Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Personal settings kick in one minute after gamestart & login --- a dozen+ of Steam players report the same problem - is it an Epic Master Server or a Steam server issue (or an issue between them)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[BUG] Personal settings kick in one minute after gamestart & login --- a dozen+ of Steam players report the same problem - is it an Epic Master Server or a Steam server issue (or an issue between them)?

UPDATE: Because the symptoms changed and/or because I learned more about it in the last few weeks I did delete the complicate and too long to read original first post #1 and replaced it with the latest concisely observations.

Meanwhile it is seldom that all the profile settings are erased completely, instead THIS happens most of the times (maybe from day zero three weeks ago but it took me a while to notice):

Since three weeks and after several fresh installations I still have the problem that the game starts with default profile settings - like after a fresh installation - and after 10 till 60 seconds my personal profile settings kick in and alter brightness and sound and key and mouse settings accordingly.

10 till 60 seconds, it seems to depend on internet speed:
    If I play with a Virtual Network and changed IP [slower download speed] the personal profile settings kick in after 60 seconds -- and if I play without VPN [fast download speed] the personal profile settings kick in after 10 seconds. If I choose to play OFFLINE the personal profile settings kick in IMMEDIATELY.

All this indicates that there is a problem with a server, either Epic or Steam, or the communication with that server. Except the the workaround that I found, this doesn't fit in:

I found a trick to faster load the personal profile settings. I go to settings and change the brightness slider then all personal profile settings kick in instantly.
    That's what I have to do at each game start.

NOTE: This problem happens foremost or exclusively to people who play UT3 with Steam. Most people play without Steam but of the few who do - and the community is in these days very small - a dozen+ Steam players have reported the same or similiar kind of problem. Maybe it is a problem between the Steam server and the Epic server.
    Last edited by Doc Greystone; 12-08-2017, 12:37 AM.

I just found in the Steam forum three more persons who have or had the same problem:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/13210/...4539583064146/
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/13210/...7749772786150/

The Windows 7 updates I made on November 15th, the date would quite fit with the erased settings problem, are KB4048957 and KB2952664.

I uninstalled both KBs and it did not solve the problem.
    Last edited by Doc Greystone; 11-19-2017, 04:33 PM.

Comment

At the present moment there is no patch or solution in the world wide web.

All people experience the same or a similiar setting issue are kindly asked to leave a post with

- where you are from
      - what Windows you use
      - since when you have the problem
      - and - very important - what is your exact problem or catalogue of problems.
      Last edited by Doc Greystone; 11-19-2017, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Nobody seems to belive it here. Or is this epic forum as good as dead? I dont see much activity.

Yet in the Steam forum are plenty of people who report the same, and not to forget all the private messages I received there.

Two links to Steam forum discussions I already posted above.

Here is another link with the discussion I begun to gather data: main one: http://steamcommunity.com/app/13210/...4539584573922/
        Last edited by Doc Greystone; 11-20-2017, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Static Haze reported on Steam forum the following erratic setting problems :

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          windows 10,

(it begun) friday-ish at the earliest i think,
          first it was just being unable to use the keyboard
          then it progressed to mouse loss
          and after that it got to normal but the crosshair and weapons are all gone.
          It would pop then both controllers would frezze again.
          Acessing the menu or esc will just hasten the glitch.

Also shouldn't this be x-posted this to the support theard and the email they suggested?or are all those avenues all dead?
          --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As you see from Static Haze report also his error is in fact a list of errors and totally unpredictable. You never know what is affected next.
          It's the same with my problem and that of many others.

Comment

I had this exact same problem today. Movement keys and such would not work including the Esc key to set it up lol.
            After deleting "My documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3" folder i was able to get back in game with working keys. Just had to enter my cdkey again and do some video configurations.

A possible prevention could maybe be to make the files inside the Config folder read only once you completed all config set ups ingame. I will try that shortly.
            Pro 2 Play Community Website @ https://www.pro2play.com/
            UT4 Server/Hub Guide @ https://www.pro2play.com/games/ut4/guide.php
            UT3 Server Guide @ https://www.pro2play.com/games/ut3/serverguide.php
            Need help? Join Discord Chat @ https://discord.gg/ETv384q

Comment

I do not have this problem, just tested it. I installed my UT3 from the DVD. Maybe this is a steam issue?

--- UT3 Warefare is still active. We play every Fri and Sat 12:00 Midnight to 04:00 AM, US East Coast Time, GMT -5 hrs, EPIC Warfare #2 or #3

My Rigs - WIN7 - ASUS Z68, I7 2600K @4.6Ghz, 16Gb ram, GTX780Ti Classified, VG248 @144Hz
              - Fedora Linux - ASUS Z77, I7 2600K @4.6Ghz, 16Gb ram, GTX780Ti WindForce, VG248 @144Hz, Samsung EVO-850 500Gb

Weekly Warfare Matches. We play every Fri and Sat 12:00 Midnight to 04:00 AM, US East Coast Time, GMT -5 hrs, EPIC North America Warfare #2

Comment

https://steamcommunity.com/app/13210...66180604891792

I edited the UTInput.ini so that my key configuration can be loaded with a click on "default". But that doesn't solve the underlying problem and the problem with all the erased other settings.

Most strangly is that the erasing happens **irregularly**, and always someting **different** is erased: Sometimes just the keys, sometimes just video and audio, sometimes mouse setttings (instead of a number I see: <a strange text>, sometimes everything.

Sometimes I am in the key configuration and see how it happens: While I am there suddently the entries change.

I am really sick of reconfiguring my UT3 over and over again on a daily or hourly basis.

My guess is that it has to do with the Login server.

Last edited by Doc Greystone; 11-25-2017, 01:39 PM.

Comment

I stopped the time this morning with a watch: 55 seconds after the login the settings are kicking in. The best SSD doesn't help if the problem is on the server side.

CRAPPY 55 SECONDS WAITING TIME AT EACH GAME START !!!

Question: Is this forum the right place to get technical help or do I have to report this somewhere else to get a solution from Epic?

Comment

The problem is likely on your end since it's not effecting everyone. I fired mine up with no issues and was loaded in, in under 2 seconds. I suspect it may be just slow communication from your pc to the server, which is why it does load but takes forever sometimes.

Comment

I just started a game 5 minutes ago and waited over 3 minutes for the right settings to load - but it didn't. So we still have that ELEMENT OF IREGULARITY.

After that I made a speed test, as well via VPN. The download speed is 5.8 MBPS. This is really not that slow to cause problems. I do not belive that the problem is on my side. I did everything and I am a PC user since 1990 and quite tech savvy: I deleted all files and reinstalled UT two times, applied all of Bubbaxmes suggestion, internetspeed is not so slow with 5.8 MBPS. Au contrary it shows if I use the super fast internetspeed without VPN the profile loads 10 seconds after login (for 10 years it was 0 seconds after login), and with VPN 5.8 MBPS it takes 55 seconds to load the profile. This indicates strongly that the profile information come from anywhere but my own super fast SSD. Or sometimes the profile settings load never, as just before again, and I have to shut down UT3.exe via task manager.

Originally posted by Bubbaxm2 View Post
                      I suspect it may be just slow communication from your pc to the server, which is why it does load but takes forever sometimes.
                      If internet connection has influence on loading time of profile settings this does mean the settings are coming from internet. Therefore either from Steam or Epic master server.
                      Login process itself is super fast as ever.

I have this problem now since two weeks and it drives me nuts, I need now a solution.
                      Bubbamaxe thank you for your efforts. I do need now official help from a level higher:

Obviously no Epic developers are frequenting this forum. Admin(s) of this forum, where do I get proper support? Resp. is there still proper support for UT3 - or is that office closed?
                      Last edited by Doc Greystone; 11-27-2017, 06:04 PM.

Comment

I have my settings folder and contents as 'read only' and removed all modify permissions except for admin (my account). I can make changes to the settings in-game, but they don't save when I quit.

Not sure if this will help but I haven't had this issue.
                        My Unreal game collection. Unreal series screenshots (2560x1440)

Comment

EPILOG:

I bought Unreal Tournament 3 about 15 or 20 times. Enough to support Epic properly. In ten years it is the first time I ask for help and nobody in this forum tells me where I can get proper support for my problem, not even the admins here.

Read only and execute as admin did not solve the problem. I have a new computer now and still the same problem since about three weeks.

I don't know how I will fix the problem and where I will find a solution, but one thing is sure: Here in this pretty dead forum I will not get it.

Last edited by Bubbaxm2; 12-05-2017, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Are you running the exe elevated (or as admin)? Have you tried cleaning out your .ue3profile files and starting with a new test account? Have you tried setting your .ue3profile to readonly (I cannot remember if the latter worked for me when I had this issue, which was only a few odd times, and may have been firewall related. It was a long time ago.

Comment

Nick:

I did all of those things and and then reverted because it didn't help and caused certain minor problems at their own.

Meanwhile it is seldom that all the profile settings are erased completely, instead THIS happens most of the times (maybe from day zero three weeks ago but it took me a while to notice):

Since three weeks and after several fresh installations I still have the problem that the game starts with default profile settings - like after a fresh installation - and after 10 till 60 seconds my personal profile settings kick in and alter brightness and sound and key and mouse settings accordingly.

10 till 60 seconds, it seems to depend on internet speed:
                              If I play with a Virtual Network and changed IP [slower download speed] the personal profile settings kick in after 60 seconds -- and if I play without VPN [fast download speed] the personal profile settings kick in after 10 seconds. If I choose to play OFFLINE the personal profile settings kick in IMMEDIATELY.

All this indicates that there is a problem with a server, either Epic or Steam, or the communication with that server. Except the the workaround that I found, this doesn't fit in:

I found a trick to faster load the personal profile settings. I go to settings and change the brightness slider then all personal profile settings kick in instantly.
                              That's what I have to do at each game start.

NOTE: This problem happens foremost or exclusively to people who play UT3 with Steam. Most people play without Steam but of the few who do - and the community is in these days very small - a dozen+ Steam players have reported the same or similiar kind of problem. Maybe it is a problem between the Steam server and the Epic server.
                              Last edited by Doc Greystone; 12-08-2017, 12:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X