X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    observe, meowcatbuf: https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtour...nreal-engine-1

Originally posted by meowcatbuf View Post
    You are welcome regarding the tutorials. One thing to remember is that if the skeleton that a model is rigged to (the UT2k4 skeleton for example) does not exactly match the animation file's skeleton, the SkeletalChars.u animation files for example, then the model will get all screwed up when it animates. The bone names have to match, base pose bone orientations have to match, and often base pose bone translations/position must match too.

I think the UE4 engine has a skeletal animation re-targeting utility feature in its editor that looks like it will allow you to remap one skeleton's animations to another's, but I have no experience with whether it would work. I have played with the idea of trying to write my own skeletal animation re-target utility, but I really don't have the time anymore to mod much let alone learn how to code the 3D GUI interface portion of a utility (the bone animation mapping translation part is actually the easier part to code given the volume of tutorials online about the use of quaternions and conversion between pitch,yaw,roll rotations, using quat multiplication to convert between local bone rotations and model/global rotations etc ...).

About the only reason I stick with UT2k4 over UT99 is that I really really like being able to use bone rotations to handle the character poses (aiming up down left right etc.); static meshes are great for foliage modeling (and run much, much, much faster for me then the equivalent models in UT99... go figure); and I like the vehicle physics.

Good luck with your projects PAGOEJA!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    yeah the bone rigging and anim have to match you are correct
    which is why i have config class bypass skeletal and load the meshes proper anim and the run the anim digest

and my method works very fast. i'd love to share, but the "in crowd" still is having it's laughs everywhere including ut99org and their discord.

Click image for larger version

Name:	76767489_722785744896459_1594283377714790400_o.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	407548

Name:	78629249_722815771560123_2142672051972866048_o.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	223.9 KB
ID:	407549

i am the only one putting out 4k capable/compatible work in ut99, but hey whatever...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi PAGOEJA,
    I was having some problems logging into these forums (the login link from the top was not working, had to go to the main page, login there, then manually add "forums" in the address bar to get back here...).

Anyways, in the old vertex mesh system the individual mesh triangles each had a "flag byte" that contained the boolean data (each bit of the byte represented a different option) of whether the triangle should be rendered normally, translucent, masked, invisible, two-sided etc. I don't know if the skeletal mesh format (or UT's renderer) supported a similar arrangement, but in any case I don't know how you could set those flags anyways without writing your own exporter or converter.

UnrealFX.exe (written by ¡muh! back in 1999) could open vert mesh models, and allow selection of individual triangles in a vertex mesh model to set the triangle flags. I am unaware of any such program for .psk format models. UT2004 handled the rendering characteristics through the materials assigned to the model instead. In the case of the character model above you might be able to get it to work (sort of) by setting the hair texture's bMasked and bTwosided true in UEd, but that means you may also have to edit the texture to ensure that all transparent parts are painted pure black (0,0,0). I think the pink hair color you chose above looks A.O.k. too.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    well meowcat, without you i wouldn't be getting this far, so i'm satisfied with this import.
    i'll work on the anims after i add the enviro map on the goggles (ezpz)

#lilian by #aberiu for #ut2004 / #ut2k4
    #ut99 #import by #pagoeja
    (2K resolution, 256 color assets)

Name:	256-colors-2kRES.png
Views:	167
Size:	898.9 KB
ID:	407516
    Last edited by PAGOEJA; 12-05-2019, 10:58 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    so here is the deal...
    Click image for larger version  Name:	78546587_720062225168811_1855015105494777856_o.jpg Views:	0 Size:	436.3 KB ID:	407501

Click image for larger version  Name:	78539854_720461268462240_1040194663379632128_n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	27.2 KB ID:	407502
    ^^^ so i ended up with this vvv

Name:	faafaf3.png
Views:	148
Size:	259.7 KB
ID:	407507

Name:	dfsfsdfsdf3.png
Views:	148
Size:	337.0 KB
ID:	407508
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PAGOEJA; 12-05-2019, 01:27 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    i intend to do what 3drealms / gearbox / 2k failed to do

make a new engine out of ****.

Originally posted by e1vp View Post
    Hey PAGOEJA, some cool stuff here.
    Are you planning to release an updated OpenGL/Vulkan/DX render for this game? It would be great.
    As far as I know, the latest unofficial updated version of OpenGL was released somewhere in 2010 for UT99. It feels a bit outdated and it has its own problems. Still, it is the best render to play this game for me - more stable and close to the original than DX.
    Keep it up. I am glad that there are yet several devoted fans for this game around. Thanks for your work!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    i <3 my meowcat.... thanks bud.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    so ya, fix the hair, somehow, and uh... lightmap is done for the goggles i just never added the googles texture yet,
    sorta like that hair piece, its light mapped but i have no texture to throw on it, it's strange. i will have to figure those things out.

people hate waiting, they have no clue the kind of issues that pop up, doing this stuff.
    Last edited by PAGOEJA; 11-30-2019, 06:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied

yes i tried to explain all of that to you, regarding how reaper would import, even with a new anim, cuz skeletalchars would always enforce its own anim,

but as you can see i do quite well, THIS IS A UT99 IMPORT (1 bug left, i am sure you notice the hair)

Click image for larger version  Name:	ffafa-17130164.png Views:	0 Size:	300.8 KB ID:	407422
    ORIGINAL HERE, by ABERIU https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtour...ade-for-ut2004

Click image for larger version  Name:	ewfwfewd1.png Views:	0 Size:	184.1 KB ID:	407423

in game appearance...
    Click image for larger version  Name:	in-gameMu.png Views:	0 Size:	110.1 KB ID:	407425
    Last edited by PAGOEJA; 11-30-2019, 06:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey PAGOEJA, some cool stuff here.
    Are you planning to release an updated OpenGL/Vulkan/DX render for this game? It would be great.
    As far as I know, the latest unofficial updated version of OpenGL was released somewhere in 2010 for UT99. It feels a bit outdated and it has its own problems. Still, it is the best render to play this game for me - more stable and close to the original than DX.
    Keep it up. I am glad that there are yet several devoted fans for this game around. Thanks for your work!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    *i'm the only guy who noticed the updated opengl dll
    was actually a DOWNGRADE in terms of lod bias capabilities.
    and should be edited and replaced after updating ut99 to 432 or 451
    (you can ask [arc]zena aka david nash)
    i showed him first, well over a decade ago, before blabbing about it all over the place.
    (that and ferali's and many others lod on their imports were way off, they never fixed those until i showed off fixed versions)
    really i am one of the guys who made others push themselves further, even if i was "borrowing" and heckling,
    i made the scene COMPETITIVE. now, it's literally DEAD.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    and if that really did happen, i'd literally write a BOOK/NOVEL about unreal engine 1, and how to REALLY USE IT, like A PRO.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    p.s. i'll consider us all even, when they present me with a printable unreal engine 1 license, with my name on it, in my inbox.

i won't pursue damages for all of the thefts, i'll literally clean the slate and do my own thing, with my slice of the pie (ue1 remodded into whatever i end up calling it)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    the quality is down cuz it defaults WORLD instead of SKIN

trust me i know all the little tweaks for the game, that anyone who has used the engine for awhile, would know. and perhaps i knew of them even before some of these guys did.

david nash and a few others who might tell the truth today, could vouch regarding that, cuz all i really could do back in the day was light script/detail editing, and texture and vert mesh swapping. :P

Click image for larger version  Name:	77427173_715573368951030_5203829255401635840_o.jpg Views:	0 Size:	94.3 KB ID:	407349
    Click image for larger version  Name:	ssfesfsfd.png Views:	0 Size:	132.7 KB ID:	407350

Leave a comment:

• replied
    meowcat you kept making comments about my ability, and if i make my own packages, certainly this will stop you from being suspicious of my skills or my intent.

here is another mesh/skin by aberiu, that i've imported to ut99, and as promised i also added the accessories lods (backpack, goggles)

unlike the lilian v1.0 that i did, where i forgot to import the buckles. but hey at least you know i can do arrays or multi mesh work

Click image for larger version  Name:	adsadsadssad.png Views:	0 Size:	790.5 KB ID:	407309
    Click image for larger version  Name:	adadsadasdd.png Views:	0 Size:	807.8 KB ID:	407310

Click image for larger version  Name:	jjhxjhgxg.png Views:	0 Size:	11.0 KB ID:	407308

just so you know i wasn't bs'ing about being able to by-pass skeletalchars and do my own thing.
    once the anim timings and names are done, it's all awesomeness from there on, thanks again meowcat.
    (ya i forgot the goggles texture, when i imported lod_2, i'm a dummy, rofl) will fix, before final

Click image for larger version  Name:	dfsfsfsghdhsgsgs--Copy.png Views:	0 Size:	924.3 KB ID:	407331

Click image for larger version  Name:	77427173_715573368951030_5203829255401635840_o.jpg Views:	0 Size:	94.3 KB ID:	407333
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PAGOEJA; 11-29-2019, 06:04 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X