Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dedicated Server - How do I add a custom character to be downloaded automatically?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dedicated Server - How do I add a custom character to be downloaded automatically?

I'm running the linux version of the dedicated server and have a number of custom maps/vehicles/etc installed. I know that, with each of these, it automatically causes players who connect to automatically download any requisite files for that map from my server. However, as far as I can tell, this seems to be set in the packed binary resource itself.

What I want is to have some custom characters-- which are already installed to the appropriate paths on the server and on the web host-- automatically downloaded for all maps if the player doesn't already have it. Right now, if I or someone else plays with one of those custom characters, other players who haven't downloaded it manually just see one of the default character models/voices. It kinda takes the fun out of it when I'm the only one who can see it, and most players who connect aren't going to bother with a manual download, nor should they have to.

Is there any way to make this work? I.e. a configuration setting or something that tells it to make sure players who connect have certain packages installed-- in addition to whatever might be dictated by the currently loaded map? I've Googled and grepped off and on for years and have never been able to figure this out, assuming it's even possible. Sadly, the documentation for dedicated servers has always been rudimentary at best.

Does anybody have any ideas? You'd be making a lot of players-- especially this one-- very happy if you can help me figure this out. Thanks!

UT3 does not support this feature as far as I know. I've tried it & never got it to work.
    General Poor Behavior II
    http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/...psi5debu8k.jpg

Comment

AFAIK it is supported. I'm sure there is an option (or it works automatically). I recently got it working with a dedicated server out of nowhere (wasn't intended). Listen servers are working quite well... for instance if you have CBP3 installed and open a map, any player who will connect will download the Rankin character. So you basically have to install all the custom models on your server and players have to allow to download custom characters.

Shameless promotion
      You can use my mutator No-More-DemoGuy mutator instead which will prevent the default character being shown (call DemoGuy).
      ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
      ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

Originally posted by RattleSN4K3 View Post
        AFAIK it is supported. I'm sure there is an option (or it works automatically). I recently got it working with a dedicated server out of nowhere (wasn't intended). Listen servers are working quite well... for instance if you have CBP3 installed and open a map, any player who will connect will download the Rankin character. So you basically have to install all the custom models on your server and players have to allow to download custom characters.

Shameless promotion
        You can use my mutator No-More-DemoGuy mutator instead which will prevent the default character being shown (call DemoGuy).
        Hey Rattle, I finally got around to trying your demo guy mutator on my server and got an error with my UTCustomChar.ini and it made me a spectator. It said I need to repair that file but I have no idea how to know what is wrong with it. I use the Liandribots Warboss and I see plenty of entries related to that in the ini so I can't tell what's missing. I guess I should probably post over in the old forum?
        Last edited by MΛuL; 02-23-2015, 12:19 AM.
        Unreal Carnage.com
        UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx
        UT3 Maps: DM-MCC-Hangar DM-MCC-SpaceNoxx DM-MCC-DeathFan DM-MCC-Fith and more...

Comment

Hey. That message is actually a fallback message whenever something with the default character set is not correct (like invalid, tricked/cheated, etc.). So you are forced to spectator mode. This was added as a cheat prevention as in the old days, it was possible to run around as an invisible character. I got that lately as well and so I think it is related to a bad configuration. You can also disable that check by changing bVerifyCharacterParts to false.

But I would like to know why it happened to you thinking you modified any character (which you didn't, right?)...

Originally posted by M^uL View Post
          I guess I should probably post over in the old forum?
          Yes, please do so (in the release thread).
          ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
          ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

Hi, I have experimented about redirecting custom characters in the past.
            If my memory and experiment is accurate, the current UT3 is not compatible with custom character redirection.

As an experiment, I installed the custom character on my game server.
            Also, I prepared the custom character uz3 file on the redirect server.

Then, I entered the server with the custom skined player by my main PC.
            And I entered the server as another player from another PC that did not install the custom skin.

At this time, download of the custom skin did not occur in another PC.
            The custom skins of the main PC player could not be seen from another PC. That was a boring demo guy.

As another experiment, I added a custom skinned bot to the server.
            But the result was the same. The Bot also appeared as a demo guy.

From these results, I judged that automatic downloading of custom characters is impossible at present.

I think the case RattleSN4K3 mentioned is an unusual exception.
            This phenomenon should not occur with ordinary custom skins.
            Sorry about my poor English.

Comment

There are several problems with character loading and the intented behavior isn't working. Most of these involve timing and the specific setup (which prevents loading the character on the server due to reduce lag etc.).

IIRC, you should be able to specificy the custom character packages in your UTEngine.ini in the section of "[Engine.StartupPackages]" with the key "Package=" with each line a single package. If it's a downloadable package (depending on the package flags, optional package might not work properly), it should be loaded by connecting clients. This is basically how the engine works, a loaded packaged is added to a "dependency list" when loading a map. This is processed before a client is able to connect (with seamless travel and in-game package loading it is more complex).

Originally posted by NakajimaYusuke View Post
              Hi, I have experimented about redirecting custom characters in the past.
              If my memory and experiment is accurate, the current UT3 is not compatible with custom character redirection.

As an experiment, I installed the custom character on my game server.
              Also, I prepared the custom character uz3 file on the redirect server.

Then, I entered the server with the custom skined player by my main PC.
              And I entered the server as another player from another PC that did not install the custom skin.

At this time, download of the custom skin did not occur in another PC.
              The custom skins of the main PC player could not be seen from another PC. That was a boring demo guy.
              Try load a listen match from the machine you have the character installed. And then connect to the server with another machine not having any such character/skin installed. Additionally, try disabling seamless travel, or increase the initial waiting time (and check bAlwaysLoadCustomCharacters to be true).

Originally posted by NakajimaYusuke View Post
              As another experiment, I added a custom skinned bot to the server.
              But the result was the same. The Bot also appeared as a demo guy.
              Had many cases where someone was forced to download a package I had locally installed. It really is related to timing and the setup, but I cannot recall the proper settings. One thing is for sure, I any package is loaded on a server before a client connects, such package is considered to be loaded by a client (and thus downloaded).

Comment

Thank you very much for your technical opinion.
                I was thinking that "Redirecting Custom Skins is completely impossible on UT3".
                However, there seems to be some hopes.
                If possible, please add skin redirecting feature to the next version of No-More-DemoGuy mutator.

Please let me say a complaint about design of UT3.
                Custom maps and custom weapons can be placed on the server.
                Visitors can auto download custom content and enjoy them. It's OK.
                But somehow, custom skins can't do this.

Great craftsmen have released a lot of wonderful skins in UT3 world.
                Nonetheless, They can't be displayed on server. This is a tragedy for MOD collectors like me.
                I can't bear to make those many awesome skins just a self-satisfying doll.
                I want to show myself wearing favorite custom skins to other players.
                Sorry about my poor English.

Comment

Working...
                X