X

Question about mazing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about mazing

Hi, there. Great game, love what I've seen so far. As someone who's played a tonne of tower defense games, at what point does the AI go, "screw all this mazing, I'ma just go through this wall?". Is mazing even a thing in Fortnite?
    Cheers. :)

Not really they will always bee line for the goal. This was my main issue in alpha and I mentioned it only to everyone shot down as most alpha players wanted the game to be more like cod and just shoot the husks rather then actually build forts which the games supposed to be.

Comment

Its a survival game, not a fort building game.

if yoi make your stuff too complicated they say fk it and just plow through, but if you create an intelligent funnel and reinforce it, theyll go in your tunnel.

Comment

• Riotsmurf commented
        Editing a comment
        It literally has "Fort" in the title. Of course its a fort game. Its a fort game with survival tps added to it.

Always make sure there is a direct and easy path to the defense point for the Husks to follow, then load it up with Traps. Never try to get husk to travel sideways more than one full grid at a time.

Comment

The Husks actually have varying AI. Some are doggedly persistent and some are flaky, some very clever and some straightforward, in a literal sense... some goal oriented and some distractable.You can build mazes, but to tempt the Husks into them you have to dangle a proper carrot. 100% success is asking a lot...

For instance, if you accidentally leave the back of your fort exposed, you can bet every single Husk will be marching right around your walls and traps. :]

To get Husks to path around your walls, instead of through them:

Keep your walls tough. The tougher the better. Husks are more likely to walk around when going through means pounding through layer after layer of durable steel walls.

Offer bottlenecks and chokepoints. Create a big wall with a small hole and you'll see every Husk run straight for the gap. That gap, by the way, is a good place to set up your traps.

Don't expect the Husks to back up. Some sneaky Husks will try to get as close as they can without getting blocked - walking over catwalks, taking back ways - but most refuse to move backwards.

Other players will distract the horde. If your friend is sitting behind a low wall, blasting the Husks, all the more likely they will try to tear that wall down to get your friend... same principle applies to the Freaks too, but on a bigger, Smashier scale. If your traps are going unused, consider what the players are doing.

Consider exposing the Objective. Nothing tempts the Husks to just run for it, like an Obstruction:0 path. Remember, in Tower Defense, blocking is cheating... if you want to play TD and not COD, don't cheat the rules.

Comment

I've never seen examples of husks targeting weaker walls over stronger ones although I haven't played a massive amount yet. There have been scenarios where my mini-mazing works out brilliantly but there's other times they just bust through walls. I get that it's not a strict TD game and I shouldn't entirely have the fort play the game for me but I was just curious as to break points. Eg what makes the AI smash walls instead of walk around them? Maybe they actually have to see the way to be able to path through because on my Storm Shield defenses, my south defense works great on enemies from the south but as soon as there's east or west, they ignore the mini maze entirely.
          So yeah, to clarify, my questions are more about AI behaviour and priorities rather than "how do I build defenses?" type questions. Like, for example, are walls with doors seen as potential entry points or are all walls just considered walls? Who knows.

Comment

I would love to know this too. It helps when designing traps in Mazes versus tunnels. One thing i noticed was the wall launcher either sometimes, or always, causes the AI to change paths. So when it is hit by the wall launcher, it finds a new path, which can sometimes be more direct than it's last path.

To clarify on that last point. In one of my base defense missions, I just put the amplifier in a cube, and I think this one had stairs in the back. Well they were traveling to the back, I assume to get to the defender on the top, and were avoiding going through the front. As they were running along the sides, a wall launcher was pushing them away from the wall, and this caused them to turn to the amplifier and start attacking the wall directly (instead of running parallel to it).

If that's the case, I would be more meticulous about where your wall launchers go.

Comment

I allways build a little chokepoint in front of the storm like that :

Code:
              _ _ _   _ _ _  <= little wall (1 x 3 )
                  _ _ _    
              _ _ _   _ _ _

[  ] <= atlas
              They (often) follow the maze cause they detect an easy way to my atlas.
              I add a floor and ceiling trap to the entrance, some spikes on the wall and floor and here we go.

But it's true that, sometimes they start to hit a wall, while the other go into the maze...maybe it's depending to their spawing point ?

Comment

Originally posted by Hyung Lo View Post

if yoi make your stuff too complicated they say fk it and just plow through, but if you create an intelligent funnel and reinforce it, theyll go in your tunnel.
                I found this to pretty much be the case. After a few trial and errors with mazing and other avenues, the funnel option is by far the best, however, you do need to have a good general idea where they are going to be spawning. One tip I have to add, make the ramps uphill priority for funneling.

Comment

I just make a ton of layers (funnel option) and leave the front door only have the door and a str8 line to it. They go for the weakest part of your building so just make the weakest part a str8 line with floor traps and wall traps and ceiling traps. while putting layers of walls everywhere else. That's how i been doing it I do this in 4 directions otherwise they will still just go thru your walls to the atlas or storm shield.

Comment

You can't really maze but you can funnel as others have suggested. I find that mobs will generally take the shortest + least obstructed path, so a zig-zagged funnel into a long hall can work fairly well. Kaias26's layout never really works for me because they generally end up breaking through the top-left/right walls. I use something like this, given the space:

Code:
                    -     -
                     -   -
                      - -
                      - -
                      - -

Comment

Home base defense can be done soloely with fortbuilding itself- at least I did afk in storm defense 7 in my base.
                      For mobs they mostly look for shortest/ thickest wall with no obstacles- ex they can come across half the map if you block them on ramp by ceiling.
                      In short- if you are smart enough it can be base building game for sure.

Comment

My META, The AI, currently like to take the quickest route to their target BUT if you add 1 wall in their way, you can force them to take a small route.

Legend:
                        "-" Are walls
                        "l" Are walls
                        "=" Are Where they walk in
                        "/" Are Stairs

Examples:

l--=----l l=-----l
                        l----= l l--l=--l
                        l /------l l-----=l
                        Stairs cause a funnel makes Shotguns OP

Comment

Originally posted by Hyung Lo View Post

Um... it is... a fort building survival game... the fort building was a focused selling point and a main feature. Just look at the announcement trailers, a lot of them show very complex and massive forts. The fact that the Husks for the most part ignore paths and simply go straight through walls is actually very counter to the way the game was presented.

The frustration for some of us is that the game is not working the way it sounded like it was intended to. So people like me who focus on structural defense have limited options, and while most of us builders are capable of holding our own solo, we dont get to have as much fun being creative as we thought we would get to be when seemingly any path that isnt "as the crow flies" causes the husks to just say "Screw you" and go THROUGH instead taking the path of least resistance as advertised.
                          Last edited by AcePritch; 07-30-2017, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AcePritch View Post

Um... it is... a fort building survival game... the fort building was a focused selling point and a main feature. Just look at the announcement trailers, a lot of them show very complex and massive forts. The fact that the Husks for the most part ignore paths and simply go straight through walls is actually very counter to the way the game was presented.

The frustration for some of us is that the game is not working the way it sounded like it was intended to. So people like me who focus on structural defense have limited options, and while most of us builders are capable of holding our own solo, we dont get to have as much fun being creative as we thought we would get to be when seemingly any path that isnt "as the crow flies" causes the husks to just say "Screw you" and go THROUGH instead taking the path of least resistance as advertised.
                            It's like having a build limit on missions. Sometimes it feels like the game doesn't really know what it wants to be.

"Hey we know this is a game about building wicked cool forts with your friends, but if you have too much fun and aren't boring and utilitarian, we'll punish you. Okay have fun building those forts!"

Comment

Working...
                            X