Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The performance challenge

Hello Comrades!

I have installed ut3. And i have found surprising performance behaviour of the game.
    It is shocking unstable: fps goes from 800 to 50 depends on location and players/vehicles/effects. Average is ~100.
    Sure I know that bSmoothFrameRate=False. All graphics settings are decreased - 'zero graphics'. PC config is not outstanding (i5 3570k, 16GB, 7870, win7_64) but it is far better than 2.66 GHz c2d and 8800GTX (win_xp). C2D gave quite similar minimum FPS many years ago.

Energy mode is performance, ut3.exe is bound to 3 cores and its priority is high. Option '-onethread' does not produce fps growth.
    Some details are here:
    1] fps is maximum <-> GPU works >90%, low number of draw calls (~80), CPU core#1 is loaded ~85%, CPU core#2 is loaded ~60-70%, CPU core#3 is loaded ~14-30%;
    2] fps is maximum <-> GPU works <15%, high number of draw calls (~1600), CPU core#1 is loaded ~75%, CPU core#2 is loaded ~85-90%, CPU core#3 is loaded ~14-30%.

So CPU is not 100% loaded, even boost is not active (3.4 GHz, not 3.8 GHz).
    'Stat memory' shows usage virtual memory and zero usage of physical memory. Other command shows total GPU rendering time = 0 while CPU's is not.

Log file:
    NumProcessorsPerCPU: 1
    Init: NumLogicalProcessors: 4
    Init: NumPhysicalProcessors: 8
    Init: MaxSpeed: 3401
    Init: CurrentSpeed: 3401
    Init: CoresPerProcessor: 8
    Init: IsOnBattery: 0
    Init: BatteryLevel: -1
    Init: Manufacturer: Intel
    Init: CPUName: INTEL Pentium-III
    Init: L1CacheSize: -1
    Init: L2CacheSize: -1
    Init: Architecture: x86
    Init: Machine detected compatibility level: Composite: 0. CPU: 0. GPU: 5.
    I added my video card to UTCompat.ini before.

FPS dips are related to viewing scenes with many collisions, e.g. orb's platform (warfare mode). Also 'stat scenerendering' shows increasing of translucency drawing time, translucency setup time and lightning drawing time when fps is low.

Does somebody please know is it regular normal stuff?) I hope it is not, and it can be fixed. Or is it inevitable move - buying 9900KS if you want to achieve more than 240 min fps in ut3 (from 2008)?

Welcome to the UT3 Forums.

FPS will change based on maps. Like you said "players/vehicles/effects."
    - I assume your talking about the Default Maps included with UT3 and not some custom content.
    - Don't expect 800fps on any map regardless, or anything in that range for more than 1minute, especially not with that Rig.
    • Check the Guide (if you have not already then there is no point starting to help you), come back after if you still struggle
    • You have an AMD GPU?- probably not going to have much PhysX fun, might aswel disable HW in the settings.
    • Congratulations on your continued use of Windows7, win7 for life. Clone your HDD and upgrade it to Windows10 for free whilst you still can, keep Win10 for future, Unreal things will be happening.
    • Your Compat.ini is irrelevant, the defaultcompat.ini can be deleted. it is not needed.

UT3 Prerequisites:
    - Ut3 was released with Min support for WinXP so (x86) and 2008 stuff is recommended, for the 3 mscxxx.dll's and possibly shared dependancies with win32 assemblies (although i know not what they do)

- "DirectX", "Microsoft Visual C++" and "PhysX System Software" are required.
    • DirectX 9.0c End User Runtime DirectX redist jun2010 (Required)
    • Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 (x86) & (x64) 9.0.30729.4148 (Optional: 2010 should be fine)
    • Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 (x86) & (x64) 10.0.40219 (Required)
    • PhysX System Software PhysX_8.06.12 or "*Higher*" (Required if using PhysX)
    • - If Using a "*Higher*" version of PhysX System Software Then *also Install PhysX Legacy Software
    • - PhysX System Legacy Software PhysX-9.13.0604-SystemSoftware-Legacy.msi

Windows Prerequisites/ Updates:
    • Assuming your using Windows 7 SP1 - if not, then Update.
    • D3D Stuff;--
    • -Windows6.1-KB2670838-x64.msu;-
    • -Windows6.1-KB2670838-x86.msu;-
    - includes updates to the following components: Direct2D, DirectWrite, Direct3D, Windows Imaging Component (WIC), Windows Advanced Rasterization Platform (WARP), Windows Animation Manager (WAM), XPS Document API , the H.264 Video Decoder and the JPEG XR Codec.

You can also try the 4GB Patch:
    - i do not remember if i included it in the UT3 Update Kit, but its like 64kb and hosted online.
    - If you do patch UT3 for LAA (Long Address Awareness)You Must Do it LAST, after all other updates are installed in the correct order and all other exe patching[exploit fix, gamespy fix, 64bit address.])

Finally;
    -
    New CPU's do not work well with old software, it has always been the same, that is why we have Virtual PC's and DoSBox/ SCUMMVM etc
    - The power of your CPU is not that important; infact, the more tech moves forward the worse the compatibility will get, unless supported.
    ...Luckily UT3 is DX10 and DX11 is almost fully backwards compatible. we just need devs to stop locking installs behing walls like "SM3 required", it because a hassle to work with in other instances.
    * if you want to get seriously crazy you can use a DLL injection process to try to do some stuff, but i have not seen anyone release such content for UT3, despite it being fully supported by Windows and Unreal. Old Unreal have info on that stuff, but it is unlikely they will share it.

Links for you to read:
    https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtour...rnament-3/4550-is-there-a-fix-for-the-fps-issues-with-amd

Coincidently, after many years without using PC/Laptop or internet, I just finished Installing a clean copy of Windows 7 and Win10, along with a clean install of UT3. I came to the forum just now after finishing Lol, have not tested yet but noone can test the same hardware/ setup as you unless they have it obviously.
    Last edited by TKBS; 02-15-2020, 11:06 PM.
    Internet BlackOut in <2 weeks,last chance to request 4 years of Unreal Development(something from every Unreal Engine 50+ maps, chars, weapons, mods, mutators and more).

Comment

TKBS, thank You a lot!!!

I will check the guide. =)

I have installed ut3 on windows 10 (another ssd). FPS is decreased! =) Drivers is up to date btw. CPU overclocking from 3.4 GHz to 3.9 GHz does NOT affect at all! GPU overclocking affects nothing too. It is madness...

What do You think about window's settings - timer resolution and HPET/iTSC? What win10 services can provide performance's dips in ut3?

It is possible to make ue3 avoid loading specific map's elements (those who causes fps dips)?

Comment

This setting was supposed to avoid rendering certain things on the fly, without going into tweaking "r." values
        Engine.ini
        [Engine.Client]
        MinDesiredFrameRate=120

Tweakguides stated that it may not work, but it did decrease dips for me a long time ago, I forget what other settings I may have changed. Just try setting it to a very high value to see if performance changes at all, in order to see if it is being ignored or not depending on the rest of your tweaks.

Be sure that your CPU, whether overclocked or not, is not changing speeds during the game; turn off any eco modes or automatic overclock modes.

Comment

Working...
        X