Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ready Checks!

Collapse
X

Ready Checks!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Author membership
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ready Checks!

    Heya Epic Games, 'sup Fortnite community!


    So here's the thing, and I'll cut right to the chase; Fortnite needs a ready check system... like, bad...

    More often than not, I feel pressured in finding the objective and building some decent defenses around them. Why? Because there's a good chance that there's a player in my match who can't tell an objective from the crusty tube sock next to his dirty magazines. These players just rush to the marker, blindly activate the objective, completely disregarding chat or the state of the defenses. This usually results in the base being overrun during the first stage and with the people who tried building stuff losing a lot of their mats. More often than not this happens when one player is building said defenses while the two other players are farming mats or scouting. It's also not uncommon to see the rushing player leave the game when they realise they're not in for a quick and easy win, leaving the game in an even worse state...

    End result; Game lost, resources gone, players salty, time wasted, big ol' pile of sadface...

    The solution I'd propose is to implement a forced ready check, with a handful of failsafes to prevent abuse.

    Player 1 triggers objective, Players 2-4 get a message stating Player 1 wishes to start the objective.
    Players 2 and 3 vote NO. Player 4 is AFK thinking he can farm some ez free XP. Since player 4 did not vote in time (let's say 30~60 seconds) he gets kicked from the game and, ideally, replaced by Player 5.
    A 30~60 second cooldown to try starting the objective again is imposed upon Player 1. Players 2, 3 and 5 are now clearly aware Player 1 wants to get going and can decide to head over to help build.
    Player 1 is getting antsy and as his cooldown ends, he tries again. Players 2, 3 and 5 vote NO again. They are notified that they can vote NO one more time, because games can't drag on forever.
    Players 2 and 5 have been busy building the defenses along with antsy player 1 and during Player 1's cooldown, Player 2 activates the objective.
    Player 3 just wants to farm mats and votes NO, but players 1 and 5 vote YES. Player 2 started the objective so their vote is automatically counted as yes.
    Three times YES vs. one time NO = Democratic resolution, the objective starts because the vote didn't end in a tie or a NO
    Should there be an instance where there's been three inconclusive votes, then the objective will automatically start 60 seconds after the fourth attempt to start with votes resulting in NO.

    So in short;
    1. Ready check, 30-60s
    2. Not voting = assumed to be AFK = kicked from game
    3. Majority YES = start
    4. Majority NO = Player attempting to start objective gets 30-60s cooldown before able to try again
    5. Max. 3 times to perform a ready check, on the 4th attempt, the objective will start regardless of vote outcome
    This should also reduce the probability of players trying to farm free XP by AFKing.

    Any additions or suggestions are welcome, and if you had a similar experience, feel free to drop it here also so the topic gains a bit of traction ;)

    That'll be all! Thank you for reading!

  • #2
    I get why you would want this to be a thing in fortnite but I don't want to have to wait even longer than i need to in order to do missions. The vote feature should just stay with survive the storm and not the save the world.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by ClintParis View Post
      I get why you would want this to be a thing in fortnite but I don't want to have to wait even longer than i need to in order to do missions. The vote feature should just stay with survive the storm and not the save the world.
      Shouldn't that encourage you and others to communicate more openly about the preferred type of game you want to play? i.e.; open up team communications, stating clearly; "Hey, dudes, I want to play a fast game, let's rush to objective and build up and go go go?",

      It's not particularly the players that have a quick mission in mind that I'm referring to, I'm specifically directing this to players who don't say a word, don't build a thing, disregard what others are doing and make a beeline for the "!" mark on the map, ram "E" and then act all confused or leave when everything around them inexplicably burns to the ground ;)
      Last edited by GekiritZ; 12-31-2017, 03:40 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by GekiritZ View Post

        Shouldn't that encourage you and others to communicate more openly about the preferred type of game you want to play? i.e.; open up team communications, stating clearly; "Hey, dudes, I want to play a fast game, let's rush to objective and build up and go go go?",

        It's not particularly the players that have a quick mission in mind that I'm referring to, I'm specifically directing this to players who don't say a word, don't build a thing, disregard what others are doing and make a beeline for the "!" mark on the map, ram "E" and then act all confused or leave when everything around them inexplicably burns to the ground ;)
        not really, I just build the base and by the time im done either everyones already waiting at base or start heading back as soon as they're asked. The people who ignore everything that others say do need to start communicating better yes, but we can't really force them to do it. If they want to be selfish, That's on them really.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by ClintParis View Post

          not really, I just build the base and by the time im done either everyones already waiting at base or start heading back as soon as they're asked. The people who ignore everything that others say do need to start communicating better yes, but we can't really force them to do it. If they want to be selfish, That's on them really.
          See, that's where I respectfully disagree. It's not on them, because they usually do not invest into the mission at all when others are. It's also wrong of them to assume their time is more or less precious than that of others. Maybe they don't care about losing a few minutes on a ruined game, but others might. Saying it's on them when they lose nothing while others might lose a little or a lot is, in my personal opinion, not the right way of approaching the issue.

          Comment


          • #6
            I can get behind this idea.

            This is one of the reasons my family plays together. There are three of us and we usually end up playing on Friends Only mode because of annoying random players.

            I will also say that there are still issues with the social system. Many times, chat doesn't work in missions.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Vyvian View Post
              I can get behind this idea.

              This is one of the reasons my family plays together. There are three of us and we usually end up playing on Friends Only mode because of annoying random players.

              I will also say that there are still issues with the social system. Many times, chat doesn't work in missions.
              The chat thing is a different thing altogether, but I haven't seen it "break" or not work yet, save a single message not going through every once in a while (retrying usually resolved it). But to further the discussion and to reiterate my point; Yes, a single bad apple can end up ruining the bunch.

              Case in point example of my own: I invested a fair bit of resources in a murder tunnel/maze on a Ride The Lightning where Lars' van was surrounded by higher ground. Announcing I'd make a murder hole, I blocked off most access routes to lower ground the husks would take, creating a nice funnel leading to a drop into my murder maze through a hole in the ceiling. As I was finishing it up another player decided it was time to get going, making the other two dudes panic and run back. They couldn't see directly down into my murder box and assumed it was an undefended/incomplete funnel straight to the van.

              Apparently my teamies didn't like reading or missed the earlier announcement about me taking care of defenses. Before I had a chance to explain my murderous machination, low walls were put up and the entry to my kill box plugged up with husks already marching down the funnel. The other two players actually earned their keep despite them plugging up my murder hole, but they put in quite a few resources of their own building defenses, but still.

              About 500 of each resource and 15 traps worth of nuts and bolts and other mats rendered useless as I was forced to just shoot the husks, eating up even more resources, just because one hasty little ****** decided he wanted to go go go and not take a second to ask if we were good to go. My intent was to let the murder box do the killing while I circled the vans' surroundings picking off lobbers or mist monsters and farm back some of the invested resources, but hell, I'm starting to reach that point where I won't be the one investing a single thing into defenses unless I know 100% sure the other players show the slightest notion of possessing intelligence. If it's that hard to ask everyone if we're ready in chat, I guess the next best thing is to suggest Epic looks at a ready check system so the playerbase doesn't grow apathetic and just lethargically plops down a wood shack and hope someone with an OP weapon can carry...

              Comment

              Working...
              X