To help troubleshoot when problems occur with the Epic Games launcher, members of the Player Support team will ask you for your launcher debug logs. Please note that while these logs are very similar to the default logs that are automatically generated by the launcher, and even appear in the same directory, they are not the same. Debug logs include some extra information that is often critical to diagnosing issues. To generate your debug logs use one of the following methods for PC or Mac below.
Method one: From Inside the Launcher
This method assumes you are able to open the launcher and navigate to the main window. If you are not able to open the launcher, use Method 2 for PC or Method 3 for Mac.
- Click on the Player Profile Icon and click Settings.
- If you are unable to sign in, you can click Go Offline to access the main window.
- Under Preferences select Enable debug logging a pop-up will appear and select Enable Now unless your issue occurs at launch then select Restart.
- Reproduce the issue you’re experiencing while the debug logging is on.
- After reproducing your issue, go back to Settings and select Show Logs
- Close the launcher.
Method two: From Outside the Launcher
- Right-Click on the Epic Games Launcher desktop shortcut.
- Select Properties.
- Select the Shortcut tab.
- Add -debuglogging to the end of the file path in the target field.
- Make sure there is a space between the file path and the dash.
- Click Apply.
- Open the launcher by double-clicking your desktop shortcut.
- Reproduce your issue, then close the launcher.
- After you have closed the launcher, remove the -debuglogging command from the target field.
- Navigate to your log files. They should be in the following location: C:\Users\[YourUserNameHere]\AppData\Local\EpicGamesLauncher\Saved\Logs
- The AppData folder is hidden by default. If you are unable to see it, please use this Microsoft support article to view hidden folders.
- Open a terminal and enter the following line: open /Applications/Epic\ Games\ Launcher.app --args -debuglogging
- This will start the launcher. Allow it to run normally until your issue has been reproduced.
- Once you have reproduced the issue, close the launcher.
- In your terminal, enter the following line: open /Users/[YourUserNameHere]/Library/Logs/Unreal\ Engine/EpicGamesLauncher
- In the resulting window, right click on the EpicGamesLauncher folder and choose Compress "EpicGamesLauncher"
Once you have your logs generated attach them to your support ticket if you have one and we’ll be happy to help you further.