It's official ... randomised lootboxes is gambling

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Author membership
  • Show
Clear All

• It's official ... randomised lootboxes is gambling

Belgium has just ruled that randomised lootboxes in console and computer games is gambling. Hawaii is already walking the same path ... the rest of the US will follow. Thanks to the royal screw-up of BattleFront 2 by EA, Fortnite and Epic will have to face the fact that their microtransaction system may well be ruled illegal.

http://www.pcgamer.com/belgium-says-...ned-in-europe/

The end is nigh Epic ...

Just because 1 / 195 countries in the world ruled it gambling doesn't make it "Official".

Otherwise it would also be official that;

Divorced Women can't Parachute on a Sunday Afternoon -
    I am sure 50% of you can guess which U.S state wrote this law.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Last_Paragon View Post
      Just because 1 / 195 countries in the world ruled it gambling doesn't make it "Official".

Otherwise it would also be official that;

Divorced Women can't Parachute on a Sunday Afternoon -
      I am sure 50% of you can guess which U.S state wrote this law.
      Why argue semantics when you know what he means? Are you sad that lootboxes have been called out, for some reason? They need to go, along with micro transactions in general. We didn’t need them before, we don’t need them now. It ALMOST sounds like you’re defending them. Be happy. Hopefully it will indeed set a PRECEDENT for them everywhere.
      Last edited by GlenyGreybeard; 11-22-2017, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Last_Paragon View Post
        Official in one country is still official .. that is not even arguing semantics. However there is a caveat - according to the link below the ruling may not have yet been made.

Maybe a little premature ... there is some doubt according to those who translated this ... the investigation may still be ongoing, not yet a ruling

https://www.rtbf.be/info/medias/deta...ard?id=9769751

... outcome pending it appears

Comment

I was going to make a similar post, probably word it differently. Mostly wondering if Epic is going to start phasing out the ******** anti consumer stuff earlier or wait until it's atually starts (hopefully) being turned into legislation. (Sorry for the run on sentence)

Comment

Jim .. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28K6GkkaTik

Comment

It is gambling. But it is a freedom and right. No one is being forced to do anything. A person should be able to decide what they want to do with their own money, the government should not be interfering with the free market.

Comment

• YukeraYasha commented
                Editing a comment
                there are already games that are gambling based, a lot actually - if this ruling becomes commonplace, it doesn't mean that companies won't be able to use loot boxes, it means they will have to put safeguards in place to make sure the gambling aspect is age locked, or they will have to narrow their audiences to adult only. They will also probably have to buy a type of license, and meet certain criteria. You will still be able to play all the games you want to play, whether they have lootboxes or not, the companies that want to implement it will just have to get used to being regulated.

• LtMouse commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes it will eventually mean we will have no freedom to 'gamble' if we choose because those in power will perceive us as incapable of not wasting our money. Gambling is a major issue for a those that have serious gambling addictions but because of those few, the rest have to be treated as children too.

I like loot boxes. I know it is a form of gambling BUT I don't have any gambling addiction. It is a way for me to support a game I like, laugh at the silly items I get and remember a time when going to markets as a child and the fun of the 'Lucky Dip Prizes'

Originally posted by Fortnit View Post
              It is gambling. But it is a freedom and right. No one is being forced to do anything. A person should be able to decide what they want to do with their own money, the government should not be interfering with the free market.
              A right? Hardly. A freedom? Yeah, as deemed by a commission who sets rules that control what conditions that encompasses; such as being 21 years of age. You can’t gamble in your own home, or without a license, or in certain regions/zones. Payouts have to be set a certain way as well. Not a freedom or a right to kids. Adults MAY know better, children don’t always. There are protections in place on many things you may consider a right or freedom. Like seatbelts.

As for spending money however we like, well, sex slaves can be purchased with money. Nobody is forcing us to buy sex slaves. We don’t have to. Should that make it okay?
              Last edited by GlenyGreybeard; 11-23-2017, 01:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GlenyGreybeard View Post

A right? Hardly. A freedom? Yeah, as deemed by a commission who sets rules that control what conditions that encompasses; such as being 21 years of age. You can’t gamble in your own home, or without a license, or in certain regions/zones. Payouts have to be set a certain way as well. Not a freedom or a right to kids. Adults MAY know better, children don’t always. There are protections in place on many things you may consider a right or freedom. Like seatbelts.

As for spending money however we like, well, sex slaves can be purchased with money. Nobody is forcing us to buy sex slaves. We don’t have to. Should that make it okay?
                lol I don't think u understand sex slave and prostitution.

Comment

Workhouses for the poor, no public education, medical or social, only having the rights your skill set allows you to barter and as there's no public education or training left your going to start off life as an indentured slave so do the math on that. massive conglomerate monopolies making whatever rules they like. No justice system no police , only private armies.

yeah.. no thanks mate

the "free market" is a practice imported from the arab world to the west in during the crusades its about a thousand years old now, its out of date it doesnt work (as in it no longer achieves its purpose) and several things have been done to it over the years to make it worse than it was at its birth , Money becoming permanent and a thing of value in its own right

“I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies"
                  Thomas Jefferson

Loot box's are gambling always have been , just because there is no "official" classification does not change the systems that define it.

and you are right we should live in a free world where we decide how to spend our money , but its also true gambling is a danger that some people are weak to and it is always a rip off so it should be legislated and taxed accordingly. and as fortnite is a cartoony child friendly game, it is not hyperbole to say these guys are pioneering and leading the charge on introducing pedo gambling and frankly as i said at launch on this forum, it may not be illegal yet, but it is amoral and they do have to live with the damage they have done.
                  Last edited by padds; 11-23-2017, 03:13 AM.

Comment

• LtMouse commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I have no where to go with this except who made you Lord and champion of where I spend my free time and where do you think those kids get their credit card details from? Thats right. Mummy and Daddy have to give the ok for any Loot box transaction. So one would have to think logically and say if a child under 18 is spending money in a game, then their parents have given them permission to do so. The responsibility is then on the shoulders of those parents.

Think people forget the fact you can't sign a legal document for a credit card until 18 (in most countries I know of). That is the safe guard against gambling there.

Adult can do whatever they like but children maybe are not able to decide themself yet. They have to be protected.
                  There are reasons that there are laws regarding gambling and if gambling is implemented into computer games it has to follow the same law.

But at the moment as far as i know its only a suggestion to make a law against lootboxes.
                  Laws can not made within a few days in most countries. So it will still take a while until laws are written and actions are possible.

But the tendency is clear visible. How gaming is changed .. i don't know. Maybe its age restricted.. maybe games change.

But i personally don't like radomized loot boxes. And at the moment i would they they are gone in near future.
                  But i also think that micro transactions will stay. I do not really like them but developers have to be paid. So free games will always have microtransactions or commercial.

Comment

• LtMouse commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Children are the responsibility of their parents. The parents should monitor their children's online activities. It is not the responsibility of gaming companies, other people and certainly not you or I.

Children don't have access to credit cards to be able to purchase anything and if by chance they do it is because they stole it.

I love my loot boxes. I love the randomness of items. Always worth a giggle and I understand the issue those with addictions will have, but it is tiring always being told you can't have something just because another group misbehave.

The issue actually doesn't relate to freedoms at all.
                  It is actually an age restriction issue.

Unlike Games, Gambling is heavily regulated through Federal and State laws.
                  Which means to even sell the product you would need a age verification check.

Comment

This random lootbox thing exists already for years, but with the star wars game the discussions about it has evolved to a bigger audience.
                    The v-bucks can be bought and invested like for example in pokemon go the gold is (or farmville etc). The outcome of what you will get in the end is randomized, so you never know what you will get, which is basically the concept of gambling, just with a "gamecurrency" between the real money and the outcome.

As of games and from my experience as a game reviewer (and accountant) I can see all sides of this whole thing. You have on one side a demanding gamer community which will never be satisfied by what they get no matter how hard you try as a developer. On the other side you have the actuall developer studio which is proud of what they are working on and wana give you the best experience and then you have a THIRD side... the actual company, which is interested in high profit for their shareholders /and / or for getting money for new titles (because not all games are a success, it is like in pharmacy, not all of the meds they work on are going to be released and so is the gamebusiness nowadays). Gamebusiness changed over the past 40 years very much, from people which just had fun developing stuff to a money making business. That always have its downs.

To constantly evolve a game (especially online multiplayers) you need money to pay the developers for their worktime. So how you get that if everything on the game is free? Microtransactions is a way to do it. And I am fine with that as long as it does not affect the game itself too much (especially if you have bought a full title, which was not f2p). I am fine if a developer releases 300 character customisazions which you can pay for to get them (or get them instantly instead of grinding for it).

As a player I usually avoid games where I have to pay to be able to finish the game or compete with others. When it comes to fortnite, as long as I can achieve v-bucks by actively playing this game I am fine if there is a section where you can buy this game currency (because you do not have to, you can go and grind them by investing more time). So far I enjoy playing fortnite, but if I reach a point where it becomes pointless to play if you do not invest more real money my mood will change I most likely will just move on to another game.

For kids security the buy v-bucks buttons / section should only be visible if it is set to visible in parental section (the parental section allows you to protect kids from tapping in those traps, but that is something parents need to take care of more too). If that is not in place it should immediately be implemented before the game gets free to play, because kids are drawn to cartoony games.

Comment

• LtMouse commented
                      Editing a comment
                      And where are kids getting access to money from? Their parents so make the parents responsible for their children's actions, not companies and the wider community.

EA told its investors that the removal of lootboxes wouldn’t affect the projected sales profits.

Once again, micros aren’t needed to keep games “alive”. It’s an unfounded speculation at best, and a flat out lie at worst. I really don’t get why people defend this, or argue against negative opinions on micro transactions. Why would you? Why would you want micro transactions in video games? Do people think that micros have improved gaming since their introduction? I’m pretty sure every game I’ve played in the past wouldn’t have benefited from micro transactions in the least.

Comment

Originally posted by GlenyGreybeard View Post
                      EA told its investors that the removal of lootboxes wouldn’t affect the projected sales profits.
                      Aren't there laws about this stuff, or do those laws only apply when the lies aren't exceptionally, laughably blatant?

Comment

Working...
                      X