Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some of my ideas at level 84 on console (improvements, problems, etc)

Collapse
X

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I made a post a while back last year addressing some of the concerns that I had with the game mode, and over time I think a lot of them were addressed. Here is another NEW list of problems/solution/feedback as I sit at level 84.

#1: 'Sploders

Problem: Sploders are just devastating. We all have our least favorite/ most hated type of mob in the game. Some people hate Blasters, some lobbers, me personally...I hate dwarf zombies. Each of the different mobs, however, does have a reasonable counter to their attacks. Lobbers can be dealt with swiftly by picking them off with a ranged weapon or sniper or the shredder (personal fave), and the skulls could be shot out of the sky, but no one ever does this. Why it's even an in-game loading screen 'tip' is beyond my knowledge. If you were to shoot the skull from the air, another would be immediately fired again, giving you no space or time to actually make this tip useful in any way. By perhaps increasing the duration between their throws and then making them more powerful instead would be a better fix for this. Blasters, on the other hand, can be easily avoided by just making a two-tile high wall, placing them in opportunistic areas around the map as quick 'hideouts' should you be faced with one or multiple blasters.

And then...there's 'Sploders. 'Sploders, I think, could be easily the most devastating of all the husk types. The reason is that they just obliterate all your beautiful traps during a mission. Beautiful...and EXPENSIVE. I think we all know that 'building' in the game usually comes down to a few different outcomes. One person, a constructor, who loves building, just makes the entire base, and will occasionally get dropped building materials as 'reimbursement' or as a 'thank you' from fellow team members. Other times, one or two people will just decide to build themselves, and other times, everyone contributes equally. Traps are a masterful part of the game, and although may not be entirely necessary in certain missions or even lower level missions, they are ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL when you get to late game Twine Peaks. So upgrading to more powerful, and equally, more expensive trap schematics is a must. So everyone is excited to use them, and make great trap funneling systems, only for them all to be destroyed by 'Sploders at random points in time. Are there counters to this? Yes, but not really. Sure experienced players will make sure to shoot any 'Sploders in the gut to avoid their tanks from exploding, and yes if the Sploders die from traps outright, their tanks will not blow...the real problem is that their tanks just sit there...waiting for inevitable explosion by a single missed bullet shot from any of the four teammates. And what's worse, is that there could be 20 or more propane tanks that are all just sitting there, and will domino-effect when one explodes destroying pretty much EVERYTHING. It's very sad and annoying playing with randoms who don't know some key things when fighting them....to go for the gut...and to stand far enough away so that the Sploders won't throw the tanks at them bouncing around like a bunch of bloodthirsty A.D.D kids who really want to kill stuff and they don't care about the traps since they didn't spend the materials anyways.

Potential Solutions: I think a a good way to resolve this would be to simply make it so that if the Sploders die from trap damage, or from gut-shots, instead of leaving their tank there waiting to be blown up, it should just disappear altogether. That would be the easy solution. There's enough different types of husks in late game that we have to worry about. It's become more of an annoyance than variety at this point with all the different types of attacks, counters, etc. So I really hope the devs look into doing something about this. Another solution would be to dial back their explosion damage dealt to structures, change the tanks to 'gas' or 'shrapnel' tanks instead...etc.

#2: Evacuate the Shelter

Problem:
    Like...everything. It is easily the least-played mission type out of all the missions. It's not only 'not fun', but it's literally the only mission where you can fail it within like 10 seconds just from loading in. Basically, as SOON as the first player loads in, the shelter is under attack...from a LOAD of different mobs....requiring the player not only to have to run there IMMEDIATELY, but run there and start spam building walls and killing mobs. It literally doesn't make any sense to me, and is a huge annoyance to get done if you're required to complete it for a mission. Granted, the missions requiring this usually give an alternative like deliver the bomb or something, it's just a waste of space at the moment. If you were to want to successfully complete it(at least higher level ones), you would have to either do it with friends, or have everyone on voice chat to announce when you're about to load in. Even when I join the groups, I am aware of this, but cannot tell for sure if they are already in, or just sitting on the screen, etc. Just a dumb mission altogether lol.

Potential Solutions: There's a plethora that I can think of. First, just put a timer of like a minute or something in at the start, allowing players to run there, and not punishing players with a failed mission just because of a long loading screen on entry. Second possible solution, make it so that it does not start until you reach the shelter or at least get within range of it. This will allow players to maybe gather some resources while they wait for others to join and not fail it for everyone.

#3: The Typical Known Issues

Problem:
    Okay so there are some that are fine, but the 'freezing' is getting SO RIDICULOUS. Before it was just freezing when another player loaded in. Then it was when another player joins and again when they load in. Then it was when a player joins, when they load in, and when the day resets and we are awarded commander xp....and now? It happens when any player joins, then again when they load in, then at the reset of every day, AND just random areas or times when you're in the mission, often killing players by running them off cliffs on the edge of the map or trapped within a lot of mobs that just kill them by the time the freeze ends. And it's a LONG freeze too, like ten seconds or more at times.

Solution: Idk...please fix it? Look, I'm aware that this game is basically mostly played and most-successful on the PvP Battle Royale side of things, but I feel like on behalf of other Save the World players, we feel a bit neglected. Just ask yourselves, "if we never came out with Battle Royale PvP, where would Save the World game be at this time in development?" and if the answers is anywhere farther along than it is now, then yes, we are a bit neglected. I truly think that, despite the masses that play PvP, Save the World needs its own team of people working towards developing new ideas, talking with the playerbase, fixing issues that have been out for a long time, etc. I bought this game for what I thought would be the long run, and have lately felt very unmotivated, especially with the insane RNG, and money I've spent trying to get ONE weapon from a llama, and then finally getting it...with the worst possible rolls on it...etc. I would be happy to be part of this team. I see real potential, and I have great ideas for where this side of the game could go. You have the opportunity now with all the PvP players, to start soaking them into the PvE side of things, and capture them for the long haul and not just until the next new trending Royale game comes out, please don't waste it! :)

#4: Defenders...c'mon

Problem:
    Okay so this has been an issue many times. Defenders...useless or nah? Yes and no. Do they help you in battles or missions when you are down a guy or two? Yeah they can, but dropping them a gun AND bullets is annoying. And of course they won't be as effective as another player. What's more is that no one really WANTS to spend the resources and rain drops to actually upgrade them to a point where they WOULD be pretty effective. Additionally, they leave or are dismissed if the group fills with four people, etc.

Potential Solution: Allow them to be used even with four people. Maybe not every person allowed to summon 3 each, but maybe one each? Or just one or two depending on mission difficulty? Make them more effective. Either just increase their health a significant amount or something, otherwise they are more of a burden to simply "keep alive" unless you make them their own sniper tower...but Bruiser and other close combat defenders can't have this. Also, make them worthwhile, maybe they can gather wood or stone for you over time, or repair walls that they're near. Maybe make the bonuses that they get when upgraded also give a percentage of those bonuses to the summoner and his/her team members nearby, making them actually useful and worthwhile. This could be really fun to use, but please make them useful :)

Continued in next post...........

continued....

Future Ideas and Suggestions for Current Annoyances

#1: The higher level you get...the less rewarded you feel. This is something of concern to me. In other RPGs, people want to grind, get that high level, to be looked upon as an elite by other players. To help guide new players, and help them along their path to glory as well. But with the current system, the higher level you get, the lonelier it is. You get to the point where you run into the same one or two people who are grinding for rain drops, and never anyone really wanting to help you unless they're also helping themselves so quest progression grinds almost to a hault. No one in Stonewood knows who you are, or of your existence, and should they get confused or frustrated with the game (like upgrading their weapon schematics too soon -- this should be fixed btw) they might just quit or giveup, when they could otherwise seek guidance from a lot of the friendly higher-leveled players in the game. There is a lack of community, when not in a mission you just sit alone staring at pages on your menu, and can only really take part in conversations with other global chat members during this time and not when playing a mission.

Suggested Solution: Put a town in. Like literally a town where people can roam around, trade materials, talk, chat, ask for help, etc. Incorporate it to the game by making it like the 'Survivor Town', or the 'Xion' (Matrix reference) of Fortnite. Like we were able to salvage enough people and resources to have a small town of the last known survivors in the world. Allow us to also access our same menu of schematics either by pressing the select button to open the page, or by different NPC's like a 'Banker' etc. from other games. Here, people can actually ask higher level characters questions about how to do certain missions, increase their levels effectively, help for SSD's (instead of being drowned out or laughed at when posting in the game hub on console by "BE SWEATY 5000+ WINS #*(#@(@#(" type posts. Currently, there is no way for lower levels to communicate with higher levels since they are locked out of those areas until they progress, other than global chat and the workarounds, this is where I see a HUGE lack for the game. Make an actual community. Financially speaking, you can rake in more money by offering a free market where players can purchase a "Trade Booth" with V-Bucks that lasts for 30 days, or 60 days, whichever. By purchasing the Trade Booth stand, players are able to post items they may not need for items that they do need (i.e. lower level materials that players maybe no longer need since they recently upgraded their traps schematics, for coal or batteries or whatever). They can either post to the 'Auction House' or even have an actual merchant that would stand in their stead. But the possibilities don't end just there...you could even have monthly events (or however common you would want them to be) where different players can 'squad up' to defend the town from an ongoing 24-hour attack or something crazy, and you are awarded based on your damage output as a squad or individually, etc. New missions could be added that encourage players to help each other. I, as a level 84, could get a Daily mission to "Help a lower level character complete a mission", I could go to the town and actually have it be worth something to help someone out, maybe making friends along the way.

Separately, you could go the 'Walking Dead' route. Like stumbling across a group of survivors on your journey, guilds can be created. In your guild you can salvage the means for a small town in which you can decorate or protect. Your guild, depending on it's player/town size will have times that it is attacked once a month or something by a long husk attack, encouraging a lot of players to log on and help defend your stuff. If successful, you're able to expand, like your storm shield does, and you'll have access to different things, more buildings you can claim, etc.

In conclusion, I love the game, and although it's become repetitious, I think that there is LOTS of potential to improve and reshape a lot of things. I would love to help give more creative ideas, but I just hope that this side of things hasn't been forgotten. As for other Save the World players reading this, let me know what you think about what I've talked about! It would be awesome to dream about some of these things or even hear back from a dev should this pick up some pace from player-based responses. I know I didn't address 'all the problems' but this really was only meant to address a lot of the things that I think should be priority on the 'fix-it' list.

Thanks everyone! Always willing to help a fellow player on Xbox One add me gt: Looppedd

:)

Comment

• O1dGuy commented
      Editing a comment
      https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/f...dea#post154149

-Players can just drop superb weapon for their friends.
      -Trading would make it unable to drop unless its durability is low or you can drop it but can not be pick up by low lvl players.
      -it would be nice if you go to a lower lvl area your lvl or weapon damage goes down but wont lower the durability(grinding supplies is getting bored sometimes)
      *i feel like John Wick with my piston then run and shoot(one hit kill)

Don't mean to sound rude but is there anyway you can shorten this down or post a another comment in this thread with your points being simplified? It's way too much to read, I gave up after the first big paragraph
    Ricz0r is my inspiration

-----Day 1 Founder-----

Comment

• ClintParis commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm sure it is but I'm not a big fan of reading huge essays so I guess I'll have to give it a miss xD

• Loooped commented
      Editing a comment
      I know it's long, but I wanted to be in-depth and thorough. I had some things I thought were well-thought out, and wanted to make an effort not only to just 'list them' but the reasons why I listed them as well as providing some possible solutions.

• ClintParis commented
      Editing a comment
      I understand your reason for the long thread and I'm glad others have had a read of it, normally I read pretty much every thread and will read huge paragraphs but I think maybe it's because I am too busy playing fortnite to have a read right now xD

A great post with some great ideas. The town idea sounds very cool. And dear God does the freeze issue need to be fixed. Why is the game bothering to tally command points at the end of each day anyway?

Comment

Very good ideas. I’m midway into twine peaks and have the same experience. Another major problem in the community is “looking to trade” and scammers in chat. This should be addressed since global chat is now filled with level 4s thinking they need a shadow shard gun.
      Community Leader, Bug Reports.

Comment

• ClintParis commented
        Editing a comment
        This isn't the community that is looking to trade. These are kids under the age of 10 that came from br and want scars. They are not part of our community, none of us like them. The community are the ones that play the game, not spam the chat for hours on end without even going into missions. Br has brought a plague with it, god help us when this game goes free. We really need to protest a free save the world because it's going to get destroyed by the kids from br.

• Loooped commented
        Editing a comment
        Clint, while I more or less agree with you pessimism here (lol), I think these 'kid players', over time, will filter themselves out. Once past Stonewood and Plankerton, you will really only see the more serious or dedicated players. Since the game is so popular, of course we should expect to see kids ducking in to the PvE side of things to try and see what it's all about, but they will filter out over time and never make any real progression.

Aside from that, I'd actually be for a free save the world, anything that encourages the lengthy survival of the PvE side of the game is fine by me, if it means some of these fixes are implemented (like the freezing for one) and some new ideas brought to the table.

• ClintParis commented
        Editing a comment
        I have a strong feeling these kids won't see canny lmao. But I get your point. However yes, the freezing bugs need to go ASAP. Most have been here since day 1 so there really isn't an excuse for them to still be in the game. People can say it's "beta" or "it's early access" all they want, but it's been nearly a year now that the lag bugs have been here. Not excusable.

Sounds pretty freaky, Twine it up yo!

Comment

Well thought out posts, have a bump for attention.

- As for propane tanks, they're meant to be the counter to trap funnels. Where the problem rises is later levels where you see waves of them 8+ at a time from multiple directions, you end up with a string of propane tanks littering the kill box making it dangerous to engage the huskies that like to accompany Sploder waves. And as you mention it only takes one stray shot, one deflected throwing star (why is this still a thing?), or one kill happy player to annihilate 20 minutes worth of gathering. One of the very few benefits to entering twine and not having my pick axe upgraded immediately was that I could whack propane tanks twice before they exploded, structures still got peppered but it wasn't the defense shattering explosion that makes constructors cry.

If melee strikes knocked them farther back, even just 50% further, it would make a world of difference in how we manage them, I'd also love to see them throw by launcher traps... a clever lay out could sacrifice a ceiling trap for the ability of getting those tanks away from the kill box.

- I like the sense of urgency involved in Evac missions, I like that the number of husks you need to kill initially scales with the number of players on load in, but I dislike failing before I reach the shelter. Playing a constructor in this mission is incredibly difficult simply because you have such a hard time getting to it in time and that's barring a slow load.

The initial fight should be a bonus objective rather than a fail condition. If the shelter is destroyed during the initial fight you lose the bonus.... but it repairs back to full once you complete that initial phase.

- And on to Defenders, again I like the idea of them. But they just aren't as effective as they need to be, even with the new heal pad, a monstrous weapon, and a funnel designed to support them they just don't bring enough to the table to warrant the cost. I've seen a few people argue about how they set out a pair of defenders then sat back and shot mist monsters while the defenders did the rest... yet they've never been able to reproduce those results for me. I've sunk a ton of time & resources into trying to pull it off but the only way I've been able to make defenders "effective" was to trap so heavily that they were picking off stragglers and at that point one more normal trap would have eliminated the threat anyway.

In there current form they need to be MUCH cheaper to place... along the lines of 2 planks 2 rough ore for the pad cheap, we're paying for the weapon and the ammo. I also think they should provide party stats, soloing is difficult because you're forced to over build, expending all of the resources yourself, and don't have the padded health / shields / damage you get from party stats.

-Lastly the freezing anytime game state changes... it's a truly ancient bug and long over due for squishing. nuff said

Comment

• Loooped commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you!

-About the propane tankers, I do understand that that's what their purpose is, but it just seems a bit 'too effective' if that makes sense. When it comes down to a stray bullet, like we both have mentioned, causing the imminent destruction of 20 minutes worth of farming, it makes me less inclined to spend the materials for the traps at all. And playing with randoms should not make me sweat so much if they decide they want to fight inside the death tunnels lol. That's why I suggested maybe dialing back the structure damage, if I have enough time to go and repair it, I will, but if my triple upgraded stone ceiling is gone before I even have a chance at all to repair it, it just kind of sucks.

-Evac missions. I also like the 'sense of urgency' with this missions, but it doesn't change the fact that it's just really hard to generally get a completion, and out of no fault of one's own. A longer loading screen could just fail you outright. Something needs to change there, I like your idea of it being added as a 'bonus'!

Everything else I think we are like-minded on :)

I can agree with most of this. The higher level thing is an issue with the balance pass they did but ONLY FOR Stonewood and Plankerton. Once you hit Canny Valley and Twine Peaks they have not balanced rewards or XP in those high level mission types. This is why you feel the massive slowdown.

This is why I and many other players on PC that have been playing for over a year now have been trying to ask what the timeline is on doing a story/balance pass on all the high level content. With all the Battle Royal and Event stuff we've barely seen any progress on the core game. The fact that the roadmap has no information on this is not promising.

Comment

One other counter to ‘sploders is to attract attention away from the funnel. A few shots in the back and they turn around and chuck the tank at you. It helps to have a tank or speed demon that can operate on the outside to keep them from wrecking the funnel. A few of us would switch out as shields are depleted and health is suffering to catch our breath and recharge while using ranged attacks.

Comment

• sowhereaminow commented
            Editing a comment
            This. And the Zapp Zapp is your best tool for dealing with sploders. Land a shot near them and the tank detonates immediately. Very useful if you can catch them before they hit your primary trap zone.

Yeah I hate the splooders as well , but I found a strategy how traps can deal with without your help . I did some tests on this idea and it worked pretty well. I am not sure i am the first one who got this idea.

Comment

I’ve seen something similar with a lot of floor launchers to trip them while other traps do damage. Heck, maybe it was you I’ve seen do it. Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikel64 View Post
              I’ve seen something similar with a lot of floor launchers to trip them while other traps do damage. Heck, maybe it was you I’ve seen do it. Lol.
              I mean yes, I agree they can be somewhat 'dealt with', but my main concern is the fact that even if you did that setup correctly, you're left with 20+ propane tanks waiting to be shot from some ADHD kid who decides to go kill inside the tunnel :/

Comment

• Mikel64 commented
                Editing a comment
                There is always that risk when playing with strangers, as well as players that sit at the entrance to the funnel and burn 1,000 rounds of ammo and not a single husk went in.
            Working...
            X