Peace in our time!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peace in our time!

Has anyone ever stopped to consider that the main reason there's such conflict between humans & Skaarj is that we call them monsters? I mean, they're really just aliens. Non-human beings from other planets.

Nobody calls Superman a monster... well, nobody that isn't Lex Luthor.

Sure, there's been a lot of conflict with the Skaarj and sure... they kinda like eating humans, but can't we just get past that?

Can't we all just get along??
    Have you hugged a Skaarj today?

http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/

Hey it's not our fault... they behaving like sophisticated savages, not us.
    I mean, give them the little finger and they eat your whole face off. That's absolutely not an appropriate behaviour.
    ,,|,.............................................................................................coffee addicted !!!

Comment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genocides_in_history

I think you'll find that greed is a stronger motivator than xenophobia.

Comment

Well... It's not like the Skaarj suddenly decided that they were the superior race, that they should enslave or eliminate every over being in the universe, and were amused to slaughter "lesser" being just for sport and amusement.
        That's not much that they're alien but rather that they just want to **** up everybody else in the galaxy. And greed as pointed out Dementiurge.

Comment

News Flash: We killed the Skaarj Queen, its all over son!
          Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

Last edited by pb.; 07-27-2016, 01:46 PM.
            Come join us for pickup games http://ut4pugs.us

Comment

Originally posted by MonsOlympus View Post
              News Flash: We killed the Skaarj Queen, its all over son!
              Do the math with me here:
              - Skaarj have been around a long time
              - Skaarj conquered scores of worlds and enslaved their populations
              - Skaarj exist in separate clans on different worlds

You really think they only had 1 Queen?
              Have you hugged a Skaarj today?

http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/

Comment

Originally posted by EvilGrins View Post
                Do the math with me here:
                - Skaarj have been around a long time
                - Skaarj conquered scores of worlds and enslaved their populations
                - Skaarj exist in separate clans on different worlds

You really think they only had 1 Queen?
                They do, or at least that's what is inted in the course of the Unreal series.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkloser View Post
                  They do, or at least that's what is inted in the course of the Unreal series.
                  I do agree with [MENTION=9069]EvilGrins[/MENTION] though, it does make more sense that way. When you look at hive colonies they do tend to spread, creating new colonies, they move around too so Id certainly roll with something more like Aliens. Theres certainly more than one in RPG Invasion hehe

I must be honest, I never did quite understand their tech and how it came to be since they are portrayed as kinda savage but their tech is pretty clearly better than say Klingons. I couldnt really work out if they were cyborgs or if those abilities are just biological, I wont go into Unreal 2
                  Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

Originally posted by MonsOlympus View Post
                    I do agree with @EvilGrins though, it does make more sense that way. When you look at hive colonies they do tend to spread, creating new colonies, they move around too so Id certainly roll with something more like Aliens. Theres certainly more than one in RPG Invasion hehe

I must be honest, I never did quite understand their tech and how it came to be since they are portrayed as kinda savage but their tech is pretty clearly better than say Klingons. I couldnt really work out if they were cyborgs or if those abilities are just biological, I wont go into Unreal 2
                    I do agree that the idea of only one Skaarj on such an expansionist race is kind of contradictory. Maybe the extent at which a Queen can "control" a hive is incredibly huge, so that's why we (humans) assume there's only one Queen.
                    What I'm however not sure about is how they can replace a Queen and if it's a long process. But in UC2 you coud see when doing the Skaarj missions (and more specifically Torgr) that you were trying to impress a new Queen to be her mate.

Well they were described one time as "sophisticated savages" by Epic. I think their level of technology level is incredibly high for a reason I explained in another thread :
                    About the Brute :
                    I think the fat on them, while they should not be the most proeminent feature, could be explained in their engineering. The Skaarj used this fat as a kind of harm sponge, to make them way more resilient in areas were just muscles wouldn't be of a lot of use, like the belly. So their opponents will need twice as much firepower to kill them. They are basically that, huge bullet sponges with strong arms to use rockets !

Also @Envarion, remember that the Skaarj are (or at least were during Unreal) one of the most technologically advanced race. I think their level of knowledge on biology is rather high, firstly because it simply makes them efficient killers by knowing which parts of their opponent they should attack, secondly you can see that they're able to place their raziks (the wrist mounted blades) without the use of more external mechanical pieces, and they can even work (extend/retract or shoot plasma bolt) simply on a thought of the user. I would then not be surprised that they're able to make something really "organic" looking, yet extremely efficient for their purpose.
                    You need deep level of knowledge to be able to modify DNA that much so that you can create things like the Brutes as perfect meat shields. And the way the Razik works is another proof of their engineering skills.
                    So yeah technologically and scientifically speaking, their one of the most powerfull race (I believe only the Necris can equal them). But their culture is centered around "only the strongest survive" and a rather tyrannic regime, hence the "savage" side. And let's not forget the Momaship, that almost blasted the entire human race.

Comment

Well they were described one time as "sophisticated savages" by Epic.
                      No, that was me ...a few posts above.

Originally posted by papercoffee View Post
                      Hey it's not our fault... they behaving like sophisticated savages, not us.
                      I mean, give them the little finger and they eat your whole face off. That's absolutely not an appropriate behaviour.
                      But for real Epic mentioned it also? And I thought I was inventive. Darn.

But for the high-technology+backwoods-lifestyle dilemma ...look at us, self-sufficient Vegan-Hipster using a Smart-phone a technology so advanced you could compute interstellar travelling... when the NASA calculated the moon project would they be more than happy if they had fourth the computer capacity of a smart-phone.

So, my theory would be: There exists a caste of Skaarj which are the scientists of their species ...well hidden and guarded on their home planets ...never seen near the front line or on conquered enslaved planets. Those are the brain of the Skaarj society.

Edit----------------------
                      And those Skaarj scientists can produce a Queen on demand... That's the reason why Skaarj could go on Space travel without the need to stay close to one Queen the developed multiple Queens for every Mother Ship. And that's however is reason why they are so powerful... they don't have to wait for reinforcement if they are low on man ...They produce the reinforcement on the spot.
                      Therefore killing the Queen stops only a part but never the whole Skaarj race.

Some how is this now more frightening than expected.
                      Last edited by papercoffee; 07-28-2016, 09:39 AM.
                      ,,|,.............................................................................................coffee addicted !!!

Comment

No, that was me ...a few posts above.

But for real Epic mentioned it also? And I thought I was inventive. Darn.
                        Note that what I said was mostly taken from Liandri Archives, so you should still take it with a grain of salt :
                        "The Skaarj have been officially described by Epic as "sophisticated savages" and references are made in-game to their apparent high level of technological development in contrast to their brutal and barbaric nature."
                        But for the high-technology+backwoods-lifestyle dilemma ...look at us, self-sufficient Vegan-Hipster using a Smart-phone a technology so advanced you could compute interstellar travelling... when the NASA calculated the moon project would they be more than happy if they had fourth the computer capacity of a smart-phone.

So, my theory would be: There exists a caste of Skaarj which are the scientists of their species ...well hidden and guarded on their home planets ...never seen near the front line or on conquered enslaved planets. Those are the brain of the Skaarj society.

Edit----------------------
                        And those Skaarj scientists can produce a Queen on demand... That's the reason why Skaarj could go on Space travel without the need to stay close to one Queen the developed multiple Queens for every Mother Ship. And that's however is reason why they are so powerful... they don't have to wait for reinforcement if they are low on man ...They produce the reinforcement on the spot.
                        Therefore killing the Queen stops only a part but never the whole Skaarj race.

Some how is this now more frightening than expected.
                        I doubt they have dedicated scientists. Though the question of how they developped their technology should be raised. Maybe they "borrowed" it ? Maybe they acquired it by enslaving one more "intelligent" race ? Maybe it's only militaric technology that the Skaarj developped themselves naturally ? That subject is totally open to any speculation.
                        Actually, when thinking about the Razik, I believe each clan possess it's own way of developping their technology (like forging ?) that they can transmit to each other in the same clan. The Skaarj race as a whole maintain the same technological level as they can always steal from each other or take it from the dead, or exchange their knowledge during huge war effort (Human-Skaarj war for exemple). This would explain why there's so much different shape beetwen the Razik, yet they all function in the same manner. This competitive side is what keep them stronger both physically and technologically.

As for the Queen, they probably don't create one "on demand". It's just occur naturally (no idea how however) like in any insect hive you can observe. But it might be a long process for a... whatever comes first to become a mature Queen.
                        Also, is there truly a Queen for each mothership ? the one in Unreal doesn't appear in it, and there's no indication whatsover that there's one in or even near the Mothership that attacked Earth.

Comment

[MENTION=14867]Darkloser[/MENTION]
                          Well, I like my theory and it would explain many things compared to your "(no idea how however)".
                          Why should they keep the Queen in the Mothership if they know an intruder has entered it.

Comment

@Darkloser
                            Well, I like my theory and it would explain many things compared to your "(no idea how however)".
                            Why should they keep the Queen in the Mothership if they know an intruder has entered it.
                            That's pretty much the main issue on these forums, everybody likes his own theory.

I don't have the exact details of how the a Queen is created, but I do believe it's a selected Pupae that mature into a new one (kinda like the Xenomorphs), maybe just on commands, or with the help of a catalyst like a royal jelly or something (that is well stored and hidden by the Skaarj). There might be an in-beetwen stage (maye like a Pupae transform into a Skaarj warrior and then once powerful enough can transform into a Warlord and be consort to the Queen ?), but there's no real hint at that either. And I don't see why they'll need an in-beetwen stage. It's probably more effecient to directly evolve into a Queen.

Basically I see the society like this :
                            Pupae=genderless, base for any future Skaarj.
                            Warriors=Males, the bulk of the society.
                            Warlord=Alpha males, only the Warriors that proved worthy enough can become one. Consort of the Queen
                            Queen=The supreme leader and pinacle of the Skaarj society. Only one at a time (for a Galaxy ?).

I'm only hesitating for the Skaarj troopers. They're males for sure, but I don't know if they're part of the male cycle (beetwen Pupae and Warriors), or simply "drones", doing more various tasks than the warriors (all still centered around warfare of course).

Comment

Come join us for pickup games http://ut4pugs.us

Comment

Working...
                              X