Peace in our time!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darkloser View Post
    You need deep level of knowledge to be able to modify DNA that much so that you can create things like the Brutes as perfect meat shields. And the way the Razik works is another proof of their engineering skills.
    So yeah technologically and scientifically speaking, their one of the most powerfull race (I believe only the Necris can equal them). But their culture is centered around "only the strongest survive" and a rather tyrannic regime, hence the "savage" side. And let's not forget the Momaship, that almost blasted the entire human race.
    So basically Nazis and Zombies :O

Originally posted by papercoffee View Post
    ...look at us, self-sufficient Vegan-Hipster using a Smart-phone a technology so advanced you could compute interstellar travelling...
    Speak for yourself hehe

... I wonder what Skaarj meat tastes like :O

So, my theory would be: There exists a caste of Skaarj which are the scientists of their species ...well hidden and guarded on their home planets ...never seen near the front line or on conquered enslaved planets. Those are the brain of the Skaarj society.
    And I don't see why they'll need an in-beetwen stage. It's probably more efficient to directly evolve into a Queen.
    This is tricky, you guys seem to understand the depth that Unreal had behind the scenes for those willing to explore it. Maybe if Epic had some design documents we could know alittle more why these things came to be and use that same vision to expand but without that I think all we'll see is this organized chaos from Epic which includes no real solid direction for the larger Unreal Universe (think of it like commenting your code for your future self). I think itd be great to see all this expanded on but its been confirmed Epic wont be making the old SP styled games and since its their IP if someone did make that game its open to a cease and desist.

The reason I joined the Unreal Championship 2004 team is they already had permission from Mike Capps (we even had Midways permission to use Raiden), I was still noobish back then but I really regret not being able to release it since I feel it was my best chance to have some input on the franchise.

There is so much gameplay that could be made in the Unreal Universe not just a MP UT game but I think the community is more willing to accept it for what it really is, for whats already established than what Epic is, they seem hell bent on destroying it.

Id like a peace too, Id like the destruction to end so we can get on with rebuilding.
    Last edited by MonsOlympus; 07-28-2016, 07:42 PM.
    Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

Originally posted by MonsOlympus View Post
      So basically Nazis and Zombies :O
      Heh... I thought the Necris were the Nazi zombies actually.
      The Skaarj are more like... Alien Spartan Vikings ?
      Speak for yourself hehe

Is eat even meat ?
      This is tricky, you guys seem to understand the depth that Unreal had behind the scenes for those willing to explore it. Maybe if Epic had some design documents we could know alittle more why these things came to be and use that same vision to expand but without that I think all we'll see is this organized chaos from Epic which includes no real solid direction for the larger Unreal Universe (think of it like commenting your code for your future self). I think itd be great to see all this expanded on but its been confirmed Epic wont be making the old SP styled games and since its their IP if someone did make that game its open to a cease and desist.

The reason I joined the Unreal Championship 2004 team is they already had permission from Mike Capps (we even had Midways permission to use Raiden), I was still noobish back then but I really regret not being able to release it since I feel it was my best chance to have some input on the franchise.

There is so much gameplay that could be made in the Unreal Universe not just a MP UT game but I think the community is more willing to accept it for what it really is, for whats already established than what Epic is, they seem hell bent on destroying it.

Id like a peace too, Id like the destruction to end so we can get on with rebuilding.
      I think t's both a curse and a blessing that the Unreal Universe is so... messed up. A curse because of course, we don't have a clear direction on where to go and why things are like that, creating disagreements in the community and lots of arguing (friendly or not ). But it's also a Blessing so we're free to create something we truly love, and all these debates open new directions and blossom new ideas we might not think of individually.

I don't think we understand the depth more than anyone else, well not it my case, I can't speak for [MENTION=34994]papercoffee[/MENTION] . We have as much informations as anyone else (anybody can read Liandri archives), and just played the games. We don't know what Epic think or as thought of Unreal back then, how they imagined the characters and their background.
      All I know is that story writing and creating a whole universe is an art too. Literature is an art. It's just that it might indeed be less impressive to watch than, let's say, Kazeo's models for the public. A kind of have an artistic side and like stories, reading and thinking of lots of ideas. That's why I'm so willing to make that Unreal lore something great, to hopefully make UT4 something more than a good game, something that will be memorable like it was before.

Uhm... I might have let my feelings express a lot here... NOTICE ME UNREAL SENPAI !

Comment

Heh... I thought the Necris were the Nazi zombies actually.
        The Skaarj are more like... Alien Spartan Vikings ?
        I dunno, Klingons are very much Vikings but Im not sure the Skaarj have the death in battle Valhalla thing going on.

Is it even meat ?
        Probably something like crocodile or goanna meat

I think t's both a curse and a blessing that the Unreal Universe is so... messed up. A curse because of course, we don't have a clear direction on where to go and why things are like that, creating disagreements in the community and lots of arguing (friendly or not ). But it's also a Blessing so we're free to create something we truly love, and all these debates open new directions and blossom new ideas we might not think of individually.
        How come the community can put their differences aside even when things get heated, I mean Brizz and I have had some heated debates but we do agree on a lot and I think the main issue is that Epic dont want to get to know us and find those commonalities. Ive also seen very little spitballing by Epic here on the forums, Im sure they do it but its all behind closed doors and I always felt that went against open development.

I don't think we understand the depth more than anyone else, well not it my case, I can't speak for [MENTION=34994]papercoffee[/MENTION] . We have as much informations as anyone else (anybody can read Liandri archives), and just played the games. We don't know what Epic think or as thought of Unreal back then, how they imagined the characters and their background.
        All I know is that story writing and creating a whole universe is an art too. Literature is an art. It's just that it might indeed be less impressive to watch than, let's say, Kazeo's models for the public. A kind of have an artistic side and like stories, reading and thinking of lots of ideas. That's why I'm so willing to make that Unreal lore something great, to hopefully make UT4 something more than a good game, something that will be memorable like it was before.

Uhm... I might have let my feelings express a lot here... NOTICE ME UNREAL SENPAI !
        I appreciate you being candid though, its easier to know where a person is coming from if you just say it and not keep it all hidden away. I agree though, that the story could be something memorable even if its not huge and indepth, good story writing is severely lacking in games more so than many other elements and its an area that could put Epic in a spotlight they havent been under. Theyve won awards for graphics so whats another award if UT wins, or animation... What I think should be the goal is Epic pushing the industry instead of being happy with their complacency and not trying to capitalize on emerging markets by spotting gaps.

How many Arena games can say they had a semi-decent story let alone a great one that was formed with the views of hundreds of people around the world?

I am curious, what language do the Skaarj speak, is it Skaarjanese, Skaarjian?

I guess in the end humans are just afraid of what they dont understand, its the people who take the time to understand that are worth it
        Last edited by MonsOlympus; 07-29-2016, 05:29 AM.
        Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

I dunno, Klingons are very much Vikings but Im not sure the Skaarj have the death in battle Valhalla thing going on.
          Well, their motto is "Weakness shall be punished" which pretty much sum up how they think.
          Probably something like crocodile or goanna meat
          Hooo, seems tasty. But they also have an insect side, so do they also taste like them ?
          How come the community can put their differences aside even when things get heated, I mean Brizz and I have had some heated debates but we do agree on a lot and I think the main issue is that Epic dont want to get to know us and find those commonalities. Ive also seen very little spitballing by Epic here on the forums, Im sure they do it but its all behind closed doors and I always felt that went against open development.

I appreciate you being candid though, its easier to know where a person is coming from if you just say it and not keep it all hidden away. I agree though, that the story could be something memorable even if its not huge and indepth, good story writing is severely lacking in games more so than many other elements and its an area that could put Epic in a spotlight they havent been under. Theyve won awards for graphics so whats another award if UT wins, or animation... What I think should be the goal is Epic pushing the industry instead of being happy with their complacency and not trying to capitalize on emerging markets by spotting gaps.

How many Arena games can say they had a semi-decent story let alone a great one that was formed with the views of hundreds of people around the world?
          It's a good sign to see the community express so much their love of the franchise, and how they're working (or just yelling ) hard to make it great again. There's a lot of talented people here, I'm always impress with what the community can create.

I won't throw any rock at Epic, even if I'm questioning their decisions, as I honestly lack real knowledge about what's going on behind the curtain. I hope like everybody else that they'll consider boosting the development of UT, and have a more frequent interactions with us. I agree with them that we don't know everything, that there's a lot that is hidden in game developpment and that communities are not always right (That's not because the majority say something is right that it is), but yet they should consider more the community's concerns and wishes. We are the customers after all, the one that will pay for the final product, so it's more than normal that we have expectations.
          I believe it's simply called "Skaarj language". They... haven't really explored much on this side. All I know is that the writing is based on the Razik symbol :

They simply use the "blades" in different manner to make their alphabet.

They also speak english (or whatever is the universal language in the Unreal Universe).
          I guess in the end humans are just afraid of what they dont understand, its the people who take the time to understand that are worth it
          Me do not understand ! Me not worth ? Messad !
          Damn I transform into Jar Jar Binks...

Comment

Speak for yourself hehe
            That's why I wrote a comma ...but yes, you can interpret it the other way as well.

[MENTION=14867]Darkloser[/MENTION] ...oh I do understand the depth more than anyone else. Depth in German means also Untiefe which means shoal which means in German also Schar translated it would mean flock what also means Gemeinde in German what can mean congregational which would be in ... wait, what was the question?

I thought it was Skaar.
            Last edited by papercoffee; 07-29-2016, 06:21 AM.
            https://ut99.org/download/file.php?a...1487972264.png.......................................................coffee addicted !!!
            UT99.org + Food Fight Mod + Corporation Logos for UT4

Comment

It's a good sign to see the community express so much their love of the franchise, and how they're working (or just yelling ) hard to make it great again. There's a lot of talented people here, I'm always impress with what the community can create.
              Honestly Im not impressed easily and part of that has to do with the fact I live and breath this stuff.

I won't throw any rock at Epic, even if I'm questioning their decisions, as I honestly lack real knowledge about what's going on behind the curtain. I hope like everybody else that they'll consider boosting the development of UT, and have a more frequent interactions with us. I agree with them that we don't know everything, that there's a lot that is hidden in game developpment and that communities are not always right (That's not because the majority say something is right that it is), but yet they should consider more the community's concerns and wishes. We are the customers after all, the one that will pay for the final product, so it's more than normal that we have expectations.
              Certainly dont disagree but the default position shouldnt be you are part of the community therefore we know more than you, even leaders of countries make mistakes but Epic is never willing to just accept theirs and move on to the productive. Its funny when someone is screaming at you, you messed up the easiest way to shut em up is to say simply "youre right!" then the quickest way to resolution is "how can we fix it?" this is how things improve, willful ignorance doesnt seem to solve anything and it also doesnt prove anything either way so it doesnt make anyone right by default.

I personally have issue with Epic because of my treatment directly and thats why you see the tone I use, it was never my default position and still isnt when dealing with Epic. I actually became good friends with Ron Prestonback in the UT3 days while trying to wrap my head around UI Scene and later Preston Thorne with my UDK work, Ive had video conferences with people at Epic (James Golding) and have alot of connections to them through many people so when I talk about what I see at Epic now vs then I feel as though I have been behind the curtain slightly, maybe more so than most. I learnt alot from Wormbo, El Muerte and SolidSnake from Slainchild and Bios, I could go on with the connections I have with the community and have had for a long time, I certainly know my place and am humble enough to know Im not always right.

All I wanted was the respect I feel my time amongst the community earnt me, I felt like I deserve to be more than just a customer but now to this new Epic I feel just another number.
              Last edited by MonsOlympus; 07-29-2016, 06:28 AM.

Comment

Well, I didn't know you past experiences.

I'm just a poor pleb gamer which like to have fun. The only thing I do is participating to a lot of Alpha/Beta tests (most of them fail sadly).
                I'm so weak ! So weak !

Comment

Well, I didn't know you past experiences.

I'm just a poor pleb gamer which like to have fun. The only thing I do is participating to a lot of Alpha/Beta tests (most of them fail sadly).
                  I'm so weak ! So weak !
                  Dont be like that, if it wernt for the gamers us designers wouldnt be of much use would we I mean Im a pleb gamer who likes fun too. Bit hard not to be a tester these days with so much early access, f2p stuff thats released in not so good shape hell Ive had a few full games which made me felt like I was a tester too hehe

Its a pretty cut throat industry, lots of projects do fail even after they make a small fortune because the commitment and time it takes to see it through. Most of what we get isnt the best of the best, its just the stuff that managed to make it through the **** storm lol

Kinda on the topic though, it was always interesting that Supermans alter ego was the regular person
                  Last edited by MonsOlympus; 07-29-2016, 10:01 AM.

Comment

I doubt they have dedicated scientists.
                    Quick! Someone edit a pic of a Skaarj so it's wearing glasses and a labcoat!!
                    It's tough & chewy but tasty, even with the semi-scales. Kinda like dogmeat...

...it's not important how I know this...
                    NOTICE ME UNREAL SENPAI !
                    *facepalms*
                    Last edited by EvilGrins; 08-15-2016, 09:22 PM.
                    Have you hugged a Skaarj today?
                    http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/evilg...0_original.png
                    http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/

Comment

give them the little finger and they eat your whole face off

STOP FINGERING THE SKAARJ!

Comment

Originally posted by EvilGrins View Post
                        STOP FINGERING THE SKAARJ!
                        This sounds wrong on so many levels... I don't even...
                        https://ut99.org/download/file.php?a...1487972264.png.......................................................coffee addicted !!!
                        UT99.org + Food Fight Mod + Corporation Logos for UT4

Comment

This sounds wrong on so many levels... I don't even...
                          Oh good... somebody got that!

Comment

I like pizza

Honestly Im not impressed easily and part of that has to do with the fact I live and breath this stuff.

Certainly dont disagree but the default position shouldnt be you are part of the community therefore we know more than you, even leaders of countries make mistakes but Epic is never willing to just accept theirs and move on to the productive. Its funny when someone is screaming at you, you messed up the easiest way to shut em up is to say simply "youre right!" then the quickest way to resolution is "how can we fix it?" this is how things improve, willful ignorance doesnt seem to solve anything and it also doesnt prove anything either way so it doesnt make anyone right by default.

I personally have issue with Epic because of my treatment directly and thats why you see the tone I use, it was never my default position and still isnt when dealing with Epic. I actually became good friends with Ron Prestonback in the UT3 days while trying to wrap my head around UI Scene and later Preston Thorne with my UDK work, Ive had video conferences with people at Epic (James Golding) and have alot of connections to them through many people so when I talk about what I see at Epic now vs then I feel as though I have been behind the curtain slightly, maybe more so than most. I learnt alot from Wormbo, El Muerte and SolidSnake from Slainchild and Bios, I could go on with the connections I have with the community and have had for a long time, I certainly know my place and am humble enough to know Im not always right.

All I wanted was the respect I feel my time amongst the community earnt me, I felt like I deserve to be more than just a customer but now to this new Epic I feel just another number.
                            "LET'S MAKE SOME GIANT MAP REMAKES"

Comment

Originally posted by AFVENOM View Post
                              I like pizza
                              You know what I like more than pizza... bullet gunz :P

Comment

Working...
                              X