Information We Collect or ReceiveWe generally collect or receive information in three ways: (1) you voluntarily provide information to us, such as by creating an account, making purchases, or signing up for email alerts, (2) we collect information automatically, such as through cookies or through use of our games and other software, and (3) other parties, such as social networks, may provide information to us. Each of these methods is described in more detail below.
(1) Information You Voluntarily Choose to Provide
You may provide your personal information to us when you choose to use our websites, games, game engines, or applications. Because we change our offerings and features from time to time, the options you have to provide us with information also may change. The following are some examples of situations in which you may provide information to us:
- Creating an account to use our websites, online services, software, or applications;
- Licensing and downloading our games or game engines;
- Using a social feature of our games or applications (described further in the section of this policy titled “When You Use Social Features of Our Games and Applications”);
- Purchasing something from us or otherwise engage in a transaction with us;
- Entering online competitions or registering for or participate in special events;
- Entering contests or sweepstakes, participating in any of our promotions, or accepting any prizes from us;
- Signing up for email alerts or subscribing to receive other information from us;
- Complete a survey;
- Using a mobile device, such as a phone, to play our games or use our applications;
- Contacting us for any reason, such as by email, including for technical support or customer service.
The personal information we collect from you will vary depending on the services you are using, the websites you are visiting, and how you access those services and websites. The information you provide to us may include your name, your display name, and your email address(es). If you choose to make a purchase, we will collect payment card information such as your card’s payment account number and expiration date. Sometimes we ask for your phone number, your postal address, your billing address, your date of birth, and your gender. Some of our websites also provide a feature that supports job applications, in which case we also ask for your resume.
(2) Information Collected Automatically When You Use Our Websites, Games, and Applications
We collect some information automatically when you visit our websites or use our games, game engines, and applications. If a combination of information that we collect does identify you as an individual, we will treat the combined information as personal information. We typically aggregate the data that we collect automatically and use it in statistical form to determine trends among groups of users, rather than using it to identify individuals. We collect information automatically through technologies such as web browsers, cookies, log files, web beacons, and our back-end servers collect usage data transmitted from our games and other software. We use the information for purposes such as modifying or improving features, managing advertising, addressing technical issues, preventing fraud, and conducting data analytics. The type of information that we automatically collect may vary, but generally includes:
- Technical information about your computer, device, hardware, or software you use to access the Internet or our services, such as IP address or other transactional or identifier information for your device (such as device make and model, information about device operating systems and browsers, or other device or system related specifications);
- Usage information and statistics about your interaction with our websites, games, game engines, and applications, which may include the URLs of our websites that you have visited, URLs of referring and exiting pages, page views, time spent on a page, number of clicks, platform type, the application you used or the game you played, how long you used or played it and when, and other usage statistics;
- Crash reports, which may be automatically generated when a game or application crashes and includes information about your system and the crash;
- Information that facilitates a safer and more personalized experience, such as your display name or other user identification provided in connection with your application use or game play, saved preferences, game progress, and device identifiers or usage information for authentication and fraud prevention purposes;
- The location of your device, such as may be derived from your device’s IP address.
Please note that if certain features on our website are provided by third parties, those third parties may also use automated means of data collection and may record information about your use of our website or others’ websites over time. These features are subject to those third parties’ privacy notices and policies.
(3) Information We Receive from Others
In some cases, other parties provide us with information about you, or allow us to collect information about you. We generally collect or receive information from other parties in three ways: (1) you use our games or applications at a website that is not controlled by us, such as a game console or social network, (2) you choose to use a social feature of our games or applications, and (3) you purchase one of our games or applications from another party. In some cases, we are not able to control the amount or type of information that other parties like social networks, make available to us. In those cases, we use only the data that we need to provide the types of services we think our users want and expect. Although we cannot control your privacy settings at those websites or how those other parties protect your privacy, once we receive information about you through those websites, we will treat it in accordance with this policy.
When You Use Our Games and Applications at Third Party Websites
When you use any Epic game, application, or feature at a website not controlled by Epic, such as a social network, that website may allow Epic access to certain information about you. For example, social networks may provide us with information from your profile on their website such as contact information, demographics, and other information you provided to that website such as your photo, user name, and potentially any and all information that you agreed the social network or other party could provide to us when you use our games and applications.
When You Use Social Features of Our Games and Applications
When you choose to use a social feature of our games and applications, you allow Epic to receive information about you from social networks. Our social features promote and facilitate interaction among players, such as by allowing you and your friends to work together to meet a shared challenge presented by our game or application. You may be able to use these features to find out if your friends are actively playing the game and using the feature, to find out if they used it in the past, and to invite them to join with you to meet a game challenge. If you choose to use one of our social features, you may be asked to log into a social network through our game or application. The social network may then provide Epic with information such as your social network user ID, your profile picture, and the user IDs and profile pictures of your connections.
When You Buy Our Games and Applications from Other Parties
We may also receive information about you from the organizations that sell our games or applications, or which provided the gaming system you use. Those parties may provide us with information regarding your account or registration, but they do not give us your payment information. Because those organizations determine what information they will collect from you, it may vary according to their services, but it is likely to include information such as your name, email address, user ID, location, and date of birth.
How We Use and Share InformationAs a general matter, we use your information to provide the services, experiences, merchandise, or information you request. We also may use your information:
- To communicate with you, respond to your requests, or provide you with updates and information;
- To better understand our users, their interests, and their preferences;
- To personalize your experience, save your preferences, authenticate our users, and provide similar user-experience features;
- To develop, deliver, and improve our products, services, and other offerings;
- To enforce our licenses, agreements, and terms of service;
- To manage and customize advertisements or promotional offers;
- For security purposes;
- For internal purposes such as auditing and data analysis.
We may share, or provide you with opportunities to share, information about you with other users of our websites, games, game engines, and applications as described in this policy. We also provide services that allow our users to communicate with Epic and each other, in which case personal information may be shared and account IDs may be displayed. We may share personal information we collect within our family of companies. We also will share information with service providers that perform services on our behalf and under our instructions. These service providers are not authorized by us to use or disclose the information except as necessary to perform services on our behalf or comply with legal requirements. We also may share certain limited information, such as device identifiers, with advertisers and other marketing partners for purposes of gauging the effectiveness of advertising and other marketing strategies. We may share information about you with your social network contacts when you and they use the same social features of our games and applications. We may also disclose information about you: (i) if we are required to do so by law, legal process, or a reasonable request from law enforcement authorities or other government officials, (ii) when we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to prevent physical harm or financial loss or in connection with an investigation of suspected or actual illegal activity, or (iii) if necessary to protect the vital interests of another individual (such as to prevent death, bodily harm, or serious damage to property). We reserve the right to transfer information about our users in the event we sell or transfer all or substantially all our business or assets.
Your ChoicesWe provide you with choices about whether to provide us with personal information and whether it is shared. For example, we have to ask you before we can use your personal information for any purpose incompatible with the purposes identified in this policy. Other examples of your choices include:
- You can browse our website without providing any personal information. We may collect some limited information automatically, as described above.
- You may opt out of receiving our messages at any time by using the opt-out mechanism provided in the message.
- You can choose not to give us all the information we request, as described in the “Information You Voluntarily Choose to Provide” section of this policy. In some cases, if you decide not to provide the information we request, we will not be able to provide the game, application, service, information, or features you requested.
- You can change your privacy settings on other parties’ websites, such as social networks, which will stop or limit our receipt of information from those other websites. You also may choose not to use social features we make available. If you choose to use these features, you should refrain from posting personal information that will be visible to others, such as including your email address in a forum or during a chat.
- You may change your browser settings or take other steps to block, manage, or delete cookies. Not all of our websites and online services currently respond to browser “do not track” signals, so you will need to use your browser settings to effectively manage cookies. In some cases, blocking or disabling cookies may cause our websites, games, and applications not to work as intended and some features may not be available.
- You can limit interest-based advertising by opting out at www.aboutads.info/choices/ or www.networkadvertising.org/choices/. If you are located in Europe, more information is available at www.youronlinechoices.eu/.
- If you are under the age of 18 and have an account for our websites, mobile apps, game engines, games, or other online services, you may request that we remove certain content that you provided, such as deleting or editing comments you have posted. You also may ask us to assist you in removing or anonymizing content you have posted by contacting us as described in the How to Contact us section of this policy. Please be aware that taking these steps may not ensure complete or comprehensive removal of the content or information posted on our websites, online services, applications, or games. We also may not be able to remove content you post if applicable law requires us to maintain the posting or if another party has re-posted the content to a website, app, game or other online service that we do not own or control.
You may also exercise and amend your choices by sending an email to us as detailed in the “How to Contact Us” section below.