Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UT99 Corona Light Fix?

Hi folks,

I just recently decided I'd rework a map I released in 2016, (it was 'ok' but now looks and plays so much better), but there's one key thing holding it back - Coronas not always working when they should. I contacted both Wolf and Lode (the guys known for their famous UT99 lighting tutorials), but both have been unable to help. Then I read that in fact it was likely to be shaky code that meant that coronas on lights didn't always show themselves when they should. This is HIGHLY annoying as my map looks incomplete with some coronas showing and some not.

For what it's worth, I have yet to find a solution to this problem. Using a mesh and changing its texture to a corona doesn't give a proper corona; they get smaller the further away you are from them and that's not how a corona should work. Emitters (of the 227 patch variety) don't offer this either.

So, I was hoping, since *I* can't do anything about it except remove all the corona lights ('better' to have no coronas than many that can't decide if they should be on or off, right?), that someone at Epic might help me with this. Anyone from Epic happy to help me finish my map please? It's for gaming but more likely to be made into a show-reel video (and stills) but it will be added to a dedicated server - if the corona lights are properly fixed (they need to work online too).

For anyone who wishes to see the map in its current state (WIP), you can download it, here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/f4nyzmxl3m...D.unr.zip?dl=0
    Attached Files
    Last edited by R3plicant; 07-09-2018, 08:12 AM.

hi dude
    nice map and thanks for the ctf map it looks sexy, I suggest try to ask for help or suggestions in ut99.org there is more active than here. You dont lose anything askin for help
    pd: Try to reduce the filesize for the map its huge to load into a server

Comment

hi dude
      nice map and thanks for the ctf map it looks sexy, I suggest try to ask for help or suggestions in ut99.org there is more active than here. You dont lose anything askin for help
      pd: Try to reduce the filesize for the map its huge to load into a server
      Thanks, I appreciate that the map's huge, but that's the trade off for it looking so sexy . Please don't make the map available online though, it really isn't finished - the link to the files was made available so you can SEE the map. Thanks. Regarding the file size, well, a lot of people have super fast internet these days and with uz compression a download of over 100Mb wouldn't take long at all; maybe a minute, tops. All I need now is a fix for the super-fickle coronas, yes ut99.org may have more activity, but, correct me if I'm wrong, but it's not got too many people from Epic who can help solve a hard-coded corona problem, hence my coming here. Anyone at Epic willing to help?

Comment

ok my captain I will follow your order
        Seriously talkin' I highly doubt Epic that currently is very busy with fornite could lend you the hand to help you. I dont see Epic giving support since 2001, mybe could the corona issue be any sort of dll drivers (opengl, d3d etc..)?

Comment

Originally posted by darksonny
          mybe could the corona issue be any sort of dll drivers (opengl, d3d etc..)?
          Possibly, good idea, thanks. Have emailed the guy behind the Enhanced OpenGL renderer for Unreal Tournament - Just gotta wait now until he responds. I do still hope someone from Epic will address the issue, despite it being essentially just a cosmetic thing.

Comment

Critical: Can't bind to native class Emitter.XParticleEmitter

Comment

Originally posted by medor
              Critical: Can't bind to native class Emitter.XParticleEmitter
              My apologies, Medor. Indeed, I was informed of this earlier today. You may need to open the map in the editor, Go to Actor browser, click Open Package, look for Emitter.u in your C:\UnrealTournament\System folder, (or whichever drive your UT99 is installed) open Emitter.u, rebuild the paths, then save the map. Then launch the map again, it should (I hope) work. If not, then perhaps there's an issue I need to look into. Please let me know if my recommendation works, thanks.
              Last edited by R3plicant; 07-09-2018, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Not try i just do save of all ut99 files working like CTF-[R3P]-W007-[Insta] http://medor.no-ip.org/index.php?dir...sta%5D.unr.zip
                Last edited by medor; 07-10-2018, 03:20 AM.

Comment

Sorry? I don't understand what you mean. I hope you can get it to load in the editor at least. The map you linked me to, is an earlier version which I decided wasn't right, it's why I decided to rework it.

Comment

If you're waiting for someone from Epic to reply to your post with a solution, I'm afraid that won't lead you anywhere and no one from Epic will really reply to you, simply over the fact that they no longer support anything below UE4.

Having that said, this is a known problem with the engine used in UT99, where there's indeed a hard limit set in the engine on the number of coronas to render at one time, so there's no way around it, at least as far as these specific coronas go.

What you can use however is a package with its own corona implementation which has no such limit, but personally I don't know any which works well both offline and online, other than the one I created myself some years ago.
                    So, the only thing I can actually suggest you to use is a package which I did myself, called CSMCXExtras:
                    https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtour...938#post157938

Everything works (except the skybox lensflare with has a bug in some use cases, which I fixed in a specific map only), both offline and online, but since I did this package in 2 days or so (it was for a speed mapping 48h contest), it became a little harder to use than I would have liked, since not only you can have unlimited coronas (up to what your CPU can handle), but it has all sorts of settings like the distance cutoff, optimizations you want to enable, a debugging object to know which stuff is being rendered in view, etc, and that made the whole thing having a steeper learning curve that I would have liked.

I only used this package in 2 maps, which also would suffer from the coronas limit if I didn't use this, which you may look as examples in how to use this package:

This one: ( https://ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t...tart=45#p59077 - same link as the package)

and this one ( https://ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12401 ):

as you may see, I have used a lot of coronas too, and they all render properly.

There's a small catch with this package though: if you have a corona texture, and you want it to be rendered at a different color, you have to export it, change its color in an image program and import as a new texture to be used as a corona, since all I am doing is using sprites underneath.
                    In the future I want to do a new one which renders to the HUD directly instead, which would allow for custom colors, but for now this is all I have unfortunately, but should solve your main issue at least.
                    Last edited by Feralidragon; 07-10-2018, 07:00 AM.
                    https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-1...ralidragon.png
                    Weapons of mass destruction | Community UT mods

Comment

Originally posted by Feralidragon
                      but for now this is all I have unfortunately, but should solve your main issue at least.
                      It has for the coronas, yes, thanks! I've spent most of yesterday and today removing the originals, replacing them with the ones from the CSMCXExtras package and just generally working on optimising the map. They're pretty damned good! Thanks! Why Epic couldn't have done this back in the day,.. *sigh*.

Last issue now is to see if I can find some properly working emitters. The 227 emitters don't work properly, (they crash the editor when exiting, and causes crash before game can launch!), so have had to remove them all from the map which is a huge disappointment because the brought my map alive how I wanted it. Oh well, maybe I'll just have to live without them.

Ok here are some screenshots of the map how it looks now with the new, (new to me, at least), improved coronas.

Click image for larger version

Name:	UnrealTournament-20180711-18364834c.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	401190

Name:	UnrealTournament-20180711-18332392c.jpg
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	401191

Name:	UnrealTournament-20180711-18350625c.jpg
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	401192

Name:	UnrealTournament-20180711-18353823c.jpg
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	401193

While they're not 100% perfect they still have minor flaws, (showing through BSP sometimes), but it's not a great issue as they show up 99% of the time, which frankly, is how they should be. The original Epic ones are really annoying and fickle.

Comment

you can try with emitter UT http://medor.no-ip.org/index.php?dir...=EmitterUT.rar

Comment

Originally posted by medor
                          you can try with emitter UT
                          Thanks Medor, but I've checked them and these are the ones causing the errors and problems, I can't use them. Thank you though.

Comment

CSMCXExtras also comes with particle generators.

In the maps I gave as examples, check the actors used to generate the smoke (outside in the first, and in the lava in the second).
                            They're also used for the falling snow in the first too, and the rain in the second, and some "windy" effect in both (skyboxes).

Although they're fairly basic in their capabilities, but depending on what exactly you want to do they may serve your purpose, and they're fairly efficient.
                            This is a package that has a few more things than just coronas.
                            It's not as good as I would like it to be, but for most purposes of this kind it should suffice.

The map is looking very good btw.

EDIT: As for showing through BSP, for efficiency they sometimes skip frames to not keep checking for visibility in every frame, and in those frames they may indeed still appear when they should disappear, to be less taxing on the CPU.
                            So one of the things you may do is to tweak the optimization settings on the coronas so they do not skip as many frames or no frames at all. With the number of coronas that you currently have it's probably not a problem at all, these default values were meant for a more crazy usage of them (like the neon lights).

If you check the CSMCXOcclusion group of properties in the coronas, you can change OcclusionUpdatePhases to a lower number (at 1 it skips no frames, at 2 it skips every other frame for checks, etc).
                            Last edited by Feralidragon; 07-12-2018, 08:02 AM.
                            https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-1...ralidragon.png
                            Weapons of mass destruction | Community UT mods

Comment

Feralidragon, thanks. I've spent all day trying to get my head around them but can't make heads or tails of the settings, orientation, speed, quantities, rotation, triggering or not, direction and scale, for most of those, there don't appear to be any settings for them. The things I need are direction arrows mainly, (using my own textures) moving along the floor in tidy, uniform paths, consistent to set up, smooth, reliable and most important of all, VISIBLE in the editor. I had no luck whatsoever today. Edit, build, test,. nothing worked. If I could see what was happening in the editor, I MIGHT have a chance of getting them working, but, well, that's just not been possible. I'm super exhausted (mentally) and for a whole day of trying to get them to work, I officially give up. I hate to say it, but, at least the emitters updated in real-time so you could see what was happening in the editor.

*Shakes head in defeat*.

Comment

Working...
                              X