PDA

View Full Version : The picmip is real

mad1Z
09-06-2014, 11:18 PM
I checked the console commands to make ut4 look like crap ;)
some useful settings I found:
r.bloomquality 0
r.simpledynamiclighting 0/1
r.mobileHDR 0/1
r.ambientoclusion... for better cornervisibility
r.shadowquality 0-3
r.reflectionenvironment 0

and the most effective for textures:
r.texturestreaming
after the map has loaded set it to 1 and then again to 0

additional settings from thread:

- r.ExposureOffset 2/3 alternative to gamma
- change gamma and set maxframerates
located in UnrealTournament-Client-XAN-..\WindowsNoEditor\UnrealTournament\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\Engine.ini

[/Script/UnrealTournament.UTGameEngine]
bFirstRun=False
DisplayGamma=3
FrameRateCap=120
FrameRateMinimum=60

even if you have a 60Hz monitor, there is a significant input lag if you limit your frames to 60 compared to 120 or higher. so try to get the highest STABLE framerate you can get. Problem is you will get screen tearing. If anyone can find a way to get a tearingfree picture and low inputlag please tell me. As an alternative if you have an nvidia card you can limit your frames with nvidiainspector which is highly recommended.

I hope Epic won't allow such "picmip" settings in the final game or else every "pro gamer" will use them to get an advantage.

Also recorded some testing
excuse the music.. ;) (just mute if you don't like this kind of music)
at 5:30 the playerskins remind me a lot of the brightskins in the "old days".
http://www.twitch.tv/madiz_xtp/c/5077401

btw. excuse my aiming I had ping 150 on that last server ;)

Smilecythe
09-07-2014, 12:12 AM
Oh man, final game definitely needs some of this. I could get up to 60 fps on 1600x900 and that's highest i've ever gotten to in any unreal engine 3-4 game.

nukkuj
09-07-2014, 03:34 AM
you do realize the "brightskins" is current version of shield belt glow effect, right?

I don't see the reason why to limit player's ability to scale the graphics down, if they manage to nail the visual clarity with all graphics settings. Then there will be no advantage gained in using picmip, other than extra fps on lower end machines.

furiio
09-07-2014, 05:54 AM
They should really have a "competitive mode" profile that gives you this by default, or even something along the lines of TF2 styling. They're going to find a way to turn off any visual effect that gets in the way of actual gameplay anyway.

Wormbo
09-07-2014, 06:13 AM
Oh man, final game definitely needs some of this. I could get up to 60 fps on 1600x900 and that's highest i've ever gotten to in any unreal engine 3-4 game.

If your system needs "picmip" to raise the framerate, then even that won't raise it high enough for you to get constant maximum framerates everywhere. Nowadays the texture resolution doesn't have that much of a performance impact anymore. Lowering it will only slightly improve your experience on low-end systems, but have almost no impact on systems that already run the game quite well.

mad1Z
09-07-2014, 06:27 AM
you do realize the "brightskins" is current version of shield belt glow effect, right?

I don't see the reason why to limit player's ability to scale the graphics down, if they manage to nail the visual clarity with all graphics settings. Then there will be no advantage gained in using picmip, other than extra fps on lower end machines.

Without the bloom you can see the enemy better than before, which makes them easier to hit. I think the lowest possible settings shouldn't look that much different to the highest available settings. UT2kx had a nice balance in that regard. I'm always for a good prerequisite, which limits the players that have an advantage over others.

duffte
09-07-2014, 06:50 AM
it is super dark with simpledynamic lighting, can you tweak the gamma/brightness somehow?
my fps nearly doubled (hd4800+i5) with those changes

mad1Z
09-07-2014, 07:01 AM
it is super dark with simpledynamic lighting, can you tweak the gamma/brightness somehow?

I'm afraid not at the moment. I checked all consolecommands but there was no gamma/brightness.

xMARIN
09-07-2014, 03:34 PM
I'm afraid not at the moment. I checked all consolecommands but there was no gamma/brightness.

u could open up the Engine.ini and then manually set your Gamma, so like:

bFirstRun=False
DisplayGamma=3

legendary farter
09-07-2014, 07:05 PM
good. now add force player model and force bright skin and we'll have a game that can be taken seriously

Avalanche._
09-07-2014, 07:19 PM
my fps nearly doubled (hd4800+i5) with those changes
you can increase r.ExposureOffset to 2 or 3, it has a nicer effect than increasing gamma.

The only issue is that I have no clue how to put it in the .ini, because it won't really do anything when I put it in there, not even when I make a new section with [Renderer] and put it below there.

Techies
09-08-2014, 06:38 AM
good. now add force player model and force bright skin and we'll have a game that can be taken seriously

This is the kind of thing that turned UT in a joke, in the first place. You can't take a joke seriously.

legendary farter
09-08-2014, 04:25 PM
that is why Quake 3 and Quake 3 derivatives are still played competitively and UT isn't, right?

Veggie_D
09-08-2014, 05:03 PM
The biggest framerate impact I notice is when you turn reflections off, i.e. simple dynamic lighting on.

I'm against the picmipping type stuff generally, but this is an example of a sensible option that makes the env look great when it's on but has little or no effect competitively when it's off.

You can't take a joke seriously.
Happens all the time around here, in fact :rolleyes:

… or did I just mistakenly take that statement seriously :p

the_lc
09-08-2014, 06:34 PM
The biggest framerate impact I notice is when you turn reflections off

confirmed... gives me around +50fps. This reflection stuff needs to be perfmance optimized.

09-09-2014, 09:14 AM
Wait. You people are able to edit your engine.ini file? I am at a loss on how to do this. Which path is it? This? : UnrealTournament-Client-XAN-2286019-Win64\WindowsNoEditor\UnrealTournament\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor

plus someone told me I had to add the info myself.

the_lc
09-09-2014, 09:30 AM
I just type these into the console after i joined a server. It would be cool to set this in the ini. Even better would be a option to "simultaniously deactivate postprocessing and activate simple dynamic lighting".

Something like: [x] low end machine

r.texturestreaming 0/1 is really not needed imho.

It would be great if the maps, player models, items and weapons would support that simple lighting stuff or if there was way for map makers to calculate their advanced UE4 lighting/reflections down to a working simple oldskool version.

User256164065
09-09-2014, 10:20 AM
Try to keep the first post updated with all those useful console lines :) Gj

mad1Z
09-10-2014, 09:06 AM
updated the first post with the mentioned settings from other users and some additional info to maximum framecap

de`pain
09-10-2014, 09:14 AM
I don't mind people using picmip etc. It's been the standard in Quake since the beginning. This isn't a game like CoD, where a single bush could equal life or death. This is UT - a game that requires superb performance. Picmip is just sometimes needed to get the frames.

nuxx
09-10-2014, 09:58 AM
bFirstRun=False
DisplayGamma=3
FrameRateCap=120
FrameRateMinimum=60

The frameratecap doesn't work it seems?

furiio
09-11-2014, 04:43 PM
These can all be set in the Engine.ini. Here's mine:

\UnrealTournament\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\Engine.ini:

bFirstRun=False
FrameRateCap=118
FrameRateMinimum=118

[SystemSettings]
r.HZBOcclusion=0
r.AmbientOcclusionLevels=0
r.BloomQuality=0
r.DepthOfFieldQuality=0
r.SSR.Quality=0
r.DetailMode=0
r.LensFlareQuality=0
r.MaxAnisotropy=0
r.oneframethreadlag=1
r.simpledynamiclighting=1
r.LightShaftQuality=0
r.RefractionQuality=0
r.ExposureOffset=0.3
r.ReflectionEnvironment=0
r.EarlyZPass=0
r.Atmosphere=0
r.Shadow.MaxResolution=2
r.Shadow.MinResolution=2
ShowFlag.DepthOfField=0
ShowFlag.AntiAliasing=0
ShowFlag.LensFlares=0
ShowFlag.Bloom=0
ShowFlag.AmbientOcclusion=0
ShowFlag.TemporalAA=0
ShowFlag.DynamicShadows=0
ShowFlag.MotionBlur=0
ShowFlag.fog=0
ShowFlag.Tessellation=0
ShowFlag.LightComplexity=0
TEXTUREGROUP_World=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=2,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
TEXTUREGROUP_WorldNormalMap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=2,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
TEXTUREGROUP_WorldSpecular=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=2,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
TEXTUREGROUP_Character=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
TEXTUREGROUP_CharacterNormalMap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
TEXTUREGROUP_CharacterSpecular=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
TEXTUREGROUP_Weapon=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=64,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
TEXTUREGROUP_WeaponNormalMap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=64,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
TEXTUREGROUP_WeaponSpecular=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=64,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
TEXTUREGROUP_Vehicle=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=256,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
TEXTUREGROUP_VehicleNormalMap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=256,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
TEXTUREGROUP_VehicleSpecular=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=256,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
TEXTUREGROUP_Cinematic=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=128,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
TEXTUREGROUP_Effects=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=128,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=linear,MipFilter=point)
TEXTUREGROUP_EffectsNotFiltered=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=128,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
TEXTUREGROUP_Skybox=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=256,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
TEXTUREGROUP_UI=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=256,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
TEXTUREGROUP_Lightmap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=8,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
TEXTUREGROUP_Shadowmap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=2,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point,NumStreamedMips=3)
TEXTUREGROUP_RenderTarget=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=128,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
TEXTUREGROUP_MobileFlattened=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=2,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
TEXTUREGROUP_Terrain_Heightmap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=2,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)
TEXTUREGROUP_Terrain_Weightmap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=2,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=point)

[/Script/Engine.Engine]
DisplayGamma=4
MinDesiredFrameRate=999

[TextureStreaming]
UseDynamicStreaming=false

\UnrealTournament\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\GameUserSettings.ini:

[ScalabilityGroups]
sg.ResolutionQuality=100
sg.ViewDistanceQuality=0
sg.AntiAliasingQuality=0
sg.ShadowQuality=0
sg.PostProcessQuality=0
sg.TextureQuality=0
sg.EffectsQuality=0

Playing with high, stable fps makes so much difference. It's much better to play test the gameplay now.

PS,
Setting r.ExposureOffset higher than 5 makes DM-Spacer look heavenly :)

the_lc
09-11-2014, 05:05 PM
WTF n1... finally!

DSK-
09-11-2014, 06:01 PM
Looked super-smooth in your twitch video, mad1. Definitely will use picmip when I download a release at a later date, as it just doesn't feel right if I'm not playing UT at the lowest possible details ;)

I hope you, zeD and pyro are having fun in the game!

GreatEmerald
09-12-2014, 05:38 PM
I'll just put this here:
https://forums.unrealtournament.com/showthread.php?6274-One-thing-I-definitely-do-not-want-to-see-possible-in-the-new-UT

-Designer-
06-27-2015, 06:53 AM
this cmd ShowFlag.Tessellation=0, makes models invisible... just delete it ;)

Xarev
06-27-2015, 11:15 AM
this cmd ShowFlag.Tessellation=0, makes models invisible... just delete it ;)

You can still see their hat though :P Weapon pickup models are invisible too.

DDRRE
06-27-2015, 02:58 PM
I'll just put this here:
https://forums.unrealtournament.com/showthread.php?6274-One-thing-I-definitely-do-not-want-to-see-possible-in-the-new-UT

Yeah, pretty much that.

SouthernRex
06-27-2015, 03:11 PM
"Competitive mode" is for posers.