X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OpenAL Important Note (UT3-UIG)

Quick Note regarding OpenAL Audio:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9xj71nnJx4
    • - Some older support, functions/ calls have been stripped that may impact your UT3 audio experience (vorbis)
    • - Make sure your using the most compatible version of OpenAL for UT3.
    • - Most users will no be effected by this but...

...If you followed my UT3 Ultimate Installation Guide (UIG) or if you did the change yourself, make sure your using the most suitable version.

Basically do not update this file every time a new one is released as it will not be beneficial. This is good practice for any software at any time, only update if you need to and always check the change-logs.

How to Make the OpenAL Update/ Switch:
    • Download/ obtain the suitable version of openAL.dll
    Recommended: OpenAL32.dll (2009-2010) e.g. 10/19/2010 {mirrors edge time}
    • Re-name the file to "OpenAL32.dll"
    • Place it in DIR 1 here;
    \Unreal Tournament 3\Binaries
    • You can remove the reliance upon the wrapper all together by simply renaming or moving it.
    e.g. wrap_oal.dll.BAK

UT3 is ALchemy Compatible:
    • The most up-to-date version works fine
    • Install it and add the registry path (regedit) for UT3 or simply direct it to the "ut3.exe"

Creative ALchemy 1.43.27
    example install path = C:\Games\Unreal Tournament 3\Binaries\Alchemy\
    example install path = C:\Games\Unreal Tournament 3\Binaries\Alchemy\dsound.dll
    example install path = C:\Games\Unreal Tournament 3\Binaries\Alchemy\dsound.ini

Links:

https://www.openal.org/links/
    http://kcat.strangesoft.net/openal.html
    http://kcat.strangesoft.net/openal-binaries/

p.s.
    OBS now Supports 5.1, but i do not think YouTube does yet and the most recent version is not good. Eventually we can make '4k/7.1' fragmovies at 30-60fps, auto-encoded by YT, but we are not quite there yet!
    Forget the New UT, give UT3 a PhysX and HD upgrade with my content & Get some 4K UT3 frag movies going!
    Last edited by TKBS; 02-02-2018, 08:36 PM.
    Download_AllMyStuff | videos_ofmystuff

Cool I guess, but what exactly is the need/benefit for this?
    My Unreal game collection. Unreal series screenshots (2560x1440)

Comment

The original reason i updated my Audio dll (OpenAL) is because it provided better performance than the original and slightly noticeable audio improvement. I noticed it when playing Mirror's Edge.
      At the time i needed all the juice i could get running UT3 on a dual-core, 4gb ram, 9800GT (2009 ish just before an upgrade), reducing voice counts, etc but still trying to get good audio out of my mediocre sound setup.
      I continued to use the updated versions and thus it became part of the extras within the guide many years later.

I now use Creative ALchemy to ensure the correct DirectSound3D environment (DSound.dll) and use the updated dll's (OpenAL) to get the most out of my Creative ZxR whilst playing UT3.

Having stated the ability to update these '.dll' to "the latest version", within my UT3 UIG, i realsied this has now become an inaccurate, as the 'latest' version of OpenAL no longer supports the stuff that made it beneficial for UT3 Audio, DSound, OpenAL and ALchemy.

The reason i posted this is raise awareness. I do not want new or old users to update the dll to the "latest version of OpenAL" everytime it is released due to those deprecated calls/ functions. It will just spit out a huge log file and you won't get any better audio or perfomance but users can still try the 2010 versions.

I hope this is clearer for you know.

Many Thanks

p.s.
      The best way to test Audio in UT3 is to grab the bio-rifle, spray a 360 circle of about 8 globs of goo, stand still and listen to them explode in surround sound.
      I used this video example as it contains lil birdies tweeting in distance

SEMI-OFFTOPIC:
      I would like an Unreal Tournament 3 Fan to proof read/ check my UT3 UIG. I have updated it for 2018 with a fresh Download link and wish for it to be checked prior to going public.
      The Guide should now be much nicer to read. Less jargon'd, contains updated linksfixed a typo or too and comes as both a word doc and pdf.
      Last edited by TKBS; 02-05-2018, 07:11 AM.
      Download_AllMyStuff | videos_ofmystuff

Comment

Originally posted by TKBS View Post
        p.s.
        The best way to test Audio in UT3 is to grab the bio-rifle, spray a 360 circle of about 8 globs of goo, stand still and listen to them explode in surround sound.
        I used this video example as it contains lil birdies tweeting in distance
        Sound is very important to gaming and not everyone uses propery audio feedback for improvment in locating enemies and such. I was too often accused of cheating/hacking/radaring but was just doing the combination what UT3 provides: minimap, sound attenuation/location, map layout, common sense etc. (and all that at default config). Good times.

Originally posted by TKBS View Post
        SEMI-OFFTOPIC:
        I would like an Unreal Tournament 3 Fan to proof read/ check my UT3 UIG. I have updated it for 2018 with a fresh Download link and wish for it to be checked prior to going public.
        The Guide should now be much nicer to read. Less jargon'd, contains updated linksfixed a typo or too and comes as both a word doc and pdf.
        Looks good.
        ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
        ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

I have been using OpenAL Soft instead of default OpenAL32.dll, and getting very good results. I placed it in the main game folder (C:/...binaries) and have been routing it to load HRTF configs. The in-game audio sounds much better now; left, right, above, below, front, behind, all the sound sources can be differentiated now.

Found how to go about it from this tutorial http://www.bitoutsidethebox.com/shabda/hrtf-info/
          Last edited by shibur; 03-09-2018, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X