User Tag List

Thread: UTMC_Corrosion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UTMC_Corrosion

On going work on my idea for a level called Corrosion. Iterating on designs and themes, typically I'll get some new shapes out this type of experimentation. From here I will cut and paste from the orthos;with some painting over on my wider angle shots, and work my shots again. I'll be updating very soon with some detailing of my workflow.

Comments and crits always appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The church looks cool. The techy bits, however, feel very much like in UT3, as in they lack visual clarity. Details everywhere, and no defining shape or a way to tell what they're actually supposed to be doing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It reminds me alot of art that could belong in the new Destiny game, or a new Half-Life project. Great work tho!
    | Designer | Copywriter | Writer | Editor | Soundtrack lover | Known as 7eVeN^ since UT'99!
    Follow me at Twitter @Mcjansen

Unreal Tournament Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    The church looks cool. The techy bits, however, feel very much like in UT3, as in they lack visual clarity. Details everywhere, and no defining shape or a way to tell what they're actually supposed to be doing.
    I feel the opposite. They are big bold shapes and silhouettes that read that these are big chunky pieces of machinery. I love the asset breakouts. The one with multiple assets in particular, because they all belong to the same style, and the Environment Artist can get tons of reuse out of a set like that. As an Environment Artist, its great to see guys thinking about asset breakouts like this.

Unreal Tournament Contributor

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice!

I think I see where GreatEmerald was coming from with the UT3 aspect in part; the colour pallet is very UT3. However as Joshua says the silhouettes are strong, if we were to see a less grimy variation they would likely read less UT3. You can kind of see it in the second image.

My only real issue is that the detail is quite top heavy, but you seem to address this as you progress through.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The feedback is appreciated! That 3/4 down shot is still rough and needs some time put into it to flesh it out...I think I'm going to try some 3D on it to figure out the composition better. Comments that I've received beforehand about the tech being too nebulous or undefined are being addressed with 3D mock ups and paint overs.

The asset design was interesting to do. What would an environment artist ultimately like in their style guide before getting started on something like this?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nice work, man. I really like the pillar break outs. They're rendered beautifully and they're also are super useful. I like the environment paintings as well but they feel a little more Gears of War to me.

Rick Kohler

rick.kohler@epicgames.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback Rick. The Gears shape language is still somewhat fresh in my mind after a recent playthrough of GOW 3; trying to remedy this. I've tried another, cleaner, pass on one of my wide-environment shots. Let me know what you guys think.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah yes, much better Now the playing space is nicely defined, and the meshes do fit in. It looks to be a sort of an electricity generator facility.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nice work, Elvis. It's dark but the colors are nice. I like the pillars in your breakout (type 2) better than these but that's nit-picking.

Rick Kohler

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Lil_Elvis congrats on being in the finals! These out door shots are a lot cooler than your indoor UTMC one. I think that was the conversation along when I said that we didnt need to do to do paint overs of screenshots but it was already too late. It's great to see your imagination unrestricted from paintovers. This is a very cool dark industrial environment, it's gritty and cold but still has that fantastical feel to it with the orange wires you've plugged in everywhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very kind input guys. I had some input from the community and decided to give my environment ideas a second go and to give them a wider scope in the composition. I'll be addressing the dark colors of the first redone wide angle very soon here. The next installment ,(attached), was done by working with some: geo from my pillars, Zbrush's bpr, some photo bashing and a bunch of paint. Let me know what edits come to mind when viewing it, and thanks.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I like the colors on this a lot. It feels a little photo-mashy to me and not quite so useful as your other stuff as far as a level concept goes IMO.

Rick Kohler

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sand and a link to some Impact Hammer thumbs

I'll see what I can do with another round on the environment work here. Concentration for the next shot will be on the Crescent like environment with the sky showing. Going to try to do some more with the theme of the desert as well. I have also tried out some thumbnails on the Impact Hammer, if interested it can viewed here:
    https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...708#post116708

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Corrosion more wide shots

Tried some shape stuff out with corrosion1_5 seen at the top of this thread. I liked the circular platforms and the pillars from this image. From there I mixed around elements and palettes till I got some idea play out of it. Corrosion_4_115.jpg is my end result. I started thinking about sniper towers and having to trek through a no man's land. Ideas that came to mind when working on this: Derelict Ship Exterior Interior, Pillar worries (A level in which the pillars can be knocked out to kill opponents). I started to think back on Cloud City(Star Wars Battlefront) and borrowed the platform idea. Let me know your comments and crits.