X

Stat caps are a bad idea

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stat caps are a bad idea

The most recent patch expanded the stat cap from being zone-based to being mission power based, and I believe that is a terrible design decision.

The point of allowing players to choose the power level of their missions, as well as the zone they play in, is to let them choose their own play experience. Casual players can play lower missions where they will have less difficulty but progress slower while more dedicated players can focus on the highest levels to challenge themselves, and so on. Deciding that each mission should be "more in line with the difficulty intended at that level" is taking that decision out of the hands of the player.

It also has the effect of changing the progress system from being one of increasing effectiveness through the collection of skill and research nodes and improvement of survivor squads to being a system of handicap mitigation, since extra stats don't help you they simply prevent you from being UNDERpowered when you reach a certain level. At no point can they make lower level content easier because every single mission has a max stat cap designed to make that mission challenging for anyone in it.

The only reason caps would ever make sense is if high level players were ruining the experience for lower level characters in missions by steamrolling the content... and that's what matchmaking systems are for - to match people looking for random groups with people of similar power levels. People who are looking for help with missions are never, in my experience, unhappy to have a higher level/power player join to help them.. I've never seen a 75 player join a lower level SSD and have anyone say "oh, you're too strong.. I wanted help but I wanted help from someone weaker please".

If anything, all of the stats caps, even the zone-level caps, should have been removed rather than new caps added. I sincerely hope Epic reconsiders this choice.

all that and any weapons with critical chance are much less effective

Comment

Stat caps are definitely a stupid idea. This is a pve game we want to work together not kill each other like in BR. Lower levels want higher levels to help and higher levels are almost always glad to help. Epic is underestimating the player base but also killing it (by allowing BR scum to spam trade all the time).

Comment

whats the point of the tree if its only going to get capped????????????????????????

Comment

It should also be noted that there are two different types of stat caps being layered over one another at this point, and I don't just mean zone (which limits access to entire tiers of the skill tree) and mission PL which as of the latest patch applies a hard cap on your maximum stats for that mission. There is also some sort of diminishing limit applied near your actual PL.

Example: PL 56 character with 962 offense and 1031 tech.. in a PL 28 mission its all hardcapped at 525 (in plankerton). In canny in a PL 46 mission those are set to 890 and 914 respectively. In a canny PL 52 mission they're 910 and 934. So, there's three sets of stat limitations being applied simultaneously.

What's the point of this? To give us an illusion of progression? To keep adding more rough edges to encourage STW players to leave in disgust so they don't demand refunds when you close STW to focus on BR as many people seem to believe you want to?

Comment

I no longer want to play. End of. Looks like they have finally killed PvE for me.

Comment

I'll keep playing in hopes that it gets better but from now on I don't think we should accept "we have ideas." or "we're working on it." as answers to our questions anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by SatNiteEduardo View Post
                I no longer want to play. End of. Looks like they have finally killed PvE for me.
                This is about where my gaming group is. Now we're being treated as being the PL of the mission we take, but being given reduced XP based on the PL we actually have at homebase. It's insane, and there's no way Epic doesn't see that.

Comment

so overall this update nerfed skill trees. xp gained, and critical chance stats, that does not sound balanced

Comment

My entire disappointment from that latest patch is with the fortstats nerf!
                    I joined a stonewood ssd10 and couldn't even stop a smasher using 4star Deathray. 4star Terminator. Hit em with the 4star swords, nothing. It took me longer to kill that low lvl smasher than it does for me to kill a lvl100 smasher!
                    Even with my wide range of weapons schematics, all weapons of every lvl were doing terrible dmg. Where i would normally hold off a large encampment solo in any other area, I got killed here in stonewood because I wasn't able to 1 shot all those husks like i normally do.
                    They took multiple shots no matter the lvl of weapon! I burned through soo much ammo of every type and tore thru a ton of durability on multiple weapons..
                    I used to be able to help low lvls do their ssds without a full group, but now a lvl100 is gimped so badly he is the equal to a powerlvl 15 weakling?
                    Where it used to be that low lvl couldn't use high lvl weapons, now high lvls can't even use high lvl weapons?
                    This is enough to make a person quit, why ruin an immersive fantastic game with these single horrible decisions to make players miserable?
                    Last edited by Fortnit; 03-08-2018, 10:42 PM.

Comment

Maybe it's just me but I don't seem to be having any issues. I tried CV even though I am level 84 and I really didn't see any difference but it could be because my weapons and hero setups are pretty epic. My friend and I can pretty much two man any content except for the 4 player stuff and stuff that's 94+. But I haven't tried CV 4 man ever since the patch, but we were able to do it before.
                      Last edited by Darlatan; 03-08-2018, 10:26 PM.

Comment

I earned, grinded, and farmed my way to be able to fully upgrade my weapons, so they would do the most possible dmg, but now my sunbeam guns won't work at full power outside of a lvl100 map?
                        Not cool. Why should any weapon be nerfed in Twine? Why bother wasting xp on lvling up a weapon when it does the exact dmg with or without the upgrade?
                        Last edited by Fortnit; 03-08-2018, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by VoodooMike View Post
                          It should also be noted that there are two different types of stat caps being layered over one another at this point, and I don't just mean zone (which limits access to entire tiers of the skill tree) and mission PL which as of the latest patch applies a hard cap on your maximum stats for that mission. There is also some sort of diminishing limit applied near your actual PL.

Example: PL 56 character with 962 offense and 1031 tech.. in a PL 28 mission its all hardcapped at 525 (in plankerton). In canny in a PL 46 mission those are set to 890 and 914 respectively. In a canny PL 52 mission they're 910 and 934. So, there's three sets of stat limitations being applied simultaneously.

What's the point of this? To give us an illusion of progression? To keep adding more rough edges to encourage STW players to leave in disgust so they don't demand refunds when you close STW to focus on BR as many people seem to believe you want to?
                          The differences you're seeing is the party shared stats are clamped, even from yourself, for yourself.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FORTnITE/co...pl40_missions/

So in that PL52 mission, if you normally had 1,300 total offense with 300 of that being party share, not from others, but from yourself, you'd only get 1,155 in the mission(Party share stats are capped at 155 in PL52 missions). Because the Party shared stats you have are capped before they're applied to even you, much less anyone else.

Effective Weapon Level is also capped, which it was before, just per zone like stats were. The PL15/40/70/100 values in that link are what the respective zones were capped at prior to this patch.

Comment

Bad System works bad..........
                            In Theory, now i must level the same Blueprint 4 times? One for Stonewood, one for Plankerton and so on? Where to store all the Materials that i need for this?
                            On the other hand, i loose all my Sunbeams to weapons which i cant use at their full range?( i know that there was a cap before, but not that big!)
                            Then should a weapon , if it is capped, dont loose durability.

What a big mess .........really.

Comment

AMEN. Epic, please repeal these stupid stat caps. Why are you purposely hobbling your players in a PLAYER VERSUS ENEMY GAME?!? Seriously, what's the point? "Waah, this guy is too powerful for this mission I'm in, I wanted to die and re-spawn AT LEAST 20 times this match!!".... Said NO ONE EVER.

Comment

Working...
                              X