Psyonix is a video game developer best known for Rocket League, the award-winning game that combines soccer, driving, and highly competitive gameplay. As part of the Epic Games family, we are an industry-leading game studio rooted in a crunch-free philosophy that emphasizes an amazing employee experience, located in the heart of San Diego. For nearly 20 years, we have been a driving force behind some of the most successful games in the industry, including Gears of War, Mass Effect 3, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Bulletstorm, Unreal Tournament III and Unreal Tournament 2004.
What we do
Psyonix, located in downtown San Diego, is seeking a 3D Animator – Cinematics to join our Video Production team to work on Rocket League! This opportunity is ideal for a highly creative, multi-disciplined 3D artist who has a broad knowledge of 3D art ranging from modeling and animation, to VFX and cinematics.
What you will do
You will work closely with an array of teams including video, audio, marketing, art and design to develop and build content for trailers, marketing videos, and other video related content to grow the Rocket League brand. You will be responsible for creating 3D assets to maintain and strengthen the production value of our video and cinematic content. Our ideal candidate must be collaborative and self-driven.
In this role, you will
- Create 3D cinematic videos to completion including scene building, animation, modeling, lighting and VFX to deliver approved concepts
- Create compelling scenes paying close attention to pacing, camera work, sense of motion, action and atmosphere
- Learn the basics of building from in-game assets such as replays and gameplay capture for usage in video content
- Work closely with directors, leads and artists across multiple departments to brainstorm and pitch ideas for trailers and other cinematic projects
- Quickly concept and communicate ideas to show to relevant stakeholders for approval
- Help to advance the visual style, themes and brand identity for all Psyonix titles
- Maintain a continued organized archive of scenes, shots and 3D assets for internal and external use
What we're looking for
- 3+ years of experience in the video game, entertainment and/or advertising industry.
- A broad knowledge in 3D production software such as Unreal Engine 4, Blender, Maya, 3ds Max, or other related programs.
- Creative and technical skills as a 3D generalist; capable of scene building, camera work, animating, modeling, lighting and visual effects.
- An excellent understanding of cinematography, timing, and visual storytelling.
- A strong 3D art portfolio or demo reel displaying applicable work.
- Deep knowledge of cinematic and video pipelines.
- Experience with editing and post-production software such as Premiere Pro and After Effects or other related software.
- A talent for cinematics and the ability to be creative while working closely with a team.
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously and prioritize tasks
- Ability to take direction and incorporate feedback
- Balance quality and efficiency while working under tight deadlines
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in film/games or related field
- Additional knowledge in Unreal Engine 3, Cinema 4D or other additional 3D related software
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to understand how the cinematics would be received by our audience
- Understanding and knowledge of marketing
- Has a for passion Rocket League and video games in general