Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Point at which UT4 starts

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Point at which UT4 starts

    Hi,

    The UT universe's time-line's interesting bit starts at 2214 - the beginning of the original Unreal, in which we learn about the Skaarj, Nali, etc. Fast forward, the Liandri Grand Tournament officially begins in 2291, although, UT99 begins somewhere *vaguely* before that, perhaps a decade or so.

    So, from 2214 to 2291, we have a lot of stuff there. Is the point at which UT4 taking place going to be UT99, UT2004, or, possibly, even earlier? Additionally, there's a lot of lore mentioned in the timeline between those two dates, but, there's lore that's been inserted from later games. So, do we wipe all of that? Do we keep it? What do?

    Handy timeline: https://liandri.beyondunreal.com/Timeline

    #2
    Originally posted by Graydar View Post
    Hi,

    The UT universe's time-line's interesting bit starts at 2214 - the beginning of the original Unreal, in which we learn about the Skaarj, Nali, etc. Fast forward, the Liandri Grand Tournament officially begins in 2291, although, UT99 begins somewhere *vaguely* before that, perhaps a decade or so.

    So, from 2214 to 2291, we have a lot of stuff there. Is the point at which UT4 taking place going to be UT99, UT2004, or, possibly, even earlier? Additionally, there's a lot of lore mentioned in the timeline between those two dates, but, there's lore that's been inserted from later games. So, do we wipe all of that? Do we keep it? What do?

    Handy timeline: https://liandri.beyondunreal.com/Timeline
    UT4 is clearly set 100 years before 2291 because the robot faction looks like a prehistoric technology compared to XAN. So its a prequel.

    Also they havent figured out yet how to make the shock rifle deal a lot of damage or hold lots of ammo YET.
    Join the community Facebook page
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Unreal-Tournament-4-Community/302380673298678

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by code187 View Post
      UT4 is clearly set 100 years before 2291 because the robot faction looks like a prehistoric technology compared to XAN. So its a prequel.

      Also they havent figured out yet how to make the shock rifle deal a lot of damage or hold lots of ammo YET.
      The Unreal Tournaments wouldn't have been a thing in 2191 and the robot faction looks rather similar to "the corrupt" from UT99. Liandri weren't even around in 2191.

      From the dev's apparent want to make the teams more lifelike and have in-game advertising for teams and such, I would suggest that UT4 takes place in 2291, since that's the point at which Liandri got invested and it became a bit of a thing.

      Also, I think the shock rifle damage decreased from UT99 from 60 to 45, but idk what the value is in UT4 atm.

      Lastly, interestingly, if we just keep everything before 2291, it would mean that the Hellions are around, as AS_Covoy was apparently an even that happened in 2276.

      Comment


        #4
        AFAIK they have said this is a reboot of the original game.
        HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
        BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Sir_Brizz View Post
          AFAIK they have said this is a reboot of the original game.
          Of UT99, or Unreal?

          Comment


            #6
            UT99.

            Though they also said they weren't completely and utterly sticking to what the lore provided so far. So you might see variation of some things, for exemple see factions that weren't present in UT99.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Sir_Brizz View Post
              AFAIK they have said this is a reboot of the original game.
              Yes, this is a reboot of UT99 which is the original game, but it is not a reboot of the original story. IMHO rebuilding the whole lore is kinda difficult and pointless, the original series has a really good lore and it should be kept in the new game. It has Taye( the brother of Othello), it has Facing Worlds and so on...

              Comment


                #8
                That UT lore can only be related with bullet points is quite telling. In the big picture, it kind of makes sense, but when you zoom in, things get pretty random and inter-relations become quite tenuous.

                UT lore doesn't 'read', it just collects.
                My Unreal game collection. Unreal series screenshots (2560x1440)

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Carbon View Post
                  That UT lore can only be related with bullet points is quite telling. In the big picture, it kind of makes sense, but when you zoom in, things get pretty random and inter-relations become quite tenuous.

                  UT lore doesn't 'read', it just collects.
                  That's what happens when you have a bunch of games that just sort of reference stuff and move on instead of some sort of coherent vision. Perhaps we should scrap everything post UT99 and just flesh out the characters a bit, instead.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I personally could not care if its set 10000bc in a parallel universe. As long as its UT and plays like UT
                    Join the community Facebook page
                    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Unreal-Tournament-4-Community/302380673298678

                    Comment


                      #11
                      This is interesting when the narrative games looks like "It was 6832 phase/cycle since the beginning of the greate war between the titans for the possession of a sphere of existence", then "It was 2235 year when the earth corporations began to colonize Mars and build spaceships in orbit". In the first case it looks like "true old" fantastic story-line, in the second case it looks like modern trends in old games/movies, maybe like a "Starship Troopers" shoot giant insects or something similar.

                      This is not about years 2291, 1291, 891, 191 or 12291 year. It looks like something is approved by the "—Āhurch or history", but not like fantastic plot. I dont like 99 or 2003/2004 in the UT title game. Its obvious, but UT1-2-3 the best names for the game. I think it's better if story contains 4-6 races, based on the UT3 gameworld + UT99 gameworld elements.

                      Today the popular theme of the flat earth, it seems more appropriate and interesting than something "scientific", why not use something like this in the plot for example. Maybe 4-6 reces in one "giant ship" fighting for territory, why not? And the elements of series "Stargate" in UT very interesting - portals, energy, magic. Much of it is in some form has already been used in previous UT games. But, unfortunately, difficult to imagine something singleplayer-online games element in current UT game development.
                      Last edited by Andriushka; 10-04-2016, 09:00 AM.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        I not proposing a story here, I think if they want to make this game better they can make a two-ways gameplay so they they can satisfy Story players lovers and the classic UT99 tournament theme fans so game menu will be:
                        Campaign
                        -Start a new Campaign
                        -Resume Campaign
                        -Select Mission
                        Tournament
                        -Start a new Tournament
                        -Select a Tournament Profile
                        what I want to say is they could make this game a sequel for Unreal Tournament 3 by playing the campaign where it stopped in UT3 and at the same time a reboot for UT99 or even a sequel for it with a small story telling starting from the defeat of Xan by Malcolm as the tournament has been redefined by Liandri Corporation introducing new weapons, rebuild maps, new teams, etc... but this time the game should allow us to select teams(not create a team like UT2K4) and COLOR(Blue/Red)
                        and for both game modes it would be better if the textures be just like this new Unreal Tournament because since UT99 I never saw good environment, UT2K4 was very coming from the real world not from a futuristic world like UT99 and UT3 was very dark and dead because of the nano-black tint allover the maps or chinese environment even Facing Worlds was ridiculous comparing to UT99 but the newer Unreal Tournament is a real masterpiece of environment.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          While I will totally agree that the Unreal lore is pretty cool and interesting, let's be honest, guys. Nobody plays UT for the story. It's not Unreal 4, it's Unreal TOURNAMENT 4. That's the story. A big tournament is happening and you get to participate. Nothing more or less. As to when it happens, yeah, I think this is basically UT99 all over again. Or 2341 to be specific.
                          And still I wait...

                          Comment


                            #14
                            What i always wanted to know:
                            Is the Liandri corporation maybe led by Skaarj bosses?
                            GOod STUff HERe <<

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Probably not. Or it will be an unexpected but kinda dumb plot twist.

                              Seeing as the Skaarj are rather... direct... I think the humans would know immediatly if they were under Skaarj domination.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X