Psyonix is a video game developer best known for Rocket League, the award-winning game that combines soccer, driving, and highly competitive gameplay. As part of the Epic Games family, we are an industry-leading game studio rooted in a crunch-free philosophy that emphasizes an amazing employee experience, located in the heart of San Diego. For nearly 20 years, we have been a driving force behind some of the most successful games in the industry, including Gears of War, Mass Effect 3, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Bulletstorm, Unreal Tournament III and Unreal Tournament 2004.
The Psyonix Online Services team is looking for a smart, creative Online Services Intern to join us in 2022. Our Interns are given challenging projects over the work term, and are provided with a meaningful experience with high expectations for performance. If you want to build something Epic, this is the opportunity for you!
Psyonix is a subsidiary of Epic Games located in downtown San Diego. Best known for Rocket League, the award-winning and highly competitive game/esport, we are an industry-leading game studio rooted in a crunch-free philosophy that emphasizes a healthy work-life balance.
We are looking for qualified, self-motivated Software Engineering Interns to help us build and maintain PsyNet - the online backend that powers Rocket League (as well as other upcoming projects). Ideal candidates should have some experience or knowledge of designing, programming, and maintaining backend software systems using modern technologies and best practices.
As a member of the Online Services team at Psyonix, you will contribute in one or more of the following ways:
- Game Features - Whether for Rocket League or other projects, you will build, deploy, and maintain the backend API, applications, and core tech that powers gameplay features, including player rank/progression systems, in-game item drop systems, monetization systems, matchmaking, authentication, and many more. You’ll collaborate with other teams, including Game Design, Game Client / UI Engineers, QA and others, in order to deliver the best possible experience to our players.
- Admin Tools - You will build, deploy, and maintain an essential suite of administrative tools that empower various in-house departments and key external partners to directly and securely interact with PsyNet to control game features and analyze player activity. You’ll leverage an understanding of both game features and studio processes to deliver solutions that improve user experience and increase studio efficiency.
- DevOps - You will contribute to the delivery, scalability, and reliability of our backend platform serving millions of concurrent world-wide users. You will utilize modern DevOps, SRE, and CI/CD practices to engineer systems and processes that automate/minimize operational toil and drive proactive infrastructure improvements to optimize our operational efficiency.
- Computer Science degree or related discipline.
- Analytical thought process and strong problem-solving skills desired.
- Demonstrable proficiency in object oriented programing - Java or Scala preferred.
- Backend development experience required.
- Knowledge and interest in networking, distributed systems, REST, and back-end services
- Coding/software engineering proficiency relevant to at least one of the areas described above
- Experience, education, or other familiarity with designing, developing, testing, and maintaining web services/microservices and APIs
- Ability to communicate technical concepts verbally and in writing
- Proficiency with C#, PHP, or Go
- Mongo DB experience
- Cloud experience
- Docker experience
- Kubernetes experience
- Familiarity with SRE principles
This is a remote, paid internship for 2022 with a flexible start date. Recruitment will be ongoing until teams find an ideal match. For more information about Epic Internships, visit Epicgames.com/students.
This is going to be Epic!