Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I get a clear, easy to study top-down view of any Unreal Tournament 3 level?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I get a clear, easy to study top-down view of any Unreal Tournament 3 level?

OK, so how do I view the BSP only of a map, and how do I remove grayed out brushes in the way of a top-down layout view? I just wanted to open maps in UT3 and see the BSP level layout. Trying to get a top-down view of a level so I can study the flow and layout. Is there any way to do this, and if so, how?
    In a world of no darkness, there is no light.
    - The Voice Inside

My Blog
    Featuring Insights, Poetry and Teachings.

My Photography
    Featuring A Unique Calendar and Prints for Purchase.

My Videos
    Featuring The Circle and Tutorials.

Probably not in the game only as grid view screenshot in the editor.
    Choose top grid view and press "print" the keyboard button
    before pasting in e.g. Gimp to save the picture.
    GOod STUff HERe <<

Comment

Thank you for the reply, that might work in certain situations. Or just use the Snipping Tool.

Well I found one way to deal with this, in case anyone ever finds this thread looking for the same answer... What I did us after fully loading one of the HOLP levels I wanted to study (I had to wait a bit for the option to become available) I was able to export the map as a .obj. Then I could import that into Blender, delete all the surrounding garbage, and focus on the main path design. However I found issues with the clipping pane distance - I can't seem to just get rid of the clipping entirely in Blender. Also it's still hard to make out the actual paths of the level unless I fly in over the top and look at a slight angle. I suppose I could texture the floors with some bright yellow material, but that seems like an awful lot of work.Still better than nothing.

Maybe it is possible to turn off certain groups of items on some or all of the maps leaving only the BSP? That would work only where the mapper hasn't substituted most of their BSP with static meshes. I guess this would make for an interesting programming opportunity. Imagine a utility that can import any Unreal engine map, slice the different levels to separate planes, and leave you with a top-down layout of any Unreall engine map.

If I find an easier, better way to go about this, I will post.
      - The Voice Inside

My Blog

My Photography

My Videos

Comment

DreamBliss, If you want to see only the BSP in the editor, then click in the editor window "W".

Comment

Maybe in the actual game level the console cheat "ghost"
          could help to get even higher than the maps ceiling!

P.S.: "Walk" is the cheat to revert the effects!
          GOod STUff HERe <<

Comment

As someone who has built several UT3 Maps ...here is How I do it for making a mini Map! In Top View Lit or Unlit Mode... Goes through the Hide/Show options: Hide Static Meshes, and all that will give your best results. For Everything else you want to hide...just select it and choose all matching and then Hide selected. It's really not too hard. Here is the Tutorial I learned from cr4zyb4st4rd This Tutorial
            Last edited by Megasporwic; 10-12-2018, 10:31 AM.
            Running the Mega Hub for everyone to enjoy!

Comment

By the way - if someone indeed reeds to study some map then he/she should calculate
              investing enough time for redrawing or concept said map on quarter grid (maths) paper
              to check proportioning and even design layouts and what not else.
              GOod STUff HERe <<

Comment

Originally posted by Kaal979 View Post
                By the way - if someone indeed reeds to study some map then he/she should calculate
                investing enough time for redrawing or concept said map on quarter grid (maths) paper
                to check proportioning and even design layouts and what not else.
                Already ahead of you there! I am currently using grid paper to draw a top-down layout, as the fellow over at World of Level Design instructs (not the grid paper bit, just about drawing a top-down layout.) Just figured out yesterday that I can slice the various levels up in the sketch I do (my first sketch tried to put everything in the same place - no sense of height.) I suppose this is something like an elevation view for an architect? I imagine they draw a top-down view of each level of a structure, in such a way that if you stacked these on top of each other, you would have the entire layout.

Hope I am explaining that well enough. This is one thing the fellow at WoLD did not teach, so far as I know. I figured that out on my own just thinking about the question, "How do I draw the various levels without making the sketch confusing?" (I had a hard time interpreting the sketch I drew.)

Anyhow I think my paper is 4 squares per inch, and I drew using single squares. Due to the UDK's weird scaling I ended up determining 256uu to be the size of each square.

Thanks for the suggestion!
                - The Voice Inside

My Blog

My Photography

My Videos

Comment

Originally posted by Megasporwic View Post
                  As someone who has built several UT3 Maps ...here is How I do it for making a mini Map! In Top View Lit or Unlit Mode... Goes through the Hide/Show options: Hide Static Meshes, and all that will give your best results. For Everything else you want to hide...just select it and choose all matching and then Hide selected. It's really not too hard. Here is the Tutorial I learned from cr4zyb4st4rd This Tutorial
                  Hey thanks for this information!
                  - The Voice Inside

My Blog

My Photography

My Videos

Comment

Originally posted by Kaal979 View Post
                    Maybe in the actual game level the console cheat "ghost"
                    could help to get even higher than the maps ceiling!

P.S.: "Walk" is the cheat to revert the effects!
                    I think I will give this a try - thanks!
                    - The Voice Inside

My Blog

My Photography

My Videos

Comment

DreamBliss - im in some good mood atm and willing to share a few more secrets of UT level design.
                      First up - you need to make your map not only for players but to make it for the bots or few peoples will enjoy it.
                      Therefore its unpredictable to analyze certain core elements and their placements and the ways between.
                      All this can become abit much for new mappers and therefore you just cant draw around until you like the designs
                      you can make any designs later and in order start with a list of ideas in sentence form to think about before sleep
                      and later sort it by importance and maybe solvement. Truely - designs can always be added and optimized at last.
                      GOod STUff HERe <<

Comment

Working...
                      X