X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State of Game: Progression

Hello Fortnite Community!

The amount of people who showed up and are playing Fortnite is pretty astounding! Our number one priority right now is to get players who are having trouble getting into the game, happily playing. Our team is working furiously to get any of these "last stand" Commanders back home and safely inside Fortnite.

So what about everyone else? Well, remember that whole thing about helping us with Early Access? Well, here you are, and we want to make the game better. Already our servers are gathering data on your play patterns and we are making sure we are always listening to what's going on out in the wild. One of the things we need help with, is our advancement and loot rates. There isn't a secret cabal of llama hating Illuminati out there who are trying to "trick" you into spending money on the game once you've played it for fifty hours. What there is however is a big RPG with lots of ins/outs.

What makes the problem interesting, and why we need the community's help, is there are a lot of confounding factors in the post 50+ hours experience. Is it the fact that we simply don't drop enough llamas? Is it because we haven't explained how survivors work well enough and how they can make Commanders powerful? Is it a difference between players who binge play, and players who play daily. We could go on here, but it'll probably put you to sleep.

There are rough spots in the game and they are going to be interesting problems to solve, and we hear you about them. Stick with us in Early Access and we will continue to make the game better, together.

On that note, we did want to give you some information on how to use some of the features in the game. We've even included a link from one of you explaining it!

This video created by Maka is awesome. He explains almost everything we say below.
    • Homebase Power is key
      • Unlock survivor slots - Survivor Squads account for the majority of your Homebase power. Make sure to slot matching leaders to squad, and then personalities to leaders when you can.
      • Level Up Uncommon (green) Survivors - They are an efficient way to gain power in Plankerton. Most of the XP is returned when you retire them. You need to spend survivor XP to gain power, don’t horde!
      • Slot and level up your Support and Tactical Heroes - These Heroes share their stats to the primary hero and provide significant boosts to health, shields, and ability damage. Even Uncommon Heroes are huge wins here.
      • Research provides power over time - Make sure to gather this every day and upgrade the F.O.R.T. stats and unlock Survivor slots.
      • Play missions for Drops of Rain and Survivor XP. You’ll need Drops of Rain for evolution, and you’ll need lots of Survivor XP to level all those Leads and Survivors.
      • Team up with others - Teaming up provides big boosts to Homebase power. A portion of your F.O.R.T. stats are shared with each party member.
    • How to pick appropriate difficulty missions
      • Your level for combat is based on three numbers - Homebase Power, Hero Power, Weapon Power - When all these match and you play a matching difficulty you will be on level for game.
      • If one of those numbers is below focus on improving that area.
      • What happens if you are off level? You need more bullets, you are more squishy, you build more to slow husks down, generally the game feels more grindy.
    • F.O.R.T. Stats Explained
      • Fortitude - Improves health. If you are getting killed too fast you may not have enough Fortitude.
      • Offense - Improves weapon damage, both melee and ranged. If it takes too long to kill husks, focus on Offense.
      • Resistance - Improves shield and shield regen. Best way to improve your survivability for quick moving players.
      • Tech - Improves ability damage, and traps. Key for Ninja’s skills, and players who use lots of traps.
      • F.O.R.T. stats are improved through Survivor Squads, Skill Tree, and Reasearch Tree. They are the primary driver of Homebase power.
    • Getting More Stuff
      • Mission Alerts - You may have noticed some zones with a little clock on them. These have better rewards that can be collected up to three times per day. Watch for these, they have Drops of Rain, XP, Schematics, and V-bucks in rare cases.
      • Dailies - You get one daily per day, you can have up three, and can abandon one per day and get a new one.
      • Quests - Look at the Quest Journal, there are quests that provide V-Bucks, Heroes, Schematics, Leads, and Survivors. Do these quests to help unlock things you need. As we iterate we’ll be adding more quests.
      • Expeditions - Send your extra Heroes out to find Survivors, rewards of these still require more balance, as a passive reward they provide a steady drip of Survivors.
      • Llamas - Purchased with V-Bucks, Earned from Outpost Defenses (Help a friend!), given as daily rewards either from the Founders Pack or from the Daily Reward progression.
      • Transform keys - Combine commons, and uncommons to get rares. When you’re ready start combining Survivors to get ones you need.
    Sincerely we are here together with you and want these systems to be awesome. Change will happen. Feedback is always appreciated and we are reading it!

Thank you

Darren and Zak
    Last edited by [EPIC] Flak; 07-28-2017, 11:21 AM.

Thanks for this. Glad to hear you guys actually say that yeah, it is still early access and yeah, some systems (not the least of which being loot and progression) are still works in progress. Maybe this will quiet some of the more discontented voices and lead to more useful, constructive posts about the areas of the game that need adjustment.

Comment

Im sure everyone is reeling from the console launch, and congrats on what Id imagine is its success.

one thought that occurred to me is that given the depth of the factors that affect play, its easy to focus on 'rewards' -- Im not sure what the solution here is, but in one review of the game that I read, there was a comment along the lines of 'it would be really good if it wasnt so deep' -- while I dont agree with the sentiment, I do wonder whether there might be better ways to express just 'how to play'.

Comment

I concur that it is a bit early to say too much, after all most of us are still working towards the end-game after all, also thanks for acknowledging player concerns quite quickly even if there isn't much to change right now, it is very much appreciated.
        It may have been a good call to not implement cash purchases for VBUCKS just yet to see how the game actually plays without money involved and make an informed decision later on what is working and what really feels stagnant without real money purchases.

Personally I have the 150$ edition and it has been going just fine for me, without some of the items I got I would see why there is reason to feedback the progression as rewards/xp don't come in at a satisfactory speed just from playing normally, especially since the missions that give VBUCKS take longer to complete each time but the reward doesn't increase proportionately.

I'm looking forward to continuing playing because the game is fun when on level regardless of the tacked on mobile-game progression system and this is after all subject to change based on community feedback.

Comment

Good read. Thanks

Comment

Many of us bought founders packs and have shiny purples/oranges that we've invested resources into that we may have found to be garbage, but I am sure I am not alone in going "heck no, Im not recycling my exclusive legendary hero even if I'm never going to play her again". So all that XP is gone. It seems like the way to play is to start out powerleveling greens/blues then recycle into purples then into oranges at the later levels. This would mean there is a constant stream of leveling up and progression.

I dont have that. I got a huge day one "pop" of stuff, then it trickled off into bits here and there. You can say this is my own fault, and I am not mad, but it does seem like I could have gotten more "power" more "consistently" had I spent 5-10 bucks a day for 25 days on llamas.

Couple this with the fact that you advertise loot splosions but those only happen for Llamas outside of game, and it gets depressing. I'm not even excited opening mini Llamas cause I just recycle all the **** to power other things. This feels like D3 at launch where you play the game to get gold to buy things in the AH that someone else found. Its efficient but not exciting.

This is how I would fix things:

1) Loot needs to drop in game. White/Green schematics should drop from the end game chest. Blues and higher should be rarer, with a better chance to get them the higher level of mission you run and the higher score you get. A maxed out chest should have a chance to drop better items. If you need to adjust how much it takes to level up items as a result of giving out more items so be it. I'd rather get steady progression than chunky progression like we have now.

2) Loot llamas should be cosmetic increases only, or provide "play the game" bonuses. Maybe you have a "double score" llama that helps you level up mission medals faster. Or one that gives you 50% more crafting mats. Maybe a "reveal the treasure chests" llama. Different color outfits for your hero not tied to class. Llamas that give you extra daily quests to do for loot. Llamas that give you more inventory slots, or an increase to research points. The XP boosts for you or the team are great too. Llamas could be "XP resetting" so if you dont like your level 25 Legendary Ramirez and want to instead play the shiny new Assassin Ken you just got, bam free XP reset without losing Ramirez.

3) Loot should be shared by everyone in the game equally. Your outlander should be a blessing rewarding the party with more loot, not the **** who ignores the mission objective to go solo hunt. Treasures/hidden objects should go into the end game reward chest and get divided randomly at the end.

4) Get rid of the collection book. Or overhaul it immensely. It should be something you passively level up as you acquire things, not something you actively level up by LOSING things. It should be FUN getting new items in the book not "ugh, I hope I dont need this later" stress. I lost a ton of early power as I am sure others did too because I realized my items were being destroyed but I didnt grasp that putting them in there meant I couldnt break them down to level things I need to level. My recommendation is lock the book immediately, give everyone back everything that went in there, and treat it like achievements not a garbage can. Alternatively, let there be a way to get items OUT of the collection book. I'm gonna get flamed saying "YOU KNEW WHAT YOU WERE DOING" but really, if I am collecting something should I "have it"? I dont have anything in there, its all "gone".

5) Re-tune expeditions. I dont need more wood. I would love to send some stalwart heroes out to find crafting mats, or schematics, or something actually useful. Maybe that changes later, but sending someone out for wood for 4 hours seems lame when i can fill up my bags with 999 in 5 minutes.

6) Money spent = in game perks. At some point let actual real life money spent on the game open up more ways to play. Make it so at certain dollar thresholds your account unlocks perks like "extra dailies", or "double mission rewards", or who knows what else. Nothing that a F2P player couldnt eventually earn in game, just the people giving you ACTUAL MONEY get less of a grind/wall. I would pay you 15 bucks a month for this game to get 25 v-coins at the end of every single mission.

In short, reward us for playing the game.

Comment

Question: Is there a preferred place or format to offer suggestions/constructive criticisms of the game? I didn't see a "suggestions" forum, I have seen a forum moderator pop into a few threads and mention using the in-game bug report/feedback menu though.

What is the most effective means of communicating our opinions to the dev team?

Comment

Is it possible to explain the transformation a bit better?

For example, in tier 2 research there is a hero transformation tech. Does this mean I can put in Heroes I don't want and transform them into a new one? Is this random? Can I get higher quality?

Comment

Good read and honestly much needed. Up until this morning I honestly just never bothered or cared about the survivors. It's not at all communicated n game as to why I should care about them and how tremendous an impact they have on the game itself. Hell I STILL think it'd be better off to scrap the entire "Facebook game" system with survivors and pool them into a resource/currency for upgrades/activities in your home base.

There's just a whole lot of greatness in the actual MISSIONS whereas everything outside of that is really REALLY unintuitive, overwhelming, and frankly boring. I'm about to enter Plankerton so I'll see how much of a brick wall it really does feel like first hand but safe to say I sincerely hope things change when it comes to the massive menu mess & systems between missions.

Comment

Shall we just ignore the elephant in the room. The challenges which gives bucks stop at level 10. 50v bucks a day and a Llama every other day seems reasonable to you?

Comment

Any insight on the philosophy behind the trophies? Some of them are extremely grindy. 10,000 survivors? 20,000 mist monsters? 500,000 structures? They seem very demanding, especially with no way to track progress. Any plans to allow us to track progress towards trophies? What counts for each of these? Do the Polaroid survivors count? Is it shared with the other three players? Thanks.

Comment

As long as there is plans to make loot come from other things then Llamas I am happy to invest in the game. But I am having a bit of a trust issue with you guys right now. The advertisements for both the vault which stated they carried crafting materials, and the advertisement about piles of loot has left a very bad taste in my mouth. In short you have broken the trust and it will take more then just words to repair that feeling. This is even more true because right now we are in a world where game developers have been using these types of tactics more and more and getting away with it.

Comment

In my opinion thus far, it feels as if there's simply too much going on in the game. So much so that it feels like it's all over the place and not at all very well explained. A friend of mine whom I played A LOT of Orcs Must Die with seemed to grow tired of this game very rapidly when I thought it would be right up our alley.

1. The whole player level ordeal is confusing to say the least. Do we really need it to be based off of 3 different powers? Why not just have the Homebase Power as a sort of measurement how long a player has been playing the game and/or progressed? Hero Power to decide the current power of the player's loadout?

2. Survivors. We absolutely HATE these guys. Having to set up what feels like a thousand different squads and mix and match survivors left and right. It's a timesink, it's boring. It's annoying. It's awful.

3. Defenders. They're useless, they use a weapon of yours and absolutely eat up ALL your ammo. Fine, it's cool that we can equip them with a weapon - but don't make us give them ammo as they waste it like crazy.

4. Quest progression isn't always shared, in a co-op game this is a pretty big design flaw. In terms of the Homebase Defense I can sort of understand it as it's used to show off a new monster and work on your base a bit. But having to play a Homebase Defense like 3 or 4 times in a row is REALLY boring. If we did it in a party with a friend, give us the option to skip it perhaps?

5. Inventory management is a bother, interface is okay but not great - constantly fills up with random ****.

6. Can craft in-game but not in the menus. Can level up schematics in the menus but not in-game. Lots of stuff like this that just doesn't feel intuitive. Can't even see your crafting materials at the main menu...? Or maybe I haven't found it yet.

There's just so much going on it just ends up feeling overly and unnecessarily complicated when it really shouldn't nor has to be. I understand the attempt to try and fill it with lots of content - but you're overdoing it.

That said neither of us hate the game, it just gets very tiring after a while to keep track of all this.

Comment

Originally posted by NecrologyX View Post
                            Many of us bought founders packs and have shiny purples/oranges that we've invested resources into that we may have found to be garbage, but I am sure I am not alone in going "heck no, Im not recycling my exclusive legendary hero even if I'm never going to play her again". So all that XP is gone. It seems like the way to play is to start out powerleveling greens/blues then recycle into purples then into oranges at the later levels. This would mean there is a constant stream of leveling up and progression.

I dont have that. I got a huge day one "pop" of stuff, then it trickled off into bits here and there. You can say this is my own fault, and I am not mad, but it does seem like I could have gotten more "power" more "consistently" had I spent 5-10 bucks a day for 25 days on llamas.

Couple this with the fact that you advertise loot splosions but those only happen for Llamas outside of game, and it gets depressing. I'm not even excited opening mini Llamas cause I just recycle all the **** to power other things. This feels like D3 at launch where you play the game to get gold to buy things in the AH that someone else found. Its efficient but not exciting.
                            I have to agree with this. Even if you're looking for rare items buying the equivalent amount of V-bucks then waiting for the rare deal of the day Lamas would net you far more useful items. I was really enjoying the game so I figured that it was worth investing in, but after learning how all the systems work I can't help but feel ripped off. Add to that how difficult it is to gain v-bucks after you finish the challenges doesn't make me feel much better (I've seen 1 mission that awarded V-bucks since launch and it was only for 20 which seems utterly worthless) as the balance of loot progression seemed okay in the early game but it stops as soon as you really need it which is the progression wall that most people are worried about and it's hard not to feel bad about the amount I've spent on the game already.

Comment

• recoilepoch commented
                              Editing a comment
                              This game went from open world adventure fort building to pay to play mobile behind the scenes. I want my $40 back.

I'm not sure why descriptions of the four main stats aren't in the game (or am I missing something?). I had no idea that tech damage was so important for Ninjas (my main class). That said, I appreciate the explanations, as I definitely learned a few things. One thing I haven't seen anywhere is the fact that you get more rewards and 20% more XP for helping strangers. This is an awesome way to get the "stuff" you need to progress, and it's really fun to visit other people's bases to see how they built them!

Comment

Working...
                            X