so you may want to invest in that area first which suits your hero of choice. I also highly recommend getting some of the "Harvester Tool" upgrades early as you smash everything in this game for materials.
    • Unlock your Squads (Commander Skill Tree and Research). As someone mentioned earlier, leveling your Survivors that slot into squads will increase your overall "Power Level" (The Lightning Bolt in the Top Left of your menu). Unlocking the additional slots in your Squads will make you stronger.
    • Spend your Research Points. There is a cap to the number of Research points you can have at any time. Make sure you're spending them before bed and going to work/school. You don't want to lose valuable points because you're already at cap. Only way to get these is in real time. Eventually in Commander Skills Tier 2-4 you unlock more Research Points.
    • Solo Players - Use your Defenders on tough missions. I have to say, the AI for the defenders is pretty solid. If you position the Defender Posts in a good position against the enemy waves they can provide a lot of valued support. I find myself on mid difficulty missions not even making traps, and just putting down two Defenders to fight with me.
    • Alert Missions - Occasionally you will see a little "i" pop up in your menu saying "New Mission Available". These missions offer 1 time loot bonuses and are only available for a limited time window. They vary from Schematics to additional XP. Keep an eye out so you don't miss out on anything
    • Don't be afraid to spend XP on what you have. I had been hording XP waiting for that elusive Epic or Legendary drop and therefore using under powered weapons, etc. The level for level power difference between rarities is negligible and the main difference comes in how far you can evolve. The game will return the majority of XP spend on a schematic when it's recycled. If you have a level 10 blue, then get the Epic (Purple) schematic. You can recycle your old blue and invest that XP immediately into the better version. I don't know the exact %, but it seemed to be about 75% of the XP returned on recycling.
    • Home base is persistent - If you find yourself having an excess of crafting materials, don't throw them away. Head to your Storm Shield and start building up that beautiful piece of architecture with some new traps and various other zombie deterrents.
    • Don't under estimate your Collection. Early on in the Commander tree you'll unlock the "Collection". You can donate unused Schematics to the Collection for Collection XP. Each rank in the Collection will offer rewards that are typically pretty useful. You can only donate what you can currently Recycle based on what level of "Recycling" has been unlocked in your skill tree.
    • Playing with friends makes EVERYONE stronger. Your F.O.R.T (Fortitude, Offence, Resistance, Tech) stats not only affect you, but a % will boost the stats of your teammates! I believe somewhere hidden in the menu it mentions the team F.O.R.T bonus.
    • You can't craft outside of missions or manage your "Inventory Bag". This is something EPIC has mentioned they eventually want to add to the Main Menu.
    Hope the new EA folks find a bit of this helpful! I'll add more if I come across new and useful things.

Comment

Turns out most, if not all, melee special attacks and abilities can be adjusted, already activated dragon slash and realize your going to miss a few husks? just turn you may find you'll get them, it may also save your life if your about to rush off the edge into the abyss

The "salvage the drone" group activities arent urgent things you need to drop everything and do, i constantly made the mistake of freaking out and activating it once it crashed from seeing all the husk spawners pop up thinking they attack immediately activated or not, aside from a few lonely husks, hordes wont show up until you activate it so go ahead and fortify it before starting, also wait till it does crash since it destroys everything around it.

Last edited by 12gunner; 08-03-2017, 01:03 AM.

Comment

Excellent post, thank you. I have just started with early access on the PS4. The controls for building, placing, editing, etc is not feeling very natural yet, but really enjoying the early stages already!

Comment

I've got some tips for players!
          • For those wanting Legendary schematics, save up for those Super Llamas! They cost 1000 VBs and come roughly once every 1-2 weeks but they guarantee 1 legendary or more, plus a ton of epic grade schematics. These are your best bang for you buck!
          • When you encounter trolls while picking up blue glo, don't waste your ammo. Take your pickaxe and swing away. The pick ensures that the troll will get stunned for 1 second, allowing two pickaxe swings per troll popping up. He'll die in 3-4 repetitions of this.
          • As on outlander, you might want to call out for an ally to help you "mine" the resource Llama. The Llama self-destructs after a certain amount of time regardless of its remaining hp. In order to get the most resources out of one, it usually requires at least two people mining the Llama (using weakpoints).
          • You can mark zombies by pressing the middle mouse button for everyone to see. That way your allies will be aware of their location and respond to them accordingly.
          • Watch how people build their bases! In my opinion, the best base is the base that makes everyone use the least amount of ammunition so funnel those zombies into a small corridor, over some traps, and AOE them with your abilities! The least ammo you use while fulfilling mission objectives, the better the base is. I understand you might think this is no fun but neither is running around finding more nuts n' bolts or having to craft another rare weapon!
          • Invite/join into people's Home Base Defences! Everyone who participates and finishes a Home Base Defence will get 2 -3 mini llamas as a reward. This will be your source of schematics when you want to save up your VBs. Plus, the host would thank you for making their lives easier.
          • Don't underestimate the power of survivors/F.O.R.T. mechanic. While you maybe hard pressed to find a good weapon and hero early on, don't neglect making a good F.O.R.T. composition. Each point increases their respective stat by 1%. It may not seem much but once you start getting more rare+ survivors and unlocking more survivor slots, it'll be common to have 100% weapon damage/ability damage/trap damage/health/ and resist boosts all due to your survivors!
          • Get the F.O.R.T. stat boosts in the skill trees once you finish claiming the important nodes! Every stat boost counts for reasons above

Those are all the tips I have for now!

Comment

not sure if it's been shared or not, but for the Artillery Strike, if you right click before you call it in, you can go from a group shot to a row shot.

Comment

Dude, thanks! This info is great!

Comment

More tips!
                • Your weapon and your available traps can alter your strategy significantly. There's times when you'll want to herd all the husks together, and there's times when you'll want to scatter them around so you don't get overwhelmed. Know what your traps do and what your weapons are capable of (for instance, wall dart traps fire a set number of darts) so that you know what you're going to get.
                • Try combining traps together in interesting ways. Traps that stun or slow enemies for a while are going to help you mitigate long reset times or allow you to hit enemies several times in succession.
                • Don't rely on any one trick too much- always have several options available. You never know what will get thrown at you (sometimes literally) so it's good to have alternatives in case you need a backup plan for dealing with a particular foe.
                • Sometimes you can place traps on preexisting walls and other structures, particularly in city maps. Be aware of your surroundings, not only in terms of what you need to build but also in terms of what's already there that you can use to your advantage.
                • The larger the object the more resources you'll get from it- at least when you're dealing with trees and rocks. A giant old tree will be more rewarding than a sapling in terms of twine, planks, and so on.
                • When breaking down a house, orient yourself perpendicularly to the walls. Weak points show up where you can see- so if you're only seeing the thickness of the wall, the weak points will be concentrated in a small area and easier to hit in quick succession.
                • Gravity works- sort of. A single tile can hold up a massive building, but structures won't levitate in midair. You can clear a building quickly or take down your impromptu walkway by eliminating anything connecting it to the ground. Just remember you only get resources for the parts you actually break.
                • The building grid can alter the health of a structure- a wall with a window isn't as strong as one without, for example. If you only need a door temporarily, consider rebuilding it into a solid wall once you're through- just make sure husks won't get a chance to interrupt the process. Also keep this in mind when planning your forts.
                • Sometimes the best advantage you can build for yourself is more time. Try using diagonal floors or a snaking path through one-high walls to make husks slow down. Not nearly so effective against Smashers, but still useful.
                • On a similar note, take into consideration what you and your teammates do in terms of abilities. Ceiling and floor traps arranged to eliminate husks drawn in by decoys, corridors set up to let Ninjas cut through a line of enemies and then double-jump out of danger, choke points for tossing grenades, setting up shock towers, or placing plasma generators- you can enhance the effectiveness of these abilities by planning for them.

Comment

how do you favorite schematics?

Comment

Originally posted by caosador View Post
                    how do you favorite schematics?
                    Favorites: V and F

Comment

Alternately, when you go into the Inspect/Upgrade screen, there's a 'Toggle Favorite' button. If you're in a mission, you can go to your inventory, inspect an item, and the 'favorite' button will be there too.

Comment

Valid tips! Thanks for posting. I would like to add: Hold reload (R) to craft bullets on the go.

Comment

Helpful tip for new and old players: STOP RUSHING THE FRACKING MISSIONS! It's the second time when I lose the mission because of people joining late but rushing the mission (defending the balloon / repair shelter) while the others are gone gathering, saving survivors, destroying monsters camps. And, as a bonus tip, READ THE MESSAGES! I didn't take my time to ask nicely not to start the mission because we had 3 days to play it. Don't ruin the game for everybody else.
                          Last edited by Radoo; 07-30-2017, 04:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Radoo View Post
                            Helpful tip for new and old players: STOP RUSHING THE FRACKING MISSIONS! It's the second time when I lose the mission because of people joining late but rushing the mission (defending the balloon / repair shelter) while the others are gone gathering, saving survivors, destroying monsters camps. And, as a bonus tip, READ THE MESSAGES! I didn't take my time to ask nicely not to start the mission because we had 3 days to play it. Don't ruin the game for everybody else.
                            They really need to get some better visible team orders/infos in the game, there is no audio notification for messages and unless you constantly check the chat you will miss stuff all the time. We also need some voting for activation of events. At some late point i hope we can get some real up/donwvoting of players so the MM will prefer/ignore them for MM, so we can filter out the griefers.

Comment

I fond this helpful I read while my game loaded so I can start adventure

Comment

I have a few things that I've noticed during my time in the storm.
                                • Short on resources or crafting mats? Head to a low-level area and have at it. I highly recommend using an Outlander since they have a chance to get extra loot (i.e. more materials in less time), with special mention to the Pathfinder and Recon Scout variations since they start with In the Zone (+24% pickaxe damage after 5 consecutive hits, which means faster gathering) and can get Keen Eyes (valuable chests and containers are revealed while In the Zone) at relatively low levels. Note that the Recon Scout gets Keen Eyes at level 5, whereas the Pathfinder gets it at level 8.
                                • Related to the above, if you're done gathering, simply leave the mission. You'll lose your mission progress, of course (if you were questing), but whatever mats you've found in the area are yours to keep.
                                • Crafting mats (duct tape, resin, planks, etc) will stack up to 99 then loop back around to 1 and start the count anew. In doing so, this creates a separate item. Keep that in mind while gathering so you're not hurting for backpack space.
                                • Get acquainted with a hero/weapon/design/etc before throwing it in the Collection. Jumping the gun and trying to get those sweet, sweet llamas sooner rather than later might have you miss out on what may be an awesome item, or a hero that better meshes with your playstyle.
                                That's all that immediately comes to mind that wasn't already brought up. Good luck, and may the Force be with you!

Comment

Working...
                                X