Make custom matches available!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Make custom matches available!

Topic really says it all.

Alot of communities are demanding the function. Its allready in the game - so let PC players, PS4 players and Xbox plays create custom matches!

And could you propose how it’d work? Games like fortnite who require high number count to be able to play a match can’t even allow for a game mode they created to stay for too long cause they know if they do the the players playing on solo, squad, duos some might go to that game mode and not comeback, splitting people even more causing matches to not completely fill, we get min people in a match of say 94 for it to start but if what you suggest is implemented then main game modes will have lesser people requiring the match to start on say 75 or 80 people, the servers won’t be filing up. Bad for a game that requires people to be concentrated around a few game modes.

Comment

Originally posted by Impendium View Post
      And could you propose how it’d work? Games like fortnite who require high number count to be able to play a match can’t even allow for a game mode they created to stay for too long cause they know if they do the the players playing on solo, squad, duos some might go to that game mode and not comeback, splitting people even more causing matches to not completely fill, we get min people in a match of say 94 for it to start but if what you suggest is implemented then main game modes will have lesser people requiring the match to start on say 75 or 80 people, the servers won’t be filing up. Bad for a game that requires people to be concentrated around a few game modes.
      I can see your point, but I dont believe this will be an issue. There are alot of games constantly in progress.

Making custom games will not be something people will do all of the time - since it would require coordination from around 80+ people. While you are in gong into a game, experiencing only 84 or 90 people joining, is due to login issues, matchmaking algorithms etc. The fact is, while you are waiting for that game to fill up - just in those 10-30 seconds before the game starts, 100+ other games a currently starting. Fortnite Battle Royale is immensely populair. On twitch, only LoL has more viewers atm.

I can make a suggestion on how it'd work - but the custom game function is allready implemented, just not available to consoles yet, and currently disabled on PC. What I ask, is that the gamemode is made available to consoles and PC.

How it works:

You enter a party, and enter a key before readying up. Now: everyone with that key, will end up in a match together.

Due to the huge amount of players - this will not be something that'll be noticleable for the general public or have any impact on the amount of players ending up in public games. You simply wont have games with lesser people in the matches. Instead of 762 game lobbys pr. minute created in Fornite with 90+ people - you will maybe have 758 games with 90+ people.

Custom games will not be a widely populair thing to do all night long due to the time it takes for a game to end. If you die - you have to wait till the whole game is over. This will mostly be an occational thing on communities or LAN events, where single organisted custom matches every other hour. Lets say a twitch streamer, a community forum or a LAN even wants to host a battle. This will take planning and signup for other parties to ensure enough players enter on the same time.

The system was populair and was used for competetive gaming in their MOBA Paragon.

Disabling stats and quest progress during these matches is an obvious choice.

Next is the question of ghosting. Dying should force people to either leave the match entirely, or watch a delayed version of the match due to competative reasons.

Comment

I see what you are saying but, apologies, I disagree with it. I will backup all the disagreements I have about it aswell as disclosing any assumptions blatantly, so we can have a clear argument with little misunderstanding.
        Ok, I'll start by saying that I did make an assumption in my last reply when saying 'players will be playing custom games, leading to players being lost in the main game', the assumption was the mistake I thought of the custom matches like the ones in Overwatch, like the custom lobbies are open for anyone to join. You clarified in your argument that a code will be generated by the person who starts the lobby and for anyone to join the other player(s) will have to obtain that code to join, which made me realise my mistake. So basically saying people wont be going through a list of lobbies people have created but just having an option to make a custom game and give the code to anyone you want to.
        Assumption: No one knows 99 other people to send a code to, to allow for a full custom match lobby. Essentially no one knows a large number of people (not necessarily need to fill a lobby) to want to play a custom match.
        Moving on from that, from this perspective it doesn't seem like a mode that will be very enjoyed or played again and again to push them to dedicate servers to it.
        There is however a reasonable argument form the perspective for someone to make a custom lobby to allow their friends (5 or 6 or 7 or 13) (low amount) to join and face them without having to mow down unknown players and allowing for direct access for players to join each other instead of trying to join a solo match at the same time and hoping that it happens to be the one that their friend(s) joined. And just have a match to find out who is the better player!! (I know I would).
        You, mentioned that instead of running 762 games EPIC can will lower the amount of lobbies open and play 758. Both my and your argument are polar assumptions and can't be proven until we have the numbers from EPIC games. The assumption from me was that there are small amount of people playing fortnite BR (because there are other games: single player and PVP types that people will be playing) and making a new game mode and letting it be there for long periods of time will cause the number in the lobbies to drop (assuming the lobbies running are already at their lowest). Your assumption is that there are loads of people playing fortnite so if people were to move from one game mode to another there won't be enough of a lack of players to cause a 'dent' in the main modes. As far as we know by official numbers 20,000,000 players have signed up to fortnite across all platforms and 2.000.000 concurrent players (the last time EPIC disclosed the numbers and no update since). Your assumption doesn't take into account that we don't know how many players are playing PC-PS4-Xbox, could making custom matches actually 'dent' one of these consoles players for the main modes, because this could hold EPIC from releasing for all platforms. And that these players are split up between servers in the east and west USA, European servers and then Asian servers. So not only are we divided by consoles aswell as servers. But since we don't have the numbers we can't push our arguments saying they are right because that's just our opinion. And not everyone is on at the same time because daytime or nitetime comes and goes at different rates for people around the world, although we are split up into servers so people in European servers won't be awake at the same time Russians will be awake before the French, which is before the English. Assuming they dont play 'all day' so when the english come back in the evening to play the Russians will be preparing to go to asleep. There will be PEAK times for EPIC servers in any day and those numbers will be different between weekdays and weekends.
        The entire argument hinges on the two ideas i mentioned above:
        There is however a reasonable argument form the perspective for someone to make a custom lobby to allow their friends (5 or 6 or 7 or 13) (low amount) to join and face them without having to mow down unknown players and allowing for direct access for players to join each other instead of trying to join a solo match at the same time and hoping that it happens to be the one that their friend(s) joined. And just have a match to find out who is the better player!! (I know I would).
        And at the end of the day its EPICs decision whether they want to implement it either because they 'felt like it' or because they got a better argument for implementing it than not, backed by facts and figures of their player base.

Comment

First - thanks alot for a good reply. I'll respond in sections
          Assumption: No one knows 99 other people to send a code to, to allow for a full custom match lobby. Essentially no one knows a large number of people (not necessarily need to fill a lobby) to want to play a custom match.
          Customs games isn't something you do with your friends. Due to the fact that you are right - noone knows 99 people who are ready right now to fill a lobby. Custom matches will proberly only be relevant to communities or outher groups who can beforehand organise 99 players. There are alot of communities out there. For example - I am from Denmark, and we have a very active danish fortnite group (3000+ members who are very active). It would be very relevant for the group to arrange a weekly danish brawl.

It could be organised that people opt in beforehand and sign their team up. Every sunday at 19:30 - the facebook organiser would post the password to the 24 teamleaders who then sign their squad up. Within a few minutes, the game is on.

Or a LAN party, where custom matches are held once every other hour.

Moving on from that, from this perspective it doesn't seem like a mode that will be very enjoyed or played again and again to push them to dedicate servers to it.
          I think you misunderstand the technical aspects of the concept. You dont have dedicated servers for each match or lobbies. One server can run several matches with alot of players, or it could run even more matches with fewer players. There is no issue of dedicating servers here. They dont dedicate servers to special events, like sniper-mode etc. Every lobby in every gamemode starts on the server with the biggest free capacity at the current moment.

You have a point in preventing people from random running around in small groups. i.e. 5, 6, 7 or 13 people in big match. This is something that would change the feel of the game entirely. In the aspiration of keeping people playing big matches instead of making matches where people face off 3v3 or something like that - you could restrain a match to a minimum of 60 or 70 players. In Paragon, you could only do a custom match with a full team (ie. 5v5). So you couldn't play 1v1 or 2v2.

The division of the playerbase on servers isn't correct. The same servers handle all platforms (gamewise, not login) - consoles and PC - which is why all are affected on downtime that is stress-related and not login related.

Comment

• MutluMahalleli commented
            Editing a comment
            So if I get you right, you do not need special key from epic ? All you need is enough players to fill the loby like 90+ ?

Customs games isn't something you do with your friends. Due to the fact that you are right - noone knows 99 people who are ready right now to fill a lobby. Custom matches will proberly only be relevant to communities or outher groups who can beforehand organise 99 players. There are alot of communities out there. For example - I am from Denmark, and we have a very active danish fortnite group (3000+ members who are very active). It would be very relevant for the group to arrange a weekly danish brawl.

It could be organised that people opt in beforehand and sign their team up. Every sunday at 19:30 - the facebook organiser would post the password to the 24 teamleaders who then sign their squad up. Within a few minutes, the game is on.

Or a LAN party, where custom matches are held once every other hour.
          This is such a good idea that EPIC should look to arrange this for countries/local areas each week. Doing this will surely ignite an interest in the game. Also they should maybe change the spectator mode and do something different with it so people can pop in to watch intense fights live. The best of a country or city, fighting it out.

I think you misunderstand the technical aspects of the concept. You dont have dedicated servers for each match or lobbies. One server can run several matches with alot of players, or it could run even more matches with fewer players. There is no issue of dedicating servers here. They dont dedicate servers to special events, like sniper-mode etc. Every lobby in every gamemode starts on the server with the biggest free capacity at the current moment.

You have a point in preventing people from random running around in small groups. i.e. 5, 6, 7 or 13 people in big match. This is something that would change the feel of the game entirely. In the aspiration of keeping people playing big matches instead of making matches where people face off 3v3 or something like that - you could restrain a match to a minimum of 60 or 70 players. In Paragon, you could only do a custom match with a full team (ie. 5v5). So you couldn't play 1v1 or 2v2.

The division of the playerbase on servers isn't correct. The same servers handle all platforms (gamewise, not login) - consoles and PC - which is why all are affected on downtime that is stress-related and not login related.
          Listen, I'm not at all in the computer or tech industry so the knowledge about computers I have is very little, as much as the average user probably, but I do know it costs to maintain servers (or get more servers online) so there is a chance that EPIC could ask for a small fee to play custom games on either their servers (they own) or the servers (they are renting servers and landspace to keep servers from someone else), so it might not entirely be free.
          As far as comparing Paragon to Fortnite. It's an unfair comparison, I think, because Paragon was a MOBA, a tower defence style MOBA. I don't know if other MOBA's have a 1v1, but having a 1v1 in a moba seems like a failed thing. Llke there are three lanes and if its a 1v1 then either you pick different lanes and dedicate to them meaning its the person who gets to the otherside first to win or if you pick the same lane then its almost like a stalemate because if either of you change lanes then the other person is going to run up that lane and win.
          Fortnite falls into the category of COD, timesplitters, uncharted online, like shooters. And in those games you could have a 1v1, 2v2 and so forth then why can't you here, I mean they can implement it or not.
          Again I don't know a lot about technology but the way you represent servers is as if they are compact htings, but the picture i've seen they can be massive. They take up human sized cabinets and can take up an office building floor for something a lot for people use.
          Last edited by Impendium; 02-06-2018, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Hi how are toy

Comment

i vote for bringing it i even made my own forum on it!!

Comment

When is fortnite coming in andriod

Comment

Can I have a matchmaking code? Please thanks

Comment

Can I have custom code

Comment

Hey I want to hold a tournament I want to do custom matchmaking if I can have some codes please and thx keep do an amazing job on the game

Comment

Give me a custom matching key and then email me damiensuarez002@gmail.com

Comment

i want to have a created code

Comment

i want to have a created code

Comment

Working...
                            X