UT2004 Online Frame Stutter Analysis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UT2004 Online Frame Stutter Analysis

Some of you may have noticed that the game does not appear smooth online. If you move your camera sideways while staring at a wall, you'll notice that there is some stuttering. My best guess is that the engine doesn't like non mod60 frame rates, so there's some sort of timing issue going on. I was playing with RTSS's frame cap feature, and pretty much anything non mod60 stutters to various degrees. At higher frame rates it's not as bad, but still noticeable.

I know I'm not the first one to notice this, but I haven't seen anyone mention it online. Here's a Google Drive folder with four videos recorded at 120 FPS that display the issue at hand. One video has the game capped at 120 FPS, another 130 FPS, 230 FPS, and 240 FPS. In the videos where the game is capped at 120 and 240 FPS the camera motion is quite fluid, whereas the 130 and 230 frame rates are stuttering. You'll most likely have to download the videos and view them using a video player that supports 120 FPS H.264. Since I've used OBS to record and there's a bit of a performance overhead, the stuttering is mixed in with some microstuttering from the game capture making it harder to see.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=19y...3I_8A4WcQJu7YE

Your options are:
    1. Play with an FPS cap using an external frame limiter (adds noticeable input lag)
    2. Find the highest FPS you can get without getting rubber banding (makes the stutter more frequent thus not as noticeable)
    Last edited by Calypto; 01-27-2020, 10:37 PM.
    UT2004 Movement Mutator

Try this:

https://mega.nz/#!ah5mjAxK!yx8DByCkJ...f0uEzV0U6i9HXQ
    UnrealArgentina.com | f | t

Comment

Originally posted by Party Boy View Post
      I'm sorry, but unless I'm missing something then I don't think this is related.
      UT2004 Movement Mutator

Comment

Working...
      X