Psyonix is a video game developer best known for Rocket League, the award-winning game that combines soccer, driving, and highly competitive gameplay. As part of the Epic Games family, we are an industry-leading game studio rooted in a crunch-free philosophy that emphasizes an amazing employee experience, located in the heart of San Diego. For nearly 20 years, we have been a driving force behind some of the most successful games in the industry, including Gears of War, Mass Effect 3, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Bulletstorm, Unreal Tournament III and Unreal Tournament 2004.
What we do
Psyonix and Epic are looking for a 3D Environment Artist to join our Video Production team to work on Rocket League! This opportunity is ideal for a highly creative, multi-disciplined 3D environment artist who has a broad knowledge of 3D art ranging from modeling, texturing, lighting and environment VFX.
What you will do
You will work closely with an array of teams including video, art, audio, marketing and design to develop and build cinematic assets for trailers, marketing videos, and other video related content to grow the Rocket League brand. You will be responsible for creating and maintaining 3D assets and strengthen the production value of our video and cinematic content. Our ideal candidate must be collaborative and self-driven.
In this role, you will
- Create and maintain 3D cinematic models and environments including 3D scenes, props, animation, modeling, lighting and VFX to deliver approved concepts
- Create compelling scenes, paying close attention to pacing, camera work, sense of motion, action and atmosphere
- Learn the basics of building from in-game assets such as replays and gameplay capture for usage in video content
- Work closely with directors, leads and artists across multiple departments to brainstorm and pitch ideas for trailers and other cinematic projects
- Quickly Concept and communicate ideas to show to relevant stakeholders for approval
- Help to advance the visual style, themes and brand identity for all Psyonix titles
- Maintain a continued organized archive of scenes, shots and 3D assets for internal and external use.
- Support the video production pipeline with any additional video related tasks.
What we're looking for
- 3+ years of experience in the video game, entertainment and/or advertising industry
- A strong skillset in 3D production software such as Unreal Engine 4, Blender, Maya, 3ds Max, or other related programs
- A strong 3D art portfolio or demo reel displaying applicable work. The world of Rocket league is a future tech space, hard surface modeling will be super helpful
- Creative and technical skills as a 3D generalist; capable of scene building, camera work, animating, modeling, lighting and visual effects
- An excellent understanding of cinematography, timing, and visual storytelling
- Deep knowledge of cinematic and video pipelines. Experience with editing and post-production software such as Premiere Pro and After Effects or other related software.
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously and prioritize tasks.
- Ability to take direction and incorporate feedback.
- Balance quality and efficiency while working under tight deadlines.
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in film/games or related field.
- Additional knowledge in Unreal Engine 3, Cinema 4D or other related 3D software.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to understand how the cinematics would be received by our audience.
- Understanding and knowledge of marketing!
- Has a passion for Rocket League and video games in general