Looking for a video tutorial on vehicles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a video tutorial on vehicles

I was some looking video tutorials on vehicles but cant find any at all anywhere. But this site is the best place to go to find answers.

Last edited by Mega_Mad_Maxx; 02-21-2018, 02:22 AM.

Hi,

That's strange - I'm surely remember there was a vehicle import tutorial on UDN, but now I couldn't find it. A while ago I've been playing around with vehicles in UT2004, so if you will I could give some tips on that (topic is not so complicated really - you just need to properly set all pivots, joints, origins and then do the export).

Some of my vehicles could be seen there: https://youtu.be/Bg8lNlasutk?t=53s

EDIT
    Found it! This is the tutorial I was using back then https://udn.epicgames.com/Two/SVehicleCreation.html
    Last edited by exo7341; 10-05-2016, 04:40 AM.
    - got sig? -

Comment

So, you got your mesh into Editor? (i.e. can you actually see it in animations browser, and save as package file?)

I suggest you to extract Onslaught scipts (done via Editor), and just use stock vehicle as an example (i.e. something like Scorpion). Importing a vehicle means making small mod anyway (i.e. it's not just a content import, you'll need to script a few things too) - so you could start off with alredy done thing (just need to replace a few attributes like mesh, bone names etc with your mesh values). You could even start with compiling a Scorpion's copy as your own mod (just to be sure all works/compiles OK).
      - got sig? -

Comment

I doubt you will find any video tutorials. If you do then please link them. What text tutorials did you use? Will you link them?

As exo said, check out the scripts for existing vehicles. This page is a good place to start and contains a link to the scripts if you don't want to extract them.

https://wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy...ehicle_Weapons
        http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/a...psriplu1m9.png

Comment

i can't even remember how i did my vehicle set, i think there was video's done by 3dbuzz that was released with the UT2004 ECE edition, might have also been released later by 3dbuzz via the net.
          UT40K:The Chosen - Warhammer 40,000 for UE4
          ut40kgeodav - UE4 Tutorials

Comment

Yes, Maxx first of your liks is really good one (second one is actually good too, but I think it could be a bit overwhelming for a newbie). In tutorial with Hellbender (and assuming your vehicle doesn't have special anims like Scorpion's blades or MAS's deployment) you can skip animation part (i.e. don't need to make PSA file, don't need to import and link it). Final part (regarding Karma collision) is quite important also.

And here's how you could extract all scripts (done in Actors tab in Editor's browser):

(be warned - this will flood your UT2004 folder with many other folders, so it could look like a mess at first - but it's ok for those who going to do some mods I think . Mostly you should be interested with one folder - named Onslaught. There you could find all Onslaught vehicles scripts. Script files are just plain text, so they could be opened in any text editor)
            Attached Files
            - got sig? -

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Maxx
              What is "Karma collision" a 3d object or a setting. How do you make a collision object if needed, can I just make a copy of my jeep model and name it something elts.
              Karma is the name for UT2004 physics engine. So Karma collision is physical representation of vehicle (for collision and impact calculation). In most cases you don't want it to be a precise copy of vehicle's model (as complicated shape of collision could lead to improper behaviour and errors). In fact most of stock vehicles have simple box collision.

In order to see Karma collision you should tick this thing (pink/blue wireframe around vehicle body is its collision):

For adding collision boxes, there's special section on details panel (all attributes is straight forward I think - on a freshly imported mesh this will be empty, so you should click small "Add" button on "CollisionBoxes" line):

And yes, you actually could do collision as a separate static mesh, but I never tried that myself (because in most cases boxes are good enough). Another note: only body needs a collision - wheels are handled differently (as far as I know it, stock vehicles don't use Karma collision for wheels at all).
              Attached Files
              Last edited by exo7341; 10-11-2016, 03:10 AM.
              - got sig? -

Comment

yep Maxx, 3ds max is simular,
                just found this link for the 3dbuzz videos https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Oo4m0gRCh6X_a1

also try google "3dbuzz ut2004 vehicle tutorials"
                UT40K:The Chosen - Warhammer 40,000 for UE4
                ut40kgeodav - UE4 Tutorials

Comment

exo7341
                  Got the "SCORPION" model into max then rigged and skinned it. Using ActorX I made a PSK.
                  Opened UrealEd Animation browser and loaded SCORPION.PSK - It loaded with no problems.
                  In UrealEd under Actor Classes I exported all .uc files.
                  Looked in the Onslaught\Classes folder but could not find the SCORPION.uc file.
                  So witch .uc file do I use.
                  Scorpion is ONSRV.uc. For other vehicles you could just do file search querying their name (i.e. search files that contain word "hellbender" > and you'll get ONSPRV.uc, etc)

Next you need to create your own mod's folder inside of UT2004 folder (name it as you wish - just avoid special characters; I suggest using something short and memorable - like "mymod"). Inside of your mod folder make another folder named "Classes" - and put a copy of ONSPRV.uc there. Actually that would be enough to compile this as your own mod (i.e. this vehicle will be like a clone of stock Scorpion - but technically it's your own creation which you can mod etc).

You said you've imported PSK into Editor. You also need to actually save it as your own animation package file (under your name; UKX extension) - you'll be using this in your vehicle's script.
                  - got sig? -

Comment

Maxx, you're doing good progress so far!

this string from your log:
                    Critical: Superclass ONSWheeledCraft of class ONSPRV not found
                    says that compiler couldn't see your class' parent class at time of your package compiling. Most likely this caused by where you've placed your EditPackages string in ini file (I mean order of records in this section is important). Since all user created things are extensions to stock classes, all mod "EditPackage"s should be placed after stock ones. Move yours and compiler should go further.

Also I'm not sure about doing #exec obj load. To my knowledge it is an unnecessary thing (although technically you're correct and this should be used). If your package will be compiled, you could try commenting out this string (btw when you re-compile you should delete previously compiled mod .u package first).
                    - got sig? -

Comment

That did it. Changing order in the ini file allowed it to compile. Thank you exo7341
                      I loaded the mymod.u in the actor class browser but couldn't find my JeepBender
                      was it named something elts.

Should I change the "class ONSRV extends ONSWheeledCraft;" to "class JeepBender extends ONSWheeledCraft;" line
                      in the mymod - ONSRV.uc file
                      Your vehicle now takes its place in overall actors hierarchy (this doesn't show separate packages - just resulting class tree). It should be found somewhere at "actor > pawn > vehicle > svehicle > onsvehicle > onswheeledcraft > onsrv" (since your class is using same name as Onslaught's ONSRV there should be 2 instances of ONSRV in tree).

Yes, it's indeed a good idea to rename your class now. Just be careful with that - name of script file must be the same as what written inside of it (i.e. if it says "class JeepBender extends ONSWheeledCraft;" then the only valid name for that file is "JeepBender.uc").

Also check defaultproperties section at the end of script - take note KParams (Karma params object) is created right there and referenced just after that (i.e. "KParams=KarmaParamsRBFull'Onslaught.ONSRV.KParams0'" - you should replace that with your updated name as well - assuming your class now called JeepBender this would be KParams=KarmaParamsRBFull'mymod.JeepBender.KParams0'). Actually reference to Onslaught's class would work too (but game will be just ignoring Karma parameters in your script). This applies to wheel object too - they're created and referenced right in that section.

----

You could try to spawn your vehicle in game (not all game modes support vehicles though - but Onslaught is obvious choice). Console command is "summon mymod.onsrv" (or summon mymod.jeepbender if you already renamed your class). Vehicles is for red-team by default. If game will crash, that would mean there's something wrong with the model (log will give more details on that).
                      Last edited by exo7341; 10-13-2016, 03:29 AM.
                      - got sig? -

Comment

I got another error

Warning: Failed to load 'mymod.u': Can't find file 'mymod.u'
                        Warning: Failed loading package: Can't find file 'mymod.u'
                        Log: Analyzing...
                        Log: FactoryCreateText: Class with ClassFactoryUC (0 1 ..\mymod\Classes\ONSPRV.uc)
                        Log: Class: JeepBender extends ONSWheeledCraft
                        Error: Script vs. class name mismatch (ONSPRV/JeepBender)
                        Log: Imported: Class mymod.JeepBender
                        Log: Parsing JeepBender
                        Log: Compile aborted due to errors.
                        Log: Failure - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)
                        Exit: Preparing to exit.
                        This what I was talking about. You need your class and script names to match. If you renamed class (i.e. content of script - "class JeepBender extends... etc") then you should also rename file itself (so your mymod\Classes\ONSPRV.uc should be renamed now to mymod\Classes\JeepBender.uc).
                        - got sig? -

Comment

Now I understand. I did what you said and got the vehicle in game.
                          I want to now put in a different vehicle from the ones in UT2004 in game.
                          If I keep the names of everything the same (including bone Higherarcy) just a different model and texture can it be done that way.
                          You mean you want keep the script but import a different model? Sure, that will work (btw, you already changed script to use your model? i.e. Mesh attribute in defaultproperties?).
                          Vehicle weapons are using special bones from the model (so if your model don't have them, weapons will be placed at model's root bone).
                          - got sig? -

Comment

If the mounted weapon is a custom model can the bullet emitter (what ever you call it) be changed to rocket launcher.
                            Would that be done in the .uc script. Also can you get rid of the weapon all together.
                            Yes, weapons are scripted separately (it's a whole different story), and referenced in vehicle's default properties as PassengerWeapons and DriverWeapons arrays (Hellbender lacks weapons guided by driver though, so DriverWeapons not present for it):

PassengerWeapons(0)=(WeaponPawnClass=Class'Onslaught.ONSPRVSideGunPawn',WeaponBone="Dummy01")
                            PassengerWeapons(1)=(WeaponPawnClass=Class'Onslaught.ONSPRVRearGunPawn',WeaponBone="Dummy02")

As you see, Dummy01 and Dummy02 are used as bones for Hellbender's turrets. You can replace these weapons with already existing ones (see PassengerWeapons for other vehicles) or script your own. Also you can just remove them (just delete PassengerWeapons entries).
                            - got sig? -

Comment

Thats very en-lighting, it gives me lots of ideas of stuff I want to learn how to do.
                              How much different is the tank from wheeled vehicles. Are some form of invisible wheel used or does the tread bones hover over ground. How do you put in the animated tread, is it a setting in the browser. Just curious for future projects I want to do.

Also I want to thank you for all your help. I have been trying to learn this stuff for years and you taught me how to make a vehicle in a few days.
                              Haha, thanks! I'm just glad my knowledge is useful for someone

Onslaught tank is faked as a form of hovercraft - so technically it doesn't features any real wheels or suspension of any sort (wheels and tracks are not bends on ground and always stays flat), just a couple of gravity repulsors (in fact Tank and Manta are both children of the same class - ONSHoverCraft). Tracks animation is just texture pan done via script (panning speed is sync'ed with actual ground speed).
                              - got sig? -

Comment

Working...
                              X