.ini options for maximizing graphics in UT2004

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .ini options for maximizing graphics in UT2004

With the D3D9 renderer, the ones I was looking at are AnimMeshDynamicLOD, TerrainLOD (negative values instead of 0 for both) and UseCompressedLightmaps (false instead of true). Are these supposed to do anything? I couldn't see any differences ingame. I know negative values for DetailTexMipBias and DefaultTexMipBias do work, but they are only practical when using supersampling. DecompressTextures=True is broken at least on current Nvidia hardware.

Also, is there an "official" explanation for the ReduceMouseLag setting? It's true by default and it literally cuts performance to 1/3 when it's enabled. From what I could gather it was meant to improve mouse feel on contemporary PCs, but should be switched off on any modern machine.

The LOD values you listed all have an effect, some simply more than others. Decompressing textures has no discernible effect - I've tested thoroughly - but is in no way "broken" (whatever that means) with my 1070 on the latest drivers. Decompressing lightmaps is also an option, but it has always made the powerup and weapon skins look funky, so that's off for me.

Yep, disable mouse lag. Dunno why, but it's best.
    My Unreal game collection.
    Unreal series screenshots (2560x1440)

Comment

Are you sure you didn't get UseCompressedLightmaps and DecompressTextures mixed up? For me, the former looks fine but with no visible benefits; it is the latter that causes missing textures on the opening TWIMTBP circle and 1st person weapon models.

Comment

Derp. Yes, you're right, they are reversed.
        My Unreal game collection.
        Unreal series screenshots (2560x1440)

Comment

One other setting I've looked at is DrawDistanceLOD. Setting this below 1 caused graphical issues on some maps (windows on DM-Aphran, for reference) while not offering any benefits otherwise, LOD looks to be hardcoded on many maps and not affected by these ini values at all.

Comment

If you're using VSync (usevsync=True), then ReduceMouseLag does exactly what it says. I would always have it on together with vsync because otherwise you'll get a ton of input lag.

Setting UseCompressedLightmaps to False will improve static lighting quality. The effect is pretty subtle, but you can verify this by typing "rmode 7" in the console which puts you into lightmaps-only rendering mode. With the default setting (True) the compression artifacts are quite obvious.

Unfortunately the D3D9 renderer has some issues with certain effects such as shadow projectors and the Double Damage shader. It's not that noticeable during gameplay, but for max quality you'll want to use the D3D8 renderer.

Comment

Thanks for the info. As I'm on a 60 Hz display VSync on isn't feasible in terms of input lag anyway for this game, but it would be interesting to see if this setting could benefit 144 Hz VSync/Adaptive Sync setups.

I knew about the broken DD shader, but not about the shadow projectors. Any map in particular that is broken on D3D9? Unfortunately the D3D8 renderer performs significantly worse than the D3D9 one, particularily on complex custom maps.
              Last edited by Xan0906; 11-18-2017, 07:39 PM.

Comment

It doesn't quite break the map, but if you look for it there are a few places where you can see it.

On DM-Gael for example there's an animated shadow on the floor at the top of the elevators. At least on my machine the shadow will show up correctly only when using D3D8. I looked at this again and it actually seems that for some reason the D3D9 renderer isn't drawing the shadow on BSP surfaces at all.

Another map that has these kinds of projectors is DOM-Core.

Yeah, ReduceMouseLag is pointless if you're not using VSync. On a 120 hz monitor it definitely makes

Comment

Found another example, on DM-Morpheus3 the shadows from the vents inside the skyscrapers aren't visible.

Comment

So I've realized that D3D9 yields better texture quality in this game than D3D8, at least on current Nvidia hardware. I suspect it is a driver issue.

https://lensdump.com/i/mrnO9
                    https://lensdump.com/i/mgl13
                    https://lensdump.com/i/mgSfD

First is D3D9, second D3D8, and third D3D8 with DecompressTextures=True. The difference is pretty clear, whatever they are doing with these compressed textures in D3D8 is not working well at all, see these blue-reddish streaks on the ceiling. I'll try posting about this on the Nvidia forum but I'm not hopeful that it will be fixed...

Also on closer inspection it seems that most decals don't display in D3D9? Never noticed it consciously for the longest time but this is one more for the pile of broken stuff in there...
                    Last edited by Xan0906; 12-08-2017, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X