Crashed Drone Event

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Author membership
  • Show
Clear All

• Crashed Drone Event

This needs to be retuned. 9/10 times this event pops, everyone ignores it. I prefer to do it because it's worth 40% of a loot level at the end of the map, but it's **** near impossible to solo. People ignore it because it is too hard.

Epic can fix this by tuning down the number of enemies that spawn, or simply by allowing more time to build defenses before they start to overrun you. By the time I have 4 walls up, there are already a dozen husks beating them down. Plus there are probably lobbers amongst them, just adding to the chaos. Again, this event is ignored the vast majority of times because it's too hard to complete. Please address!

Hiya, what power level zones are you finding it too hard in? Keep an eye out for 1.10 patch notes, we made some changes that might make it easier for you if you're forced to solo. The intent is for it to be a group activity, if players are not actively wanting to drop what they're doing and take part, then the issue might be the rewards are not transparent or good enough.

Last edited by Chris.Kay; 12-06-2017, 06:47 PM.

Comment

I don't think it's a difficulty issue. Mostly people ignore it because the time required just isn't worth the rewards. Usually by the time it spawns I'm in the middle of something (building base, etc) and I'm just not inclined to stop to do the event, especially if it's across the map. If it's right next to me, maybe, but otherwise it's just not worth it

Comment

People ignore it because the loot is mostly pointless.
        Why waste time on an event where it isn't rewarding at all?

I also ignore those Loot Zombies what ever they are called. The zombies with the chest on their head.
        It is a waste of time even killing them, since the loot they drop is literally like 30 wood and 1 item.

Comment

I am currently PL37 and doing 34 and 40 zones. I know it's intended to be a group activity, but everyone just ignores it and I am unable to do it by myself. I honestly don't see it as a timesink issue. It rewards 40% of a loot chest level and also gives lots of building resources if completed.

Comment

Yet another issue caused by the loot box (piñata) madness. Once again, ruining gameplay in order to push people towards buying loot boxes. I GUARANTEE people would do the drone mission if there was even the SLIGHTEST possibility it could drop a schematic/hero. Instead, convoluted solutions get brought up because HEAVEN FORBID OMG they let us get loot the usual way—— through playing and having fun.

Just one more side effect of how loot boxes diminish the fun in games when the loot boxes are forced to be the foundation. Normally, in games, all the **** stuffed into loot boxes would be dropping from mobs/chests.

Comment

Originally posted by GlenyGreybeard View Post
              Yet another issue caused by the loot box (piñata) madness. Once again, ruining gameplay in order to push people towards buying loot boxes. I GUARANTEE people would do the drone mission if there was even the SLIGHTEST possibility it could drop a schematic/hero. Instead, convoluted solutions get brought up because HEAVEN FORBID OMG they let us get loot the usual way—— through playing and having fun.

Just one more side effect of how loot boxes diminish the fun in games when the loot boxes are forced to be the foundation. Normally, in games, all the **** stuffed into loot boxes would be dropping from mobs/chests.
              +1 to this but those items stuffed into loot boxes would come from world bosses, impossible to complete solo and much harder with party since they’ll set a level almost 20-30+ above the average player’s power level in the party. i would agree to this since they at least give us a chance to get it once in a while.

also, to avoid players cheating off the system, if incase this was to be implemented, i suggest that each map have a power level required to avoid high power level players partying lowbies to easily finish the side mission.

Comment

I'm currently PL63 - and would agree the Drones need a complete re-work (I did the first 3 or 4 when I began to play Fortnite, but not bothered since). Everyone ignores it because the rewards are terrible (I don't count resources as rewards because most of the time I have enough resources). If the drone was rescued, and then loot crates dropped/parachuted in for each player, well, that would make it more interesting. Basically it would need to give the same reward as a Storm Chest (or better).

Comment

Here is my problem with the drone. If people actually do decide to do it, there are a lot of husks already beating down the walls even as they are initially put up immediately after the drone hits the ground. You cannot build beforehand because the drone destroys anything too close. On top of that, this wave of husks isn't even the event wave, you have to 'activate' the drone scanner. A couple time we fought off the waves of husks, only to realize nobody actually kicked off the drone and we had to do it again. Put in a simple countdown timer after the crash landing, and do not require the activation.
                  People, even good team players, seem to rush in and grab the materials as soon as they appear as well. I've seen players stop fighting towards the end of the event to enter the mini-fort so they can grab the 'good stuff' (not that there is a lot of that). I swear, its almost like musical chairs, as soon as the music stops playing, grab what you can. I don't even see people do that for Outlander Llamas.
                  Plus, if somebody is in Encampments, Build the Towers, or any other timed mission, nobody is going to take the time to go find the drone.

On the Pro side though, you do get a Team Event boost to what reward chest you get at the end. So at least it is not just materials.

Comment

have not seen anyone go for a drone since plankerton.

Comment

Originally posted by Palindrome73 View Post
                      Here is my problem with the drone. If people actually do decide to do it, there are a lot of husks already beating down the walls even as they are initially put up immediately after the drone hits the ground. You cannot build beforehand because the drone destroys anything too close. On top of that, this wave of husks isn't even the event wave, you have to 'activate' the drone scanner. A couple time we fought off the waves of husks, only to realize nobody actually kicked off the drone and we had to do it again. Put in a simple countdown timer after the crash landing, and do not require the activation.
                      People, even good team players, seem to rush in and grab the materials as soon as they appear as well. I've seen players stop fighting towards the end of the event to enter the mini-fort so they can grab the 'good stuff' (not that there is a lot of that). I swear, its almost like musical chairs, as soon as the music stops playing, grab what you can. I don't even see people do that for Outlander Llamas.
                      Plus, if somebody is in Encampments, Build the Towers, or any other timed mission, nobody is going to take the time to go find the drone.

On the Pro side though, you do get a Team Event boost to what reward chest you get at the end. So at least it is not just materials.
                      Some great feedback in this thread thanks, In the next patch, you can now build around it before it lands, when the satellite crashes it does damage to nearby walls but will not destroy them anymore, however , the roof will get destroyed. Additionally, the drone will automatically activate after 20 seconds if you don't manually start it. We'll be looking into the rewards as we move forward.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris.Kay View Post

Some great feedback in this thread thanks, In the next patch, you can now build around it before it lands, when the satellite crashes it does damage to nearby walls but will not destroy them anymore, however , the roof will get destroyed. Additionally, the drone will automatically activate after 20 seconds if you don't manually start it. We'll be looking into the rewards as we move forward.
                        Please don't let the loot llama mongers become the voice of reason here. Yes, the rewards need to be tuned up, but to suggest that you get a schematic or hero or llama is ridiculous. I do agree that it should be treasure chest-level loot. Look at how players ALWAYS do storm chests when found because of the rewards. Great learning opportunity here. :)

If this change does not yield the desired response, try adding a delay before husks start spawning so we can build defenses before getting hit by crashing waves of them.

Comment

A big issue is that its just resources, and last few times I did them (been awhile) its not much in the way of resources. I don't see a need to reward schematics or heroes or such, however, things like ammo, gizmo's, nuts & bolts etc. that can replace the large amounts of durability wasted on the event would be good.

The drone also needs to immediately activate OR the husks need to not spawn until it's activated. Suggesting 20 seconds is a very weird resolution to a very simple problem. Why is there a need to activate the drone if the husks are already spawning?

Comment

I was just suggesting a fix that doesn't tread too much on the designers' intentions when I said "20 seconds". Seemed reasonable.

I convinced two of my teammates to do the drone event today. One of them had already built walls by the time I got there. They took damage, but did not get destroyed. I was playing as Hotfixer Hazard and managed to get my BASE down after regenerating my energy from the long run to get there. However, we had to replace the walls several times and the drone was down to about 20% by the time the timer finally expired.

TL;DR: it was still very difficult to finish, even with three players defending.

Comment

I'm pl74 and I tried to solo a lvl58 drone.......
                              Yeah, I didn't even stand a chance after the smasher spawned not even half way through. Too little time to setup for an already tough defense.

Comment

Working...
                              X